Author Topic: Lemmings 2 & 3 on Windows 98  (Read 23868 times)

Offline Mr. K

• Former admin, always Lemmings fan
    • View Profile
    • Wafflenet
Re: Lemmings 2 & 3 on Windows 98
« Reply #15 on: August 05, 2004, 12:42:35 PM »
BTW, I screwed up. Lemmings 3 should run, but my PC is too fast. Setup gives me runtime error, but when I run the game, I get "unable to calibrate timer". Can't get DOSbox to even run at an OK speed no matter what. I can only run games made for the 286 and lower.

Mad_Max

« Reply #16 on: October 02, 2004, 09:27:59 PM »
I didn't had any problems running Lemmings 2 under DOSBox, but the game didn't turned out to be fully playable. Whenever I would finish a level, there would be a 15% chance that it would make DOSBox crash because of an unhandled code problem.

Oh, and concerning DOSBox, I found out that a new version (0.62) has been released lately. It can be downloaded on DOSBox's site:

http://dosbox.sourceforge.net

I'll check out if Lemmings 2 still crashes on that new version.

Offline DragonsLover

• Do you want fire?
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 04, 2004, 02:30:24 PM »
I tried Lemmings 2 under Dosbox, but it doesn't want to start. The screen is always jammed on the memory scan! Can you tell me how you did to start the game? Pleeeease!!! :'(
I like dragons! They're the center of my life! I'll never forget them...

Mad_Max

« Reply #18 on: October 07, 2004, 05:01:43 PM »
Have you downloaded it from an abandonware site, unzipped it and ran it straight away? If so, the game will hang up at the memory scan bit because the game isn't properly installed.

Did you run the install program in order to configure your soundcard? Make sure you do so, as the install program also generates additional data that the executable file needs to read in order to run. If you don't do so, it will freeze at the startup like you mentionned. Oddly enough, this was the only thing I needed to do in order to run it under DOSBox.

This should work, although I suggest that you save regulary, DOSBox sometimes crashes when you finish a level. Although it doesn't happen that often, it always happen in those unwanted moments (like going through an entire tribe without saving, finishing the last level with only gold medals and BANG, DOSBox generates a warning error and crash, extremely annoying!). Apart from that bug, the game is pretty much all playable in the latest versions of DOSBox.

Offline DragonsLover

• Do you want fire?
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 07, 2004, 08:57:41 PM »
On the Dosbox games website, Lemmings 2 doesn't work very well with v0.58 and v0.60. Have you tried using v0.61 and v0.62?

Also, thanks to your suggestions.

Another question: Should I run the Install program under Dos or under Dosbox?

Mad_Max

« Reply #20 on: October 07, 2004, 09:57:19 PM »
I've been able to make it work by running the setup program under Windows XP. So, I guess you can easily get away with it by running it either on Windows or DOS. Simply fill the default values for the Sound Blaster card if you want to run the game on DosBox (Lemmings 2's default soundcard settings are the ones that DosBox uses by default, if you haven't changed anything there, the sound will work correctly).

For your information, I use DosBox 0.62.

Offline DragonsLover

• Do you want fire?
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 08, 2004, 12:05:17 AM »
I tried with the Lemmings 2 English version with the crack l2-fix.exe and it doesn't work!

I tried with the Lemmings 2 French version with the 2 disks contain (downloaded from a website) and it doesn't work too!

IT DOESN'T WORK AT ALL!!! :'(

G3K

« Reply #22 on: October 08, 2004, 07:00:42 AM »
I know this isn't the most technical of approaches, but if worst comes to worst, you can download the Megadrive/Genesis version of L2 from PlanetEmu.

Best of all for you, it's in French :D

Conan Allcorn

« Reply #23 on: October 24, 2004, 01:16:53 AM »
I'm also working on running Lemmings 2: The Tribes on my 366MHz Laptop.

I've managed to run it from the Safe Mode Command Prompt: in this version it gives me full sound fx but only the most basic music.

I seem to be having a copy-protection bug?  Which is to say, I actually have the purchased version (manual, tech support doc, box, official 1993 release 3.5" floppy disks and so on), yet I cannot progress beyond level 1 of any given tribe, nor do the save or load commands work.  I have read snippets about this possibly being a copy-protection bug - and although this doesn't make sense given that I possess the full purchased version, SOMETHING is preventing me from getting anywhere nonetheless.

Any help?

Andi

« Reply #24 on: October 24, 2004, 07:48:57 AM »
Seems like the copy protection system is kinda messed up with the new System. Try a crack.

Conan Allcorn

« Reply #25 on: October 24, 2004, 11:57:26 PM »
I've looked for this specific crack - but all I have found are incomplete versions of the game itself and a fix for the OS/2 that didn't come with instructions or explanation anyway.

Apparently my netsearch skills leave something to be desired - can anyone point me to a specific file that actually works?

:(

Andi

« Reply #26 on: October 25, 2004, 03:08:32 PM »

Offline DragonsLover

• Do you want fire?
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 02, 2005, 04:40:03 AM »
I'm back!

ALLELUIA!!! I know how to run Lemmings 2 under Dosbox! It was simple: Just mount the directory of the game with the letter C and the game works perfectly! I'M SO HAPPY! :thumbsup:

Also, do you know where can I find McAleed for Lemmings 3?

Offline DragonsLover

• Do you want fire?
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 02, 2005, 02:00:55 PM »
Oh! I've found a website where it is possible to download the version 1.53 of Lemmings 3!

There it is:
* Forget it *

C. Grossbe

« Reply #29 on: May 25, 2005, 12:05:00 AM »
Hiho i have tried all of the above and had no luck.

im using win2000 and dosbox 0.63
i tried ure config file but still no luck. this is waht i get:

Lemmings 2 (c)1992 DMA Design
Error Handler : Error Number 0002
196480 bytes Main memory used
25792 bytes Expanded memory used
349456 bytes Main memory free
15637312 bytes Expanded memory free
1432 bytes of Data Space free
DOS Error : 2 : File not found
press any key to continue...

in dosbox 0.63