Author Topic: Lemmings Plus V - Development Topic  (Read 22372 times)

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
Lemmings Plus V - Development Topic
« on: February 10, 2016, 04:11:14 PM »
Lemmings Plus V

Lemmings Plus V has now been released; see the release topic.

Lemmings Plus V is an in-development continuation of the main-series Lemmings Plus games, developed (as usual) for NeoLemmix. It will consist of five ranks - Blissful, Touchy, Edgy, Unruly and Outrageous - consisting of 15 levels each. As usual for a main-series Lemmings Plus game, Lemmings Plus V is also bringing four new graphic sets.

Difficulty-wise, Lemmings Plus V is shaping up to be perhaps the hardest Lemmings Plus game yet. That's not to say it's on the same level as Lemmings Reunion or NepsterLems - I doubt I could ever achieve that - but it is saying that yes, it's going to be harder than Lemmings Plus III was.

As it is unclear when the new NeoLemmix version will be ready, Lemmings Plus V is being developed for the current stable version of NeoLemmix; however, changes being made for the experimental version are being taken into account, and it is very likely it will convert much more smoothly to the new version than the older Lemmings Plus packs will.

Graphic Sets

Lemmings Plus V brings four all-new graphic sets to the table - and they're far from just palette swaps of one or two central ideas; each graphic set is unique in some way (at least in comparison to each other).

Abstract
The Abstract graphic set is reminiscient of Lemmings Plus II's Psychedelic set, though much easier on the eyes. The pieces don't represent any specific objects; they're simply shapes in various colors. In contrast to the colorful terrain, the objects are very dull-colored, which in their own way makes them stand out. The Abstract set is almost exclusively a straight-edged graphic set.
Preview (click to show/hide)

Honeycomb
The Honeycomb graphic set is best described as a graphic set half way between straight edged and rough edged. The primary terrain is hexagonal honeycombs, with some less-common pieces of both the straight and rough-edged variety. Despite the simplicity of the graphic set, some very interesting level concepts have come out of it. Oh, and who doesn't love bees harmlessly flying around in the background... or in some cases, trying to sting you?

Mineshaft
The Mineshaft graphic set is basically the "generic, classic style" graphic set of Lemmings Plus V. Featuring primarily rough-edged terrain, but with plenty of straight-edge to go around too, the Mineshaft set's strength is in terrain versatility; objects tend to be few and far between.

Machine
The Machine set is unique not just among Lemmings Plus V's graphic sets, but perhaps among all graphic sets, in that it is primarily steel. Aside from the occasional bit of rusty machinery, Machine levels tend to be entirely steel - a concept that has seen use before on the scale of individual levels, but not on the scale of an entire graphic set. Expect a high focus on constructive and permanent skills here, and beware of preassigned permanents.

Ranks

Blissful
As expected, things start off easy-ish. There's levels to introduce the graphic sets, a few levels to refresh the player on some key concepts, and some fairly simple puzzles. However, don't expect much of the old X-of-everything kind of level - there's a few, but they're the minority here, in favor of simple puzzles.

Touchy
The difficulty starts to ramp up quite quickly here. Still, the levels should be well within most players' ability to solve, given some effort.

Edgy
This is where it gets really serious. The puzzles tend to get quite hard around here, though for the most part remain fairly short.

Unruly
The puzzles here not only keep getting harder, but in some cases start getting longer as well. And a couple of new tricks show up...

Outrageous
At this point, we're talking "harder than Fierce". These levels will be, for the most part, brutal. I'm nice enough to give you a couple of breathers, though. Sort of.

Demo Downloads

All demos are designed to be played on the stable version of NeoLemmix; ie: V1.43n-F should be used. However, they should work on the V1.47n experimental as well.

Demo 1 Download: http://www.neolemmix.com/old/mypacks/LemmingsPlusVDemo1.nxp
Contains 9 levels.

