Author Topic: NeoLemmix Community Pack  (Read 86769 times)

Offline Dullstar

• View Profile
    • Leafwing Studios Website (EXTREMELY OUTDATED)
Re: NeoLemmix Community Pack
« Reply #150 on: June 11, 2016, 09:02:12 PM »
I made the obstacle thicker. This should hopefully fix Nepster's backroute.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2016, 09:21:23 PM by Dullstar »

Offline Wafflem

• View Profile
« Reply #151 on: June 12, 2016, 12:40:09 AM »
Here's my solution to the latest version (V3) of Test Chamber.
YouTube: www.tinyurl.com/YTWafflem
Twitch: www.twitch.tv/Wafflem467

Have level designer's block right now? Have some of my incomplete levels for LOTS of ideas!

Offline Dullstar

• View Profile
« Reply #152 on: June 12, 2016, 01:34:10 AM »
Well :sick:

I went ahead and added some steel pieces to the level.  Makes the layout a little busier, but it should seal off some stuff.

Also, here are those tutorial type levels I mentioned earlier.  I intend to redo some of them (I want to make a new swimmer level using the beach style, for one), and "Climber Shortage," one of the two cloner application levels, needs work - there's a level illustrating the same concept in the NeoLemmix introduction pack that works a lot better.  The radiation and slowfreeze objects have also given me a lot of trouble; Frostbite Mountain illustrates slowfreeze, but I can't say I'm a huge fan of the level.

My original goal with these levels was to create a pack at around the fun/tricky difficulty level to allow a little more experimentation with the new skills and objects than the NeoLemmix Introduction Pack does, with the new tutorial levels there mostly for completion's sake, but I have for the time being tabled the project.  Any of the tutorial levels that were going to be used with it can be used here; I don't mind, because if I ever decide to go back to the project I made these for, I can always make new ones.

Out of these levels I think the most notable one is "Stacker Ascent," as it shows off something I've seen done with stackers a few times but never thought of trying in levels that called for it until I'd seen it done once.  I think "Clone Your Workers" is the best level out of the pack, but there is a similar one in the NeoLemmix Introduction Pack.

The main difference between these levels and the NeoLemmix Introduction Pack is that I've tried to make these similar in feel to the original game's tutorial levels, where the puzzle elements in the level are generally the absolute minimum required to get the point across, whereas a few of the NeoLemmix Introduction Pack levels do take a small amount of thought - not much, mind you, but I like the idea of tutorial levels where you mostly use the skill and see what happens.

If you want to use these (in full or in part), be warned that I didn't finish making levels for objects.  I'll create levels for the remaining objects on request (except radiation).

I have some levels that use the lemmings 2 sets and would like to use the lemmings 2 music with them.  I know it's possible to do custom music, but since I figure I might not be the only one who wants to use the lemmings 2 music, what should we call the tracks?  I currently have them in my music folder under the name l2-[tribenamehere].mod, but I can easily change it since I've only briefly messed with them, so it wouldn't take long to update content to allow a change in the names.
(Or do we want to avoid custom music entirely with this set?)

EDIT TO AVOID DOUBLE POST:
I've added one more level to the tutorial pack.  This one should have been there initially, but the level was deleted by mistake about a week or so ago, and so I had to remake it - although I did it in a different style and gave it a different name this time.  Since it's just one level, instead of updating the zip, I've just added it on as an extra attachment.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2016, 02:22:53 AM by Dullstar »

Offline mobius

• relax.
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: June 12, 2016, 04:50:59 PM »
I'd I'd like to submit my older contest level "Copenhagen Interpretation" for inclusion here if that's allowed. Once the current contest is over [and I get all the problems ironed out] I'll submit that level as well.
[my solution attached as well]
everything by me: https://www.lemmingsforums.net/index.php?topic=5982.msg96035#msg96035

"Not knowing how near the truth is, we seek it far away."
-Hakuin Ekaku

"I have seen a heap of trouble in my life, and most of it has never come to pass" - Mark Twain

Offline Wafflem

• View Profile
« Reply #154 on: June 15, 2016, 02:47:05 PM »
Dullstar: Sure, I'd be happy to see the objects tutorial levels as well!

Yeah, the slowfreeze tutorial level doesn't look fun, but I really love the level design. I think you can also make a version of the level with that design that doesn't have the slowfreeze in it.

Blocker Rescue Operation is a very good level as well as I don't believe I've seen a tutorial level before that removes terrain to free blockers.

Have level designer's block right now? Have some of my incomplete levels for LOTS of ideas!

