Author Topic: New tilesets and levels (gore, lab, toys)  (Read 9386 times)

Offline Ryemanni

• Indeed.
    • View Profile
New tilesets and levels (gore, lab, toys)
« on: December 21, 2015, 08:56:25 PM »
Hello everybody! I recently got into Lemmings and Lix again so I wanted to create some custom graphics! I'm planning to do more and expand these in the future, but for now I'm going to share these three. Every tileset includes two levels made by me to challenge you all and show the potential of the tiles. Please tell me what you think! :thumbsup:

Download here:
http://www.mediafire.com/download/6oab75d2b97774d/3+New+Lix+Tilesets.zip

Gore

Lab

Toys

All of the levels are possible, but I'm not sharing any solutions yet. :D
« Last Edit: May 15, 2017, 01:57:48 AM by Simon »

Offline Simon

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Lix
Re: New tilesets and levels
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2015, 09:42:00 PM »
I'm stunned. You've got some amazing talent!

You've cared for detail and variety in each set. Love these horns, or single teeth, sticking boldly out of the ground in the gore set. I'll give the levels a shot.

-- Simon

Offline NaOH

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2015, 09:43:52 PM »
Woah, the gore set is really striking. The bile green/magenta-red colour scheme really stands out. I love how the bits of tissue hang and wrap around the bones. The cute little exit sign poked into the gaping mouth is a cute touch too (I would have pegged that as a trap for sure otherwise, but as an exit it's great too. Does it gobble the lix up?).

The bones do seem rigidly flat compared to the rest of the terrain. I wonder if they could be bent or warped or torn somehow. But they stand out nicely and the shading makes them sit well stuck in the cavernous interior of this poor creature's gut.

The sinister feel of the sets is spot-on. Especially the juxtaposition between the mood of the first and last tileset. That's amazing.

Offline Ryemanni

• Indeed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2015, 10:01:07 PM »
Thanks for the feedback! :D
The maw was originally going to be a trap only, but it also works as an exit after all, and the trap version munches the Lix into bloody mash. The bones are indeed a bit cartoonish or simplistic compared to everything else. I think I should really add some cracks and curves to them. ;)

I also forgot to add animated scenery to the Toy set. I'll handle that too later.

Offline mobius

• relax.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2015, 10:34:49 PM »
:o wow, that is really impressive :thumbsup: :party: I like all of them.

The gore set reminds me of that game Eversion [ooh a whole graphic set or level idea could be made around that game]

The toy set reminds me of a Walter Wick photograph [an I-Spy picture.]

Since you've made a decent acid/sinister green liquid, I'm okay with using that to replace my very quickly made/not up to par acid.
everything by me: https://www.lemmingsforums.net/index.php?topic=5982.msg96035#msg96035

"Not knowing how near the truth is, we seek it far away."
-Hakuin Ekaku

"I have seen a heap of trouble in my life, and most of it has never come to pass" - Mark Twain

Offline GigaLem

• The Dog That Brought Lemmings to Avalice
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2015, 11:23:12 PM »
Well this is a delightful surprise
These look really good, i'll have to try 'em some time
Great work :thumbsup:

Offline Ryemanni

• Indeed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2015, 09:05:41 AM »
Thank you again! :D
Since you've made a decent acid/sinister green liquid, I'm okay with using that to replace my very quickly made/not up to par acid.
I'm glad that you like it! I wasn't sure myself if it looked good or not.

Offline IchoTolot

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2015, 11:21:16 AM »
As I said to Simon many times before: THIS IS EXACTLY WHAT LIX NEEDS THE MOST RIGHT NOW!! :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:
It got killer features like Multiplayer and spot on controls (at least with the d-port which will fix my mouse problem ;)), but it lacks a bunch of high quality pixel art tilesets (well and some music, but as it seems Ruibix is on it ;)) on the level as those from the original games.
Especially the lab and toy tileset look very fitting and polished to me :)   
Maybe the hatch in the gore tilest looks a bit not like a hatch and more than a tile in the first moment
But definitely Great work! :thumbsup:

Offline Ryemanni

• Indeed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2015, 11:35:46 AM »
As I said to Simon many times before: THIS IS EXACTLY WHAT LIX NEEDS THE MOST RIGHT NOW!! :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:
It got killer features like Multiplayer and spot on controls (at least with the d-port which will fix my mouse problem ;)), but it lacks a bunch of high quality pixel art tilesets (well and some music, but as it seems Ruibix is on it ;)) on the level as those from the original games.
Especially the lab and toy tileset look very fitting and polished to me :)   
Maybe the hatch in the gore tilest looks a bit not like a hatch and more than a tile in the first moment
But definitely Great work! :thumbsup:
Aw, thanks! I'm honored! ^^

Offline RubiX

• Amiga <3 The memories
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 22, 2015, 04:08:41 PM »
Great work!  Always nice to see new tilesets for Lix as its the best lemmings style game ever in my honest opinion.
My favorite of the three is the toy set actually, see some pieces of mechano in there.  Looks perfect.

For those who never heard it, here is the first song for Lix I created a few months ago.    Its all done from my digital piano.   If the future of the game does include music in the D port, then i'm definitely up for creating more tunes.
This was my first full attempt at writing a game tune, so im no professional remember.  It just worked out quite well I think.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=maehL8t9zKI
(I put the music onto a forest level just so you can get a feel of how it would feel while playing)

Offline Ryemanni

• Indeed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 22, 2015, 04:35:24 PM »
Great work!  Always nice to see new tilesets for Lix as its the best lemmings style game ever in my honest opinion.
Thanks, I agree. :)

I also love the music. I think it fits really well.

Offline Simon

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Lix
« Reply #11 on: December 29, 2015, 02:42:55 PM »
3/6 levels solved so far. Solutions are attached. Again, excellent tilesets, it's a joy to play.

A B C D looks as if it's intended. Drop Dead is probably intended, too, even if a little fiddly. Life Support System looks like a backroute.

Your traps are so innovative, I'd love to allow you to make a second animation for traps while they're idle. This way, the monkey and the acid trap are more obviously traps, even without knowing the tileset. The idling animation need not be elaborate. A slightly flashing light on the acid trap would be enough already. But this idea needs its own thread, because it would extend the graphical format accepted by the game.

I'm in the middle of rewriting the entire game, and I'm a little reluctant to continue on the old codebase. Such a new feature would go into the rewrite instead. Therefore, this idea is not urgent.

-- Simon