Author Topic: NeoLemmix Community Pack  (Read 86801 times)

Offline Wafflem

• View Profile
Re: NeoLemmix Community Pack
« Reply #30 on: March 10, 2015, 02:33:47 PM »
In particular, I'm thinking of loosening up the "no levels from big packs" to simply "no levels from big Lemmix/NeoLemmix packs" (ie: allowing converted levels from big Lemmini packs
That's a great idea and will really help with this pack. What about levels with custom graphics (like the Castle levels from Pieuw's PimoLems, the Lemmini version of the Tribes styles, etc.)?

...of course it goes without saying that it has to be your levels (or with the author's permission) that you submit).

What about levels that are really good, but there is no way to contact the author on if it's okay to include them (such as the VTM levels, Ben Conway, Juanjo, tumble_weed, etc.)?

Also, I've PM'd you some more levels for submission from my three packs. I might include some levels from my unused gimmick pack. If I were to submit "Turn Around Bright Eyes", however, I need to remake this level in an LP style since the Horror style is not accepted; this shouldn't be a problem, though.

Are you still willing to accept Sega submissions? I did make a lot of good levels using that style (especially Super Starship, which made it to the finals).
YouTube: www.tinyurl.com/YTWafflem
Twitch: www.twitch.tv/Wafflem467

Have level designer's block right now? Have some of my incomplete levels for LOTS of ideas!

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #31 on: March 10, 2015, 02:48:46 PM »
There's no means of converting Lemmini styles to NeoLemmix at the moment (other than doing it manually), so that could be problematic. Of course, with the NeoLemmix graphic set format documented, and LemSet being open source, there's nothing to stop anyone who feels confident with doing some coding from making a tool to convert them. (Yeah, I know, I'll probably end up making the tool eventually. xD)

Simply throwing the levels in as-is somewhat defeats the purpose of using NeoLemmix; at the very least they should be modified for accurate steel, cutting out empty space, etc. While I might be okay with merely including levels from such people, I definitely think I draw the line at modifying them. It may take longer to get the pack done this way, but I think it's a bit more ethical too. And besides, the more original content, the better; and if that doesn't happen, then at least the more intended-for-NeoLemmix content, the better. :) At the very least, at least levels should have blank space removed (by using the resizing / shifting the level), and all skills with zero count removed.

Yep, Sega style is fine. Beyond the unusual colour scheme (which could also be said about Psychedelic and maybe even Circuit styles), it doesn't really stand out any more than any other specific style does, so I don't think it'll look too out-of-place.

One thing I'm wondering about is training levels. Should we have some kind of training levels in this? Perhaps a dedicated rank for them, covering not just the new skills, but also the new types of objects?

Also, thanks to a batch-submission from DynaLem, we now have 10 levels total (including my new one posted above). I'm willing to bet the current contest will result in at least one or two more potential submissions too. 11 if you count "A Little Breather" (from older versions of LPII); I didn't think of that at first because I haven't extracted it from the old data files and put it into my "collection of potential levels" folder yet. That one aside, you're probably only going to see completely-new levels from me in this (and if this project doesn't go anywhere, I'll either distribute them as a NeoCustLemmix pack, or include them in a new project).
My Lemmings projects
2D Lemmings: NeoLemmix (engine) | Lemmings Plus Series (level packs) | Doomsday Lemmings (level pack)
3D Lemmings: Loap (engine) | L3DEdit (level / graphics editor) | L3DUtils (replay / etc utility) | Lemmings Plus 3D (level pack)

Offline exit

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 13, 2015, 08:18:30 PM »
Would christmas levels be allowed as entries?

Here's three levels that I made. One of them is a Christmas level.

I know this "isn't very believable", but all of them are 100% possible(I have replays for one).
They're mostly harder levels.

Okay, I attached them.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2015, 01:55:25 AM by exit »

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #33 on: March 14, 2015, 01:44:28 AM »
Personally I was thinking avoiding using that set (we could always use Snow instead), but no one else has said much either way about it. If in general people don't see too much of a problem with it, then I guess it's okay.

