Author Topic: Name of the musics  (Read 7166 times)

gtabrz

Name of the musics
« on: May 14, 2005, 11:45:08 PM »

Does anybody knows the name of the first music that is played in Lemmings 1? All I know is that it&#B4;s a classical music... Actually I would like to know where I can find the name of all Lemmings musics.. but mainly the first one..

Thank you,

Gustavo

Offline Shvegait

• View Profile
Re: Name of the musics
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2005, 02:44:11 AM »
In the DOS version, the first song resembles Canon in D, but they throw some twists in it.

In the other versions, the first song is the Can-Can.

Offline Proxima

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2005, 08:25:45 AM »
Most of the musics don't have names as far as I know...... they seem to be original compositions. The ones that are from other sources are (and the numbers refer to the order of the musics in the Mac game):

1 The Cancan (from Orpheus in the Underworld by Offenbach)
5 [I've heard it's from Swan Lake but I don't know if this is true, or if it is, whether the piece has an individual title]
8 How much is that doggy in the window?
9 from The Nutcracker by Tchaikovsky
11 Rondo alla Turca, by Mozart
12 London Bridge is falling down
14 O little town of Bethlehem / Forest Green
15 Baby Face
16 Ten green bottles
17 She'll be coming round the mountain

Offline Mr. K

• Former admin, always Lemmings fan
    • View Profile
    • Wafflenet
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2005, 10:03:58 AM »
So you think some of them are original?  Strange, I remember  one of the guys from Psygnosis (I think it was Mike) saying that they were all taken from classical music to avoid copyright stuff.

According to your list, Ahribar, Level 14 is Little town of Bethlehem-- but I think it's the second part of an English folk tune called Forest Green.  Back when my parents made me have piano lessons, I played Forest Green, and was thinking "Holy cow! This is from Lemmings!" Whereas I'm listening to the songs right now and that doesn't sound anything like Little Town of Bethlehem

Offline Proxima

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2005, 10:15:19 AM »
Um, maybe you know a different tune for "O little town"? I just Googled "Forest Green", and to me, that's the same tune as "O little town". I've edited the list to include both names.

Offline Shvegait

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2005, 12:39:37 PM »
No songs of the originals sound anything like "O Little Town of Bethlehem" to me at all...

« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2005, 03:29:32 PM »
Quote from: Mr. Ksoft  link=1116114309/0#3 date=1116151438
So you think some of them are original? &#A0;Strange, I remember &#A0;one of the guys from Psygnosis (I think it was Mike) saying that they were all taken from classical music to avoid copyright stuff.

He didn't say "classical music" per se, just "timeless classics".  You probably read it straight from Mike's website.  Here's the relevant excerpt:

The music and Sound Effects were done by Brian Johnson (Scott's brother), and the reason the tunes were...crap... was to avoid any copyright problems. That's not to say Brain did a crap job! The tunes were great; no I mean why we used such timeless classics as "How much was that doggie in the window?" etc. However, I seem to recall that Gary Timmons did the intro music, for some reason. The sound effects were superb however, and the game wouldn't have been the same without them. Scott's mum I believe was the first voice of the lemmings.

------------------------

That being said, it seems no one (me included) was yet able to map all of the music to specific melodies, songs, tunes or compositions.  So much for "timeless classics".  :D ;)

Offline Shvegait

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2005, 05:10:42 PM »
Well, many of them were, at least partly. That doesn't mean they all were. I don't see how they'd run into copyright problems by creating original music... I think Mike just meant that most recent music couldn't have been used, so they used classics for most of their tunes.

Offline The Doctor

• Jason the Human
    • View Profile
    • zapzupnz.com
« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2005, 07:01:06 AM »
On the Sega Master system version, here are the names of the KNOWN Lemmings musics:
Bold entries were unique to the SMS version.

All tunes were composed by Matt Furniss

JUST DIG - Can can - Jacques Offenbach
YOU NEED BASHERS THIS TIME - Dance of the Four Little Swans - Tchaikovsky
AS LONG AS YOU TRY YOUR BEST - Dance of the Reed-Flutes - also Tchaikovsky
EASY WHEN YOU KNOW HOW - Don't Dilly Dally on the Way - Charles Collins
NOT AS COMPLICATED AS IT LOOKS - How much is that Doggy in the window? - Loulou Gaste
PATIENCE - London Bridge - ?
ORIGINS AND LEMMINGS - Miniature Overture - Tchaikovsky
KEEP YOUR HAIR ON MR LEMMING - Ronda Alla Turca - Mozart
DON'T LET YOUR EYES DECEIVE YOU - Scotland the Brave - ?
DON'T DO ANYTHING TOO HASTY - She'll be coming 'round the Mountain - ?

Amiga version differs, but I thought I'd drop this in. Other levels I do not know  :P
This Lemmings forum is simply *fabulous*!