Author Topic: Official Lemmings Forums Level Design Contest #1 (Results)  (Read 13818 times)

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
Official Lemmings Forums Level Design Contest #1 (Results)
« on: January 30, 2015, 01:49:40 PM »
Well, it's time to announce the results!

1st Place
Crane's level "Precarious Construction (Part 2)"
Prize: Steam game worth up to US$10

2nd Place
IchoTolot's level "Shadowrun"
Prize: Advertising on the news ticker for 1 month

Thanks also to keiya, möbius and Nepster for participating, and to everyone who played and voted for levels! :) You're now welcome to discuss these levels, and the creators may upload backroute-fixed / improved / alternate versions if they wish.

EDIT: Neither winner chose to set the next contest rules, so I'll be choosing them. I've put up a poll with some vague ideas to see what people think; this may influence what I pick though it is not nessecerially a matter of "whatever wins will be the rules". And of course, you're welcome to suggest other ideas altogether either in this topic or by PMing me.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2015, 06:40:35 PM by namida »
My Lemmings projects
2D Lemmings: NeoLemmix (engine) | Lemmings Plus Series (level packs) | Doomsday Lemmings (level pack)
3D Lemmings: Loap (engine) | L3DEdit (level / graphics editor) | L3DUtils (replay / etc utility) | Lemmings Plus 3D (level pack)

Offline mobius

• relax.
    • View Profile
Re: Official Lemmings Forums Level Design Contest #1 (Results)
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2015, 07:28:17 PM »
congratulations crane.  8-)
I'm sorry to say I only solved one level of the contest but they were all enjoyable to play and looked nice.
everything by me: https://www.lemmingsforums.net/index.php?topic=5982.msg96035#msg96035

"Not knowing how near the truth is, we seek it far away."
-Hakuin Ekaku

"I have seen a heap of trouble in my life, and most of it has never come to pass" - Mark Twain

Offline Nepster

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2015, 08:36:29 PM »
Congratulations to both Crane and IchoTolot :thumbsup:!

Attached is a backroute-fix to Colourland and a replay of the intended solution (for those who just want to watch it). The replay was recorded with CustLemmixNeo V1.28n using the revised version of Colourland.

Offline IchoTolot

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2015, 09:31:42 PM »
Congratulation to Crane from myself, too!  ;)  Was a very nice contest, will definately participate again!  :)

Offline mobius

• relax.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2015, 11:12:48 PM »
I forgot I could upload my back route fix as well. Instead, I think I'll wait to release that with my upcoming [over 1 year in the works] lemmix 10-level pack. ;)
everything by me: https://www.lemmingsforums.net/index.php?topic=5982.msg96035#msg96035

"Not knowing how near the truth is, we seek it far away."
-Hakuin Ekaku

"I have seen a heap of trouble in my life, and most of it has never come to pass" - Mark Twain

Offline Crane

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2015, 06:12:49 PM »
Well, now that the competition is over and, somehow, I won, I have no qualms about uploading the (hopefully) patched version.

To explain the "part 2", it's actually a happy accident.  While I was playtesting an earlier version of the level, I briefly joked if I should upload a level that was impossible to complete, so I changed the skills to 1 of everything... and completed it!!  While the solution is easier than what I intended, it was too good an opportunity to pass up!

precarious.lvl is "Part 2", and precarious1.lvl is what would be part 1.

By the way... anyone have any recommendations to what game I should get on Steam? Not expecting to win, my choice to buy the original Quake and the expansions was a little premature!  I have everything for Doom, Quake and Commander Keen already (except Keen Dreams and Aliens Ate My Babysitter; yep, I'm an old-school gamer!)

