Author Topic: TameLix  (Read 7335 times)

Offline Clam

• Smiley: :8():
    • View Profile
TameLix
« on: February 08, 2014, 03:00:18 AM »
    TameLix (formerly CSTame Reloaded) – Clam's Lix remake of the Tame rating From Oh No! More Lemmings!

Hard 1: Oh No! What's This?

Inspired by Lemmings Reloaded and the old Tame challenges, I've rebuilt all 20 Tame levels in the Lix terrain.

Features:
    • Two versions of each level:
      • Easy: 10 of each skill (except imploder) and unlimited time.
      • Hard: Challenges that also work in the original ONML.
    • 14 different tilesets used.
    • Expanded to fit the larger screen height in Lix.
    • Reduced walking times on the longer levels :lix-smile:

Feedback, records and backroutes welcome (the latter not so much! :lix-tongue:)[/list]
    « Last Edit: August 18, 2015, 08:33:11 AM by Clam »

Offline Proxima

• View Profile
    Re: CSTame Reloaded
    « Reply #1 on: February 08, 2014, 06:58:34 PM »
    As usual, I'll post maximum saved records when I've completed all the levels. For now, here are two other records for everyone to try to match or beat. (I have replays for both, but I'll keep them to myself for now.)

* CSTame 13 in 0:58
    * CSTame 20 with 9 skills

Offline RubiX

• Amiga <3 The memories
      • View Profile
    « Reply #2 on: February 08, 2014, 08:42:22 PM »
    38/50 on Tame1 
    Still should be beatable, as this was just a few tries with release rate tests.

Offline RubiX

• Amiga <3 The memories
      • View Profile
    « Reply #3 on: February 08, 2014, 10:48:24 PM »
    Apparantly Proxima has perfected it and done 48 on Tame1
    What a nooooooooooooooooob

I mean, NICE!

Offline Proxima

• View Profile
    « Reply #4 on: February 08, 2014, 11:44:45 PM »
    Solved every level  8)  though I still need to go back and improve my # saved on 11 and 15.

Well, those were great fun. A mixture, and rather disconcerting that playing order was nowhere close to difficulty order, but one gets used to it. But there was some very nice variety of level types, including puzzles, execution challenges and speed runs, and many levels have excellent replay value, whether to solve for # saved or some other challenge. No, there wasn't really a bad level in the whole bunch  :thumbsup:

Offline Clam

• View Profile
    « Reply #5 on: February 10, 2014, 02:22:01 AM »
    Thanks to my loyal playtesters! :thumbsup: I'm especially impressed with those scores on 1 (48) and 11 (49) - I figured those were the upper bounds, but didn't expect them to be achieved so soon.

Difficulty curve isn't gonna be nice I'm afraid - it's restricted by what the original levels offered. The original Tame levels didn't leave much of a difficulty curve either though - 17 was the easiest of the lot! :P

Two levels I'm not entirely happy with are 5 (too easy) and 18 (alt route too easy) - I'll have a bit of a rethink on those.

Offline RubiX

• Amiga <3 The memories
      • View Profile
    « Reply #6 on: February 10, 2014, 06:13:00 AM »
    Yea #5 surely needs a complete change.   It's pretty pointless.

Edit: Just had a go at making a puzzle for that map
    (yea its actually pretty tricky to make anything hard for this map, but this is what I have come up with)

- I have saved 44 after a few tries.

Mod Edit: Restored attachments.
    « Last Edit: December 28, 2014, 08:39:55 PM by Prob Lem »

Offline Clam

• View Profile
    « Reply #7 on: February 10, 2014, 09:55:20 PM »
    Nice idea, but I think it's too similar to #1 and #11. I've found another setup (see below) that allows for a few different solutions. It's a similar idea actually, but you can do it without having to time the crowd in the same way.

---

Updated topic post with Version 2

Changes:
    • 5: Changed to 50/50 required, skills 2-0-0-2-4-0-0-5
    • 8: Moved the orange platform across slightly to widen the builder gap (in line with the original map)
    • 18: Changed a few areas to be more like the original. The alternate route for 100% is still possible but somewhat harder.