However - looks like you forgot to attach the levels. :P
My Lemmings projects
2D Lemmings: NeoLemmix (engine) | Lemmings Plus Series (level packs) | Doomsday Lemmings (level pack)
3D Lemmings: Loap (engine) | L3DEdit (level / graphics editor) | L3DUtils (replay / etc utility) | Lemmings Plus 3D (level pack)

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #34 on: March 14, 2015, 07:14:24 AM »
"A Brilliant Facade" and "The Wall" don't seem to be possible under NeoLemmix, due to differences in basher and climber mechanics respectively. "At Night" works fine, but it's very simple - not that that's a bad thing; the pack obviously needs easier levels too (though I'd say this one is more mid-range, not "easy" as such). I do notice that these are actually regular Lemmix levels, not NeoLemmix ones - that's fine (since NeoLemmix can use traditional Lemmix levels, and converting them to native NeoLemmix format is very simple too), but make sure you test them under NeoLemmix, especially when relying on precise details of the mechanics - while any level that doesn't rely on over-precise details will generally work fine under either, those that rely on finer details may not (eg. any that involves building through the bottom of a platform, any that involves a climber passing through terrain at the top of a short wall, any that involves bashers stopping due to lack of terrain from interactions with other skills). "A Brilliant Facade" might actually be possible by lining things up perfectly, but unless there's something major I'm missing, "The Wall" isn't.

I would also recommend removing any skills that aren't used from the skillset, rather than just leaving them there as zero. It looks tidier. (You'll be able to do this once the levels are in NeoLemmix format; the NeoLemmix Editor won't let you do it in traditional Lemmix levels because traditional Lemmix doesn't have such a function.)
My Lemmings projects

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #35 on: March 14, 2015, 07:32:10 AM »
By the way, since I hadn't posted these yet, here are the intended solutions to my two submissions.
My Lemmings projects

Offline Wafflem

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 14, 2015, 02:06:23 PM »
Just to make sure, are levels using Cheapo styles accepted, or rejected in the same vein as the Horror style since the Cheapo graphics are pretty much on-par in quality with the Horror graphics?
YouTube: www.tinyurl.com/YTWafflem
Twitch: www.twitch.tv/Wafflem467

Have level designer's block right now? Have some of my incomplete levels for LOTS of ideas!

Offline Nepster

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 14, 2015, 07:28:52 PM »
I haven't looked at the intended solution to "Try To Be A Lemmings", but here is a replay using only one of the three climbers. The last gap requires pixel-precise assignment of the platformer btw.

Offline exit

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 14, 2015, 10:47:59 PM »
I changed At Night to have less skills(which might make it a bit easier) and converted it to the snow style.

I attached replays for both levels(I solved A Brilliant Facade in NeoLemmix, but you might notice on the replay that I forgot to put up the release rate in on time).
« Last Edit: March 15, 2015, 02:51:45 PM by exit »

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #39 on: March 15, 2015, 02:42:24 AM »
Seems you forgot to attach the files again... :P (<--- not like I haven't done that myself a million times or anything :P)
My Lemmings projects

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #40 on: March 15, 2015, 01:32:43 PM »
Okay, I checked your replay Nepster, and it should be easy enough to fix.

I do need to tone down the precision of that platformer a bit. Problem is, it needs to stay impossible to make the lemming turn around; there's about a two pixel difference between pixel-precision and able-to-turn-around with platformers. Though I guess this could also be worked around by simply making the other side a bit lower.
My Lemmings projects

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #41 on: March 16, 2015, 04:34:47 AM »
Here's V2 of "Try To Be A Lemming". It removes the need to be pixel-precise with that final platformer, as well as hopefully patching up that backroute.
My Lemmings projects

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #42 on: March 16, 2015, 07:06:33 AM »
Okay, I checked these out. Indeed, I'd overlooked something in A Brilliant Facade. As you mention, your replay doens't quite work - not due to release rate issues, but rather, one lemming slips out the bottom. I've managed to slightly modify your solution to get it to work.

I really like the new version of "aT NiGHt". :D Although I was able to solve it without the blocker; not sure it that was intended or not. By the way, your replay for this level doesn't work - it appears you saved the replay before actually doing anything. :P
My Lemmings projects

Offline Nepster

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: March 23, 2015, 10:28:02 PM »
Author guess: Nepster – A small, hard, technical level.
As it seems that I already have a certain reputation, I may as well post another such level :P. Not sure, whether it is suitable for a Community Level Pack, but that is for others to decide...

PS @namida: May I remind you of
Currently noted suggestions [for NeoLemmix Editor]
> Handling deleted pieces in the fashion the original Lemmix editor
If you want to know why, then try to count how many terrain pieces I needed for that branch and how deeply they are stacked. Or even better: Try to recreate it.

Offline GigaLem

• The Dog That Brought Lemmings to Avalice
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: April 29, 2015, 09:07:53 PM »
I am going to contribute some levels to this (About 15 i'll post when im done)
But i have an idea for a name
"Neo-Lemmings" what do you think
like it? or do you have an idea yourself?
go ahead and tell me ;)