Demo 2 Download: http://www.neolemmix.com/old/mypacks/LemmingsPlusVDemo2.nxp
Contains 5 levels.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2016, 02:04:56 PM by namida »
My Lemmings projects
2D Lemmings: NeoLemmix (engine) | Lemmings Plus Series (level packs) | Doomsday Lemmings (level pack)
3D Lemmings: Loap (engine) | L3DEdit (level / graphics editor) | L3DUtils (replay / etc utility) | Lemmings Plus 3D (level pack)

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
Re: (New Project) - Development Topic
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2016, 04:11:19 PM »
Progress:

Here's what's left to do before the first release will be ready:

Removing last few known backroutes
Verifying all solutions for V1.43n-F
Verifying all solutions for V1.47n
Possible reordering of some levels
Selecting talismans and verifying their solutions for V1.43n-F and V1.47n
« Last Edit: August 24, 2016, 11:04:47 PM by namida »
My Lemmings projects
2D Lemmings: NeoLemmix (engine) | Lemmings Plus Series (level packs) | Doomsday Lemmings (level pack)
3D Lemmings: Loap (engine) | L3DEdit (level / graphics editor) | L3DUtils (replay / etc utility) | Lemmings Plus 3D (level pack)

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
Re: (New Project) - Development Topic
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2016, 04:11:23 PM »
Graphic set previews
(I guess these somewhat double as level previews too, but I'm generally choosing early-game, easy levels for these.)

Abstract (click to show/hide)

Honeycomb (click to show/hide)

Mineshaft (click to show/hide)

Machine (click to show/hide)

Demo (Un)solved Levels

All demo levels have been solved, though the Unruly level from the 1st demo has only been solved via backroutes (which have been fixed for the full game, but I decided against updating the demo).
« Last Edit: July 04, 2016, 03:17:03 AM by namida »
My Lemmings projects

Offline RubiX

• Amiga <3 The memories
    • View Profile
Re: Lemmings Plus V - Development Topic
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2016, 07:57:13 PM »
Sounds good.   Its interesting how just a single shape can make a nice graphic set. 
Honeycomb looks pretty awsome :)

Offline Minim

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2016, 08:04:41 PM »
That sounds very exciting. It's also an opportunity for us to come up with some tileset and music ideas! :)

If you're stuck for ideas, you can always have a look at this old thread.
Level Solving Contest creator. Anybody bored and looking for a different challenge? Try these levels!

Neolemmix: #1 #4 #5 #6
Lix: #2  #7
Both Engines: #3

Offline GigaLem

• The Dog That Brought Lemmings to Avalice
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2016, 08:22:54 PM »
I figured this was in development
Looking forward to it, Need suggestions for tilesets

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2016, 08:30:36 PM »
I'll take a look through those old suggestions (and any new ones made) at some point, probably once I'm closer to finishing the Honeycomb set. I've had two other suggestions sent to me via PM; one of them I quite like the sound of and may very well go with, the other I'm not quite so sure about.

I'd also like some feedback in regards to the flames for the Honeycomb exit. Which version do you guys prefer - the single-flame or dual-flame one?

(The images are in APNG format which isn't supported by all browsers. If you can't see them at all, or if they don't animate, try using Firefox or Safari if you can.)
« Last Edit: February 10, 2016, 08:47:35 PM by namida »
My Lemmings projects

Offline Gronkling

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2016, 08:41:58 PM »
The single flame one is cute :> I'd also recommend making the honeycomb's water slightly more orange so it sticks out more against the terrain + looks more like honey
quick mockup (click to show/hide)

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2016, 08:53:44 PM »
I made some changes. I didn't quite go for as strong a color as you've used there. Check in the 2nd post.

The shot is using the two-flame exit for now, but I'm still unsure about which one I'll ultimately use. I might even keep both.