Offline Dullstar

• View Profile
« Reply #155 on: June 15, 2016, 06:44:06 PM »
Updated version of Blocker Rescue Operation that lowers the amount of skills so you can't spam platformers to avoid using a blocker.

Offline Nepster

• View Profile
« Reply #156 on: June 20, 2016, 05:12:13 PM »
Here are two more levels for the community level pack:

Holy Cow! The terrain layout was already used for a glitch-highlighting test level. But now that it has done its job, I felt that it should be used for some real level as well. The level is of easy-to-medium difficulty.

Underwater Operation: Originally a level by John Walker, that got completely broken by bigger trigger areas for water objects: Now the lemmings can no longer walk on the steel bottom of the lake. So I took the liberty to change it to a honest level with a completely new solution and skill set.

Offline Dullstar

• View Profile
« Reply #157 on: June 24, 2016, 06:44:52 AM »
I made a relatively straightforward, simple level that's intended to be a simple intro to having to plan where certain skills need to go.

As to what I mean by this,
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

It uses my one of my updated Genesis sets, but since it doesn't use any of the features I added, it should be fully compatible with the old versions of the sets.

On another subject, does anyone have a replay of Test Chamber v4? I'd like to know if I've patched out all the backroutes, and also if anyone's managed to solve it properly...

Speaking of replays, I have some of the two levels Nepster updated.  I'm not certain, since I don't know what the intended solution is, but I highly suspect I backrouted Underwater Operation quite badly.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2016, 07:00:43 AM by Dullstar »

Offline Wafflem

• View Profile
« Reply #158 on: June 24, 2016, 02:51:10 PM »
Here's a replay for Plan B. This one didn't use the builders, so it might be a backroute.

I haven't beaten Test Chamber yet; I feel this is the hardest level you've made so far.

Offline Nepster

• View Profile
« Reply #159 on: June 24, 2016, 07:29:29 PM »
Here updated versions of "Holy Cow!" (fixes Simon's backroute; Dullstar's solution is fine) and "Underwater Operation" (fixes Dullstar's backroute).

Offline Dullstar

• View Profile
« Reply #160 on: June 26, 2016, 05:26:22 AM »
Here's a replay for Plan B. This one didn't use the builders, so it might be a backroute.

The builders are supposed to be used, but you did correctly notice that

If you want to get a little closer to the intended solution before I figure out a decent-looking way to fix the level,

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #161 on: July 26, 2016, 01:15:57 PM »
Well, we have 61 candidate levels now - and maybe a fair bit more if enough entries from the latest contest get donated to the pack! :) It's progressing slowly, but surely.

I'm wondering if - even though we probably won't reach it for a while - we should consider setting a goal for the number of submissions we try to get. This should be higher than the number of levels we actually intend to include, as we'll probably decide that some submissions aren't suitable (though on the other hand, it's very possible we'll want to add a few more easy levels to fill the gaps - this could be done with repeats if need be, but I would prefer unique levels; of course, it's easy enough for me to throw some together myself if the need arises).
My Lemmings projects
2D Lemmings: NeoLemmix (engine) | Lemmings Plus Series (level packs) | Doomsday Lemmings (level pack)
3D Lemmings: Loap (engine) | L3DEdit (level / graphics editor) | L3DUtils (replay / etc utility) | Lemmings Plus 3D (level pack)

Offline Nepster

• View Profile
« Reply #162 on: July 26, 2016, 03:41:44 PM »
Do we need an official goal for the number of levels? Why not announce a date to migrate to the new NeoLemmix version and we try to compile a pack at that time using whatever levels we have. If it is still a rather small pack by that time, we can add further levels in subsequent versions, especially as adding new levels will be much easier with the new file system as it is in the current one (as far as I understand the plan).

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #163 on: July 26, 2016, 05:14:55 PM »
My reasoning was that, if we have a goal and we're getting close to it, it may lead to more motivation to push for that goal, especially if what we primarily need are more easy levels.
My Lemmings projects
2D Lemmings: NeoLemmix (engine) | Lemmings Plus Series (level packs) | Doomsday Lemmings (level pack)
3D Lemmings: Loap (engine) | L3DEdit (level / graphics editor) | L3DUtils (replay / etc utility) | Lemmings Plus 3D (level pack)

Offline Apjjm

• View Profile
« Reply #164 on: July 26, 2016, 05:34:50 PM »
I would like to submit my contest level & its harder variant (Crosstalk Conundrum) to the pack - even if ultimately one (or neither) end up getting used.

Edit: Replays attached
« Last Edit: July 26, 2016, 07:16:13 PM by Apjjm »
My Level Packs: Quartet