Author Topic: Level Idea  (Read 64924 times)

tumble_weed

Re: Level Idea
« Reply #195 on: August 01, 2005, 11:07:53 AM »
I'm always up for another Lemedit one..If noone minds I want to go first for the Lemedit one

JM

« Reply #196 on: August 01, 2005, 11:23:07 AM »
I would do the release rate for the Lemedit level.

Conway

« Reply #197 on: August 01, 2005, 11:40:56 AM »
How's this:

Insane Steve (size, style)
geoo89 (release rate)
Adam
Ahribar (number of lemmings)
guest (number to be saved)
Isu
Shvegait (time)
Conway (title, intro, screen start)

Terrain quota: 10 per person
Object quota (including steel and one-way walls): 4 per person
Skills: 5 per person

Adam and Isu could maybe have 12 terrain pieces, 5 objects and 6 skills each, since (chosen at random) they've been left out of choosing the level statistics, or somebody else could volunteer instead.

?

Hints are just an optional extra. We don't really need them. If you like, we could just add one each to explain what each of us did.

Anything/anyone I'm missing?

Offline geoo

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #198 on: August 01, 2005, 12:09:35 PM »
geoo89 (release rate)
Adam
Isu  
Shvegait (time)

You forgot someone to set the music.

And I would suggest to set the lemmings needed later, cause otherwise the ones after lemmings needed is set can't build the level in that way that some lems may be killed if the lemmings to save is set at the maximum for that time.
Size could be chosen later too, because in that way I can be set that it matches better to the level, otherwise I could be just too short for the last ones to continue editing or have a large bad-looking space.
But the lemmings to let out could be set at the beginning, at least a bit earlier.

A problem was the exit last time as far as I can say that 'cause I wasn't in that time.
I think first one sets the exit and it stays there is a not so good idea because he has to strech the level very much and that way it's hard to build in a puzzle, also this time there are 8 persons taking part, so the level should be even longer than the first one, otherwise the last ones can only add little details to the level and not larger puzzle-like ideas.
How about this: First one sets an exit, and everyone can move it for a certain maximum amount of pixel later.

Offline Isu

• View Profile
« Reply #199 on: August 01, 2005, 05:34:24 PM »
Quote from: guest  link=1119907802/180#193 date=1122868367
Isu's giving me the impression that we had 6 people + Adam = 7.  Somehow Insane Steve doesn't count as far as Isu' concerned.  ;P

I said that if Insane Steve were in this he would be before Geoo99. Stop saying that I said there were six (well I did say there were six in a later post, but that's not the point). If Insane Steve hadn't confused me as to how he was involved, then that wouldn't have happened.
Jesus, I am so bad at organizing things :-(.

Here are my views on the statistics:
Quote from: Conway  link=1119907802/180#193 date=1122896401
geoo89 (release rate)
Adam
Isu  
Shvegait (time)

Terrain quota: 10 per person
Skills: 5 per person

Hmm... I could choose the music and the title doesn't really  count, because I imagine it'll just be called Group contributed level or something like that.

I agree with Geoo99 on the size of the level. We should be able to increase the size at will. I do not think that it should be allowed for anyone to decrease the size though. Better still, set the size for 1500x1500 and have the last person (Conway, in this case) crop the level after completing it.

Is there anything else I need to get off my chest? No, I think I'm done, for now...

EDIT: Oops, I got Guest and Geoo99 mixed up.O_o

« Reply #200 on: August 01, 2005, 06:26:49 PM »
Quote from: Isu  link=1119907802/195#199 date=1122917664
I said that if Insane Steve were in this he would be before Geoo99. Stop saying that I said there were six (well I did say there were six in a later post, but that's not the point).

Hehe, that's all right, I wasn't being serious.  ;P

the title doesn't really &#A0;count, because I imagine it'll just be called Group contributed level or something like that.

I don't agree with that.  It's going to get really boring if every group level ends up with a title like that.

-----------------

On another note, I think geoo89's idea about the exit is brilliant and we should at least try adopting the idea on this level to see how it works out.

Offline chaos_defrost

• the artist formerly known as Insane Steve
    • View Profile
« Reply #201 on: August 01, 2005, 09:06:40 PM »
Ok then. If I am going to start, I'll have something up soon. Maybe later today.

As for the style, what would you all prefer to work with? I saw two people mention the ISWorld.sty style, although it seems a bit narcissistic to just go ahead with this style. That said, anyone have any serious objections to the style?
"こんなげーむにまじになっちゃってどうするの"

~"Beat" Takeshi Kitano

« Reply #202 on: August 02, 2005, 12:22:01 AM »
Quote from: guest  link=1119907802/195#200 date=1122920809
On another note, I think geoo89's idea about the exit is brilliant and we should at least try adopting the idea on this level to see how it works out.

So what do people think about being allowed to move the exit away from the entrance by max of 80 pixels horizontal and 50 pixels vertical?

80 and 50 because that's 1/4 of 320 and 200 respectively, so in other words, you can move the exit at most a quarter of a screen's width and height.

Too much?  Too little?

Another thing worth mentioning:  it's pretty obvious, but once the initial release rate has been decided, you probably shouldn't add new entrances to the level, since that changes the dynamics of how lemmings are released on all existing entrances.