You may also notice a few bees in the level. These are moving background objects, similar to the stars in LPIV's Space set.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2016, 09:29:34 PM by namida »
My Lemmings projects

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2016, 10:13:43 AM »
So I put up a video demonstrating a few things from the Honeycomb set.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4yiLbPpxQj8

Enjoy. :)
My Lemmings projects

Offline IchoTolot

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2016, 11:22:38 AM »
I can't resist to post this about the honeycomp set :P 

(if you get the reference)

Really great set overall!! :thumbsup::thumbsup:   

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #11 on: February 11, 2016, 07:34:01 PM »
Since progress has been going quite quick, I'm going to aim for - and keep in mind, I am not making any promises here, just a goal - having a demo ready for Lemmings Day. :) Similar to how I structured LPIII and LPIV's demos, I'm intending to have more levels from the earlier ranks and less from the later ones - probably 2 each from Blissful, Touchy and Edgy, 1 from Unruly, and none (maybe 1) from Outrageous. Even if I make more graphic sets before then, the demo will probably only include levels from the Abstract and Honeycomb sets.

Of course, this means I'm going to need to put some effort into making some levels that are suitable for Touchy... I often find the 2nd rank is the hardest to make levels for.
My Lemmings projects

Offline RubiX

• Amiga <3 The memories
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 11, 2016, 08:01:25 PM »
Very cool demo.  Love the bees in background!

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #13 on: February 13, 2016, 01:34:37 PM »
Alright, the first demo is here! :D Not quite Lemmings Day in all timezones yet, but it is in mine, so... :)

http://www.neolemmix.com/old/mypacks/LemmingsPlusVDemo1.nxp

It requires NeoLemmix V1.41n or V1.42n. It contains 7 levels total - two each from the first three ranks, and one from the fourth. No cheat code is nessecary; the demo has the "Unlock All Levels" option active. Enjoy, and if you do play, please send / post replays of your solutions to the harder levels - some of them haven't been backroute tested much.

Although I didn't include any talismans in the demo, one talisman I'm strongly considering that relates to one of the levels in the demo - saving every lemming on "Welcome To The Hive" (the second Blissful level in the demo). Feel free to give it a shot if you like. :)
« Last Edit: February 13, 2016, 02:48:07 PM by namida »
My Lemmings projects

Offline Wafflem

• View Profile
Re: Lemmings Plus V - Development Topic (Demo Released!)
« Reply #14 on: February 13, 2016, 02:20:57 PM »
Awesome!!! :thumbsup:

I'm really liking this game so far. The Honeycomb one is definitely my favorite LPV style, and may possibly become my favorite style of all LP styles! Definitely using this one in a future project! :thumbsup: But I will have to wait until the other graphic sets are made to see which will ultimately be my favorite style.

I sent you a PM with replays and some comments. I'd also definitely include the talisman for Welcome to the Hive; that level is tricky for a Blissful level due to the low number of platformers and builders, and saving 100% adds to the challenge.

My favorite level so far is Working Bee.
YouTube: www.tinyurl.com/YTWafflem
Twitch: www.twitch.tv/Wafflem467

Have level designer's block right now? Have some of my incomplete levels for LOTS of ideas!

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #15 on: February 13, 2016, 04:24:35 PM »
Touchy 2 has some questionable routes - I'm undecided as to whether or not I'll fix them.
Unruly 1 has some beyond-any-doubt backroutes.

I'll wait a little bit longer to see what else people come up with, and release an updated demo that fixes these backroutes.
My Lemmings projects

Offline Ron_Stard

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 14, 2016, 11:01:41 AM »
Lovely music from SMS Sonic I! :thumbsup:

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #17 on: February 17, 2016, 07:00:41 PM »
I've uploaded an updated version of the demo.

It (hopefully) fixes the backroutes to Unruly 1. I didn't change anything for Touchy 2.

It also fixes an issue with the one-way-right arrows in the Abstract set.
My Lemmings projects

Offline Flopsy

• Global Moderator
  • Lix Nerd
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 18, 2016, 04:40:03 PM »
Well I've had a playthrough of the levels aswell, I haven't been able to solve The Working Bee and The Forgotten Beauty yet.

