Author Topic: [OBSOLETE] Submissions for auto-downloadable graphic sets  (Read 9641 times)

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
[OBSOLETE] Submissions for auto-downloadable graphic sets
« on: May 03, 2016, 09:52:34 PM »
This topic is no longer relevant. This relates to the old formats version of NeoLemmix. While existing style downloads for it will remain available, no additions or updates will be made. Please do not create new content targetting outdated versions of NeoLemmix.

So, I thought I'd make one place for this rather than having it all over the place.

If you've made a graphic set and would like it to be added to the auto-downloadable graphic sets list, please post here with a link to the topic (or other place) where the graphic set was originally posted. Please also post here if you update a graphic set that's already on the list.

Note that it is up to graphic set creators to submit their graphic sets. I am not going to add every graphic set I see if it hasn't specifically been requested for addition, or ask the author every time whether they want it added.

Please ONLY post in this topic if it's to request the addition of a set, notify of an update to a set, or to point out why a request should not be accepted. Any discussion about the sets (beyond pointing out lack of compliance with the rules) should go in the topics about those sets, instead.

Requirements to be accepted

Naming - The graphic set must follow the standard naming convention.
This is that the name should contain some kind of reference to either the creator, or a pack it's associated with; followed by an underscore; followed by the name of the set. The name should also be in all-lowercase.
Some examples from sets that are already on the list:
ichotolot_dune - Author name + set name
lpv_abstract - Pack name + set name
Note that this rule is not retroactively applied to sets that already had a non-conforming name but predate this rule. Such sets may continue to use their existing name, as keeping the name consistent is more important.

Status - The graphic set must be complete.
This does not mean that once submitted it can never be updated. However, it means that it shouldn't be a work in progress; finish it first, then submit it. Once that's done, if it needs an update at some point, that's fine.

Public Use - The graphic set must be free for anyone to use.
If the graphic set is only for your own use in your own projects, build it into your NXPs instead. Remember that not only NeoLemmix itself, but also the Editor and the Flexi Toolkit, can access the downloadable graphic sets, so submitting it would inherently allow anyone to create levels with it.

Related Objects - The graphic set must not contain one object within a set of related objects, unless it contains all of them.
In the case of objects that are meant to work together, or are related, the graphic set must contain all of them. This means:
- The graphic set either contains all three directions of one-way arrow, or it doesn't contain one-way arrows at all.
- The graphic set either contains both directions of one-way field, or it doesn't contain one-way fields at all.
- The graphic set does not contain a teleporter unless it also contains a receiver, and vice versa.
- The graphic set does not contain unlock buttons unless it also contains a locked exit. The reverse however is allowed, since unlock buttons exist in various sets and have mostly taken on one of two standard appearances, so there is no need to duplicate them.

NeoLemmix Standards - The graphic set must be up to the standards of the latest NeoLemmix versions, or in some cases, a near-future version.
This means that, for example, it should not have large no-effect objects intended for use as backgrounds; instead, the proper background features should be used. The graphic set should not contain no-longer-supported object types, unless the graphic set predates the removal of those types and the object is kept to avoid altering the index of pieces (even then, it should ideally be replaced with a placeholder object with no sprite and no effect). Steel terrain pieces should be marked as steel. If the graphic set is converted from another engine, objects that NeoLemmix doesn't support should be removed (or in some cases, kept as no-effect or another new type of object, at the convertor's discretion). Et cetera.

Quality - Even if the above rules are all met, low-quality graphic sets may be rejected.
This means basically, if your graphic set looks like it was made in MS Paint by someone who's never seen a computer before, it probably won't be accepted even if it meets the above rules. This doesn't mean you have to be a world-class artist; it just means your graphic set needs to look like some effort was put into it.

When in the future, the new graphic set format is introduced, any graphic set which has been accepted to the auto-downloadable list, I will take care of updating them unless the author wants to do it themself, provided that the pieces have been given proper names.

