Author Topic: Level Idea  (Read 64927 times)

tumble_weed

Re: Level Idea
« Reply #15 on: June 28, 2005, 11:55:50 AM »
gah am i too late?

Well I'd like to join
maybe Timb can be the "team leader" and he starts then everyone has a turn at adding/subtracting/changing things in the level...then after everyone it is passed back to Timballisto and he can finish off the level and have the final say on what the level is like

Or possibly we can do multiple collaboration levels...with maybe 2 or 3 people in each, 1 person could start by deciding the specifications of the level such as time, RR, Amount o lemmings, Skills etc and then someone could do the terrain...or something allong those lines  

Offline Timballisto

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 28, 2005, 12:47:48 PM »
Well, we already have six people for level 1, but it's easy enough to have you be the person who starts off group two.

Guest I like your idea about the exit and I like the idea for the statistics distribution.  The stats will be as you said.  Well, if everyone is okay with the current rules, I will start making a level.  If you're not okay with them, then keep this in mind:  I am trying to just get one of these done.  We can always do another one by a different set of rules later.

Offline Isu

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 28, 2005, 05:07:43 PM »
Aack! I've not been online due to Work, and it seems that everything is decided without me X_X.

Anyway, coming to this Cheapo/Lemedit decision, it would be much preferred if I could participate in a Cheapo level. I would have a lot more hassle creating a level in Lemedit than in Cheapo.

Offline Shvegait

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 28, 2005, 06:11:34 PM »
I think that LemEdit would be more conducive to this sort of thing in some ways because of how terrain pieces are managed, while in Cheapo the level is basically a bitmap.

What are the rules on Erasers/Black pieces?

Offline geoo

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 28, 2005, 07:02:14 PM »
I'd like to take part too, if this isn't a problem.
I prefer LemEdit, maybe if one of the first group prefers Cheapo,
someone else (meaning me in that case ;)) could do his job. (If the first group is a LemEdit group)
If I can't, no problem either.

Little question:
Do you think the idea of the part edited by a person should be given to the next one not to destroy it?

« Reply #20 on: June 28, 2005, 09:24:57 PM »
Quote from: Shvegait  link=1119907802/15#18 date=1119982294
What are the rules on Erasers/Black pieces?

Quote from: geoo89  link=1119907802/15#19 date=1119985334
Do you think the idea of the part edited by a person should be given to the next one not to destroy it?

I believe that was Tim's intent, that you are only to add stuff, not remove or change existing stuff from other people.

So my interpretation would be that you can't use eraser or black pieces to remove pixels already laid out by existing people.  You can still add new terrain pieces over what was already there, but you should make a sound judgment whether your addition would be considered a bad interference on the existing stuff.

I also suggest that each time someone adds their stuff to the level, don't just e-mail the next person, e-mail everyone involved in the chain.  That way everyone is always kept in the loop regarding how the level is evolving and can therefore provide feedback or make preparations as necessary.

tumble_weed

« Reply #21 on: June 28, 2005, 11:05:59 PM »
oh well if we are having 2 groups we can have cheapo and lemedit....

I would go lemedit

...anyway maybe what we could do is start of with a solution such as "a level that involves using one level to free a second group of lemmings in another area of the level" so then people have a vague idea of what they are making...instead of everybody changing around the level each time

That way maybe the first person could start off with the basic...entrance, exit, some skills and some basic terrain and then the rest of the people could go from there and make the level better.

Offline Mindless

• Inactive - may respond to PM.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 29, 2005, 12:39:19 AM »
Quote from: guest  link=1119907802/15#20 date=1119993897
I also suggest that each time someone adds their stuff to the level, don't just e-mail the next person, e-mail everyone involved in the chain.  That way everyone is always kept in the loop regarding how the level is evolving and can therefore provide feedback or make preparations as necessary.

It would be even better to ftp it up somewhere.

Also, the the level's filename should include the revision number. (ex. xxxxxx00.lvl ... xxxxxx99.lvl)

Offline Mindless

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 29, 2005, 06:27:17 AM »
Here's an upload/download portal I've made.  Tell me if it doesn't work.
http://it.travisbsd.org/lemmings/lemmingswelt/

tumble_weed

« Reply #24 on: June 29, 2005, 07:30:51 AM »
Nice.

it works...I uploaded:

hghf
TWPAK00.dat

You can delete these...I was testing ;)

Offline Timballisto

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 29, 2005, 01:50:18 PM »
Wow.  Nice.  That should make things much easier!

Well.  Ug.  Lots of input here.  The cheapo groups can decide their own rules as I am not quite familiar enough with cheapo to decide anything for anyone.

TW, I like your solution idea.  However, I want to see how a level would go and I will do what I said earlier, only I'll put you in place of Isu since he doesn't want to do lemedit.

geoo89...uh...you can be in the second lemedit group.

1.me
-terrain set
2.Conway
-lemmings given
3.Tumble weed
-RR
4.Isane Steve
-lemmings needed
5.Shvegait
-title
6.Guest
-time

Again, we can try all of the rules that are stated here in the second level and I am more than willing to do that.

If we follow the rules...

-We should and up with 60 or less terrain pieces.
-We should end up with 26 or less objects (this one will be easy enough)
-We should end up with 18 or less steel areas (also fairly easy)

Okay.  I'm done with my 3rd level pack so I'll start us off.

Conway

« Reply #26 on: June 29, 2005, 08:44:52 PM »
So, is 60 terrain pieces the amount the level can contain altogether, or is that each member's quota?

Offline Timballisto

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 29, 2005, 09:21:44 PM »
That's each member's quota put together.

Offline Mindless

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 29, 2005, 09:51:54 PM »
Apparently my script doesn't like spaces in filenames... I'll try to fix it, but for right now replace spaces w/ underscores.

Fixed. Tell me if there are any problems.

Offline Timballisto

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 30, 2005, 11:19:39 AM »
Okay! &#A0;Level 1-1 is done. &#A0;Now it's Conway's turn. &#A0;

JA JA JA Get the level...HERE

If anyone wants the current solution then get this

Solution file type thing...yea