Author Topic: READ FIRST: NeoLemmix Bugs & Suggestions Subforum Rules  (Read 15686 times)

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
READ FIRST: NeoLemmix Bugs & Suggestions Subforum Rules
« on: December 21, 2015, 02:47:05 PM »
In order to keep this subforum useful and tidy, please observe the following rules:

1. Prefix your topic title appropriately. First should be either [BUG] for a bug report, [SUG] for a suggestion, or [DISC] for a discussion. Following this should be either [PLAYER] if it relates to NeoLemmix itself, [EDITOR] if it relates to the editor, or [STYLES] if it relates to styles. If multiple tags from each set are applicable, use the one that you think is most applicable. If unsure, just use your best guess, it isn't the end of the world if you get it wrong.

2. Topic titles should be reasonably specific. For example, if the editor had a bug where it crashed when you try to load any level with 500 or more lemmings, "Bug in the editor" is not a good title. "Editor crashes when loading certain levels" is better. "Editor crashes when loading levels with 500+ lemmings" is better again.

3. Give as much information as you can. Screenshots are often helpful. If you've done any testing and know that there are certain things that trigger a bug, or certain situations where it doesn't happen, include that information.

4. Do not add polls to your topics. It is solely for myself / other devs to decide if and when polls should be used for bugs and suggestions.

5. Suggestions of any kind for the game are no longer being accepted. Nor are reports of bugs unless either they were introduced in the newest major version (currently 12.12.X), or they cause NeoLemmix to crash and/or can cause data loss. Bug reports or suggestions for the editor are still welcome. Note that this rule is not applied retroactively, so bug reports / suggestions may be open if they pre-date the cutoff but have not yet been addressed.

6. Suggestions / bug reports for styles should be for official styles only. IE: Styles that come from an official Lemmings game on DOS, as well as "default", "examples", "orig_sega" (the Sega tileset from the Master System version), and "special". In particular note that this does not include the Genesis styles, or any Master System styles other than the Sega one. If you are having issues with one particular unofficial tileset, even if it is causing a player / editor bug, please try to check if it may be an issue with that style first (for example, that the style creator has deleted / renamed pieces without creating the appropriate alias.nxmi entry).

7. Don't be a smartass. Or to put this a different way - if you need to use words like "technically" or really complicated logic in order to justify how your post is a bug rather than a suggestion, or how it doesn't fall foul of the cutoff dates for certain kinds of reports, then your suggestion / report should not be posted.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2023, 10:39:46 PM by namida »
My Lemmings projects
2D Lemmings: NeoLemmix (engine) | Lemmings Plus Series (level packs) | Doomsday Lemmings (level pack)
3D Lemmings: Loap (engine) | L3DEdit (level / graphics editor) | L3DUtils (replay / etc utility) | Lemmings Plus 3D (level pack)

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
Re: READ FIRST: NeoLemmix Bugs & Suggestions Subforum Rules
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2016, 06:34:01 PM »
I have changed these rules to allow suggestions on this sub-forum. Please post all future suggestions here, rather than on the main board or via PM, if possible.
My Lemmings projects
2D Lemmings: NeoLemmix (engine) | Lemmings Plus Series (level packs) | Doomsday Lemmings (level pack)
3D Lemmings: Loap (engine) | L3DEdit (level / graphics editor) | L3DUtils (replay / etc utility) | Lemmings Plus 3D (level pack)

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2016, 04:50:48 AM »
I've dropped the whole "make a blank post, then reply with your comments" thing, as there's really no reason I can't just edit the original post and place the notes at the start of it, so all it really does is create inconvenience. (However, if you prefer to make the blank post, you're still welcome to.)
My Lemmings projects

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2016, 02:17:58 AM »
I've amended rule 7 to request that people always mention the version number of the game / tool that they encounter bugs on, rather than "only if it's an experimental". This is important as from time to time, NeoLemmix or associated tools might get several updates rapidly, and so it can't be assumed that everyone reporting issues has the latest version (and even if they do, it's possible that I might have to leave the bug for now and come back to it later, at which point the version it occurred on won't be the latest anymore).
My Lemmings projects

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2019, 08:16:47 PM »
Modified the above to reference that I've created sub-boards for the Player and Editor respectively, and that topics should still be created on the main board.

Also, I'd like to remind people to include the relevant tags - whether a topic is a bug, suggestion, etc; and whether it relates to the player, editor, etc - at the start of their topic titles.
My Lemmings projects

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2020, 06:44:09 AM »
Added a rule: Please do not create polls in any report / suggestion topics; leave it to me to do that.
My Lemmings projects

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2021, 07:00:24 PM »
Added a rule clarifying that there is generally no need to follow up with Discord messages / PMs / etc to let me know you've made a suggestion or bug report - several people seem to have gotten into the habit of doing this lately. Again to be clear, it is not just one person that has been doing this. At best, it will generally mean that the topic you've created gets moved to the Engine or Editor sub-board a bit quicker, which is hardly urgent.

(On the other hand, if you're contacting me to ask for more info before you go and create the topic, that's fine.)
My Lemmings projects

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2021, 07:34:07 PM »
Rewrote the rules altogether, to keep it a bit simpler. There isn't really any change to what the rules are per se; just simplified how I explain them.
My Lemmings projects