Author Topic: 607 plays Lemmings 1 and ONML  (Read 25669 times)

Offline 607

• View Profile
607 plays Lemmings 1 and ONML
« on: February 21, 2016, 05:47:01 PM »
Descriptive title, right? ;)
Anyway, even though some people told me to make a new topic every time I had something to ask or something, I'm making this topic to share whatever I want to share in one, nice, topic. This will only be used for the original Lemmings and perhaps ONML discussion, though.
Anyway, I just got Lemmings working again, which went very smoothly, found my passwords again, which went very smoothly too, and beat Taxing 25 (Follow the Leader), and even that went very smoothly! I remember being stuck on that one for some time last time I played this game.
I noticed I got 100% of the Lemmings saved, while the requirement is 90%. Are they just being unnecessarily lenient or is there an intended solution I'm missing, that only saves 90%?
« Last Edit: October 29, 2018, 08:41:27 PM by Simon »

Online Proxima

• View Profile
Re: My Lemmings Discussion Thread
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2016, 05:49:29 PM »
While we don't know what was intended, the solution to Follow the Leader I always used as a kid was to use bombers to make a hole to trap the crowd.

Offline 607

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2016, 07:46:59 PM »
While we don't know what was intended, the solution to Follow the Leader I always used as a kid was to use bombers to make a hole to trap the crowd.
Ah, that's interesting. Yeah, than 90% would seem much more appropriate.

Anyway, I beat two more levels, and have quite a decent pace going, I wonder if I can keep this up!
Soon, I'll be at Mayhem, of which I have always been scared upon trying the first level as a kid... ;P

Offline Flopsy

• Global Moderator
  • Lix Nerd
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2016, 07:47:57 PM »
90% is still lenient despite the bomber method to Follow the Leader because you only need to blow up 2 lemmings.

I've only just recently discovered that the Amiga version and Mac versions of Lemmings had higher save requirements on numerous Taxing and Mayhem levels in general.

Online Proxima

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2016, 08:13:58 PM »
Yup. The Amiga version is the original, so the DOS version relaxed the requirements on several levels. Let's see if I can remember all of them:

Fun 15 -- 80% on Amiga/Mac, 50% on DOS. Not that it matters as the normal "block the crowd" method saves 97% in any case.

Taxing 22 -- 100% on Amiga/Mac, 80% on DOS. When I played this as a kid, I solved it with a very elegant short-route solution, but there are several possible methods including the long route.

Taxing 25 -- Already mentioned.

Mayhem 4 -- 100%, 10 bashers only on Amiga/Mac, 80%, 20 bashers, 10 bombers on DOS.

Mayhem 15 -- 95%, 2 minutes on Amiga/Mac, 75%, 3 minutes on DOS. This makes the DOS level easier than its Tricky equivalent :-\

Mayhem 26 -- 90%, 10 bombers, blockers, builders on Amiga/Mac, 75%, 20 bombers, blockers, buiders on DOS. Note that the Amiga version has 100 lemmings, so you can lose 10. On the Mac, they forgot to adjust the percentage, so you can only lose eight, making this level ridiculously difficult.

Offline 607

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2016, 08:23:52 PM »
Wait, where was the taxing 25 change mentioned? What was it on Amiga?

Online Proxima

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2016, 08:27:32 PM »
Sorry, I confused the two discussions. Taxing 25 is 90% on both versions, but you can save 100%, as you noted.

Offline 607

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2016, 07:03:39 PM »
Today I beat POOR WEE CREATURES! which took around half an hour. I had the right idea very quickly, but it needed quite some precision. I still managed to save some more than needed though, so I'm happy! :)

Offline 607

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2016, 06:58:09 PM »
Continued playing, and How do I dig up the way? was quite easy. I did make one mistake first try, but second try went perfectly fine.
Then I thought "Should I do the last level today too? Being the last level of Taxing, it might be long and hard... ah, let's try it."
We all fall down xD
We know that level's a joke by now :rolleyes:
I first failed it once, as I didn't realise there was a tight time limit on it now, but then I upped the release rate and got way over a minute left on the clock :D
I'll try to remember my strategy and do the Mayhem one in one try once it comes up ;P

Offline 607

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2016, 06:48:58 PM »
I've been at Steel Works for the past 30 minutes now, but I'm very tired, so I'll probably leave it for another day.

