Author Topic: Cheapo Level List Game  (Read 69655 times)

Offline geoo

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Cheapo Level List Game
« Reply #345 on: May 21, 2006, 06:54:08 PM »
Quote from: Nuntar link=1102948574/330#341 date=1148205042
Quote from: geoo89 link=1102948574/330#340 date=1148163079
it's not immediately visible that you have to build into the exit to get the lemmings in.
:-/  OK, next time I need to get a message across I'll write it in 48-point text so you can't possibly miss it. That was a bug, and I uploaded a fixed version several days ago.  :)

I know of three solutions to the level -- I'll have to go back and check them now to see if any of them can be done with a builder to spare or whether you've found a backroute.[...]
Oh, sorry for that. I thought I had the newest version of it (there are so many versions I have... ;)), but seemingly I hadn't. Perhaps you should indeed write it in 48-pt for me, at least I cannot remember having read it yesterday...I seemingly wasn't attentive anymore that evening. :-?
I think I should cross out the wrong things in my review now...

EDIT: Hmm, there doesn't seem to remain much for bad then...it was already difficult to find those few points.

As for my solution, I sent it to you quite some time ago.

Offline Proxima

• View Profile
« Reply #346 on: May 21, 2006, 09:51:06 PM »
Quote from: geoo89 link=1102948574/345#345 date=1148237648
Perhaps you should indeed write it in 48-pt for me, at least I cannot remember having read it yesterday...I seemingly wasn't attentive anymore that evening. :-?
Heh. Don't worry about it.

And now that I look, you did indeed send me your solution ages ago -- it just didn't register at the time that you mentioned having to build into the exit. I'm not sure whether to count it a backroute or not -- you do have a builder to spare (on the revised version) but you need all the miners; whereas I think a couple of the other solutions finish with a miner spare instead. Maybe I'll look at this one again when I'm through writing my essay  ;)

Ice_Eagle

« Reply #347 on: May 23, 2006, 10:44:42 PM »
Quote from: Nuntar link=1102948574/330#339 date=1148082135
Btw, for the preview I've just used random musics making sure I didn't use the same one twice, so that I could try some of the new ones out. Levels won't necessarily have the same musics in the finished sets (and so you probably shouldn't use it as a point in future reviews).

Okay...I changed the review. But seriously, that use of that Lemmings Paintball music is cool!

Ice_Eagle

« Reply #348 on: May 25, 2006, 02:17:08 AM »
People need to get back on this topic. Who's doing level 12?

Offline geoo

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #349 on: May 25, 2006, 02:12:28 PM »
Not just this topic...
It's not the first forum I have to experience this.
Anyway, I might do level 12 if I hadn't done level 11. Perhaps I should do it sometime though...

Offline Proxima

• View Profile
« Reply #350 on: May 25, 2006, 07:14:03 PM »
We could just pretend levels 12 and 13 are the other way round  ;)  .... I imagine then we'll run into the same problem with level 14, but meh.

Ice_Eagle

« Reply #351 on: May 25, 2006, 11:08:23 PM »
Well, since you don't mind taking the levels out of order I'll do Level 13.

Repton 3: Toccata
Release Rate: Can't remember. 1?
Save 59/60
Time: 3:00 (I can't remember the exact time limit. It's been a while since I solved this level)
Skills: 1 climber, blocker, basher, miner, digger, 6 builders

Good: Easier than the Prelude, and not as confusing.
Bad: It's annoying timing those builders and other skills but other than that this level isn't bad.

Offline geoo

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #352 on: May 26, 2006, 08:51:46 PM »
Michael Preview 2 - Level 12: Up on the Roof
Release Rate: 99
Save 2/2
Time: 3:30
Skills: 1 climber, 10 builders, 3 miners, 3 diggers

Good: Level looks not too difficult at the first glance, however you need to work out a way not to get out of builders; uses not so many lemmings.
Bad: IIRC, there were some problems with where and when exactly to set up some certain builders causing the need to restart the level; I don't like the design so much, but that's just my taste.

Ice_Eagle

« Reply #353 on: May 27, 2006, 01:20:33 AM »
Level 15: Did you ever see a lemming?
Release Rate 75
Save 30 out of 30 (I think)
Time: 1 minute
Skills: 2 bashers, miners, diggers

Good: Makes you think about how to turn the lemmings around without builders and blockers
Bad: It's frustrating timing those skills

Offline Proxima

• View Profile
« Reply #354 on: May 27, 2006, 11:06:52 AM »
Which means we now need someone to do Level 14. That's "Ordeal by Fire", isn't it? ...... I guess if no-one wants to do a full review, all I really need on that one is someone to say whether it's so mindlessly boring that I ought to scrap it completely, or what I should do with it.

Offline geoo

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #355 on: May 28, 2006, 08:37:41 AM »
Well, I can't review it because I didn't solve it, and since I didn't solve it I cannot say whether it's incredibly boring.

It's just that I don't like builder levels, and since I obvoiusly looks like it requires loads of building, I'm not gonna try it.

But would you be happy with a sketch for the solution? I could try to find a solution using sketches and send it to you, and then write a provisional review.

Offline Proxima

• View Profile
« Reply #356 on: May 28, 2006, 09:40:26 AM »
Quote from: geoo89 link=1102948574/345#355 date=1148805461
But would you be happy with a sketch for the solution? I could try to find a solution using sketches and send it to you, and then write a provisional review.
Yeah, that would be fine.

I might see if I can cut down the amount of building sometime..... what do you think would be the maximum number of builders on a level you'd be interested in playing?

Offline geoo

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #357 on: May 28, 2006, 10:05:18 AM »
Quote from: Nuntar link=1102948574/345#356 date=1148809226
Yeah, that would be fine.

I might see if I can cut down the amount of building sometime..... what do you think would be the maximum number of builders on a level you'd be interested in playing?
Umm, that's certainly a difficult question. After having done a sketch, perhaps even 40, but it really depends on the level. I could say the minimum a level requires for the idea still working. The longer the distances to build, the less exact placement should be required, because the measuring with the eye gets less exact; and it shouldn't (or IMO mustn't) be required to try the solution you worked out a couple of times to either solve the level or even worse, notice that it doesn't work. A good example is Insane Steve's "Stairway to Somewhere", it requires quite a lot of building, but after you worked out a solution you can pull it off with just one try because there's no exact placement required.
But the exactlyness of the required solution is something I don't know about yet, therefore I cannot judge that right now; after evaluating the sketch I might be able to do so.

And another thing: I don't want you just to change a level because I don't like the building or something about it. I'm not the only one playing your levels. ;)

Ice_Eagle

« Reply #358 on: June 04, 2006, 06:46:51 AM »
Style suggestion for Nuntar:

For styles that have the number 2 next to them (like MichaelBlue2.sty, MichaelXtnd2.sty, etc.), musics 33-40 should replace musics
2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 12, 14, 15, and the rest of those musics that you got from Dragonslover.