Author Topic: NeoLemmix Community Pack  (Read 86771 times)

Offline Wafflem

• View Profile
Re: NeoLemmix Community Pack
« Reply #165 on: July 27, 2016, 04:22:04 AM »
Since this level is pretty much finished without any further comments, here is Spires of Mire, by Wafflem, Flopsy, Colorful Arty, Minim, IchoTolot and Nepster. This version is the latest version by Nepster, complete with the replay and the music chosen by Colorful Arty.

Also, looking through the Dropbox, Dullstar's tutorial levels aren't in there.
YouTube: www.tinyurl.com/YTWafflem
Twitch: www.twitch.tv/Wafflem467

Have level designer's block right now? Have some of my incomplete levels for LOTS of ideas!

Offline Minim

• View Profile
« Reply #166 on: August 04, 2016, 07:26:22 AM »
I'm wondering if - even though we probably won't reach it for a while - we should consider setting a goal for the number of submissions we try to get. This should be higher than the number of levels we actually intend to include, as we'll probably decide that some submissions aren't suitable (though on the other hand, it's very possible we'll want to add a few more easy levels to fill the gaps - this could be done with repeats if need be, but I would prefer unique levels; of course, it's easy enough for me to throw some together myself if the need arises).

Well, IMO, my first priority is to make sure all the different types objects and skills are available, like in the NeoLemmix Introduction Pack for example. So, I'm going to download all the levels and then create a large spreadsheet. If I discover any notable missing combinations then I probably won't hesitate to add a few more levels to this pack.

Edit: OK. I've compiled all the levels in a spreadsheet so here are some results I've found.

In terms of new NeoLemmix objects my spreadsheet shows so far that there are no levels that include One-Way Fields, Radiation, Splat and Anti-Splat pads or Single use traps. (Although the latter two are only available in the Wasteland graphic set, it would be nice if we could use them in other sets, or even better, if namida decides to release the honeycomb set early so that we can make use of that trap better) Also, I only see the Slowfreeze in one of Dullstar's tutorial levels and nowhere else. The Updraft and Splitter are also only seen once - in 'The Copenhagen Interpretation' and 'Lemming of the Century' respectively.

In terms of skills the disarmer skill is only used once - also in a tutorial level - and nowhere else. The Stoners and Stackers aren't too far ahead, although understandably, the mask images of both skills are quite similar.

Have to praise whoever re-edited 'Underwater Operation' to add swimmers to the skillset! :thumbsup: Still, it would be nice if somebody can put these objects and the disarmer skill in at least one level before we compile the pack together. I'm going to try and re-release one of my contest levels with the radiation object, as long as its in a graphic set that has water.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2016, 06:06:42 PM by Minim »
Level Solving Contest creator. Anybody bored and looking for a different challenge? Try these levels!

Neolemmix: #1 #4 #5 #6
Lix: #2  #7
Both Engines: #3

Offline IchoTolot

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #167 on: August 13, 2016, 08:55:57 PM »
Update for "Apocalypse Maintenant", some fire pits were dislocated and the replay breaks in the exp version.

Also updates for the replays for those entries whose replays will fail in the new version.

Everything attached :)

+ notice to namida: As I last checked the last contest entries were not in the Dropbox ;P     At least my stuff  (Clausthal + Overload) and Flopsy's level were missing as I recall.

Offline mobius

• relax.
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: August 31, 2016, 01:45:15 AM »
I don't know if you guys decided to use my level "Copenhagen Interpretation" or not but if you do; I'm changing the title to "Push the button, Max"

I'm also going to redo "In the Pale Moonlight" in a new graphic set; probably Gronklings Slime set, and attempt to fix the backroutes; which will probably alter the layout significantly.
everything by me: https://www.lemmingsforums.net/index.php?topic=5982.msg96035#msg96035

"Not knowing how near the truth is, we seek it far away."
-Hakuin Ekaku

"I have seen a heap of trouble in my life, and most of it has never come to pass" - Mark Twain

Offline Dullstar

• View Profile
    • Leafwing Studios Website (EXTREMELY OUTDATED)
« Reply #169 on: September 05, 2016, 02:52:25 AM »
OK. I've compiled all the levels in a spreadsheet so here are some results I've found.