If you want to check whether a set is on the list, you can do so here: http://online.neolemmix.com/styles.php
(The numbers next to the set names are the date they were last updated, in YYYYMMDDHHMMSS format. In the past, I just put zeros for the HHMMSS part, but these days the list is auto-generated.)
« Last Edit: March 17, 2018, 04:21:44 AM by namida »
My Lemmings projects
2D Lemmings: NeoLemmix (engine) | Lemmings Plus Series (level packs) | Doomsday Lemmings (level pack)
3D Lemmings: Loap (engine) | L3DEdit (level / graphics editor) | L3DUtils (replay / etc utility) | Lemmings Plus 3D (level pack)

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
Re: Submissions for auto-downloadable graphic sets
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2016, 09:48:17 PM »
One more thing:

Note that this is just a strong recommendation, and not a requirement.

I highly recommend that in all new graphic sets, the exit (and other objects, where applicable) should be made as a single piece if possible rather than split into two like the L1 sets. This will make conversion to the new version of NeoLemmix more straightforward once it's time for that. The reason they're split in L1 is to reduce memory usage and improve performance; back in the DOS days this was often critical, but it is not nessecary these days.

Some cases where you may want to keep it as two seperate objects are if you have more than one possible animation (think like the Honeycomb set in LPV), or if it's a locked exit and thus half of it needs a triggered animation while the other half needs a constant one.

Once again - this isn't critical, just preferable.
My Lemmings projects
2D Lemmings: NeoLemmix (engine) | Lemmings Plus Series (level packs) | Doomsday Lemmings (level pack)
3D Lemmings: Loap (engine) | L3DEdit (level / graphics editor) | L3DUtils (replay / etc utility) | Lemmings Plus 3D (level pack)

Offline GigaLem

• The Dog That Brought Lemmings to Avalice
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2016, 06:56:10 AM »
"Please ONLY post in this topic if it's to request the addition of a set"
Does this apply to multiple sets at once?
These are all the sets i've made for FPXLemmings (plus the green hill edit)

Change log

gigalem_Dragon
-New Exit
-night time background
-Beta tiles added from the older builds (Sage demo-later backer builds)

gigalem_Jade
-New Exit
-a better trap to replace the crappy slow one
Quick fix! 30-7-16
-fixed trigger area for the exit

gigalem_GHZ
-New name
-fixed the preplaced lemming
-a couple backgrounds for the sky
-clouds are now moving backgrounds

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2016, 08:12:26 PM »
Yes, multiple sets at once is fine. I don't have internet access on a PC until later tonight; once I do I'll put them up. :)

EDIT: They're up now.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2016, 06:21:30 PM by namida »
My Lemmings projects

Offline GigaLem

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2016, 05:26:55 AM »
Quick Fix! gigalem_Dragon
-Fixed trigger area for exit

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2016, 08:09:05 AM »
Uploaded.
My Lemmings projects

Offline IchoTolot

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2016, 10:25:52 AM »
As the beta is now over, I would like to submit my Dune tileset as well for the auto-download. :)
« Last Edit: August 23, 2016, 08:59:56 PM by IchoTolot »

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2016, 08:53:21 AM »
Uploaded (I used the version from your PM, as that appears to be more recent).

Since I hadn't mentioned this I accepted the name as-is and converted it to lowercase myself but for future please note: Your username (or the name of an associated level pack) should come first, and the filename should be all lowercase (NeoLemmix itself is not case-sensitive, but the web server that styles get downloaded from is). I've edited the first post to make this more clear.
My Lemmings projects

Offline IchoTolot

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2016, 09:00:49 PM »
Dune update for the Spice pipe trap attached!

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2016, 09:28:51 PM »
Done!
My Lemmings projects

Offline Wafflem

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 26, 2016, 01:17:59 PM »
Clarification question on Rule 2:
I've added lots of NeoLemmix objects to jarv156's Lemmini Future tileset like teleporter/receiver, unlock button/locked exit, splat/antisplat pads, splitter, pickup skills, one-way down arrows and pre-placed lemmings. The only objects I have not yet included are slowfreeze, radiation, one-way fields and single-use trap (not sure if I will even include the first two). I want to add a single-use trap as well as one-way fields, but I don't have the animation capabilities to make them (only recoloring abilities).

If I submit this for auto-download, but then months later I eventually figure out how to animate a single-use trap, will it be ok if I re-submit the graphic set with the single-use trap?