Offline IchoTolot

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2015, 06:40:57 PM »
By the way... anyone have any recommendations to what game I should get on Steam? Not expecting to win, my choice to buy the original Quake and the expansions was a little premature!  I have everything for Doom, Quake and Commander Keen already (except Keen Dreams and Aliens Ate My Babysitter; yep, I'm an old-school gamer!)
Through mentioning all thse oldschool shooter I recommend you trying the Serious Sam HD games (They should be a little bit over 10$, but you could wait for sale).  ;)  Lots of fun (up to 16 player coop) and mowing down hordes and hordes of monster with miniguns, laser, cannons..... and it has a lot of great oneliners, too.
Little trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JTbwOukQlDY

Offline Crane

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2015, 06:48:48 PM »
I remember using the "Demo" mode of Serious Sam 2 as one of our "Level 3 tests" when I was still testing graphics cards at Imagination Technologies... we found quite a few bugs in our hardware with that one.  Okay then, Serious Sam HD it is!  Why not indeed!  I always did like Duke Nukem 3D for the humour anyway (as well as being one of the few games I heavily modded because of how easy it was to do).

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2015, 06:52:02 PM »
I'm not sure what they cost on Steam, but the Oddworld games (apart from Stranger's Wrath) are all high recommendations in my books. Not quite as classic as the others you speak of, but the first two are fairly old (PS1 era); Munch's Oddysee is original Xbox.
My Lemmings projects
2D Lemmings: NeoLemmix (engine) | Lemmings Plus Series (level packs) | Doomsday Lemmings (level pack)
3D Lemmings: Loap (engine) | L3DEdit (level / graphics editor) | L3DUtils (replay / etc utility) | Lemmings Plus 3D (level pack)

Offline IchoTolot

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2015, 06:55:38 PM »
Glad I could help you out.  ;)  I first played the classic first encounter at a LAN-Party back in the days, it was complete chaos and lots of fun. I instandly bought the secound encounter and from that moment I stayed with the series up to the 3rd part which was released a few years ago and I cannot wait for the next game.

Offline Crane

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2015, 06:58:41 PM »
I would like to go with Serious Sam HD - something to try out.  I do like the old-school chaos and escapism that feels missing in modern shooters.

P.S. Take a look at the two Precarious Construction levels if you like.  I would like to say that Precarious Construction (Part 2) uses a trick which I don't think appears anywhere else... not to my knowledge anyway.

Offline Wafflem

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 31, 2015, 08:59:28 PM »
Create a level using a specific gimmick in NeoLemmix (most likely Zombies)

I was thinking that it would be better if it would be any gimmick. This is because nobody (aside from the Lemmings Plus packs and my first pack) as far as I as know has actually made any gimmick levels.
YouTube: www.tinyurl.com/YTWafflem
Twitch: www.twitch.tv/Wafflem467

Have level designer's block right now? Have some of my incomplete levels for LOTS of ideas!

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #12 on: January 31, 2015, 09:18:51 PM »
Create a level using a specific gimmick in NeoLemmix (most likely Zombies)

I was thinking that it would be better if it would be any gimmick. This is because nobody (aside from the Lemmings Plus packs and my first pack) as far as I as know has actually made any gimmick levels.

There's a few SuperLemming levels out there, but that's it. This could be a good idea though; maybe with some limitations on which gimmicks are used (for example, Reverse Skill Counts, Overflow and Bait-and-Switch should probably be ruled out for obvious reasons).

While I do like the idea of using something along these lines; the disadvantage is it limits the contest completely to NeoLemmix. On the other hand, the "use a new feature" one allows SuperLemmini as well (as some of the new features overlap, such as vertical scrolling), and could still include gimmicks as one of the options (as they would count as a "new feature").
My Lemmings projects

Offline Crane

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 01, 2015, 05:05:03 PM »
Sorry to hijack the post, but I got mixed up between IchoToLot's and Nepster's solutions, so the latter's solution was still possible, but he completed my "Part 1" the intended way and loved the solution.  Nevertheless, I've posted a new version of it so it more closely resembles "Part 2" after my change to that level, and also changed the background music.

(Remember, "precarious.lvl" is "Part 2")

P.S. I've cast my bid to the next level design, and any future revisions to this level I'll put into the "Find Backroutes" topic.

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #14 on: February 01, 2015, 05:07:07 PM »
^ On that note, I've reset the poll, and only kept the two most popular options from before.
My Lemmings projects