Lemmings Boards > Fan Corner

Special Levels Music for String Quartet!

(1/7) > >>

Hypotenuse:
I am currently working on arranging music from the original Lemmings "special" levels (Beast, Menacing, Awesome, Beast II) for string quartet. Beast I is about wrapped up, and Menacing is currently in progress. There are, of course, multiple versions of these songs out there, and I am arranging by ear. So I was wondering what the consensus is on the most full-sounding, most interesting, coolest version of the Awesome and Beast II soundtracks. I am mainly using the Amiga track for Beast I, and I am using the Amiga track for Menacing now (although I will include a bit from the -I believe- SNES track, whichever one is in A-flat major, just to spice it up a bit). Open to opinions!
Thanks!
-Hyp

namida:
I personally like the DOS version for Awesome and the Amiga version for BeastII, but I'm not sure if any general consensus has been established in that regard.

ccexplore:
To be honest with very few exceptions, I think all 4 special levels' music are pretty much the same from port to port, except for basically instrumentation and sometimes the key.  And none of them of course will sound like a string quartet anyway, so you should just do what makes the most sense and works best musically.  (Indeed, I'm quite curious how it'll turn out to translate the metal sounds of Menace and Awesome to a string quartet setting.)  Make your version the most interesting and coolest! 8-)

For your reference, you can find youtube playlists of the different versions below:

Beast
Menace
Awesome
Beast II

Incidentally, are you only looking at the special levels' music, or might you also be looking into doing an arrangement of something in the game's regular music rotation?

Hypotenuse:
Thank you both for the feedback! Fair point about the difference in the tracks being minimal given the new instrumentation, for sure. Also, to answer your question about it only being special levels: yes, for now, I may look into other music afterwards, but given that most of it is public domain material (Turkish Rondo, Can-Can, Doggy in the Window, etc.) I am sure plenty of arrangements of those are already out there. Although, ONML music....now there's a thought. ;) (Sidenote: other little gags, such as SNES intro music are coming to mind, perhaps a potential future project)
Lem on!
-Hyp

607:
Sounds cool, I'll be looking forward to it!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version