In terms of new NeoLemmix objects my spreadsheet shows so far that there are no levels that include One-Way Fields, Radiation, Splat and Anti-Splat pads or Single use traps. (Although the latter two are only available in the Wasteland graphic set, it would be nice if we could use them in other sets, or even better, if namida decides to release the honeycomb set early so that we can make use of that trap better) Also, I only see the Slowfreeze in one of Dullstar's tutorial levels and nowhere else. The Updraft and Splitter are also only seen once - in 'The Copenhagen Interpretation' and 'Lemming of the Century' respectively.
I'd just like to mention that I'm not surprised radiation and slowfreeze aren't used much. I had a lot of trouble coming up with a tutorial level for slowfreeze and I'm not completely satisfied with the result. I might try again at it later; and I still need to do radiation. I'd honestly forgotten about Splat/Anti-Splat pads and Single Use Traps since most of the tilesets I've used don't have them at all.
I'm surprised updrafts are only seen in one level though, but I'll fix that - I never specified whether or not Lem-17 Bomber from an earlier level design contest can be used for this, and that level uses updrafts, so that should solve that problem. I'll get on a tutorial level for them right now.

EDIT: Here's a picture of Lem-17 Bomber

In terms of skills the disarmer skill is only used once - also in a tutorial level - and nowhere else. The Stoners and Stackers aren't too far ahead, although understandably, the mask images of both skills are quite similar.

Still, it would be nice if somebody can put these objects and the disarmer skill in at least one level before we compile the pack together. I'm going to try and re-release one of my contest levels with the radiation object, as long as its in a graphic set that has water.

I'll see if I can do anything with the disarmer as well, but I'm not so sure about that.

By the way, earlier in this thread I released a level called Test Chamber. I never got any replays back for whatever the latest version of it was so I don't know if it has any backroutes (or if anyone's even found the intended solution!) or not.  It is attached, along with some other stuff, to this post.

EDIT: The version of Test Chamber in the dropbox doesn't seem to be labelled v4, but is in fact the correct version. Also, picture!

EDIT TO AVOID DOUBLE POST:
Completed an Updraft Tutorial Level!

If you can't play it, you've got outdated versions of the Genesis tilesets. They should autodownload but I'm not sure what happens if you have already have an older, incompatible version of the set.  I needed it because those sets have updrafts in them; the normal versions of the sets, except fire, do not - and I didn't want to use the fire set for this level.

EDIT 2: It would help if I actually attached the level.  Added a picture of it while I'm at it.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2016, 04:07:11 AM by Dullstar »

Offline Minim

• View Profile
« Reply #170 on: September 05, 2016, 08:35:07 AM »
EDIT 2: It would help if I actually attached the level.  Added a picture of it while I'm at it.

Hey, that pink updraft looks lovely! :thumbsup: I'm gonna try and play it when I get the chance.

Anyway, I've come up with some ideas for levels to try and fill in those gaps. The first two levels are remakes of OhNo and modified so that traps are included and thus we can make use of disarmers.

The third one (and, the biggest level I've created so far) makes use of radiation and splat pads. The final one is my remake of the 'if you can't reach 'em' level with the sensible radiation object. It uses the psychedelic graphic set, the set that makes the best use of NeoLemmix features.

So, the only objects left for use in proper levels are one-way fields, slowfreeze and single use traps.
Level Solving Contest creator. Anybody bored and looking for a different challenge? Try these levels!

Neolemmix: #1 #4 #5 #6
Lix: #2  #7
Both Engines: #3

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #171 on: September 05, 2016, 11:17:35 AM »
If you can't play it, you've got outdated versions of the Genesis tilesets. They should autodownload but I'm not sure what happens if you have already have an older, incompatible version of the set.  I needed it because those sets have updrafts in them; the normal versions of the sets, except fire, do not - and I didn't want to use the fire set for this level.

If you already have a copy, it won't redownload. Just delete the copy you have (in NeoLemmix's "styles" folder), which will force it to re-download and get the up-to-date one.

With that being said, have you tried the experimental player / editor versions? These now allow mixing graphic sets together in a single level, and it shouldn't be too much longer before they become the main (stable) release. Cases like this - needing an object that doesn't usually exist in the graphic set you're primarily using - is the main reason such a feature was implemented. :)
My Lemmings projects
2D Lemmings: NeoLemmix (engine) | Lemmings Plus Series (level packs) | Doomsday Lemmings (level pack)
3D Lemmings: Loap (engine) | L3DEdit (level / graphics editor) | L3DUtils (replay / etc utility) | Lemmings Plus 3D (level pack)

Offline IchoTolot

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #172 on: September 05, 2016, 11:31:05 AM »
As I see that in the dropbox the contributed levels from the last contest are still not included I post mine here again.

