Poll

Good idea?

Yes, that sounds great!
5 (100%)
I don't have any objections to the idea, but I probably wouldn't use it.
0 (0%)
No, I don't think that should be a feature.
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 5

Author Topic: 2.00 Online content database  (Read 3474 times)

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
2.00 Online content database
« on: August 15, 2015, 12:23:40 PM »
Final decision: This idea seems to be universally liked among those that voted. But it's also quite a lot of work to implement. So most likely, such a feature will not be in the first release, but all coding will be done with keeping in mind to allow for this to be easily added in a future update.

So another idea that's crossed my mind - and please be aware, I'm not 100% sure if I will be able to do this, it's just an idea really that I might look into if there's enough interest.

Should V2.00n (or more likely, V2.something-n; I doubt it'll be in the first release) be capable of directly accessing an online database of NeoLemmix content? This could simplify the update process; with almost everything being able to update just by clicking a "check for updates" type button - not only NeoLemmix and the "official" content, but also any fanmade packs. On top of this, it could alleviate the need for any manual setup of packs - just find it in the database, and click "Download" and it's done. Likewise, custom content could also be uploaded directly from NeoLemmix itself (or more likely, from the editor). Other potential uses is that, if (for example) it detected that you were missing the required graphic set for a level, it could try and find it through the content database.

Aside from the question of whether or not I'd actually be capable of implementing such a thing, I don't really see much in the way of drawbacks. However, I'm well aware that some people prefer a system of "keep everything offline / manual". Of course it would be possible to simply not use any online features (and of course it would be possible to download the content through traditional means rather than through NeoLemmix; and for that matter, to distribute it without doing so through NeoLemmix's online features); but some people may be touchy about the fact that such features even exist.

What's everyone's thoughts on this idea? Before any discussion of how it should be implemented, let's first see what the opinions are of the idea overall.

(And no, "multiplayer" is not something I am considering supporting among the online features. Sorry about that.)
« Last Edit: September 09, 2015, 08:25:41 PM by namida »
My Lemmings projects
2D Lemmings: NeoLemmix (engine) | Lemmings Plus Series (level packs) | Doomsday Lemmings (level pack)
3D Lemmings: Loap (engine) | L3DEdit (level / graphics editor) | L3DUtils (replay / etc utility) | Lemmings Plus 3D (level pack)

Offline 607

• View Profile
Re: 2.00 Online content database
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2015, 07:50:29 PM »
Oh wow. That would be a big change, and it would probably make the experience feel much different for me. A big change is not necessarily bad, though. I think this would be quite great, actually.
I'll think more about it, and post more if I think of anything not mentioned in your post.

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
Re: 2.00 Online content database
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2015, 04:43:52 AM »
Seems there's little feedback on this issue, but what feedback there is is all positive. So most likely, for now, I'll design it in such a way that this capability can easily be added later, but won't actually implement anything yet.
My Lemmings projects
2D Lemmings: NeoLemmix (engine) | Lemmings Plus Series (level packs) | Doomsday Lemmings (level pack)
3D Lemmings: Loap (engine) | L3DEdit (level / graphics editor) | L3DUtils (replay / etc utility) | Lemmings Plus 3D (level pack)