Author Topic: Manual for NeoLemmix - Update to V1.43  (Read 7988 times)

Offline Nepster

• View Profile
Manual for NeoLemmix - Update to V1.43
« on: January 24, 2016, 10:44:40 AM »
Let me present to you: THE NEW NEOLEMMIX MANUAL
  • everything you ever wanted to know and then some...
  • searchable and with lots of in-document hyperlinks...
  • many pictures (even with a :8(): in action!)

There are still a few known issues:
  • Introduction section needs a decent text. Unfortunately my literary skills are insufficient for this task. Any help is welcome here.

Many thanks to namida for patiently answering my questions and proofreading.

Any feedback, suggestions, reports on incorrect statements or missing information, ... is very welcome.
If you notice any hyperlink that jumps to the line below the corresponding heading, please report this as well. When left to itself, that :devil: hyperref-package does this every time. Argh!
« Last Edit: March 06, 2016, 03:08:23 PM by Nepster »

Offline IchoTolot

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Manual for NeoLemmix
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2016, 12:03:01 PM »
This is far more superior than every readme/tutorial levels made so far :thumbsup::thumbsup:

Covers the basics as well as every little tweaks the game has to offer (like the trees in the shodow tileset)

This should be at least looked at by every new player and maybe even linked in custom packs!

Offline Nepster

• View Profile
Re: Manual for NeoLemmix
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2016, 09:15:08 PM »
Manual updated to V1.39. See first post. Changes are:
  • Mentioned external music files both for standard Lemmings music and for special custom musics
  • Added "White-Out Zero Skill Count" option in global options
  • Corrected mistake, that Ghosts can be assigned the swimmer and disarmer skill

Offline Nepster

• View Profile
Re: Manual for NeoLemmix - Update to V1.40
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2016, 07:09:03 PM »
Manual updated to V1.40. See first post. Changes are:
  • System graphics dump via F7 added
  • Replay mode description changed and new replay mode option added
  • Properly annotated Main menu image added
  • Climber mechanics updated
  • RAM requirement updated
  • Gronkling's amazing weasel trap included
  • Tab as hotkey warning removed

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2016, 03:45:27 AM »
Some things I notice with the latest version:

Page 17: "hyperlinkpar:LvlSkillsskillbar" in the Highlight Lemming section.

Additionally, the description is slightly off. A normal click on a skill still selects the skill as normal. If you click the skill the same way that you would click a lemming to highlight it (with default settings and hotkeys, this would just be a right-click; but if for example, you've reconfigured the Highlight Lemming key to T, then it'd be hold T and click the skill), that will assign it directly to the highlit lemming.

Also - a thought. The "Show Athlete Info", might it be worth mentioning that this is always displayed for a Zombie or Ghost that has at least one permanent skill?

Warning: As the game computes the level state by replaying the whole level, there is a small time lag
between hitting the hotkey and seeing the result. This is especially noticeable at the end of long levels.
The same warning applies to all hotkeys going backwards in time.

One of the recent updates (V1.39n-B, if I remember correctly) addressed this - this is the whole reason for the increased memory requirement recently, because it's constantly saving copies of the level's current state to memory (about every 10 seconds, but it clears out the older ones - the exact formula is every 10 seconds during the last minute, every 30 seconds during the last 3 minutes, and every minute (including at frame zero) for the remainder of the level).

Quote from: Cancel Replay hotkey
Remark: This hotkey was mainly added for people using the Cancel Replay option.
You mean "Explicit Replay Cancelling"? Someone who already knows the options would most likely have no trouble telling what this means, but those who don't might get a tad confused here.

I don't know if it's worth mentioning the F7 thing. I'll be taking that out again once MAIN.DAT support is dropped altogether, which is probably going to be the next update.

The hyperlinks also seem to not work in Foxit Reader; I don't know if this is a problem with the PDF itself or with the reader software though.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2016, 11:53:06 AM by namida »
My Lemmings projects
2D Lemmings: NeoLemmix (engine) | Lemmings Plus Series (level packs) | Doomsday Lemmings (level pack)
3D Lemmings: Loap (engine) | L3DEdit (level / graphics editor) | L3DUtils (replay / etc utility) | Lemmings Plus 3D (level pack)

Offline Nepster

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2016, 05:55:09 PM »
I have uploaded an updated version incorporating almost all suggestions.