Offline RubiX

• Amiga <3 The memories
      • View Profile
    « Reply #8 on: February 12, 2014, 07:16:39 AM »
    Just downloaded
    5 was hard!  some major preciseness needed
    nice puzzle.

Offline Clam

• View Profile
    « Reply #9 on: June 08, 2014, 06:23:17 AM »
    Updated for the new beach objects (in other words: put the goals back in the ground). Attached to topic post.

Offline Clam

• View Profile
    Re: TameLix
    « Reply #10 on: August 09, 2015, 05:20:51 AM »
    While working on ClamLix for the instant-bombers update, I've also added to this project.

I've renamed the pack to TameLix. (Mainly because I don't go by "CS" any more, and "CTame" doesn't have the same ring to it.)

There are now two versions of each level:
    • Easy: 14x10 skills and unlimited time, same as the flower levels. And new titles :lix-laugh:
    • Hard: As before, challenges that also work in the original ONML.

Download in topic post.
    « Last Edit: August 09, 2015, 05:57:45 AM by Clam »

Offline Clam

• View Profile
    « Reply #11 on: August 18, 2015, 08:33:40 AM »
    Update:
    • Changed Hard levels 9 and 11 to puzzles that are actually solvable in the current version of Lix :lix-ashamed:
    • Lowered the time limit on Hard 20 by 2 seconds to compensate for lix entering the level sooner.

Offline geoo

• Administrator
      • View Profile
    « Reply #12 on: August 18, 2015, 11:03:51 PM »
    It's overdue that I played this pack, as I don't think I've ever played completely through the Lemmix version of this pack.

Why are there time limits? :)

I personally find it quite hard making good levels where the terrain is already given, and I feel your levels reflect this sentiment in some places. Some of the levels seem a bit forced, e.g. there are 3 speed mining levels, or some are quite technical. So while being decent on average, I don't think this pack lives up to your other consistent top-notch quality levels, i.e. it lacks the consistency in being top-notch. But there are quite a bunch of neat levels in there, my clear favourite being 'Pick a Path' (I attached a variation showing what I initially thought I had to do, but that needs an extra miner). The levels I didn't solve during my first pass were appropriately enough named Struggle Street, (not so appropriately) Shady Diggings, and Hold Up. Especially the former two are also among my favourites, though when I solved the first one naturally the second one felt a lot easier when at first it seemed impossible. The last three levels were quite nifty too, though I've seen the last one as a variation in one of your Xmas packs already. 7 and 4 were neat, and 4-10 overall was a stretch of solid levels; I think the ones I wasn't very fond of were those where you had to repeat the same thing/trick many times.

Attached are all my replays...17 and 18 I couldn't be bothered to replay the level to work within the given time limits (as I just hope they'll get removed and then I automatically solved the levels :P). Recorded some in 2015-08-09 and some in 2015-08-09-01; the older ones run in the newer version at least.

Offline Clam

• View Profile
    « Reply #13 on: August 19, 2015, 08:59:07 AM »
    Thanks for the feedback and solutions :lix-smile:

There's no big surprises in the replays, though it turns out I was overcomplicating solutions in a few cases :lix-ashamed:

I'm looking out for better ideas for challenges, but while the Tame levels are exceptionally conducive for these sorts of challenges (hence why this pack exists in the first place) they aren't all equal in that regard. Also keep in mind that part of the design brief is that the solutions carry over to ONML, which Lix is increasingly diverging from, reducing the possibilities further (eg. basher ramps are gone now). I could try to vary the types of challenges a bit more though (great though speed-mining may be :lix-tongue:)

The time limits are there so the "challenges" fit within the original level parameters. (I'm not suggesting that's a good reason, but that is the reason.) For the levels with shorter time limits, it was rather difficult to invent challenges with the skills alone.

I've seen the last one as a variation in one of your Xmas packs already.

The Tame challenges predate that Xmas pack actually. Also on the topic of cross-pollination, level 8 inspired Hall of Stalling from my main Lix pack :lix-smile: