Author Topic: Holiday GigaLems 2015 - First Complete Beta  (Read 19798 times)

Offline GigaLem

• The Dog That Brought Lemmings to Avalice
    • View Profile
Holiday GigaLems 2015 - First Complete Beta
« on: January 02, 2016, 09:32:12 PM »
This Alternate solution will have to do
this is a late release i know that but maybe i should have done this sooner
anyways
the only thing missing are the i/pxxxx file witch i though i have saved for some reason the disappeared i cant find them anywhere
anyways
i almost forgot the password
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
So any hints i had are not in there yet so read this
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
What will you deal with you may ask? well....
First rank - Very Merry

"Going pass donation goals"
This is to ease you in to the pack with the near abundance of skills (Range Original Scale:Fun-Tricky, X scale: :) :) :) :) )
Second rank - Ba Hambug

"You need to have a good strato-gy"
You'll need to learn a few things from this rank because it will trip you up (Range Original Scale:Tricky-Taxing, X scale: :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) )
Third rank - Naughty

"Snowdin Town"
Allow the last rank to teach a few skills to use in this rank  (Range Original Scale:Taxing-Mayhem, X scale: :evil: :evil: :evil: :) :) :) :) :) :) :) )
Fourth rank - Sub Zero

"Three wise lemmings"
Take what you learned so far and put it in full force, it aint getting easier from here (Range Original Scale:Mayhem+ , X scale: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :devil: :) :) :) :) :) )
Last rank - Hypothermic

"Ghost of Christmas Future"
Bring everything to keep you warm because this is the hardest rank of the pack (Range Original Scale:HAVOC , X scale: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :devil: :devil: :devil: :) :) :) )

Thanks to
Namida - For the engine and tools
Plom510 - for the four remixes in the pack
TheEternalSushi for the snowdin town remix (Listen here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G9uKGSUuqK4)

Download here
http://www.mediafire.com/download/juqxu091tq6t3h3/HolidayGigaLems_v1.52.zip

Offline mobius

• relax.
    • View Profile
Re: Holiday GigaLems 2015 - First Complete Beta
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2016, 10:17:53 PM »
the artwork on these sample levels looks really good :thumbsup:
the third one especially; the houses are very nice

When I'm finished with my pack I might try these out.
everything by me: https://www.lemmingsforums.net/index.php?topic=5982.msg96035#msg96035

"Not knowing how near the truth is, we seek it far away."
-Hakuin Ekaku

"I have seen a heap of trouble in my life, and most of it has never come to pass" - Mark Twain

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2016, 12:11:09 PM »
Looks nice - I'll be trying it out at some point soon. :)

"Three Wise Lemmings" very strongly reminds me of SEGA Three, though... :P
My Lemmings projects
2D Lemmings: NeoLemmix (engine) | Lemmings Plus Series (level packs) | Doomsday Lemmings (level pack)
3D Lemmings: Loap (engine) | L3DEdit (level / graphics editor) | L3DUtils (replay / etc utility) | Lemmings Plus 3D (level pack)

Offline GigaLem

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2016, 07:46:13 PM »
Looks nice - I'll be trying it out at some point soon. :)

"Three Wise Lemmings" very strongly reminds me of SEGA Three, though... :P

Exactly where i got the inspiration from
Writers block(er) hurts sometimes

Offline Nepster

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2016, 11:26:29 PM »
I tried some of the levels today. Before the feedback on the individual levels, two general remarks:
1) You force people to download a 102MB game, consisting out of 2MB actual game and 100MB music data! Pretty pretty please split it into two parts with a big music file and a small games file. With my non-optimal internet connection, I waited about 15 minutes before the download was finished! On top of that, I have to say that the remix music is absolutely not my style...
2) Make double sure that all objects (except perhaps some water) is set to no-overwrite, e.g. the pickup skills in VM5 or the exit in BH5. People want to see the stairs they build.

So now for the individual levels:
VM1-5: Good introduction levels. There just are a few places, where the lemmings need to walk a long distance and the player has to wait and watch. I find this slightly annoying.
VM 6: Extremely long builder stairs. I will not solve this level and wait for the cheat code to continue with VM.
BH 1: Good level. The only drawback is the first miner+last builder, which have to be placed pixel-precise. I temporarily was under the impression, that the last builder cannot fill the gap and my solution therefore cannot work :evil:. Come on, this is the first level in the second rank. Is it not possible to give players a bit more leeway with the execution?
BH 2: Good short level. (Hopefully this is the clockwork level. Otherwise swap my comments for BH 2 and BH 3)
BH 3: I see only two traps, but somehow three lemmings died? IS THERE A HIDDEN TRAP???
BH 4: A nice clever level :lix-smile:. Problem is again the last builder/blocker (similarly to BH 1). Is it not possible to make the last house slightly longer to allow for more leeway when placing the miner?
BH 5: Without already knowing the correct placement for the long stair, one spends 100 tries to figure it out :devil:. Please give us either visual hints, or make the required stair much shorter.
N1: The idea is excellent :). However the completely unnecessary trouble with the correct digger placement takes away all the fun. The first three diggers have to be placed pixel-precise, with essentially no way for the player to know this beforehand. When placing the last digger, one often creates a holding pit for the lemming horde. Given the terrain-object overlay at this place, one cannot even properly plan the correct placement in advance, but has to try and try and try...

Overall impression: You have some very good level ideas, but you really have to take into account that players will NOT place skills perfectly and therefore allow for some leeway whenever possible.