I think all the levels are very well made though, I particularly liked The Colony Drop and Can't Go Over It. I felt pretty good about myself when I finally figured them out, Can't Go Over It had an amazing solution.
I think I did all the solutions the intended way anyway as I had nothing left over afterwards except for the early levels of course!

You've done a great job on these levels namida, unfortunately I'm not as great as others on here at finding backroutes :sick:

Offline 607

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 19, 2016, 08:20:29 PM »
Aah, I really love this, and it really makes me itching to get back into Lemmings!
But there's so much I want to get back into, but... school... :(
Anyway, I will try to at least get my files from my old disk to my new one (I got a completely upgraded setup, sans keyboard, because I love my old one, having used it all my life), and perhaps I'll get going on original Lemmings or Lemmings Plus again, and I might make some more levels, we'll see! :) (after making sure my old ones are still solvable, of course, as there seem to have been some updates in my absence from Lemmings)

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #20 on: February 20, 2016, 02:27:15 AM »
Well I've had a playthrough of the levels aswell, I haven't been able to solve The Working Bee and The Forgotten Beauty yet.

The Working Bee is a bit tricky, but if you've solved my earlier packs, most of the tricks used are ones you've seen before. :)

As for The Forgotten Beauty, it is a very hard level (at least if it's backroute-free now). I couldn't decide whether it should go into the 4th or 5th rank; I currently have it placed very close to the end of the 4th, but I might move it into the 5th.
My Lemmings projects

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #21 on: February 20, 2016, 06:15:16 AM »
So, time to reveal the 3rd graphic set!

Mineshaft! :)

At this point, I'm also leaning towards only having 4 graphic sets again, but nothing's for sure yet. :)
My Lemmings projects

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #22 on: March 07, 2016, 12:40:04 PM »
Progress has been a bit slow lately - between putting a lot of work into NeoLemmix itself, and non-lemmings-related IRL stuff - but it's still coming along. Made a couple of new levels over the last few days. :)

Also received via PM another solution to Unruly 1 from the demo. This wasn't the intended solution, but I'm undecided at this stage whether I'm going to block off that solution or not - I do very much like it.
My Lemmings projects

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #23 on: March 21, 2016, 06:52:54 AM »
So, it's still coming along quite slowly (due to a combination of IRL stuff, putting more effort into NeoLemmix itself, and a lack of ideas lately), but as of just now, I've hit the one-third-of-the-way mark for levels! (And still haven't even started, or chosen, a 4th graphic set... mind you, I think LPII was about half done before I made the Desert set).

Here's the level that hit that mark. I've currently got it placed at Unruly 4, but I'm not entirely sure if I might move it to late-Edgy instead.

"A Waiting Game"
Save 15 of 15, Release Rate 99, No Time Limit
6 Builders, 3 Bashers
My Lemmings projects

Offline Wafflem

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 21, 2016, 04:10:58 PM »
Ooh, that's a really nice-looking large level! :thumbsup: Nice to see another Honeycomb level, though you haven't done a lot of level previews on Mineshaft yet (you've only showed one).

What are those red walls on top of the trapdoor? Are they supposed to be fire objects, or just regular terrain?
YouTube: www.tinyurl.com/YTWafflem
Twitch: www.twitch.tv/Wafflem467

Have level designer's block right now? Have some of my incomplete levels for LOTS of ideas!

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #25 on: March 21, 2016, 06:57:28 PM »
What are those red walls on top of the trapdoor? Are they supposed to be fire objects, or just regular terrain?

