Lemmings Boards > Reviews

CustLemm Level List Game

(1/410) > >>

Shvegait:
I wasn't sure whether or not to put this in the Level Designing forum or not, but the other Level List Game topics are here, so I think this makes more sense for consistency. Even though this isn't a level list game in the same sense, I'm just calling the thread this again for consistency.

This time, instead of reviewing levels from official games, we'll instead review user-created Lemmings levels. This topic will be limited to CustLemm/LemEdit levels. If someone else wants to start a Cheapo one, go ahead.

Since Timballisto suggested the idea and wanted his packs reviewed, we'll start with his first pack. (When I downloaded it, the levels weren't even in a pack, just individual levels. Timballisto, you might want to put them into a .dat pack for everyone's sanity. Btw, I'm calling your pack Timb01 instead of pack1...)

To get the screenshots, I just got different views of the level in DOSBox, took several screenshots, then put them together. It's not too difficult to do, but I've gotten pretty fast at it and wouldn't mind making screenshots for different people's levels on request.

Without further ado...

Timb01 - Level 1 - The Iron Puzzle

10 climb, 10 float, 5 bomb, 4 block, 3 build, 10 bash, 10 dig

80 Lemmings
87% to save
RR 1
Time: ? minutes (>10)

Good: It stays true to its name.
Bad: More than 10 minutes? You could finish it in just 1! Also, the hidden traps turn out not being hard to avoid at all.

A note: I'll be putting up all the screenshots for this topic on this server space that I have access to. The other screenshots for this pack can be found at this address:
http://www.jx3.net/tdg/shve/levelpics/
File name for the picture is Pack ID (in all lowercase, case sensitivity matters) + hyphen + level number.png

So timb01-2.png is the next one.

Timballisto:
cool! &#A0;Oh, and after looking through all the pics I realized

"...Man...those levels were horrible!" &#A0;well, in difficulty atleast.

So, pick on em all you want- they needed help. &#A0;I'm glad to say I think I've gotten better at making levels :P.

I'd also like to note that my levels aren't supposed to be more difficult as they go through the pack.  I don't know how to put levels in order.  What's the order of levels played?  Is it 1,5,2,3,4,0?  Actually, when does the 0 level get played?

Isu:
The levels in custlemm should play in the order you saved them in the pack. (0,1,2,3,etc...)
That particular order is familiar to the order of the levels in level009.dat (The datafile containing the first Fun levels). Here is a complete list to the order of the levels in "level009.dat".

Level in pack -> Level in game

#0 -> Level 30 Mayhem
#1 -> Level 1 Fun
#2 -> Level 4 Fun
#3 -> Level 5 Fun
#4 -> Level 6 Fun
#5 -> Level 2 Fun
#6 -> Level 3 Fun
#7 -> Level 7 Fun

#8 -> Not Used
#9 -> Not Used

In other words, the order is 1, 5, 6, 2, 3, 4, 7.
The most annoying thing is that this system is not consistent in all the packs. Lemmings loads each level pack differently (See "Mike, I want to ask you" topic). When I find the orders of other packs I'll let you know.

Levels #8 and #9 are not used in any of the level00X.dat files.

Oh, and Shvegait, there is already a cheapo level list game.

Shvegait:

--- Quote ---Oh, and Shvegait, there is already a cheapo level list game.
--- End quote ---

While this is true, only the "Crazy" set was reviewed, because they were the levels that came bundled with Cheapo. But yes, perhaps it should just be adapted to review other levels as well. Not sure what I was thinking :P

Timballisto, your levels were in a zip file with level names "Jeff1", "Jeff2", etc. I just put those in order in the set, and that's how they are numbered here. If that's unsatisfactory feel free to change it, it's your set after all. Not all levels have to necessarily be in order of increasing difficulty, though.

Conway:
This looks like a fun game! Are we reviewing all the levelpacks, one after the other, from each designer, or just one at a time? Like, we could do all Timbalisto's packs, then all of the next member, or we could just do his first pack, then somebody else's pack, and so on. Anyway . . .

Timb01 Level 2 - Lemmings on the Roof
 Save: 75/80
 Time: 8 minutes
 RR: 1
 Skills:
   Climbers: 1
   Floaters: 1
   Bombers: 2
   Blockers: 3
   Builders: 8
   Bashers: 1

Good: Much more of a puzzle that the previous level, and a nice built up layout.
 Bad: The actual solution is more boring than the apparent route!

Also, we could each extract images of our own levelpacks and send them to Shvegait if we want them reviewed. I'll have to find time to do mine later on . . .

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version