Author Topic: Top Six DOS Games  (Read 18950 times)

Offline Dullstar

• View Profile
    • Leafwing Studios Website (EXTREMELY OUTDATED)
Re: Top Six DOS Games
« Reply #15 on: August 28, 2009, 04:59:40 AM »
Thomas the Tank Engine Pinball

That is a DOS game?  LOL

Offline Minim

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 28, 2009, 07:08:47 AM »
Yeah! TtTE pinball is a DOS game. That might have been made in Britain, so you may not have even heard of it at all.
Level Solving Contest creator. Anybody bored and looking for a different challenge? Try these levels!

Neolemmix: #1 #4 #5 #6
Lix: #2  #7
Both Engines: #3

Offline Dullstar

• View Profile
    • Leafwing Studios Website (EXTREMELY OUTDATED)
« Reply #17 on: August 28, 2009, 09:46:26 PM »
I honestly think that the existence of such a game is hilarious.

Offline Mr. K

• Former admin, always Lemmings fan
    • View Profile
    • Wafflenet
« Reply #18 on: August 28, 2009, 11:55:37 PM »
That is amazing.

Offline danparker

• View Profile
    • danparker studios
« Reply #19 on: December 13, 2009, 04:43:04 AM »
I'll list a few.

1. Lemmings
2. Oh No! More Lemmings
3. Lemmings 2: The Tribes
4. Lemmings Chronicles
5. The Early Knowledge Adventures Education Games
6. Kids On Site

Offline Lemika

• The Lurker in the Level
    • View Profile
    • Corner the Maze - a webcomic
« Reply #20 on: January 30, 2010, 09:00:36 AM »
I always have trouble picking top lists, but let's see.

1: Lemmings.
2: Commander Keen.
3: Duke Nukem.
4: Hocus Pocus.
5: Mystic Towers.
6: Crystal Caves.

If there were more than six, just assume that those all extend to cover the whole series they came from.  ;)

Offline Minim

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 13, 2014, 08:07:58 PM »
I missed this! Sounds like an interesting topic for anyone who still remembers DOS or has a DOSbox. I definitely remember playing DOS games when I was a young kid.

Anyway, here are my Top 6 (in fact, these are the only ones I know so far :P but still enjoyed them)

1. Lemmings
2. Grand Prix Circuit
3. Oh No More Lemmings
4. Math Rescue
5. Word Rescue
6. Prince of Persia
Level Solving Contest creator. Anybody bored and looking for a different challenge? Try these levels!

Offline NaOH

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 14, 2014, 03:51:08 AM »
I need a break from my work so why don't I ponder this...

1. Lemmings
2. Command & Conquer: Red Alert
3. Mechwarrior 2: Mercenaries
4. Master of Orion 2
5. The Incredible Machine
6. Warcraft: Orcs and Humans

Huh... I sure liked violent games when I was younger. Even The Incredible Machine featured guns.

I missed this! Sounds like an interesting topic for anyone who still remembers DOS or has a DOSbox. I definitely remember playing DOS games when I was a young kid.

I think you might be slightly confused--

And I believe 3D Lemmings did have a CD version.  And it came out on disc for PS1 and Sega Saturn, for obvious reasons.

Anyway, I'm trying my best to stay on topic, but most of the DOS games I remember were "Learning" games. These are the Top 6 DOS games I've played:

Lemmings
Grand Prix Racing
Prince of Persia
Math Rescue
Word Rescue

--although it is interesting to see how your list has changed!  :)

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #23 on: September 14, 2014, 03:59:18 AM »
The only DOS games I can really say I remember are the Lemmings games and the Commander Keen games, so I can't make much of a list here... they're also two very different games, though Lemmings is definitely my preference. Within each series (favorite to least favorite):

Lemmings
OhNo > Orig > 3D > H94 > L2 >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> L3

Keen
5 > 6 > 4 > 2 > 3 > 1 > Dreams
My Lemmings projects
2D Lemmings: NeoLemmix (engine) | Lemmings Plus Series (level packs) | Doomsday Lemmings (level pack)
3D Lemmings: Loap (engine) | L3DEdit (level / graphics editor) | L3DUtils (replay / etc utility) | Lemmings Plus 3D (level pack)

Offline Minim

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 14, 2014, 08:37:50 AM »

I think you might be slightly confused--

And I believe 3D Lemmings did have a CD version.  And it came out on disc for PS1 and Sega Saturn, for obvious reasons.

