Author Topic: D/A5: Scaling pixel art, opportunity to help  (Read 13199 times)

Offline Minim

• View Profile
Re: D/A5: Scaling pixel art, opportunity to help
« Reply #15 on: November 30, 2015, 08:11:52 AM »
No problem at all, Simon. 8-)

Right now I'm working on 1.5x, and doing this manually using Paint, it turns out to be much easier than I expected it to be. :) The Attributes, Select All and Stretch/Skew buttons are incredibly useful in achieving this task. My calculator is also helpful in getting the correct dimensions for each and every image.
Level Solving Contest creator. Anybody bored and looking for a different challenge? Try these levels!

Neolemmix: #1 #4 #5 #6
Lix: #2  #7
Both Engines: #3

Offline Minim

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 03, 2015, 08:12:00 AM »
Right then. It took a little while, but I managed to finish 1.5x.

A interesting point I thought I'd mention:
In the skillico and gameico images I retained the Lix icons original size. I had to come up with a decision to make whether I should keep the icons small or to stretch them. (Some of the stretched Lix icons looked disturbing, one of them looked like it had a black eye)
Level Solving Contest creator. Anybody bored and looking for a different challenge? Try these levels!

Offline Minim

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 09, 2015, 07:24:06 AM »
I have a busy work schedule from midweek, so I thought I'd show you how far I've gone with x3. At least I got the biggest image out of the way.

Can't wait to see my game played with high quality graphics! :thumbsup:

Offline Simon

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Lix
« Reply #18 on: December 12, 2015, 01:24:01 AM »
[02:14] <SimonN> minim has made these icons for D Lix, he needs to get a proper response
[02:15] <Clam> oh yes, I saw those :)
[02:16] <SimonN> I always feel like I'm letting people down; if I work on the D port, the old thing doesn't get updates; vice-versa, and then the same with PhD work vs. Lix work, and writing code vs. commenting/improving on this graphics stuff
[02:17] <SimonN> yeah, it's cool that people are helping out
[02:17] <SimonN> wasn't expecting it at all from him, he popped up out of nowhere and did really solid work
[02:18] <SimonN> I'd do a few pixels differently here and there, but that is normal judgement differences between people. Minim's work helps tremendously.

I'm aiming for another alpha release of the D port, with most of the singleplayer game in place, in the next weeks/months. The new icons will be in there for sure!

-- Simon

Offline Simon

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Lix
« Reply #19 on: December 30, 2015, 11:08:16 AM »
Options dialog with Minim's scaled buttons. It's cool how things fall into place one after another.

The level editor will benefit most from the upscaled graphics, but I haven't tackled that yet. Loose direction of where the ship is sailing: Finishing 90 % of singleplayer, and some more of the menus, then release a beta. Then, either editor or netplay. Then, the other of the two.

geoo will be delighted about the hotkeys displayed on okay/cancel: Every hotkeyed button in the application has its hotkey printed on itself. I try to have as few keys as possible without a corresponding button, to keep the interface discoverable.

ccx will be delighted about × ¹⁄₁₅, unicode. :lix-cool:
You have a problem and decide to use Unicode. ��� ��� ���� � �������. You have a problem and decide to use STL. Now you have a _Hashtable_iterator<std::pair<const basic_string<char, str::char_traits<char>, std::allocator<char> >, int>, basic_string<char, std::char_traits<char>, std::allocator<char> >...

-- Simon

Offline Minim

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 31, 2015, 10:14:28 PM »
Hey. Nice screenshot Simon! Have to be pleased with those arrows and ticks. :lix-wink:

I thought I'd do the rest of x3 before the year ends. I've arranged them all inside a single file.

So, this is my last upload, and I wish you all a Happy new year.

Offline RubiX

• Amiga <3 The memories
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 01, 2016, 02:36:26 AM »
Looks awsome simon