Offline GigaLem

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2016, 12:59:50 AM »
My biggest issue about music files
I dont know how to make a music file that is separate from the game, there no program(none that i know of) that puts the song in a different file
oh and update, code has been added

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2016, 02:57:17 AM »
I dont know how to make a music file that is separate from the game, there no program(none that i know of) that puts the song in a different file

The same program you used to put this game together can do that (ie: the Flexi Toolkit). You put normal musics (or custom, but low-size ones - use MOD or IT files) on the built-in list, and the fancy ones in the Music Pack list. I have explained this in general, and even specifically to you, many times.

Honestly, I'm somewhat tempted to outright block OGG files from being included in the built-in musics for this exact reason... but I could see this causing problems for people who want to include a couple of musics that are only available as OGGs, and have the sense to save the built-in ones in low quality...
My Lemmings projects
2D Lemmings: NeoLemmix (engine) | Lemmings Plus Series (level packs) | Doomsday Lemmings (level pack)
3D Lemmings: Loap (engine) | L3DEdit (level / graphics editor) | L3DUtils (replay / etc utility) | Lemmings Plus 3D (level pack)

Offline GigaLem

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2016, 04:44:17 AM »
I'll have to look into this next time, or at the very least remember that i can do that

The same program you used to put this game together can do that (ie: the Flexi Toolkit). You put normal musics (or custom, but low-size ones - use MOD or IT files) on the built-in list, and the fancy ones in the Music Pack list. I have explained this in general, and even specifically to you, many times.

Honestly, I'm somewhat tempted to outright block OGG files from being included in the built-in musics for this exact reason... but I could see this causing problems for people who want to include a couple of musics that are only available as OGGs, and have the sense to save the built-in ones in low quality...
I'll have to look into this next time, or at the very least remember that its there
on another note this was my first time assigning songs to certain tilesets
(Luckily the song pack for Valetines GigaLems is going to be very small like maybe 4 or 6 songs)

Offline WYSIWYG23

• ^_^
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2016, 01:41:19 PM »
What will you deal with you may ask? well....
First rank - Very Merry

"Going pass donation goals"
This is to ease you in to the pack with the near abundance of skills (Range Original Scale:Fun-Tricky, X scale: :) :) :) :) )
Second rank - Ba Hambug

"You need to have a good strato-gy"
You'll need to learn a few things from this rank because it will trip you up (Range Original Scale:Tricky-Taxing, X scale: :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) )
Third rank - Naughty

"Snowdin Town"
Allow the last rank to teach a few skills to use in this rank  (Range Original Scale:Taxing-Mayhem, X scale: :evil: :evil: :evil: :) :) :) :) :) :) :) )
Fourth rank - Sub Zero

"Three wise lemmings"
Take what you learned so far and put it in full force, it aint getting easier from here (Range Original Scale:Mayhem+ , X scale: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :devil: :) :) :) :) :) )
Last rank - Hypothermic

"Ghost of Christmas Future"
Bring everything to keep you warm because this is the hardest rank of the pack (Range Original Scale:HAVOC , X scale: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :devil: :devil: :devil: :) :) :) )

Those. Levels. Look. HOT! :evil::evil::scared:

Gosh, I must say though my favorite one is "Snowdin Town"... I've always had a knack for onml's rock tile set with the mossy green stuff +tree branch things -- But mixed with the colorful Holidlem tile-set just makes it look awesome beyond belief! :3
Hunt the Nessie  :3

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2016, 01:53:43 PM »
Artistic levels are definitely one of GigaLem's strong points - though don't be fooled, he's made a lot of challenging levels too. In particular, one from GigaLems called "It's Not Time For Flying Toast!" stumped me for a very long time.
My Lemmings projects

Offline GigaLem

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2016, 07:05:21 AM »
If anyone wants to use these Chistmas themed tilesets
i've posted an attachment
Applying is simple
1.Extract
2.put them in the Neolemmix folder for styles
3.Copy the files and put them in the same  place as the Custom lemmix neo player
4.Enjoy

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #11 on: January 16, 2016, 08:33:35 AM »
For those who want it as an NXP: http://www.neolemmix.com/old/levelpacks/HolidayGigaLems2015.nxp

The NXP does not include the musics that came with this pack originally, as that'd blow the file size up well over 100MB. Instead, I just built in the musics that Holiday Lemmings Plus uses, and put the original musics from Holiday GigaLems into a seperate music pack file (the way it should've been done from the start): https://www.dropbox.com/s/g4ai5huztzck7h1/HolidayGigaLems2015_Music.dat
My Lemmings projects

Offline IchoTolot

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 03, 2017, 06:20:30 PM »
I think this would be very interesting to GigaLem: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C8WR9JvWbJQ

The playthrough is in German, but I am sure you can still extract good feedback information from the video. ;)

Offline Flopsy

• Global Moderator
  • Lix Nerd
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 08, 2017, 09:52:50 AM »
I think this would be very interesting to GigaLem: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C8WR9JvWbJQ

The playthrough is in German, but I am sure you can still extract good feedback information from the video. ;)

Or you could tell us what the person said in the videos :P

Nice find though :)

Offline Nessy

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 08, 2017, 03:48:10 PM »
These levels look amazing :thumbsup:! I love the use of the green bricks in "You need to have a good strato-gy" and the detail in the buildings in "Snowdin Town" (also love how you included the Grillby's building by the way ;)).