Anyway, I'm trying my best to stay on topic, but most of the DOS games I remember were "Learning" games. These are the Top 6 DOS games I've played:

Lemmings
Grand Prix Racing
Prince of Persia
Math Rescue
Word Rescue

--although it is interesting to see how your list has changed!  :)

Well, did I not see that green arrow on the left side of the thread list? Thanks for pointing that out. Thomas the Tank Engine Pinball never entered my head at first. I do remember more DOS games I've played than the ones I've listed, but I couldn't remember their names.

Offline Prob Lem

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 14, 2014, 04:08:25 PM »
This is an interesting one to me, since x86 hardware, and Microsoft's operating systems, were largely irrelevant in the UK home computing market until around the mid-1990s. I still haven't played very much MS-DOS stuff (my top pick was actually the first MS-DOS game I ever played, and several of the others were discovered in more recent times), so it was actually a bit of a struggle to come up with six games!

Anyhow, the list;

1: Lemmings 3D
2: All New World of Lemmings/The Lemmings Chronicles
3: Jazz Jackrabbit
4: Jetpack
5: Commander Keen in Goodbye, Galaxy!
6: Skyroads

I'm unsure about the confusion about Lemmings 3D being on CD earlier on in this thread, though - as far as I've ever found, the floppy disk version mentioned in the demos was never actually released, or at least no evidence exists that it ever was. ;)

Offline grams88

• Just one more thing.
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 19, 2014, 12:59:38 AM »
Here's my list of games, well it's a top five.

1 (Lemmings related games, lemmings tribes my favorite)
2 (Duke 3d)
3 (1nsane)
4 (Llamatron)
5 (Worms United)

Offline Akseli

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 25, 2015, 09:38:03 PM »
I absolutely love Lemika's list, I've played all of those! Prob Lem's list is excellent, too, but I haven't played Lemmings 3D there still...  :-\

I don't want to specify certain games, my favourite game series' have many episodes.

1. Lemmings
2. Commander Keen
3. Doom
4. Jazz Jackrabbit
5. Monster Bash
6. Diggers (after a long pondering between it and, for example, Bio Menace, Blake Stone, Cosmo's Cosmic Adventure, Descent, Duke Nukem, God of Thunder, Heretic, Highway Hunter, Hocus Pocus, Jetpack, Overkill, Raptor, Rayman, Skyroads, Stone Age, Wolfenstein 3D...)

First five were easier to figure. Rayman (1) and Stone Age were the only ones I didn't play as a kid. Lemmings and Commander Keen are still the only games whose user made content I've also played.

Offline 607

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 09, 2015, 07:51:00 PM »
Well, I haven't played too many DOS games, I play more Atari ST. But for the games I do know (often also available for ST) (not necessarily in the right order) (I'm not 100% certain they are all DOS, but I think most of them are) :
Lemmings, and things like oh no, holiday, just the games using that engine.
Lemmings 2.
Lost Vikings. It's a great game, I think, although I've never gotten very far in it.
LucasArts games, I played Day of the Tentacle and Sam & Max: Hit the Road. I only saw other people play DotT, the only one I completed is Sam & Max.
Dizzy: Prince of the Yolkfolk. Why? Well, mostly nostalgia, I guess, it was one of the games I really loved when I was young, even though it's not of great quality.
Lotus: The Ultimate Challenge. For its soundtrack. It's amazing. I've spent more time listening to the soundtrack than actually playing this game, I think.
Fable. It's a pretty nice point & click adventure game.

Those are some DOS games I really liked.

Games I'd really like to play in the future: Monkey Island and the Gobli(i(i))ns trilogy.

Does anyone have any recommendations for me? I don't like overly violent or occult games (in fact, if Lemmings wouldn't be one of my favourite games of all time, I would've stopped playing when I saw the horror theme for the first time).

Offline grams88

• Just one more thing.
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 16, 2015, 01:45:17 PM »
I think I made a mistake, I don't think 1nsane is a dos game. oops.  :lemming:

Hi 607

One game I think you may like as it sounds like you are into your adventure games is (Jack olando). It has a good atmosphere.