Author Topic: [SUGGESTION] [EDITOR] [N/A] Order styles in Create New Level properly  (Read 2497 times)

Offline Nepster

• View Profile
Status: The editor already has this feature. See this reply for details.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2016, 05:10:03 PM by namida »

Offline Nepster

• View Profile
Re: [SUGGESTION] [EDITOR] Order styles in Create New Level properly
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2016, 07:53:41 PM »
We are getting more and more styles for NeoLemmix. On the one hand this is great, but on the other hand this makes the style list in "Create New Level" confusing: Gronkling's new styles are mixed with the L2-styles, the Sega and L1-Genesis styles appear in the middle of namida's styles, ...

In order get some kind of order into this list, here a suggestion:
Add to the NeoLemmixStyles.ini a part where one can specify
  • the order of the styles
  • the style names as they will be displayed in the style menu. E.g. a style might be displayed as namida_Clockwork, although internally it will still be referenced as Clockwork.
If no specific style name is specified in the NeoLemmixStyles.ini, then the default one is used. If a style does not appear at all in the NeoLemmixStyles.ini, then it is added at the end of the list (and the order of these styles will be determined by the current algorithm). And finally, it the NeoLemmixStyles.ini lists a style that does not exist, this style is simply skipped.

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2016, 01:13:22 AM »
Unless I'm understanding you wrong, literally everything you have described here is already how the editor works; except that the details for each individual folder of styles are listed in a "style.ini" folder in the subdirectories rather than the main "NeoLemmixStyles.ini" folder.

(For the record, you can use negative numbers for the ordering if, for any reason, you want to put styles at the start of the ordering.)

The ordering of the default ones (eg. Sega being after the LPII / LPIII styles) is a carry-over from when they were done by number. You can change their order, but just be aware that older levels (as in, very very old - 2KB or early 10KB levels; or vanilla Lemmix levels loaded directly into NeoLemmix style) may initially load in the wrong style; of course, they'll be fine if you manually change them to the correct one.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2016, 06:38:14 AM by namida »
My Lemmings projects
2D Lemmings: NeoLemmix (engine) | Lemmings Plus Series (level packs) | Doomsday Lemmings (level pack)
3D Lemmings: Loap (engine) | L3DEdit (level / graphics editor) | L3DUtils (replay / etc utility) | Lemmings Plus 3D (level pack)

Offline Nepster

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2016, 04:40:48 PM »
Yes, I looked precisely for this. Thanks!

PS: What do you think about creating a sticky FAQ-thread? Each post there would answer one question/suggestion that was asked here in some forum thread and got the answer "already implemented", e.g. Minim's question or my suggestion here.

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2016, 05:08:55 PM »
That probably is a good idea to do at some stage... anyway, I think this topic is sorted now.
My Lemmings projects
2D Lemmings: NeoLemmix (engine) | Lemmings Plus Series (level packs) | Doomsday Lemmings (level pack)
3D Lemmings: Loap (engine) | L3DEdit (level / graphics editor) | L3DUtils (replay / etc utility) | Lemmings Plus 3D (level pack)