Author Topic: I'm in trouble with LemEdit..  (Read 10829 times)

HK_Ahn

I'm in trouble with LemEdit..
« on: June 19, 2005, 02:55:32 PM »
I'm making my own lemmings with LemEdit tools..

I was going to make lemmings verson of 'Original lemmings', not 'On no! more lemmings'

But I can't find missing stages of original lemmings.

There is 10 stage files ( Level***.date ) that contains 8 stages each.

Where is 40 stages?? Please help me to find.. T^T;;

Thank you

Offline geoo

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: I'm in trouble with LemEdit..
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2005, 03:55:20 PM »
Some levels appear more than one time in the game but with different skills.
e.g. Fun 1 (Just dig) with 10 diggers is Tricky 15 (Ozone friedly lemmings) with 5 exploders.

Offline Isu

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2005, 04:16:14 PM »
40 repeats are hidden in the oddtable.dat file. open it with a hex editor and edit at will. This means that you'll have your own levels repeated. Unless you can figure out how to change what levels are repeated then you'll have to live with it.

« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2005, 06:13:37 PM »
I was under the impression that oddtable.dat spells out exactly which levels were repeated (that is, it specifies which level of which .dat file to load a level from, in addition to the actual skillset, RR, etc. to be used in place of), but maybe not.  You know the format to oddtable.dat?

Offline Isu

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2005, 06:23:12 PM »
Err... No. I just saw It contained all the repeats. I edited it a bit and the change showed in the game. Thats all. If it does point-out what level it's repeating, then we could overhaul the DOS version of lemmings, wouldn't that be fun. :P

« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2005, 07:01:12 PM »
Ok, I had a quick look at it and it looks like it just contains the replacement title, replacement RR, replacement number of lemmings out/to be saved, and replacement skillsets.  But it doesn't specify which file to load the level from as I originally expected.

So no overhaul at this point.  ;P  Of course, that necessary information still needs to be stored somewhere......

« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2005, 07:30:12 PM »
Quote from: guest  link=1119192933/0#5 date=1119207672
Of course, that necessary information still needs to be stored somewhere......

I just noticed there are a total of 80 entries in oddtable.dat (counting the non-used entries marked "This is a non-used duplicate").  Hmm...there are also a total of 80 levels in the 10 level00X.dat files.  I wonder......

So I opened up the level00X.dat files and compare, and sure enough, there is a one-to-one correspondence between the entries in oddtable.dat and level00X.dat.

For example, in level000.dat, the levels are:

"This should be a doodle!"
"What an AWESOME level"
"MENACING!!"
"One way digging to freedom"
"A BeastII of a level"
"All the 6`s........"
"Turn around young lemmings!"
"From The Boundary Line"

if you look at the first 8 entries of oddtable.dat, you'll see the entries are

"This is a non-used duplicate"
"Not as complicated as it looks"
"Patience"

Notice how the non-used duplicates corresponds to the first 6 levels in level000.dat which are never repeated.  The 7th entry in oddtable.dat is a repeat of the 7th level in level000.dat, and the 8th entry in oddtable.dat is a repeat of the 8th level in level000.dat.

You'll find something similar as you continue on.  For example, the next 8 entries (entries 9th-16th) in oddtable.dat has a correspondence with the 8 levels in level001.dat, then the next 8 oddtable entries correspond to the 8 levels in level002.dat, etc.

(And in case you're wondering how "We all fall down" are repeated 4 times, well, it turns out there are 2 copies of the level in the level00X.dat files:  one in level001.dat, and another in level006.dat.)

So it looks like oddtable.dat is better named duplicates.dat.  It looks like for each of the 80 levels in the various level00X.dat files, you can specify a duplicate version via the corresponding entry in oddtable.dat.

Then somewhere else, unfortunately not in oddtable.dat, there is a master list of the 120 levels actually used.  It's this master list that specifies where to find the level, and whether to use the "original" or "duplicate [oddtable]" version.

HK_Ahn

« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2005, 08:37:49 AM »
Thank you everyone for helping me.. ^-^
I have another wondering question...   Do you know how to edit "special level"?
Like... "A Beast of a level".. You know we can't open it with LemEdit..

How can we edit that level?

« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2005, 09:11:07 AM »
There isn't much you can do with those levels, but read this thread:

http://eng-forum.lemmingswelt.de/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.cgi?board=news;action=display;num=1117659057

Offline Isu

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2005, 05:58:32 PM »
Quote from: guest  link=1119192933/0#6 date=1119209412
I just noticed there are a total of 80 entries in oddtable.dat (counting the non-used entries marked "This is a non-used duplicate").

I wondered what all those non-used duplicates were for...
Quote from: guest  link=1119192933/0#6 date=1119209412
Then somewhere else, unfortunately not in oddtable.dat, there is a master list of the 120 levels actually used.  It's this master list that specifies where to find the level, and whether to use the "original" or "duplicate [oddtable]" version.

That data, is probably in the main.dat file. There appears to be somthing at hex adress 21D1. I can't be too clear on that though.

Offline Mindless

• Inactive - may respond to PM.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 20, 2005, 11:03:18 PM »
Quote from: Isu  link=1119192933/0#9 date=1119290312
That data, is probably in the main.dat file. There appears to be somthing at hex adress 21D1. I can't be too clear on that though.

I'm not seeing whatever you're seeing... but in any case main.dat is compressed, so whatever you see there has no meaning. This decompressed main.dat might have some relevence.
Note that DATs are compressed in sections, and each section is named accordingly. (main.dat.1, main.dat.2, main.dat.3...)

Offline Isu

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 21, 2005, 05:15:11 PM »
Oh, OK. i saw a few some bytes that looked like they were connetced in some way, thats all...

JM

« Reply #12 on: July 28, 2005, 01:03:48 PM »
Quote from: HK_Ahn  link=1119192933/0#7 date=1119256669
Thank you everyone for helping me.. ^-^
I have another wondering question...   Do you know how to edit "special level"?
Like... "A Beast of a level".. You know we can't open it with LemEdit..

How can we edit that level?

For those special levels you can edit everything but the terrain. If you play on my level pack JM04.dat you will see that Level 5 A Beast of a level strikes back has the skills,level name and objects edited. If you need help in editing that level drop me an email at thetransplants2@hotmail.com

Leviathan

« Reply #13 on: July 28, 2005, 03:55:35 PM »
I've sucessfully made a very difficult version of Menacing named "VERY MENACING !!" :)

If only I could upload it somewhere then I could share it with the rest...

I'm going to change 2 more things to make it really a tight fit...only 19 builders and 4 minutes of time,why you need more builders becomes obvious when you play the level.

Conway

« Reply #14 on: July 28, 2005, 10:03:14 PM »
You can email it to benjconway79@yahoo.co.uk and I'll upload it. Or you could sign up to a file hosting service.

Offline Mindless

• Inactive - may respond to PM.
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 29, 2005, 06:15:53 AM »

Leviathan

« Reply #16 on: July 29, 2005, 01:11:47 PM »
Ok thanks :)

I'll post it in the level designing topic :)