Author Topic: bsmith's level pack  (Read 17713 times)

Offline bsmith

• View Profile
bsmith's level pack
« on: September 14, 2015, 01:27:35 AM »
My first level pack!  Well, at least a pack I am comfortable showing you guys ;)  Before I go submitting this to the database I want some feedback.  My entry from official contest #6 (Safe Descent) is in here too.

So far I have 18 levels in this pack, all inspired by various levels in Lemmings.  The pack is divided into three ranks, 'Zero', 'One', and 'Two'.  The names indicate how many of the eight new skills appear in a level within that rank.

I plan to add a fourth rank using the zombie gimmick.  Those levels are still under construction.  These are going in my second pack.

Edit Simon: Topic name "my level pack" -> "bsmith's level pack"
« Last Edit: September 30, 2020, 05:59:24 AM by Simon »

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
Re: My level pack
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2015, 02:02:12 AM »
It should be noted that there isn't currently a proper database for NeoLemmix content. The NeoLemmix website does host a lot, but that's all updated manually by me. Mindless's database only supports Lemmini and Lemmix / DOS L1.

Anyway, your contest level showed a lot of potential, so I'm quite keen to play this. Depending on if I have anything else to play after Revenge of the Lemmings I might play this next; otherwise I'll do a proper video playthrough when you've finished making it. :)
My Lemmings projects
2D Lemmings: NeoLemmix (engine) | Lemmings Plus Series (level packs) | Doomsday Lemmings (level pack)
3D Lemmings: Loap (engine) | L3DEdit (level / graphics editor) | L3DUtils (replay / etc utility) | Lemmings Plus 3D (level pack)

Offline mobius

• relax.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2015, 02:02:44 AM »
these are quite challenging. So far simplistic designed (something I like) but hard!
everything by me: https://www.lemmingsforums.net/index.php?topic=5982.msg96035#msg96035

"Not knowing how near the truth is, we seek it far away."
-Hakuin Ekaku

"I have seen a heap of trouble in my life, and most of it has never come to pass" - Mark Twain

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2015, 02:21:22 AM »
Sounds like my kind of levels!
My Lemmings projects
2D Lemmings: NeoLemmix (engine) | Lemmings Plus Series (level packs) | Doomsday Lemmings (level pack)
3D Lemmings: Loap (engine) | L3DEdit (level / graphics editor) | L3DUtils (replay / etc utility) | Lemmings Plus 3D (level pack)

Offline IchoTolot

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2015, 12:09:41 PM »
Great! :thumbsup:   
I will play through them for sure, but right now I have some other things to be taken care of first.
But after that you will get some replay feedback from me! ;)

Offline IchoTolot

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2015, 01:45:12 PM »
Well...... I wanted to just take a little look at the levels which ended in a solving frenzy :P

Sent you replays to all 18 levels ;)

Offline bsmith

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2015, 04:47:36 PM »
Thanks for the replays, IchoTolot.  About half of them are pretty much the intended solution.  The other half are a mix of alternate solutions and backroutes.  I'll probably have an updated pack later this week.

Offline bsmith

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2015, 05:33:29 PM »
I finally have an update!  New player in first post.

Ranks are now named Vanilla, Chocolate, and Neapolitan.  Many level changes, mostly to address backroutes.
Cheat code is the default CHEATCODES.

Vanilla level changes:
'Without a Ladder Nearby' - Bottom chain link terrain filled in.
'Atop a Tall Brick' - Rebuilt level, mainly wider brick in the center.
'Hit the Pavement Running' - RR from 99 to 95.

Chocolate level changes:
'Lateral Movement' - Taller terrain at the exit.
'Safe Descent' - Removed trap.
'Not So Simple' - Widened level.
'Sour Flavor' - Added steel block near entrance.
'Send Me a Postcard' - Reworked terrain left of the entrance.

Neapolitan level changes:
'Arctic Ascention' - Now first level in the rank.
'Take the Hard Way Down' - Reworked the left side.
'Off the Shelf Lemmings' - Widened pit at the bottom.