I recall some more people offering them for the community pack as well, so it might be a good idea to include them at the same time.

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #173 on: September 05, 2016, 12:55:14 PM »
All of these ones have been added.

To those who have offered levels but don't see them in the Dropbox - can you let me know which ones, and either link to or reupload them?

(Please keep in mind that I don't automatically put all NL contest submissions into this pack, since a lot of them are ones that people plan to use in their own packs.)
My Lemmings projects
2D Lemmings: NeoLemmix (engine) | Lemmings Plus Series (level packs) | Doomsday Lemmings (level pack)
3D Lemmings: Loap (engine) | L3DEdit (level / graphics editor) | L3DUtils (replay / etc utility) | Lemmings Plus 3D (level pack)

Offline Dullstar

• View Profile
« Reply #174 on: September 06, 2016, 06:10:51 PM »

If you already have a copy, it won't redownload. Just delete the copy you have (in NeoLemmix's "styles" folder), which will force it to re-download and get the up-to-date one.

With that being said, have you tried the experimental player / editor versions? These now allow mixing graphic sets together in a single level, and it shouldn't be too much longer before they become the main (stable) release. Cases like this - needing an object that doesn't usually exist in the graphic set you're primarily using - is the main reason such a feature was implemented. :)

I thought about trying the experimental but decided against it; besides, I've taken care to recolor those updrafts so they have the same color palettes as the tilesets :). I made recolors for the normal sets as well, but in order to use them with the experimental I'd need to create and release a tileset with them.

That said, I should probably at least download the experimental and make sure my levels still work on it - though I don't think any of the solutions are precise enough to be affected by any of the changes.

Offline Dullstar

• View Profile
« Reply #175 on: September 07, 2016, 03:28:37 AM »
Made another tutorial level; this one for the splitter.

I think I can do better, though, so I might try again later - after all, a larger crowd of lemmings than this level has would probably demonstrate the object better, but I came up with a little "story" of sorts to go with the level.

It happens to fit Rule 1 for the contest, but I'm not submitting it even though I still could if I want to, since it's a tutorial level and therefore probably won't stand a chance against other more serious contenders, even if it does have a little story to go with it.

You can feel free to try to interpret it yourself, or you can read the spoiler here:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Potential modifications:
 - Might add 1 additional of each skill to make it a bit harder to screw up, since it is a tutorial level after all.
 - Alternatively: might scrap it and make something better demonstrating the behavior of a splitter in a large crowd of lemmings. This level was very much "first thing I came up with."
 - In addition, I might try to draw splitters for another tileset so I don't have to use bricks  (but can still use an original game tileset). But even ignoring my bias towards official-game tilesets, I don't know any others off the top of my head that have the object. That would have to be done for the experimental version though since that won't work in the stable version.

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #176 on: September 07, 2016, 12:12:59 PM »
- In addition, I might try to draw splitters for another tileset so I don't have to use bricks  (but can still use an original game tileset). But even ignoring my bias towards official-game tilesets, I don't know any others off the top of my head that have the object. That would have to be done for the experimental version though since that won't work in the stable version.

Off the top of my head, splitters also exist in Psychedelic, Metal, Horror and Clockwork. The last two would look very out-of-place mixed with default graphic sets (as Horror and Clockwork are both full-color graphic sets, rather than using a very limited palette like the official / LPII / LPIII sets), but the first two should work alright.
My Lemmings projects

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #177 on: September 07, 2016, 03:03:06 PM »
Since secret levels are no longer a thing in NeoLemmix, I've removed the secret levels from NeoLemmix Introduction Pack. Since (aside from the no-longer-usable gimmick one) these are actually fairly decent levels, I've submitted them for this pack. :)
My Lemmings projects

Offline mobius

• relax.
    • View Profile
« Reply #178 on: September 07, 2016, 11:58:05 PM »
Here's a remake of my contest level "In the Pale Moonlight" with a possible backroute fix. I'm not at all confident that this removes the backroutes, but it's a start.

Note: This only works with the experimental version of editor and player.
everything by me: https://www.lemmingsforums.net/index.php?topic=5982.msg96035#msg96035

"Not knowing how near the truth is, we seek it far away."
-Hakuin Ekaku

"I have seen a heap of trouble in my life, and most of it has never come to pass" - Mark Twain

Offline IchoTolot

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #179 on: September 08, 2016, 11:49:02 AM »
Removed the background objects from 2 of my levels.

Only works with the newest tileset update!