Author Topic: [NeoLemmix] NepsterLems  (Read 40270 times)

Offline IchoTolot

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: NepsterLems - Release thread
« Reply #15 on: April 11, 2016, 08:15:20 PM »
Everything is currently solved except for   BH 14 + BH 21    :)

Replays attached!

Offline Nepster

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 13, 2016, 09:36:09 PM »
I updated NepsterLems, so that it stays solvable in new NeoLemmix versions (at least with high probability). This meant removing the deadly sides gimmick from all levels, which may or may not have introduced new backroutes in some levels when played with V1.43.

Apart from that I did fix a lot of IchoTolot's backroutes:
  3-16, 4-7, 4-8, 4-9,5-7, 5-8, 5-11, 5-12, 5-16, 5-18, 5-19, 6-2, 6-3, 6-4, 6-5, 6-7, 6-8, 6-9, 6-11, 6-12, 6-13, 6-16, 6-17, 6-18, 6-19, 6-20
In addition to that, I replaced 4-15 by a completely new level. The old level had un-fixable backroutes and with the oncoming physics changes a few more easy backroutes will become possible. So a level from "Return of the Tribes" got moved here.

The following levels were solved by IchoTolot in a non-intended way, but the solutions were comparable in difficulty and beauty to the intended solutions, so they will stay:
  4-10, 4-11, 4-13, 4-18, 5-4, 5-13, 5-14, 5-15, 6-6, 6-15.

Offline IchoTolot

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 28, 2016, 07:04:33 PM »
Alright, updated replays here 8-)

Everything solved except  BH  9 ,14 + 21

Offline Wafflem

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 29, 2016, 02:09:28 AM »
Here are some replays! Most of the levels are ones I've already beaten during testing, so I'm only posting those that may be backroutes.

Planet 3 "Another Miner Problem" - I have one miner left.
Planet 15 "A Stroll on the Lawn" - I'm left with one climber. Not sure if the climber is meant to be a decoy.
Planet 17 "Minor Obstacles" - this one looks like a major backroute. But, if this is the type of level that is meant to have multiple solutions, I would switch it with Planet 9 "Lemming Playground" since the latter really boggles my mind and it's a two-of-everything level.
Sun 4 "Sewer Lemmings" - might be a backroute since I am left with one blocker.
Sun 11 "It's hero time again!" - this one's definitely a backroute.
Neutron Star 5 "Silence on Earth" - this one is definitely one as well.

Overall, I can only beat the Comet, Moon, and almost all of the Planet levels. Other than that, it was a great experience testing this pack! It is extremely hard, but it really feels very rewarding once you beat the harder levels!
YouTube: www.tinyurl.com/YTWafflem
Twitch: www.twitch.tv/Wafflem467

Have level designer's block right now? Have some of my incomplete levels for LOTS of ideas!

Offline Nepster

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 29, 2016, 04:11:52 PM »
IchoTolot: You have produced another 18 backroutes :(, though some of them start resembling the intended solution. At least Black Hole 19 (Devil's Right Hand) is essentially geoo's solution, thus completely acceptable. And I decided to accept you solution to Black Hole 17 (Everclimbing Lemming) as well, although it changes quite a bit regarding the order of the skill assignments and the way some obstacles are passed.

DynaLem:
- Planet 3: Intended solution. The other miner is only there to avoid the pixel precise placement in your solution.
- Planet 15: Another slight variation of the intended solution.
- Planet 17: This is a rather open-ended level. However I am not sure, if I want to keep your solution, as it looks quite a bit simpler than the ones I have seen until now. Switching it with Planet 9 might be a good idea nevertheless.
- Sun 4: Having a blocker spare is no problem at all.
- Sun 11: Yes, I have to fix this.
- Neutron Star 5: It is certainly not the intended solution. But given all the other alternative solution (that cannot be easily fixed), I decided to accept (almost) all solutions. So your solution is fine.

