Author Topic: Pea Soup, lems drown on 3rd pea  (Read 5509 times)

Offline PsychEyeball

• View Profile
Pea Soup, lems drown on 3rd pea
« on: May 30, 2016, 03:23:39 PM »
Hello Tsyu, I've been making a Let's Play of Lemmings and I've been using SuperLemmini in order to showcase the game, due to its options set and faithfulness to the original game. It's been working out really good, although I came across two levels where SuperLemmini didn't work out as well as in the rest of the game.

First level is Mayhem 14 - Pea Soup: https://www.dropbox.com/s/fv9prj8kst7afew/mayhem14-oops.rpl?dl=0

The third pea where you must build to is the smallest on the bunch, but the hit detection on it seem really strange. Unless you land in the middle of the pea itself, Lemmings that fall on it will often drown through the pea/boulder. I can get the lead Lemming to fall on it, but if it happens, the ramp that I must dig through will often lead the other Lemmings to a watery/pea death. I checked out the Amiga version of the game to make sure and the Lemmings didn't drown when they fell on the boulder.

Second level is Havoc 20 - Look Before You Leap!: https://www.dropbox.com/s/ayn3i6geplwixqz/havoc20-almost.rpl?dl=0

It turns out the hit detection for climbers in SuperLemmini is more forgiving than in the original game. If there's a tiny bump in the way of a wall, the climber will manage to climb through it whereas he normally would hit said obstruction and fall back down. This makes this stage almost impossible unless you succeed in making your way down through the level with only 9 bombers (which is possible, but highly improbable to pull off) because the climber will climb out of the pit you made for your Lemmings and either fall off the left or be eaten by the lizard, making you lose one of your bombable Lemmings. It is possible to make a pit where the Lemming won't climb out from, but it's incredibly finnicky and hard to achieve... at least way harder than in the original game.

Just thought these replays may help you figure out the issues I'm talking about and help you in the development of SuperLemmini.

If you're interested in watching my videos, you can view my Youtube playlist here: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLBiA98i89bbXcdpU4Ba2Vf5fC6iNhnvcZ

Keep up the good work on SuperLemmini!

Offline Tsyu

• View Profile
Re: Pea Soup, lems drown on 3rd pea
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2016, 05:12:48 AM »
First level is Mayhem 14 - Pea Soup: https://www.dropbox.com/s/fv9prj8kst7afew/mayhem14-oops.rpl?dl=0

The third pea where you must build to is the smallest on the bunch, but the hit detection on it seem really strange. Unless you land in the middle of the pea itself, Lemmings that fall on it will often drown through the pea/boulder. I can get the lead Lemming to fall on it, but if it happens, the ramp that I must dig through will often lead the other Lemmings to a watery/pea death. I checked out the Amiga version of the game to make sure and the Lemmings didn't drown when they fell on the boulder.
I tested this myself in both the Amiga and DOS* versions and the same thing happened. Either you got lucky when you tested the Amiga version, or you were testing NeoLemmix thinking it was the Amiga version of Lemmings (which it certainly isn't).

I suggest building over the third pea. The lemmings should survive the fall onto the fourth one.

Second level is Havoc 20 - Look Before You Leap!: https://www.dropbox.com/s/ayn3i6geplwixqz/havoc20-almost.rpl?dl=0

It turns out the hit detection for climbers in SuperLemmini is more forgiving than in the original game. If there's a tiny bump in the way of a wall, the climber will manage to climb through it whereas he normally would hit said obstruction and fall back down. This makes this stage almost impossible unless you succeed in making your way down through the level with only 9 bombers (which is possible, but highly improbable to pull off) because the climber will climb out of the pit you made for your Lemmings and either fall off the left or be eaten by the lizard, making you lose one of your bombable Lemmings. It is possible to make a pit where the Lemming won't climb out from, but it's incredibly finnicky and hard to achieve... at least way harder than in the original game.
Again, I tested your exact scenario in the Amiga and DOS* versions (and trust me when I say "exact"), and the climber did climb out of the pit. I think you were playing NeoLemmix, which has slightly different climber mechanics.

*By "DOS version," I mean the real one, not Lemmix or NeoLemmix.

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2016, 05:27:44 AM »

Lemmix's mechanics should match the DOS version exactly; if it doesn't, it's a bug that needs to be fixed, especially since "matching DOS's mechanics exactly" is Lemmix's primary purpose. On the other hand, it is to be expected that NeoLemmix may differ from other versions.
My Lemmings projects
2D Lemmings: NeoLemmix (engine) | Lemmings Plus Series (level packs) | Doomsday Lemmings (level pack)
3D Lemmings: Loap (engine) | L3DEdit (level / graphics editor) | L3DUtils (replay / etc utility) | Lemmings Plus 3D (level pack)

Offline Tsyu

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2016, 03:48:15 AM »

Lemmix's mechanics should match the DOS version exactly; if it doesn't, it's a bug that needs to be fixed, especially since "matching DOS's mechanics exactly" is Lemmix's primary purpose. On the other hand, it is to be expected that NeoLemmix may differ from other versions.
I included Lemmix just in case it has any inaccuracies. I'm not aware of any, though; even in PsychEyeball's two scenarios, Lemmix performs the same as the DOS version.

Offline PsychEyeball

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2016, 03:36:10 PM »
Hurrah, another update! Looking forwards to playing Oh no! More Lemmings again with it.

Also, concerning my problems with Pea Soup earlier, I managed to get a clearer demonstration of the problem I was having. I unfortunately didn't save the replay (I was too in shock when it happened) but I managed to get it on video:

https://youtu.be/QnnbVX8ivSk?t=13m17s (This should start you where it happens, otherwise skip to 13:17)

It just feels too weird for this to happen.

Offline Proxima

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2016, 03:39:34 PM »
That also happens on original Mac lemmings. I'm pretty sure it's a problem with the trigger area / terrain placement of the original level.

Offline PsychEyeball

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2016, 05:37:23 PM »
Okay, so that's just overall weirdness relating to the level then? I just remembered not having this trouble on the original Lemmini, the Windows 95 version or the Amiga game I briefly checked out just so I could make sure things were working okay.

In the end, I did find a workaround, it was just a weird occurrence and I felt like it was something worth reporting.