Author Topic: [DATABASE] [DISCUSSION] Let's discuss a content database  (Read 2175 times)

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
[DATABASE] [DISCUSSION] Let's discuss a content database
« on: February 29, 2016, 09:53:58 AM »
So, as you're probably aware, NeoLemmix V1.42n introduced some minor online functionality - specifically, it could notify the user of new engine updates (disabled by default), and could auto-download certain graphic sets if they were missing (enabled by default; supported ones are Gronkling's sets, IchoTolot's sets, the Genesis-Orig sets, and the Zombie Sign and Ghost Sign VGASPECs). So far, none of the NeoLemmix apps except the engine itself have any online functionality, but it would be very possible to integrate it into them at a later date.

Over time, I'm hoping to expand this to the point where one doesn't need to visit any websites to obtain content, but can simply get it through NeoLemmix itself. Even better - but I'm not sure that I have the skills to do this anytime soon - would be if content can also be submitted directly from NeoLemmix and its associated tools, although I'm not sure how exactly this should work - for example, should the Flexi Toolkit submit packs, or should this be something the player itself handles (as that's where the user is more likely to be after testing a pack)? What about graphic sets - should the graphic set tool submit these? Or perhaps, should there be a dedicated seperate (but bundled) application for it?

Of course, any such database would also be accessible via the web. Direct integration into NeoLemmix would be for convenience, not as the only way to use the database.

So I think now would be a great time to discuss what features you'd like to see in the database. While I'm not guaranteeing every suggestion would be implemented, and certianly not right away, I'm open to all sorts of ideas - eg. should it be possible (as an opt-in feature on the user's side) to show which levels have been beaten by who, and perhaps saved lemming and/or time records for them? Should we have some kind of rating feature for content, and how should it work (in particular, I'm thinking if we do, there should be two seperate ratings - one for quality, and one for difficulty).

It is quite likely that some kind of format change will be needed in order to facilitate displaying pack info on the website. Alternatively, capability could be added to NeoLemmix to generate an information file specifically for the database's usage, but this is somewhat messy.
« Last Edit: February 29, 2016, 12:09:21 PM by namida »
My Lemmings projects
2D Lemmings: NeoLemmix (engine) | Lemmings Plus Series (level packs) | Doomsday Lemmings (level pack)
3D Lemmings: Loap (engine) | L3DEdit (level / graphics editor) | L3DUtils (replay / etc utility) | Lemmings Plus 3D (level pack)

Offline Nepster

• View Profile
Re: [DATABASE] [DISCUSSION] Let's discuss a content database
« Reply #1 on: February 29, 2016, 04:40:23 PM »
Additional features when uploading level packs:
- Let level designers upload intended solutions. Then make them available for all players to download.
- Let level designers select a few levels that are displayed as preview images.
- Let level designers add a few short comments (as in Mindless' database).
- Let level designers fill in a "Thank you..." box.
- Let level designers add a link to the corresponding forum thread.

Even better - but I'm not sure that I have the skills to do this anytime soon - would be if content can also be submitted directly from NeoLemmix and its associated tools, although I'm not sure how exactly this should work - for example, should the Flexi Toolkit submit packs, or should this be something the player itself handles (as that's where the user is more likely to be after testing a pack)? What about graphic sets - should the graphic set tool submit these? Or perhaps, should there be a dedicated seperate (but bundled) application for it?
What is wrong with going to the webpage of the database and uploading the content there manually, similar to the Mindless' Lemmix pack database? As a level designer, I test level packs first. So they I don't have the Toolkit open when being ready to upload the level pack.
Moreover downloading stuff happens much more often, so it's probably Ok, if uploading level packs/graphic sets/... is slightly more work.

Should we have some kind of rating feature for content, and how should it work (in particular, I'm thinking if we do, there should be two seperate ratings - one for quality, and one for difficulty).
We have such a rating system for Lemmix level packs, but barely anyone is using it. Is there any reason to believe that people vote more on NeoLemmix content?

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #2 on: February 29, 2016, 04:43:06 PM »
One problem with voting on Mindless's database is that it requires the user to download the content, play it, come back to the site, then vote. If the voting functionality was integrated into NeoLemmix itself, this could simplify it a lot, meaning people may actually use it.

Additional features when uploading level packs:
- Let level designers upload intended solutions. Then make them available for all players to download.
- Let level designers select a few levels that are displayed as preview images.
- Let level designers add a few short comments (as in Mindless' database).
- Let level designers fill in a "Thank you..." box.
- Let level designers add a link to the corresponding forum thread.

I like these ideas. :)

Another idea that came up on #neolemmix earlier was to allow - as an opt-in feature - automatically sending replays of your solutions to the pack's creator, to help them weed out backroutes. This could be especially important during testing periods, although I'm not entirely sure what should be done in terms of private testing releases (maybe support only allowing certain users to download it; or have the pack in the database, but not downloadable) which is arguably where such a feature would be most useful.
My Lemmings projects
2D Lemmings: NeoLemmix (engine) | Lemmings Plus Series (level packs) | Doomsday Lemmings (level pack)
3D Lemmings: Loap (engine) | L3DEdit (level / graphics editor) | L3DUtils (replay / etc utility) | Lemmings Plus 3D (level pack)

Offline Nepster

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 29, 2016, 04:55:50 PM »
Another idea that came up on #neolemmix earlier was to allow - as an opt-in feature - automatically sending replays of your solutions to the pack's creator, to help them weed out backroutes.
Then a good method has to be found to bundle all the replays and then to notify the level pack creator. E.g. getting an email or PM for every replay someone uploads will be extremely annoying. Same goes for having to download every single replay on its own.

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #4 on: February 29, 2016, 05:14:47 PM »
Yes, the finer details of it do need to be worked out still.
My Lemmings projects