Offline Wafflem

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 29, 2016, 04:34:46 PM »
Hmmmm...I'd switch Sun 4 with either Planet 14 "Just a quickie!" or Planet 18 "Divorce" then. Planet 14 is difficult - a 30-second level with a one-of-everything skillset and a 99 release rate, all of which make it feel like an early-Sun level. Divorce could also work in Sun because it's a big level with so many obstacles and LOTS of planning that it also boggles my mind. Note that Sun 4 is the only Sun level I've beaten. You could maybe do a three-way switch:
Sun 4 --> Planet 14 --> Planet 18 --> Sun 4

I would also put Neutron Star 5 in an earlier rank - maybe Planet.

Also, forgot one more replay - a backroute to Sun 1 "Five do not survive". Had to reproduce this one since the other replay is in another computer.

EDIT: And Neutron Star 8 "Three Little Lemmings", which is also likely a backroute.
EDIT 2:Here's Neutron Star 14 "I smell something rotten here...", also a backroute.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2016, 02:55:02 PM by DynaLem »

Have level designer's block right now? Have some of my incomplete levels for LOTS of ideas!

Offline Nepster

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 30, 2016, 02:50:22 PM »
Uploaded NepsterLems V1.3 with backroute fixes for the following levels:
  3-16, 3-17, 4-1, 4-9, 4-11, 4-15, 5-7, 5-8, 5-11, 5-19, 6-3, 6-4, 6-5, 6-7, 6-8, 6-11, 6-12, 6-13, 6-16, 6-18, 6-20
Some levels got swapped as suggested by DynaLem and IchoTolot (though not always in precisely the manner they suggested).

V1.3 fixes as well DynaLems backroutes to "Five do not survive" and "Three Little Lemmings". I only saw the latest edit right now, so "I smell something rotten here..." will only get fixed in V1.4 (assuming it is indeed a backroute).

Offline Wafflem

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 30, 2016, 04:01:44 PM »
Just want to point out that NepsterLems is still displayed as version 1.2 in the main post.

Forgot to mention a Comet switch suggestion:
Comet 12 "Neighbour Help" is way too hard for its position (I'd say second-hardest to Ninjas in the Attic), while Comet 13 "Underground Labyrinth"and Comet 14 "Curiosity", the solutions stand out more. This level also really feels like the level that would work towards very-late Comet. So, a three-way switch would work:
Comet 12 --> Comet 14 --> Comet 13 --> Comet 12

Planet 5 "Earth Cube" should be switched with Planet 8 "Fifty-one steps to heaven," if my replay to Planet 8 is not a backroute. I feel Planet 8 is the type that has multiple solutions and it stands out more than Planet 5's.

Also, how's this solution to Planet 9 "Minor Obstacles"?

Offline IchoTolot

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 30, 2016, 04:08:49 PM »
Uploaded NepsterLems V1.3 with backroute fixes for the following levels:
  3-16, 3-17, 4-1, 4-9, 4-11, 4-15, 5-7, 5-8, 5-11, 5-19, 6-3, 6-4, 6-5, 6-7, 6-8, 6-11, 6-12, 6-13, 6-16, 6-18, 6-20
Some levels got swapped as suggested by DynaLem and IchoTolot (though not always in precisely the manner they suggested).

V1.3 fixes as well DynaLems backroutes to "Five do not survive" and "Three Little Lemmings". I only saw the latest edit right now, so "I smell something rotten here..." will only get fixed in V1.4 (assuming it is indeed a backroute).

Which levels exactly were swapped?

Could you write a changelog for this here as well, so that I can simply just swap the replay names in my folder ----> fixing replays again would be a lot easier this way ;P

Offline Nepster

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 30, 2016, 04:19:46 PM »
Which levels exactly were swapped?

Could you write a changelog for this here as well, so that I can simply just swap the replay names in my folder ----> fixing replays again would be a lot easier this way ;P
If you download NepsterLems via the download link in the first post, you always get the current ChangeLog.txt as well, where you can find more details about all the changes, including swapped positions. For V1.2 -> V.13 the changed positions are
  3-9 <-> 3-17
  3-14 <-> 4-4
  4-9 <-> 5-5
  5-18 <-> 6-4

DynaLem: I prefer not to make position changes, if it is just moving a level two positions later. This is just too much work for everyone updating their replays to new positions. I will make a note about Planet 5 vs. 8 though, but unless I change a few other level positions as well, these levels will likely stay at their current positions now.