I probably will not add my zombie levels to this pack.  At the rate I am going I am likely to put those in a separate pack after namida releases the ghost lemmings update.

I have some ideas for talismans:
'Hit the Pavement Running' - Do not use miners
'Hit the Pavement Running' - Do not use floaters
'Top and Bottom' - Do not use climbers

Offline mobius

• relax.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2015, 12:00:31 AM »
I haven't gotten very far yet but here's some comments: and a few replays in case your interested.

The first rating is hard enough for me already :P
I really liked Atop a tall brick.  Without A Ladder Nearby had a cool trick (if that was intended).
everything by me: https://www.lemmingsforums.net/index.php?topic=5982.msg96035#msg96035

"Not knowing how near the truth is, we seek it far away."
-Hakuin Ekaku

"I have seen a heap of trouble in my life, and most of it has never come to pass" - Mark Twain

Offline bsmith

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2015, 01:31:23 AM »
Thanks for the replays.  Your solution to Without A Ladder Nearby is close to what I had in mind.  I used 1 basher, 1 miner, and 1 digger in the beginning to contain the horde.  Your solution to Compressed Sand is pretty much what I expected.

The ratings are sorted by the amount of new NeoLemmix skills are in each rank.  Levels in Vanilla use just the classic eight skills.  A Chocolate level will have one new skill along with the classic skills.  Neapolitan has at least two of the new skills in each level.

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #10 on: September 28, 2015, 02:40:25 AM »
I started playing this; I've completed all of Vanilla so far. Some very nice puzzles there! :)

I'm making videos as I play; keep an eye on my Youtube channel (I'll post the link here when it's uploaded the first one).

On a side note - I moved this topic to the "Other Projects" board, as that's generally where most level pack topics are these days.

EDIT: Here's the link: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLVWvcY0oGEFwL-pANz8O5FW03Z3AX-qmU
« Last Edit: September 28, 2015, 03:10:59 AM by namida »
My Lemmings projects

Offline Proxima

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 28, 2015, 02:23:39 PM »
Nice levels. I can't help observing that "Atop a Tall Brick" is almost exactly the same puzzle as my "Rumble to the Bottom" in the Lix community set ;) (not all that astounding a coincidence, as both are based on the same Original level....)

Offline bsmith

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 29, 2015, 04:07:56 AM »
namida, I watched your video for the Vanilla rank this morning.  Thanks a lot, it was really interesting to watch someone play through my levels.  Some thoughts I had while watching:
You found a different solution to Ups and Downs.  I enjoyed seeing you work out different methods of dealing with the obstacles across the level.
You backrouted 'Without a Ladder Nearby'.  I need to deepen the fire pit now!
Very interesting solution containing the crowd at the left end of the main sand block.
Again, a different solution than I expected for 'Atop a Tall Brick'.
The ease of losing a few lemmings is exactly why I made the save requirement 90% in 'Over the Top'.
No floaters solution to 'Hit the Pavement Running' - something I was already thinking of adding as a talisman.

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #13 on: September 29, 2015, 04:48:24 AM »
Glad to hear you enjoyed it. I'll probably do the next rating sometime later today. :)

(EDIT: Done!)

I'm also saving replay files as I play, so let me know if you'd like these right away. Otherwise, I'll send them when I've finished the pack.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2015, 10:08:31 AM by namida »
My Lemmings projects

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #14 on: January 16, 2016, 08:00:19 AM »
I finally got around to playing the last rank (geez, took me long enough). Very nice pack!

Also - since bsmith hasn't been posting in a while, I went ahead and converted this pack to an NXP file: http://www.neolemmix.com/old/levelpacks/B%20Smith%20Level%20Pack%20One.nxp
bsmith, if you're reading this: No changes to any of the pack's content is nessecary to build it as an NXP; just get the latest version of Flexi Toolkit and rebuild.
My Lemmings projects