Regular terrain. It's meant to be a wooden frame with honey in it; but it's kind of hard to tell when it's that small.
My Lemmings projects

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #26 on: April 12, 2016, 01:06:20 PM »
Just finished the first new level in a while! Well, to be precise, I mostly made the level a week or so ago, but didn't finish testing it etc until today.
My Lemmings projects

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #27 on: June 08, 2016, 12:06:28 AM »
I know progress has been extremely slow (especially by my standards), but I assure you, Lemmings Plus V is not abandoned! :) In fact, we're technically half way on the level count now - I say that as half of 75 is 37.5, and I have 37 complete levels plus one somewhere-near-half-complete work in progress level that I'm a bit unsure on how I want to continue with. :P I've also done some more work on the 4th graphic set lately.

It's also looking like, difficutly-wise, this may end up being another LPIII rather than another LPII / Omega, so be ready... ;)
My Lemmings projects

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #28 on: June 08, 2016, 05:45:26 PM »
Well, we're now well and truly past half way. Here's the level map that brought us past this point.

As you may have guessed, this is LPV's 20-of-everything-except-builders level. :)
« Last Edit: June 15, 2016, 10:09:00 PM by namida »
My Lemmings projects

Offline Flopsy

• Global Moderator
  • Lix Nerd
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 21, 2016, 08:37:43 AM »
Finally solved Working Bee and The Forgotten Beauty. :thumbsup: (namida did give me a hint to Working Bee)

I think Working Bee was by far the hardest level in that demo for me personally.

I swear The Forgotten Beauty is a backroute because it didn't look intended eventhough I used all the skills.

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #30 on: June 21, 2016, 09:10:09 AM »
Working Bee is the intended solution. The Forgotten Beauty is yet another backroute... that level seems to have a lot of them.
My Lemmings projects

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #31 on: June 22, 2016, 10:50:25 PM »
I secretly slipped a new demo into the first post a few days ago. I think it's time to actually draw attention to it now, so yeah...

http://www.neolemmix.com/old/mypacks/LemmingsPlusVDemo2.nxp

One level from each rank in this one. :) It also features two levels in the 4th graphic set. If you want to see what it is but don't want to play the demo and find out, check the first page. :)
My Lemmings projects

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #32 on: June 23, 2016, 01:32:16 AM »
Here's a couple more level maps that I made recently.

"All About The Moves, Baby" is a mid-to-late-Unruly level, while "Lemmingcatcher" is a late-Touchy level.
My Lemmings projects

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #33 on: June 23, 2016, 02:57:14 PM »
I thought I had uploaded V4 of the second demo, but apparently V3 was still up. I've put V4 up now for sure.
My Lemmings projects

Offline joshescue18

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 23, 2016, 03:01:40 PM »
I solved Touchy 1 and Unruly 1. Here are the replays I attached on this post.

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #35 on: June 23, 2016, 03:20:35 PM »
Your replay for Unruly 1 doesn't work on the latest version of the level. Your solution to Touchy 1 is fine though, well done. :)
My Lemmings projects

Offline Flopsy

• Global Moderator
  • Lix Nerd
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 23, 2016, 07:48:11 PM »
Managed to solve the levels in the first 3 ranks although "Insert Bee Pun Here" took me a while to work out.

Same as last demo, stuck on 2 levels. No surprise which ones, at least neither of them are Honeycomb ones this time :thumbsup:

Great levels in this demo, I especially like the newest graphic set in this one ;)

Offline joshescue18

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 04, 2016, 02:51:59 AM »
What about this? It's from Unruly 1 from Demo II.

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #38 on: July 04, 2016, 03:16:14 AM »
You got the intended solution perfectly. Well done. :)
My Lemmings projects

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #39 on: July 09, 2016, 01:56:14 AM »
We're getting towards the point where I'd like to start organising some more in-depth prerelease testing, since we're only one level away from the two-thirds complete mark.