PS: Your solution to "I smell something rotten here..." is indeed a backroute.

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #25 on: May 10, 2016, 01:52:54 AM »
Just downloaded the latest version and will start doing a video playthrough soon.

One thing - the music pack won't work unless the filename of the music pack matches that of the NXP (- ".nxp", + "_music.dat", not case sensitive). So, either the NXP should be "NepsterLems.nxp" or the music pack should be "NepsterLems V1.3_Music.dat".

EDIT: A heads up to anyone else playing this pack and intending to record - don't use the custom music, as many tracks are flagged for copyright by Youtube; most just cause "Not available in Germany", but at least one outright causes the entire video's audio to be muted. A shame really, because there's some very nice music in here.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2016, 05:10:48 AM by namida »
My Lemmings projects
2D Lemmings: NeoLemmix (engine) | Lemmings Plus Series (level packs) | Doomsday Lemmings (level pack)
3D Lemmings: Loap (engine) | L3DEdit (level / graphics editor) | L3DUtils (replay / etc utility) | Lemmings Plus 3D (level pack)

Offline Nepster

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 10, 2016, 10:56:52 PM »
Interesting to hear that, especially as you pointed out in IRC that the music to level 12 in rank 1 is one of the main offenders: It is the part "Quam olim Abrahae" of Bruckner's requiem in d-minor, which was written 167 years ago. I really thought it would no longer be copyrighted...
Given this info I will probably change my plans and stick to the usual tunes instead of using some works by Chopin and Dvorak for future level packs.

PS to everyone making video playthroughs: Please save your replays and send them to me. I find it much more convenient and faster to check replays via replay files instead of watching videos on youtube.

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #27 on: May 11, 2016, 04:10:31 AM »
It is the part "Quam olim Abrahae" of Bruckner's requiem in d-minor, which was written 167 years ago. I really thought it would no longer be copyrighted...

The music itself wouldn't be, but the specific performance of it could be.

PS to everyone making video playthroughs: Please save your replays and send them to me. I find it much more convenient and faster to check replays via replay files instead of watching videos on youtube.

I have replay auto-saving on, so I'll be able to send you these too. Do you want them as I complete them, or in one go when I finish (or maybe as I finish each rank)?
My Lemmings projects
2D Lemmings: NeoLemmix (engine) | Lemmings Plus Series (level packs) | Doomsday Lemmings (level pack)
3D Lemmings: Loap (engine) | L3DEdit (level / graphics editor) | L3DUtils (replay / etc utility) | Lemmings Plus 3D (level pack)

Offline Nepster

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 11, 2016, 03:58:24 PM »
Perhaps, though the recodings are anything but recent. Anyway, to be on the safe side, I removed the music pack from any download.

I have replay auto-saving on, so I'll be able to send you these too. Do you want them as I complete them, or in one go when I finish (or maybe as I finish each rank)?
Whenever you think sending me the replays makes sense.

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #29 on: May 11, 2016, 04:35:06 PM »
Perhaps, though the recodings are anything but recent. Anyway, to be on the safe side, I removed the music pack from any download.

Whenever you think sending me the replays makes sense.

Re: music pack; Unless we actually receive a complaint of some kind (unlikely), I'm not going to remove the link or insist you don't post them here just because Youtube flags them in videos. Of course, if you want to do so to err on the side of caution for your own sake, then that may indeed be the safer option. Regarding that specific track, from what I can gather the recording is from 1987, so probably old enough that legal trouble is unlikely in practice, but definitely new enough to be covered by copyright.

Re: Replays, I'll send them as I finish each rank then. I'll PM you the Comet ones now.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2016, 05:07:42 PM by namida »
My Lemmings projects