Author Topic: [NeoLemmix] NepsterLems  (Read 40265 times)

Offline kaywhyn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: [NeoLemmix] NepsterLems
« Reply #90 on: September 12, 2020, 05:55:42 PM »
That makes no difference. Lemmings that enter after the timer went down did not count before. I also can confirm that my replay still works.

Yea, I made an edit to my post before you posted this :P

edit: I just watched Icho's replay. Yup, the timer hits 0 at the exact moment the last lemming finishes exiting (easiest way is for the last lemming to exit and then use the N key until you hear the ringing alarm), but the game still gave him the credit for passing the level. Wow, imagine if it was one frame too late instead.

Specifically, in your replay the lemming finishes exiting AND the timer reaches 0 at the exact same moment, so it's not a case of lemmings entering the exit after the timer hits 0. It's not a case of before reaching the exit either. It's right on the dot. But yes, your replay still works because the game still credited you with a "pass." This tells me that it's still a success as long as one of two things happens, either you met or exceeded the save requirement before the time runs out, or you met or exceeded the save requirement AND the timer runs out at the exact same moment. This is good to know, though, and certainly something I didn't know about before in what NL considers a success! ;) It's kind of like in the same way it doesn't matter if you're not able to nuke all lemmings before time runs out. It's a pass as long as you met or exceed the save requirement when the time runs out or both happen at the same moment.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCPMqwuqZ206rBWJrUC6wkrA - My YouTube channel and you can also find my playlists of Lemmings level packs that I have LPed
kaywhyn's blog: https://www.lemmingsforums.net/index.php?topic=5363.0

Offline kaywhyn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: September 13, 2020, 10:13:55 PM »
And, the Neutron Star rank has fallen! Replays attached. Despite being the second to last rank, I thought the Neutron Star rank was much easier than the Sun rank. The levels still required some thought, but they didn't seem anywhere near as hard as the Sun levels and so solving time seemed a lot faster than the Sun rank levels. Took me less than 2 days to finish the NS rank. Then again, it took me about the same amount of time for the Sun rank after I was finally able to get past Sun 7.

The hardest levels for me in the Neutron Star rank were Neutron Star 7 - Divide and Conquer and Neutron Star 9 - A Ticket to Hell.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Neutron Star 1 - Hope and Despair is a really nice, tricky level to start off the ranking with a somewhat difficult to spot solution. Mine almost fails as I think maybe only a pixel less and the non-floater wouldn't had survived. Indeed, my solution was very timing based and I made the end part more difficult than was necessary.

Neutron Star 4 - Cliff Jumpers is not hard, but it is tricky despite being a 5-of-everything level. Almost sounds like a Reunion level, only I believe the level is called Roofjumpers instead. Still, both levels are appropriately named.

Surely my solution to Neutron Star 11 -Freedom in the Firelight is not intended, since it's possible to shortcut it the way I did and thus I have 2 miners leftover plus a few other skills left.

My most favorite level of the rank would have to be Neutron Star 17 - Poor Lemming No. 6. I really love the solution, and the level title is a big hint and key to solving the level.

Finally, the rank finisher Neutron Star 20 - Time Gate is much easier than the previous rank finisher. Sun 20 is much harder. If anything, these two levels probably should switch positions.

Well, onward to the Black Hole ranking, the last rank and the final 21 levels of the pack where I'll probably get stumped for quite a while. I think I'll be surprised if I can solve any of the levels in this rank. Here goes!
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCPMqwuqZ206rBWJrUC6wkrA - My YouTube channel and you can also find my playlists of Lemmings level packs that I have LPed

Online ericderkovits

• View Profile
« Reply #92 on: September 13, 2020, 10:59:32 PM »
Thanks Kaywhyn I downloaded your replay for Neutron Star.

« Last Edit: September 13, 2020, 11:05:32 PM by ericderkovits »

Offline Armani

• :D
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: October 23, 2020, 05:58:55 AM »
I've played Nepsterlem recently. I've definitely enjoyed a lot. It was my firm belief that it is almost impossible to make difficult levels only with classic 8 skills, but certainly nepsterlem has many tricky levels and they all provide only classic 8 skills.