I don't know if it's worth mentioning the F7 thing. I'll be taking that out again once MAIN.DAT support is dropped altogether, which is probably going to be the next update.
Then I will delete that paragraph again for the V1.41 manual. I see no harm keeping it in the manual for V1.40.

The hyperlinks also seem to not work in Foxit Reader; I don't know if this is a problem with the PDF itself or with the reader software though.
According to google, non-working links seems to be common problem with the Foxit Reader (at least in earlier versions). Here they proposed the fix to use the hand tool instead of the text selection tool.
If this still doesn't work, I will install Foxit Reader myself and try to reproduce the non-working links.

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2016, 06:06:36 PM »
Yes, using the hand tool works.

I'll give more feedback on the new version later; don't quite have time right now sorry.
My Lemmings projects
2D Lemmings: NeoLemmix (engine) | Lemmings Plus Series (level packs) | Doomsday Lemmings (level pack)
3D Lemmings: Loap (engine) | L3DEdit (level / graphics editor) | L3DUtils (replay / etc utility) | Lemmings Plus 3D (level pack)

Offline Nepster

• View Profile
Re: Manual for NeoLemmix - Update to V1.43
« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2016, 03:15:08 PM »
Updated the manual to V1.43. See first post. Changes are:
  • Mass replay checker via F7 added (and Mass Image Dump removed)
  • Online options explained
  • New hotkey "R" on preview screen
  • Proper Result screen picture (without score value)
  • Direct drop explanation updated
  • Typo with default value of Release mouse hotkey fixed
  • Internet connection as a prerequisite of using the online features added (what a surprising fact :lem-mindblown:)

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2016, 03:29:07 PM »
New hotkey "R" on preview screen

It's not really new, just obscure and I kept forgetting to mention it. It was first added in V1.29n.
My Lemmings projects

Offline IchoTolot

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 28, 2018, 04:08:18 PM »
With the latest NL new formats update I will be picking this up again.

I've aquired Nepster's LateX files and will sart overhauling/rewriting the manual for the new formats.

This will take quite a while (I'm guessing 1-2 months) due to me having to completely do a lot of pictures from scratch again and redo quite a lot of texts. Also I've got other stuff to do as well. :P

When it's ready I will set up a new topic, where users can post things I've missed or got wrong.

Offline Strato Incendus

• The King of Shimmiers (crowned by Flopsy ;D )
  • #RIP Spearer/Grenader (2020 - 2021)
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 28, 2018, 05:34:33 PM »
Oh, I was confused for a second... how can anyone update to NeoLemmix 1.43? :D

So it's version 1.43 of just the manual, got it! :)

Nice idea, didn't know that a manual existed in the first place! :thumbsup:
My packs so far:
Lemmings World Tour (New & Old Formats), my music-themed flagship pack, 320 levels - Let's Played by Colorful Arty
Lemmings Open Air, my newest release and follow-up to World Tour, 120 levels
Paralems (Old Formats), a more flavour-driven one, 150 levels
Pit Lems (Old Formats), a more puzzly one, 100 levels - Let's Played by nin10doadict
Lemmicks, a pack for (very old) NeoLemmix 1.43 full of gimmicks, 170 levels

Offline Nepster

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 30, 2018, 05:56:48 PM »
So it's version 1.43 of just the manual, got it! :)
No, it was the manual for NeoLemmix version 1.43, which never got updated to any of the newer versions. That was when I wasn't doing any coding for NeoLemmix and still had a lot more time for stuff like this... :)

Offline Strato Incendus

• The King of Shimmiers (crowned by Flopsy ;D )
  • #RIP Spearer/Grenader (2020 - 2021)
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 30, 2018, 06:13:02 PM »
Yeah, I figured those two numbers would be related ;) . I'd propose to update the number now to simply be "12.4", if the manual is being picked up again. Otherwise, we're going to have completely separate version numbers for player and manual in the near future :D .
My packs so far:
Lemmings World Tour (New & Old Formats), my music-themed flagship pack, 320 levels - Let's Played by Colorful Arty
Lemmings Open Air, my newest release and follow-up to World Tour, 120 levels
Paralems (Old Formats), a more flavour-driven one, 150 levels
Pit Lems (Old Formats), a more puzzly one, 100 levels - Let's Played by nin10doadict
Lemmicks, a pack for (very old) NeoLemmix 1.43 full of gimmicks, 170 levels