Rule 1 question:
Since jarv156 originally created this tileset, shall I name it to jarv_156future.dat? This should also apply to the Green Hill Zone, which was originally made by Ben Conway (so it should be something like Conway_GHZ).
« Last Edit: August 28, 2016, 09:13:22 PM by Wafflem »
YouTube: www.tinyurl.com/YTWafflem
Twitch: www.twitch.tv/Wafflem467

Have level designer's block right now? Have some of my incomplete levels for LOTS of ideas!

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #11 on: August 28, 2016, 12:57:43 AM »
Re: Rule 1, I assume you mean jarv156_future; yes, that would be good.

Re: Rule 2, yes, that's okay. The rule is more meant to target graphic sets that are still in development or not tested well, rather than those that simply get a few more additions at a later point in time.
My Lemmings projects

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #12 on: September 18, 2016, 05:50:03 AM »
Two changes to the rules for downloadable graphic sets:

Firstly, rule 3 (about what object types it must contain as a minimum) has been removed. There isn't really any need for this rule now that graphic sets can be mixed within a single level.

Secondly, a rule has been added that the graphic set should target the recent versions of NeoLemmix. It's fine if it works on both, but if it's clear that it was designed with older versions in mind (or in the case of updates, that it hasn't been adjusted to take newer versions into account) then it will not be accepted. For example, having objects intended to be used as backgrounds but marking them as "no effect" rather than "background image" would be a clear giveaway that the graphic set is targetting the older versions. (I know some people want multiple backgrounds in their set - just deal with only being able to have one for now; multiple backgrounds will be supported in the near-enough future.)

As usual, already-uploaded graphic sets that don't conform to the new rule will be allowed to stay up, but any updates to them need to bring them in line with the new rule. If the graphic set already had more than one such object for background use, I'll consider it acceptable to leave all but one as a "no effect" object for now.
My Lemmings projects

Offline Wafflem

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 29, 2016, 04:22:47 PM »
I think the jarv156 Future Graphic set is good enough to be added to the auto-downloadable, as there have not been any issues reported.
YouTube: www.tinyurl.com/YTWafflem
Twitch: www.twitch.tv/Wafflem467

Have level designer's block right now? Have some of my incomplete levels for LOTS of ideas!

Offline Colorful Arty

• You are so loved!
    • View Profile
    • Colorful Arty's Youtube Page
« Reply #14 on: November 29, 2016, 08:36:42 PM »
Since most of the foreseeable updates have finished, I'll submit my lego tileset to this list too!
My Youtube channel where I let's play games with family-friendly commentary:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCiRPZ5j87ft_clSRLFCESQA

My Twitch channel: https://www.twitch.tv/colorfularty

My levelpack: SubLems
For New formats NeoLemmix: https://www.lemmingsforums.net/index.php?topic=4942.0
For Old formats NeoLemmix: http://www.lemmingsforums.net/index.php?topic=2787.0
For SuperLemmini: http://www.lemmingsforums.net/index.php?topic=2704.0

My levelpack: ArtLems
For New formats NeoLemmix: https://www.lemmingsforums.net/index.php?topic=4583.0

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #15 on: November 30, 2016, 01:14:50 AM »
Added.

Please do note for future styles: The proper naming convention would be eg. arty_lego. However, as this one has been around for quite some time now, keeping a consistent name is more important than following this convention so I've added it as-is.
My Lemmings projects

Offline GigaLem

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 11, 2016, 02:44:17 AM »
Update
These tiles now have proper backgrounds

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #17 on: January 31, 2017, 02:15:38 PM »
I've moved the auto-downloadable stuff database to the new NeoLemmix site already (even though the site isn't ready for general use yet, I think it's ready enough for this). It should be 100% backwards-compatible; please let me know if you encounter any issues that didn't happen before.

Advantages of this: All I have to do now to add / update a graphic set is literally upload the file. Previously, I had to upload the file and add / modify its last updated date in a text file, which was slightly more annoying. Although NeoLemmix still makes use of this text file, the server now automatically generates it. Also, this will be much easier to in the future integrate with a method of allowing people to upload content themself, although I plan to hold off on doing this until new-formats goes live.
My Lemmings projects