Lemmings Boards > Lemmings Main

607 plays Lemmings 1 and ONML

<< < (12/12)

WillLem:

--- Quote from: The Tomato Watcher ---
--- Quote from: WillLem on January 04, 2022, 02:34:12 AM ---Hmm! I didn't realise this. Another reason to think of the Amiga version as definitive, perhaps? ;P

--- End quote ---
Or a reason to think of the DOS version as definitive. :P Although it doesn't have the 2 player mode or the intro.

--- End quote ---

Why, if it deviates from the original? The blue background of the Amiga version makes everything look warmer and gives the game a better atmosphere that the DOS version as well as all of the other things that make it generally better.

The Amiga version will always be the one I think of as definitive, anyway. All other contemporary ports seem to be in some way watered down, missing levels, or - as you've mentioned - missing the 2-player mode. Even the Mac version, which has better graphics and a fast-forward button, messes up some of the levels so that they become prohibitively difficult.

The Tomato Watcher:

--- Quote from: WillLem on January 06, 2022, 03:52:48 AM ---The Amiga version will always be the one I think of as definitive, anyway. All other contemporary ports seem to be in some way watered down, missing levels, or - as you've mentioned - missing the 2-player mode. Even the Mac version, which has better graphics and a fast-forward button, messes up some of the levels so that they become prohibitively difficult.

--- End quote ---

Japan got the Sharp X68000 version though, which is basically a facsimile of the Amiga version, 2-player mode, intro, blue background and all, but with fast-forward (though it's activated by pressing SHIFT+2 which is absurd), both DOS and Amiga keyboard controls, FM synth music (that's nowhere near as abrasive as the DOS version's AdLib soundtrack can be!), and a fun little credits sequence. ;)

I don't know if that's outside the realm of this discussion or not, but I had to bring it up. :P

Dullstar:

--- Quote from: WillLem on January 06, 2022, 03:52:48 AM ---Why, if it deviates from the original?

--- End quote ---

Was just reading through this and saw this, and thought it worth mentioning:

There's multiple reasons they could have lowered the requirements. One such possible reason is that they may have thought some of the save requirements were too harsh, so in theory these could be considered balancing changes in the era before patches were really a thing. Or it could just be a quirk of the fact that some of the lemming counts are different because of the 100 vs. 80 lemming cap and they may not have necessarily adjusted them all evenly.

Of course with some of the downgrades from the Amiga perhaps one could argue that there is no real definitive edition.

WillLem:

--- Quote from: The Tomato Watcher on January 06, 2022, 05:01:40 AM ---Japan got the Sharp X68000 version though

--- End quote ---

Hmm. This does sound better! Investigating... :lemcat:

--- Quote from: Dullstar on January 18, 2022, 06:50:03 AM ---perhaps one could argue that there is no real definitive edition.

--- End quote ---

Oh, there isn't, for sure. Or rather - because there are so many editions, everyone will tend to think of the one that they grew up with as definitive. That's certainly the view in my case*, but I also have the fact that the game was written on and first released on the Amiga to add a bit of chunk to it; both arbitrary things when considering the way the game developed across the various ports, but still key pieces of info which may or may not factor into someone's view of what is "definitive."

*EDIT - I also just happen to think that the Amiga interface is generally more aesthetically pleasing than some of the other ones. The DOS colour scheme is a bit weak in comparison, for example. None of them are perfect, though.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version