If you're interested in testing, post here or drop me a PM. It's up to you how much of the game you want to test; in general, I'd be looking for (a) backroutes, and (b) feedback on the difficulty curve. Preference will be given to those who have helped test Lemmings Plus packs in the past, but anyone who wants to help out can offer. As usual, I'm wanting people of all types of skill levels - so don't worry if you're not great at solving hard levels, because the easy levels need testing too. :)
My Lemmings projects

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #40 on: July 09, 2016, 11:13:02 AM »
Officially hit the 2/3rds mark now! Here's the level that brought it to this mark; a somewhat unusual Machine level. :) Currently it's placed in early Unruly.
My Lemmings projects

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #41 on: July 12, 2016, 08:32:59 AM »
For the first time, every rank is in the double-digits for number of levels now! (Of course, it might not stay this way if levels get shifted around more.)
My Lemmings projects

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #42 on: July 12, 2016, 03:08:58 PM »
Here's a somewhat artistic level I just made in the Machine style, called The "What The Lemming" Machine. :)

40 lemmings, save 35, release rate 1, no time limit.
10 Climbers, 10 Floaters, 1 Glider, 5 Builders, 2 Bashers.

I've currently got it placed in early-Edgy, but that may be subject to change.
My Lemmings projects

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #43 on: July 12, 2016, 03:15:20 PM »
And for those who find this kind of stuff interesting; the latest output from the style counter. I won't say anything more about this, except that it does include one copy of a "filler" level, used for the spaces I haven't put a level in yet. For the musics that have been revealed, I've noted which ones they are here too. :)

Style counter report

Total levels: 56
---
lpv_abstract: 16
lpv_honeycomb: 11
lpv_machine: 11
lpv_mineshaft: 18

---------------------------

Music report
---
abstract1: 5 <track used in eg. The Forgotten Beauty>
abstract2: 5 <track used in eg. Code BLUE>
abstract3: 5 <track used in eg. Back In Action>
abstract4: 1
honey1: 5 <track used in eg. Welcome To The Hive>
honey2: 6 <track used in eg. How Can You Bee So Cruel?>
machine1: 6 <track used in eg. Lineouts>
machine2: 5
mine1: 9
mine2: 8
silence: 1
My Lemmings projects

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #44 on: July 18, 2016, 06:49:19 PM »
Well, levels have just hit the 80% complete mark! :D

Our level that brought us to this mark was actually a rather early level in the pack, specifically, I've currently got it placed at Blissful 5.

"Bee Line"
Save 19 of 20
Release Rate 99
No time limit
1 Glider, 1 Platformer, 1 Builder, 1 Stacker
My Lemmings projects

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #45 on: July 31, 2016, 06:25:48 PM »
Somewhat slowed down again lately, but it's still going ahead.

I just made what might be one of my favorite LPV levels so far. I've currently got it placed in late-Edgy, but I'm strongly considering moving it to early-Unruly.

"Lemming Workout Routine"
Save 18 of 20
Release rate 30
No time limit
1 climber, 1 bomber, 1 blocker, 5 builders, 2 bashers, 2 miners, 2 diggers
My Lemmings projects

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #46 on: August 01, 2016, 05:17:31 PM »
Updated style counter report (as usual, this includes a single copy of the filler level for not-yet-filled slots):

Style counter report

Total levels: 63
---
lpv_abstract: 19
lpv_honeycomb: 13
lpv_machine: 13

Music report
---
abstract1: 6
abstract2: 5
abstract3: 7
honey1: 6
honey2: 7
machine1: 6
machine2: 7

Honeycomb and Machine are starting to catch up to the other two styles a bit better now. :) As another interesting tidbit, I've also noticed that, assuming the current first and last level of each rank is kept, every graphic set in Lemmings Plus V is used at least once for a rank-first level, and at least once for a rank-final level - neither of which has happened before in a Lemmings Plus pack (unless you count Holiday Lemmings Plus, that is :P ).
« Last Edit: August 01, 2016, 05:23:41 PM by namida »
My Lemmings projects

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #47 on: August 08, 2016, 09:01:53 AM »
Well, Unruly has become the first rank to hit the full 15 levels! :)

With that being said, lately I've found I'm not really having much level creating brainwaves. While it'd be awkward to reduce the number of levels per rank at this point (like I did with Lemmings Plus III), I'm strongly considering moving a few levels forward in position and throwing together some easier filler levels to fill up the early ranks - of course, it's always possible I'll manage a stroke of genius and come up with a hard level during this. There's already plenty of great, challenging levels in here.

