Author Topic: geoo visiting Vienna  (Read 5137 times)

Offline Ramon

• View Profile
    • JRK Studios
geoo visiting Vienna
« on: April 23, 2015, 05:53:24 PM »
Hi folks,

as probably some of you already know, geoo has been to Vienna last month and as I just happen to study there, we decided to meet up. 't was my first time meeting an internet acquaintance, so naturally I was skeptical at first concerning the get-together, but I brushed it off and designed a plan to follow on that day.

The day was Thursday, March 19th - as far as I remember a sunny day (contrary to the days prior, which were mostly clouded and a bit rainy), and at 10 in the morning we met up in Heiligenstadt, one of the northernmost quarters of Vienna. I recognized him almost immediately by his beard (no kidding). So we introduced ourselves formally and then went to take the subway right away to one of the center squares of Vienna, the Karlsplatz - the residence of my university (Vienna University of Technology). The first thing that I found us to have in common are the studies - both of us study/studied Maths and we got to talk quite a bit about it. Sadly he doesn't specialize in the topic that I am going to give a lecture of, else I would have bombarded him with many more questions than I already have. :P

After arriving at Karlsplatz I showed him the interior of my university building a bit, then we moved on to walk across the "Ring" - an important street that proceeds around the city center - passing by the State Opera House and along the Carinthian Street (a big shopping street) to St. Stephen's Cathedral, probably the most iconic building of Vienna. From there we continued on to the Hofburg Palace, where the Austrian President's official residence and workplace is located, and saw more of the "Ring" along with a few more sights, like the Kunsthistorisches Museum and Naturhistorisches Museum, the Town Hall park (it seemed closed though, so we sadly couldn't get in), the Volkstheater and the Museumsquarter (which is kind of a park that often hosts Christmas markets). In this meantime we did get to talk about Lemmings a lot, particularly also about my progress in the Lix levelpack (4 levels unsolved), where I presented some of my approaches to him and he surprisingly told me that they weren't too far off from the actual solution.

At that time the clock hit 12 and I already had a specific restaurant on the Mariahilfer Street (another big shopping street) in mind, so we made our way there and had some delicious Stroganoff and a seemingly Austrian speciality reminiscent of a cheese-baken bread of sorts. (http://www.pitopia.de/pictures/standard/d/daddy/08/daddy_1113508.jpg While not exactly it, it was something like this with some more salads and vegetables.)

Our last planned destination was Schönbrunn Palace. Since it's located rather at the west end of the city, we took the subway yet again. One day prior I had enlisted the help of a studying colleague who lives in the vicinity to show us the exact paths to go from there, since I myself hadn't been there yet. We kind of took a back entrance (passing by the famous Schönbrunn zoo) which directly led us up a hill behind the Palace to the Gloriette (http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/9/90/Gloriette_Sch%C3%B6nbrunn_Wien.jpg/1920px-Gloriette_Sch%C3%B6nbrunn_Wien.jpg). The weather was just perfect, we could catch a few slight glimpses over the city itself. That is also the only time we consciously took a picture of us with the city in the background, but I think we had a few lighting problems, and I haven't seen the pictures myself because we used geoo's camera. Since geoo had a tight schedule for later that day, we sadly had to get back to Heiligenstadt already so that he could catch a bus to get to a lecture in time.

In any case I enjoyed the day, geoo made a very sympathetic impression on me and I'd definitely decide on meeting him again - probably more Lemmings/Lix focused then, since I planned this day only to show him what Austria's beautiful capital has to offer.

Offline 607

• View Profile
Re: geoo visiting Vienna
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2015, 06:07:58 PM »
Sounds like you had a great day, I'm happy to hear that! :)
I've also met an internet acquaintance once, and it was amazing. Because it's so easy to get to know new people on the internet, it's not that unlikely to find a great new friend. If you live in a different country (or even different continent) it's not that easy to meet, though. But if you or the other needs to be in the area... you should really think about arranging a meeting, it'll probably be a great experience!
Before our meeting, I was a bit afraid the age gap would be a problem. In the end it really wasn't, though.

Offline Ramon

• View Profile
    • JRK Studios
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2015, 06:16:55 PM »
That is true, I on my side am not a very talkative person and I was worried there'd not be much conversation between us, and awkward silence is what I really hate - but it ended up not being a real problem, only rather towards the end (when we were on our way back to Heiligenstadt already) did the conversation topics start running out.

Online Simon

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Lix
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2015, 06:53:29 PM »
Very nice.

One day is too short to work on a project together, and the town sure has a lot to see.

-- Simon

Offline Akseli

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2015, 02:17:51 PM »
:party: :party: :party:

Really nice, guys!

I recognized him almost immediately by his beard (no kidding).
In this meantime we did get to talk about Lemmings a lot, particularly also about my progress in the Lix levelpack (4 levels unsolved), where I presented some of my approaches to him and he surprisingly told me that they weren't too far off from the actual solution.

Ahhahahaha, splendid stuff.

Now we'll wait if geoo provides us some photos. :)

Other LF visit topics:
geoo visiting Simon 2010-11
geoo visiting Simon 2014

Offline ccexplore

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2015, 12:22:52 AM »
Wait, so no taste of the world-famous noodles with cream and ham this time around?  Or is that primarily a Simon thing? ;P

Online geoo

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2015, 01:26:54 AM »
There wasn't enough time for world-class cookery this time.

I think the photos were on an SD-Card that vanished, but it seems now that I will actually move to Vienna in September (or more precisely 20km out of Vienna), so I'm sure this wasn't the last of it.

Offline Ramon

• View Profile
    • JRK Studios
« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2015, 09:28:38 AM »
...it seems now that I will actually move to Vienna in September (or more precisely 20km out of Vienna), so I'm sure this wasn't the last of it.

Really, for good? That's awesome news! :thumbsup: So you decided to take up the job at the IST?

Online geoo

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2015, 08:45:47 AM »
Well, I basically responded "I'll accept the offer unless I write otherwise before the deadline passes." The deadline passed, I haven written otherwise, so...

Basically relieves me of the decision whether to go there or to Australia.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2015, 09:12:21 AM by geoo »