Many people already post their own solutions, so here I upload only talisman replays except for comet rank.
My newest Neolemmix level pack : Lemmings Halloween 2023 :D 8-)

About Armani: Armani's Blog
My NL level packs(in chronological order):
  Lemmings Uncharted [Medium~Extreme]
  Xmas Lemmings 2021 [Easy~Very Hard]
  Lemmings Halloween 2023 [Easy-Very Hard]

Offline kaywhyn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: October 23, 2020, 06:27:56 AM »
Nice job, Armani! I still haven't finished the pack, but that's because I've been stuck since reaching the Black Hole rank. After finishing United, I came back to this pack and after a lot of struggling finally got myself unstuck on Sun 7. The next few days I was able to cruise along until reaching my current roadblock of BH 1. I've occasionally came back and see if I could get myself unstuck, but I still haven't been successful in getting past BH 1 yet. At this point, I think it'll be an amazing accomplishment if I can solve even just one level from the BH rank.

I've played Nepsterlem recently. I've definitely enjoyed a lot. It was my firm belief that it is almost impossible to make difficult levels only with classic 8 skills, but certainly nepsterlem has many tricky levels and they all provide only classic 8 skills.

Another thing the levels in this pack have shown is that most of them are quite small in size, usually only about a screen wide or a little bit extra, and how they can still be deceivingly tough. In other words, small levels have the tendency to look easy but can still be quite tough. I say a good example is Sun 20. It's a surprisingly tough 1-of-everything level on top of being a very small level. That one had me stuck for almost 2 hours, nowhere near as long as Sun 7.

Also, I'm not sure if this is true, but I'm of the opinion that levels that only provide the 8 classic skills tend to be much easier than those that provide even 1 or a few NL exclusive skills in addition to the classic skills or even those that provide NL only skills. The reason why I think this is so is because pretty much everyone here is extremely familiar with how the 8 classic skills work, whereas the NL skills are not as familiar, although most of them come from L2. The only new ones that don't come from any of the official games are the cloner and disarmer. Even then, it's just a matter of familiarizing oneself with the mechanics of the skills and the possible synergies/combinations and how the skills can interact with one another so that over time my original statement becomes less true. What's probably more difficult is making levels that use only the NL exclusive skills and no classic skills. Say, that might be a pretty good idea for a level pack. Although, I have a feeling that making such a pack will be extremely difficult and will result in not a great variety of levels, eg, not that many levels that require constructive skills to get up the level, considering that the platformer doesn't add height at all, and the only ways to get up are stackers, gliders with updrafts, and fencers. To a smaller extent, jumpers and shimmiers as well. Theoretically, it can be done, but to make such an excellent pack will be quite a task.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2020, 06:38:29 AM by kaywhyn »

Offline kaywhyn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: May 16, 2023, 05:43:55 PM »
It's finally happened: After being stuck on it for almost 3 years, since my last post in this topic, I finally solved Black Hole 1! This morning, while lying in bed, I was just staring at the level image I have saved on my phone for probably close to half an hour, couldn't see anything new I haven't yet tried the entire time, but shortly after I closed my eyes to sleep some more, the realization hit me, and I quickly went to try it out. That was indeed the thing I missed this whole time, but now I just needed to tweak it so it worked.

I seriously feel so dumb that it even took me this long before I finally solved Black Hole 1, when I think all the others who solved it only needed 1-2 hours at the most to get it solved. That's why I don't necessarily feel proud even though I finally solved the level without hints after so long. It's a bit shameful really, as there are much harder packs than this that I was able to solve in a far less amount of time than it took me this level. In any case, the level kept haunting me in my sleep ever since I posted my rant about the level in my blog topic on this site, but I can finally stop crying at night now that I finally got the level solved. Also, the record for the custom level that had me stuck the longest remains Gronkling's "Mystery Machine" level from RotL on the Lemmini version. This level of Nepster's was closely approaching that, but I got it solved before the time could eclipse that.

Well, I can finally move on with the rest of the rank and hopefully solve the remaining levels of the pack! ;)

Offline kaywhyn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: May 18, 2023, 11:51:35 PM »
Black Hole rank finally completed and hence I have solved all of Nepsterlems after 3 years! :thumbsup: I have attached my entire replay collection. I've already gave feedback on the other ranks, so this post will just be for the Black Hole rank ;)

Black Hole Rank Feedback

Being the final rank of the pack, it supposedly should have all the hardest levels of the pack. However, TBH this rank was a bit of a letdown, as I expected far more of a challenge! Especially if Nepster's description of the rank is anything to go by. After having gone through this entire rank after 3 years, I definitely struggled far more with the Sun and Neutron Star ranks. Then again, the time when I went through the 4th and 5th ranks was at a time when Nepsterlems was my 4th/5th NL custom level pack, meaning I wasn't as experienced back then. Therefore, roadblocks came up very often for me. In contrast, from the first time I reached Black Hole 1 from way back in 2020 and being stuck on that level for almost 3 years and finally having solved it earlier in the week, I have played and solved so many level packs in this time period and therefore have gained a lot of experience. This likely explains why I didn't struggle too much with the Black Hole rank. Don't get me wrong, there are still some very tough nuts to crack in this rank, but some of the levels had me wondering what the heck are they doing in the Black Hole rank, as I didn't find them that hard at all. Of course, I can still see these levels will be challenging for the less experienced players and hence they do belong in this rank. At the same time, I backrouted some of these levels and therefore some of them are easier than they should be.

It does go without saying that some of the 4th/5th rank levels could be upranked to Black Hole. For example, Icho mentions that Sun 7 - Scrap the Builders should be upranked to Black Hole, and I massively agree with him! Pretty much everyone I know who has solved it had a lot of struggles with it, including myself, though I was stuck there for only a month or so, nowhere near as long as Black Hole 1.

Having finally solved all of Nepsterlems, I hereby declare this one of the best packs I've played! :thumbsup: In addition, I have now cleared out my entire backlog of levels I couldn't solve, meaning I've been able to solve every NL level I've played thus far. This is certainly not to brag, especially as there have still been some to have stumped me for a while, but rather given enough time I can solve these levels. I still consider myself nowhere near the best solver even though I have completed some of the hardest level packs, including Lemmings United, Lemmings Plus Omega 2, Lemmings Plus Alpha, and now Nepsterlems, which was pretty much the last very hard level pack I've completed, as the other ones I've mentioned I actually finished them all before Nepsterlems, but that's all courtesy of Black Hole 1 stumping me for almost 3 years. For the record, Lemmings United and Lemmings Plus Alpha I finished them back in 2020, while LPO2 I completed just last month. Lemmings United took an entire year for me to solve everything, Lemmings Plus Alpha took me a few months, and LPO2 took me a few weeks. I checked the timestamps of my replays for Nepsterlems, and I apparently started your pack back in January 2020, during the time when I was playing United and still very far from finishing. So, it apparently has taken me nearly 3.5 years before I finally solved all of Nepsterlems.

Thank you for this pack, Nepster! :thumbsup: We here at the Lemmings Forums miss you and hope you're doing ok and that you'll make a return sooner rather than later. Lots has happened during your absence. 

Offline Swerdis

• View Profile
« Reply #97 on: May 28, 2023, 05:41:33 PM »
Wow, that is great news. My warmest congratulations to you for not only having solved a pack I never dared to start, but also for having solved all these super-hard packs that exist out there so far. If there's nothing left to play right now for you, you could continue creating your own pack :)

Offline kaywhyn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: May 28, 2023, 06:22:08 PM »
Thank your for your congratulations, Swerdis! :thumbsup: As for a future level pack from me, we will see. I don't know if I'll be making one, as I never considered the possibility. However, if it was meant as a suggestion that I try my hand at making one, now I might consider it. Only time will tell. 
« Last Edit: May 28, 2023, 06:50:06 PM by kaywhyn »