Offline Flopsy

• Global Moderator
  • Lix Nerd
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2016, 08:48:27 PM »
@Proxima Thanks for detailing those differences in Taxing/Mayhem levels.
I noticed the one on Fast Food Kitchen during roundthewheel's stream recently and thought it was easier to do the Mayhem one obviously if you can multitask. It's 94% to be saved on the Tricky one and then it goes down to 75% on Mayhem??
Taxing 22 is 100% to be saved on the PSP lemmings aswell but the time limits in that game are just too high in general. They did it to make up for the slower lemmings but they gave too much time to compensate.
Steel Mines of Kessel in 8 bombers is truely ridiculous though!

@607 Poor Wee Creatures is not one of my favourite levels. I find it easier on games which go up to 100 lemmings. I've most notably played the PS1 Lemmings entirely on my Youtube channel and that only goes up to 80 Lemmings.
I think the save requirement is 70% on all versions but that means 70/100 lemmings or 56/80 lemmings meaning in versions with 80 lemmings you have to kill 6 fewer lemmings. I think even if you're flawless on the solution, you still lose 22 lemmings by the time you've contained the lemmings.

Good luck on Steel works, you need good builder management and maybe even good time management to get through that. I always finish that level with about 1 min remaining and nearly use all 30 builders.

Offline grams88

• Just one more thing.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 24, 2016, 10:55:33 PM »
The (Follow the leader) level did seem a bit on the easy side me thinks. I think the idea they were getting at was making use of the landscape to trap the lemmings.

Do let us know how you get on with the Mayhem levels 607.

Some of them can be a nightmare. :devil::devil:

Offline grams88

• Just one more thing.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 21, 2017, 10:56:03 PM »
Hi 607

How are you getting on with the Mayhem levels or have you completed the lemmings? I bet it was the atari st lemmings you were playing which is the same one I played.

Offline 607

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 15, 2018, 10:46:53 AM »
Hi 607

How are you getting on with the Mayhem levels or have you completed the lemmings? I bet it was the atari st lemmings you were playing which is the same one I played.
I am playing the DOS version, actually. I prefer playing at a pc, and I'm used to the DOS version, because it's what I played as a kid. Also, my Lemmings diskette for Atari ST is seemingly a bit faulty, and I need to take it out and put it back in during loading, as otherwise it will start making scary sounds and not work, for some reason.

Anyway: after watching Nessy's Lemmings videos on YouTube, I got the desire to continue Lemmings again! Today, I had some more tries at Steel Works, and I finally beat it! Honestly, when I missed a builder assignment and when trying to fix it got my worker Lemming stuck in a block of steel, I thought I had lost... but as I still had plenty of skills and Lemmings left, I decided not to restart quite yet, but try to finish the work with the entire crowd. And surprisingly, it worked! ;)
Here's a video where you can see the level after my solution: it's rather messy, I feel like. :P But it worked! :D
https://youtu.be/aVA4dHhnxQk

Offline grams88

• Just one more thing.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 15, 2018, 08:21:22 PM »
Hi 607

A lot of our atari st floppy disk games are not working anymore, I think it might be half the games I have left, I've got about 12 floppy disk games or something left and a lot of them are simply not working anymore.

Good on you for beating the steel works level, :) it's a killer one when it comes to the building, it gives you a good feeling of what mayhem is going to be like. I saw that you got a lemming stuck in the wall, I don't think he could be saved. It does look messy but in a way it makes lemmings cool as they are so many different ways of going about it or going about a level. That must be you onto the boiler room level.