Author Topic: 607 plays Lemmings 1 and ONML  (Read 25667 times)

Offline Shrung

• View Profile
Re: My Lemmings Discussion Thread
« Reply #15 on: April 26, 2018, 09:48:48 PM »
You're very patient to be playing on the DOS version :thumbsup: that's part of why I never got through it when I was younger, I was missing out on the ff button, haha. Now that I'm playing through on NeoLemmix, I feel spoiled to be able to skip around so much, but I think the mental puzzle still remains  (on most levels at least, some clearly use the mechanics as the main challenge of the level)

edit: looking at your solution to steel works, I just realized that for some reason I waaay over complicated things on my playthrough last night. For some reason I didn't think to use a blocker to turn the second lemming to build that stairway. I guess it's fun to have found a 1 blocker solution, but man what a crazy blindspot, haha! I guess I just thought since it's mayhem, the hardest thing I can think of must be the solution!
« Last Edit: April 26, 2018, 09:54:59 PM by Shrung »

Offline Proxima

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 26, 2018, 10:13:21 PM »
There's actually a really evil trick on Steel Works, which was probably not intended.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Offline 607

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 27, 2018, 11:13:36 AM »
There's actually a really evil trick on Steel Works, which was probably not intended.

Haha, that's interesting! I actually tried that in some other places, but never at the start, as I had already established that what I did there worked, and both times I tried it in another place, it didn't work. So I guess those falls are higher.

Offline 607

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 10, 2018, 02:39:32 PM »
Mayhem 2 The Boiler Room (click to show/hide)

Edit: It's Hero Time! is awesome! :D I really like that!!
Edit 2: So The Crossroads seemed rather easy and lenient, until I noticed in the way most people would notice (the level ending) that there's a tight time limit on it...
Edit 3: On my second try, though, I got just enough Lemmings in there! :D
Edit 4: Alright, I can't find a way for Down, Along, Up. In that order. I'll try again later, though! (although I don't know how much later :P)
« Last Edit: June 10, 2018, 03:10:36 PM by 607 »

Offline grams88

• Just one more thing.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 13, 2018, 11:16:32 PM »
Interesting Solution there 607 for the boiler room level. The level tests you to see if you remember the (Call in the bomb squad) level. Well maybe it has a tiny element from that level in it. The levels that follow are quite tricky, (Down Along Up. In that order) When I first came across that one I was like oh no.

Do keep us updated on your progress.

Offline Proxima

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 13, 2018, 11:20:58 PM »
Interesting Solution there 607 for the boiler room level. The level tests you to see if you remember the (Call in the bomb squad) level.

Except that in the original game, level 1 of each rank is unlocked from the start, so there's no guarantee the player has seen Call in the bomb squad yet -- and indeed I remember that I completed Mayhem up to at least level 10 before getting that far in Taxing.

Offline grams88

• Just one more thing.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 13, 2018, 11:24:38 PM »
Good point there Proxima. I think I done the same in that I played the first four or five levels of Mayhem before playing the harder taxing levels as they were further on.

Offline 607

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 20, 2018, 03:28:33 PM »
I have also started playing the Windows version, which is in my opinion quite inferior to the DOS version, but also rather unique, so it's nice to play regardless. And now I'll have to start in Fun again, which means I won't have to think. ;)

Offline 607

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 10, 2018, 02:44:19 PM »
Down, Along, Up is tough indeed! I think I've got the puzzles figured out, though, now to get the execution down...
Edit: I think I'm missing something, as the execution seems too hard this way... let me think a little more about it.
Edit 2:
Edit 3: I did it! :D
Nice level!

The next one (One Way or Another, hey, that's the name of that tune; it's a shame it doesn't play in this level in lem-fix3 :P) looks fun! Am I right in thinking that this is not a repeat? The lay-out doesn't seem familiar.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2018, 03:13:36 PM by 607 »

Offline Proxima

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 10, 2018, 03:17:26 PM »
One way or another is a repeat of They just keep on coming (Tricky 9).

Slight spoiler:

Offline 607

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 02, 2018, 06:49:53 AM »
I beat One way or another. :) I tried going around the left first, but I had issues with the one-way arrows, and with getting the crowd out. Going around the right, I didn't have these problems, and it was fairly easy to do.

Offline 607

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 06, 2018, 06:15:07 AM »
This isn't working out so well. :P (I'm not using spoilers for my own post anymore, as people who haven't yet beaten the game shouldn't be reading this topic. ;) (except myself, of course)

I also tried going underneath, but that seemed hopeless.
Edit: I thought I had it, but then I realised I was relying on luck for the crowd to get through, and I didn't get lucky...

Edit 2: I tried a variation of my strategy, letting the crowd move with the worker Lemming, but at the end had the same issue. However, I did get lucky that time. :P I've got another possible idea for making it not based on luck, but I'm not going to try it... I'm done anyway. ;) And when I get here in the Windows version, I can simply use directional select. :P
« Last Edit: September 06, 2018, 06:36:56 AM by 607 »

Offline grams88

• Just one more thing.
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 09, 2018, 02:07:50 PM »
I used to find that level very hard in the past, I remember playing it on the atari st emulator and thinking to myself oh no not this level.

Offline grams88

• Just one more thing.
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 25, 2018, 11:47:25 PM »
Is it time for 607 to play lemmings.

Offline 607

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 29, 2018, 07:31:59 PM »
Today I got reminded of Lemmings three times in one evening, and had no plans for the rest of that evening. So yeah, now it's surely time to play Lemmings. ;)
I don't feel confident enough for Mayhem, though, so I'm booting up Windows Lemmings. I'm not sure why me being tired makes me not want to play hard levels... but I'm very far behind on the Windows Lemmings, and it's fun to play something different! (I've beat the mobile Lemmings, and talked about that in a different topic)
I just played "Here's one I prepared earlier" and thought 20% was a very low save requirement on such a level... I improvised a solution that saved 100%. :D (if I had actually thought about it, there was an easier way of doing it, I realise now :P)
I was going to attempt this on other levels as well, as it makes it more challenging and more fun, but the mechanics aren't working with me. I can not assign the left Lemming a basher, miner or digger in this position. In the original Lemmings, you can free a blocker like this, right?
Edit: Um, what? It didn't count the level, even though I did save 98%, instead of the required 20%...
Now that I had to redo it anyway, I did get it 100%, by placing the blocker in a more suitable spot. :)
This is my favourite solution from the levels I played:

That was a lot of fun! :) I wonder if when I will continue playing this version of the game, I will still feel like doing this. Could anyone tell me whether any levels of Tricky are impossible to complete 100%? (without using glitches)
« Last Edit: October 29, 2018, 07:59:30 PM by 607 »