Author Topic: Loading old replays in new levels  (Read 1986 times)

Offline Nepster

• View Profile
Loading old replays in new levels
« on: March 02, 2016, 06:03:55 PM »
If I do the following steps:
1) Create level abc.txt
2) Create replay abc-Nepster.txt
3) Change the above level slightly to abc_V2.txt
How can I play the replay abc-Nepster.txt with the level abc_V2.txt?

The easiest way I found is the following (using version 2015-09-02): Start the level abc_V2.txt and directly save an "empty" replay. Then exit Lix and copy the skill assignments from abc-Nepster.txt to the "empty" replay, start Lix again and run this new replay.

This is way too complicated for such a simple functionality. How about simplyfying this by adding either:
- A button "Choose level" in the replay menu, which allows the player to select the level (by file name) in which the solution should be replayed. This is more a suggestion for D Lix than for C++ Lix.
- Try to load the level that is specified in the first line of the replay file. Currently this is only used to display the level title. So why not use it as well to load levels?

PS: Line 5 in the replay files reads +PLAYER 0 Garden Nepster. I can make sense of most of the other stuff in the replay fine, but what information does Garden store? :lix-mystery:

Online Simon

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Lix
Re: Loading old replays in new levels
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2016, 07:06:18 PM »
It's design debris.

I've planned two buttons in the D replay browser: One to play the included level, one to play the pointed-to level.

I haven't yet considered to apply replays to a third, pickable level. But I'd like to support the renaming workflow. Many people work like that. When you routinely edit replay/level files by hand, that's a sign of missing functionality.

Try to load the level that is specified in the first line of the replay file. Currently this is only used to display the level title. So why not use it as well to load levels?

This inconsistency is a bug. The program may get away with opening fewer files. >_> But it has confused me, too, when I ported the replay browser. It's annotated in the D source as an opportunity to redesign.

How can I play the replay abc-Nepster.txt with the level abc_V2.txt?

Your way is already the easiest. >_> Erase the level from the replay, and change the pointed-to-level filename. When you erase the level from the replay file, the game uses the pointed-to level.

PS: Line 5 in the replay files reads +PLAYER 0 Garden Nepster. I can make sense of most of the other stuff in the replay fine, but what information does Garden store? :lix-mystery:

Garden is the player's team color.

The singleplayer lix coloring is implemented like the multiplayer syles. I named the singleplayer color "Garden" in 2008 and haven't changed it since. Inspiration came from the Lemmings Revolution manual: The manual called the regular strain of lemmings "Garden Lemming", to distinguish it from water and acid lemmings.

-- Simon