Author Topic: Official Lemmings Forums Level Design Contest #2 (Playing)  (Read 6435 times)

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
Official Lemmings Forums Level Design Contest #2 (Playing)
« on: February 16, 2015, 04:31:37 AM »
Alright, level submissions for the second contest have now closed, so it's time to start playing the levels and deciding what ones you like and so on!

Here are some rules for this topic:

1. You are allowed to discuss anything you like about the levels, be it your ideas on solving them, your opinions on the appearance of the level, etc.
2. Any details relating to the solution of the levels, unless very vague, must be spoiler-tagged. For example, "I liked that trick" is fine, "I liked that trick near the end" is probably also fine (though use some discretion), "I liked that cloner trick near the end" should probably be spoilered, and "I liked the trick where you clone the lemming then bomb both versions while the zombie is falling" definitely needs to go behind a spoiler tag.
3. Posting replays of your solutions is perfectly acceptable.

(Yes, these are the same as the rules were in contest #1. Why fix what isn't broken? :P)

We have two NeoLemmix submissions, one traditional Lemmix submission, and one Lemmini submission. The downloads are in a ZIP attached to this post; the Lemmini submission uses a custom graphic set so that's included too.

Super Starship by DynaLem
Format: NeoLemmix
Graphic set: Sega

On The Same Level by Giga
Format: NeoLemmix
Graphic set: Rock

Tomb of Ramses II by IchoTolot
Format: Lemmini
Graphic set: Egyptian (included)

Criteria Fulfilled by Nepster
Format: Lemmix (CustLemm mechanics)
Graphic set: Brick

To run the NeoLemmix levels, the easiest way is to simply use the "Load Single Level" option that has recently been added to NeoCustLemmix. Simply press F6 on the title screen, then select the level file.

To run the Lemmix level, you can either open it in the (Neo)Lemmix Editor and use playtest mode, or rename the file to 0101.lvl, place it in the same folder as CustLemmix, and turn on LookForLVLFiles. Either way, make sure you're using CustLemm mechanics (in CustLemmix, this can be chosen in the Configuration screen).

To run the Lemmini level, first copy the custom graphic set into the "styles" folder, then select "Load Single Level" from the menu.

Voting will be opened in about a week. For this one, it'll be done in two rounds (lasting 4 days each); two votes per user in the first round, one vote per user in the second round (out of the top two levels), assuming that it's a straightforward result with two levels ahead of the rest in the first round.
My Lemmings projects
2D Lemmings: NeoLemmix (engine) | Lemmings Plus Series (level packs) | Doomsday Lemmings (level pack)
3D Lemmings: Loap (engine) | L3DEdit (level / graphics editor) | L3DUtils (replay / etc utility) | Lemmings Plus 3D (level pack)

Online IchoTolot

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Official Lemmings Forums Level Design Contest #2 (Playing)
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2015, 11:16:16 AM »
Solved two of them (100%). Replays attached! (You can probably guess which one needs some VERY deep thinking. My very first ALPHA attemt is in there, too)

Some thoughts:

Super Starship:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

On the same level:

Criteria fulfilled!:

Offline Wafflem

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2015, 01:11:21 PM »
Super Starship:

Also solved two of the levels; the intricate brick level by is already frustrating and really does indeed require a lot of thinking. I have a feeling that all builders will be used in that level.

On the same level by GigaLem:

Tomb of Ramses II by IchoTolot:

Since I cannot save a Lemmini individual level replay, fortunately, Bandicam saves the day, so the video can be seen right here. Note that the video looks choppy if you play it straight from your browser, so I would suggest downloading it first.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2015, 06:36:40 PM by DynaLem »
YouTube: www.tinyurl.com/YTWafflem
Twitch: www.twitch.tv/Wafflem467

Have level designer's block right now? Have some of my incomplete levels for LOTS of ideas!

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2015, 01:31:02 PM »
I havent' played the levels yet (I'll probably get around to it tomorrow night), but from looking at them, my thoughts:

Super Starship

On The Same Level

Tomb of Ramses II

Criteria Fulfilled
My Lemmings projects
2D Lemmings: NeoLemmix (engine) | Lemmings Plus Series (level packs) | Doomsday Lemmings (level pack)
3D Lemmings: Loap (engine) | L3DEdit (level / graphics editor) | L3DUtils (replay / etc utility) | Lemmings Plus 3D (level pack)

Offline Nepster

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2015, 05:47:11 PM »
Super Starship

On The Same Level

Tomb of Ramses II

As for my own level: Do NOT try to get 100% (at least not on your first attempt)! Although this is of course possible (I can upload a replay if necessary), my level is meant to pose a challenge even with the current 75% requirement.
... I have a feeling that all builders will be used in that level.
At least for the 100%-solution you are correct.

@DynaLem: If you want to save replays in Lemmini, look in your main Lemmini folder. There you should find some file called replay.rpl, which contains exactly what it says.

Online IchoTolot

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2015, 06:26:58 PM »
Info: I used NeoLemmix for ALL my replays! Forgot that there was a Lemmix level so the replay won't work with it.

Annnnd just a quick  info to my own one: All the hatches and a lot of the layout have a real purpose. I know some of it seems a bit odd.... (It may come back with a few twists in 1-2 months  8-)). Furthermore try to not use any bashers for more of a challenge!

Offline Nepster

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2015, 07:58:39 PM »
Info: My level can be solved in NeoLemmix, though I would be very surprised if someone manages to save 100%.

@IchoTolot: Looking forward to see this level again! 100% without bashers is still not terribly hard, but requires some planning.

Online IchoTolot

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2015, 02:00:51 PM »
GOT IT!  8-)  My solution is Messy as hell, not without misplays and 100% could have saved more (76% is really pathetic lost ~ 10 Lems just through misplays), but I got through! Replay attached played in NeoLemmix.

(The 100% one must really be a masterpiece of precisicion and planning)

Huge respect for that Monster you have created, Nepster  :thumbsup:

Offline Akseli

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2015, 08:16:57 PM »
Here are my solutions, nice work again all the level designers!