This won't nessecerially mean the pack sees a release too soon though - there are some levels in particular that are still proving themself to be very backroute-prone, so I still need to iron out these.
My Lemmings projects

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #48 on: August 08, 2016, 06:07:32 PM »
Maybe I spoke too soon. I just came up with quite a nice level. The difficulty is borderline between Touchy and Edgy, so I've currently got it placed at Edgy 2. It might get moved, though.

"Bee Plus"
10 lemmings, 9 to be saved
Release rate 95
No time limit
Skillset: 10 Platformers

(EDIT: I suppose I should also mention, in case it wasn't obvious by now - Lemmings Plus V is not going to have VGASPEC levels.)
« Last Edit: August 08, 2016, 08:05:09 PM by namida »
My Lemmings projects

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #49 on: August 08, 2016, 08:08:37 PM »
Up-to-date style counter output (still includes a filler level, as always).

Style counter report

Total levels: 70
---
lpv_honeycomb: 18
lpv_machine: 15

Music report
---
honey1: 8
honey2: 10
machine1: 8
machine2: 7

Honeycomb has caught up to Abstract and Mineshaft now! Machine is still lagging slightly behind.
My Lemmings projects

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #50 on: August 10, 2016, 01:11:09 PM »
Three levels to go - two for Blissful, one for Touchy. :)

At the current point in time, all styles have an equal number of levels:

Style counter report

Total levels: 73
---
lpv_honeycomb: 18
lpv_machine: 18

Music report
---
honey1: 8
honey2: 10
machine1: 10
machine2: 8

(The filler level is in Abstract style, which is why I say they're equal even though Abstract shows one more.)

I'll mostly keep it even, but obviously one style has to have one level fewer. It's most likely going to be Machine - the once per rank level uses Abstract, and there's a Part 1 / Part 2 level in Mineshaft, so those effectively have less unique maps, even if the number of levels are the same. Honeycomb vs Machine comes down to partly that the Honeycomb set seems to have had more interest, and partly that I like making levels with it more than Machine.

After that, it's just backroute testing, maybe some reordering, coming up with some more talismans, and the pack's ready! :)
My Lemmings projects

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #51 on: August 10, 2016, 02:58:09 PM »
And, we've hit the full 75 levels now, as well as getting rid of all currently-known backroutes. The first complete version is now in testers' hands, and since I started testing early (so many of the levels that aren't newly-added in this version have already been tested quite extensively), this should be shorter than earlier Lemmings Plus packs' test periods were. :) While I'm not making any promises - partially to avoid putting pressure on the testers - I'd say you can probably expect a release within a week or so. :)
My Lemmings projects

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #52 on: August 22, 2016, 05:58:38 PM »
So just to keep everyone updated... things are going a bit slower than expected, but still coming along.

One reason for the delay is that I'd like to ensure that on release, Lemmings Plus V is compatible with both V1.43n-F and V1.47n (although V1.43n-F is the primary target for now, so V1.47n might have some backroutes that slip through if those backroutes aren't possible on V1.43n-F; once V1.47n becomes stable, I'll make that the primary target). This means some extra testing work - many of the V1.43n-F replays also work on V1.47n, but not all of them do.
My Lemmings projects

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #53 on: August 24, 2016, 08:15:40 PM »
At this point, all levels are confirmed solvable with V1.47n, and while some backroutes may remain, I'm fairly confident that the majority of them have been ironed out.

As such, I'm going to finish patching up the currently-known backroutes, finish picking talismans, possibly do a bit of last-minute level reordering, and then release this pack. Expect a release very soon. :)
My Lemmings projects