« Reply #203 on: August 02, 2005, 12:28:56 AM »
Quote from: Conway  link=1119907802/195#197 date=1122896456
How's this:

geoo89 (release rate)
Adam
Isu
Shvegait (time)

We don't really need to give Conway 3 things to worry about.  I think it is perfectly reasonable to have one person do the title, then someone else after him do the intro.  Screen start can be done in any order, together with other statistics or by itself.

Background color is also technically a possible setting, even though 99% of the levels out there uses black.

I forgot, but I was under the impression that the quotas for LemEdit counts steel areas separately from other interactive objects.  Of course, we don't have to follow that.

Offline Proxima

• View Profile
« Reply #204 on: August 02, 2005, 01:52:37 AM »
Damn timezones :P I've missed most of the discussion. Here are my thoughts.

Screen start is a very small thing (and if there's only one entrance it's pretty much decided anyway) so it's only fair to give that to someone with something else. I suggest:

Insane Steve -- style
geoo89 -- number of lemmings
Adam -- release rate
Ahribar -- music
guest -- number to save
Isu -- time
Shvegait -- title
Conway -- intro text and screen start

I've deliberately rearranged a little so as not to give Isu the title, if "Group contributed level" is the best he can come up with :D I also don't approve of deciding the release rate first, even before the number of lemmings.

Please, please don't let's mess with background colour....... :P

Hints: I like Conway's idea, but I don't want to end up with eight hints. Let's say everyone has an optional quota of 1 hint they can add if they like. You can't change the order of existing hints, but you can add yours at any position in the order.

Size: go with Isu's idea of starting at maximum (1500x1500) and cropping the level at the end -- that works best, I think.

Entrances and exits: I think it is a good idea to allow exits, but no other objects, to be moved once placed. Instead of a quota of how far you're allowed to move them, I suggest that a move counts as using up one of your quota of objects. (I initially thought two, but since you only get four that's maybe a bit harsh.)

Could we have a quota of, say, 2 terrain erasures per person? Just in case there are annoying fiddly bits that you can't quite get to work?

Style: I would have chosen one of mine if I'd been first, so I can't say it's unfair that you choose one of yours..........

« Reply #205 on: August 02, 2005, 05:15:29 AM »
Quote from: Ahribar  link=1119907802/195#204 date=1122947557
Hints: I like Conway's idea, but I don't want to end up with eight hints. Let's say everyone has an optional quota of 1 hint they can add if they like. You can't change the order of existing hints, but you can add yours at any position in the order.

I don't even know the hint feature actually works in Cheapo.  (Don't seem to remember ever seeing it on anyone's levels.)  So how does it work?  Is it related to those I think so-called "hint arrow" objects?

Entrances and exits: I think it is a good idea to allow exits, but no other objects, to be moved once placed. Instead of a quota of how far you're allowed to move them, I suggest that a move counts as using up one of your quota of objects.

Ok, sounds fine.  Do realize though that this is probably less restrictive than what I suggested (not that I'm complaining ;)), since if the last group level is of any indication, people rarely reached their quotas on objects.

Could we have a quota of, say, 2 terrain erasures per person? Just in case there are annoying fiddly bits that you can't quite get to work?

Well, in LemEdit, there are no erasers but you can turn any terrain pieces into effectively an eraser, so I think in there the black pieces were part of the terrain quota.  I'm fine here with either the 2 terrain erasure as a separate quota or as something to be taken out of the terrain quota.

« Reply #206 on: August 02, 2005, 05:20:41 AM »
Quote from: Ahribar  link=1119907802/195#204 date=1122947557
Please, please don't let's mess with background colour....... :P

LOL  :D  Funny you said that, when considering your Minesweeper level is almost like using a background color (I know it isn't, but you know what I mean.)

Anyway, I do agree in that 99% of the styles out there more or less assumes (ie. works best with) a black background anyhow.

Offline geoo

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #207 on: August 02, 2005, 07:18:25 AM »
Quote from: guest  link=1119907802/195#205 date=1122959729
I don't even know the hint feature actually works in Cheapo.  (Don't seem to remember ever seeing it on anyone's levels.)  So how does it work?  Is it related to those I think so-called "hint arrow" objects?
If you hit Esc during the game, a bar at the top appears with options "Game", "Level" and "Hints", in Hints: "First hint", "Next hint", "Previous hint".
You can get hints there (if the author built some in).
E.g. Insane Steve often uses hints in his levels.

Offline Proxima

• View Profile
« Reply #208 on: August 02, 2005, 07:44:21 AM »
Or, hit ctrl-H for first hint, ctrl-N for next hint, and ctrl-S to make the hint disappear when you've finished with it.

Hint arrows can be set to appear together with a hint, if you want to pinpoint a particular location -- to make it clearer what your hint refers to, or to reveal the location of a hidden object if you're feeling generous. The hint object's data number determines which number hint it appears with. (If you leave it at 0, they won't appear at all.)

Offline chaos_defrost

• the artist formerly known as Insane Steve
    • View Profile
« Reply #209 on: August 03, 2005, 03:01:33 PM »
You know, I really don't have the time for making too many more levels. Therefore, I'm scratching myself from the Cheapo level, and deferring the style selection/first move to geoo89. My apologies for this, but preparations for my trip are taking quite a while.
"こんなげーむにまじになっちゃってどうするの"

~"Beat" Takeshi Kitano