Author Topic: 2015-01-26 released  (Read 10638 times)

Offline Simon

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Lix
2015-01-26 released
« on: January 27, 2015, 10:31:04 AM »
Hi,

Lix version 2015-02-03 has been released.

Download Lix or read the changelog. There have been many unreleased versions, the new features date back to 2014-07-07's successor version.

There have been physics changes. Test the multiplayer and see whether it's not all broken with all the time limit changes. ;-) If you already have version 2015-01-25 or newer, updating is optional; you will get nice bugfixes if you do.

Clam's levels have been updated. Rubix's multiplayer map updates aren't in yet. Rubix shouldn't take the updated files out of their dirs when making an update archive. Rubix: Please make an archive that I can simply extract over your current maps. :-)

-- Simon
« Last Edit: February 03, 2015, 12:24:10 AM by Simon »

Offline RubiX

• Amiga <3 The memories
    • View Profile
Re: 2015-01-26 released
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2015, 11:21:53 AM »
Ok thanks for the game update.

None of those maps in the small zip file are updates.
Only new maps which don't exist in any of my directories.

Offline Simon

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Lix
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2015, 02:05:31 PM »
And the first bug is found; old replays that choose skills/set RR very early don't play back properly. I'm 99 % sure how to fix it, but I'm not at home right now.

EDIT 2015-01-28: geoo has tried my bugfix and it seems to work well now; we haven't released a bugfixed version yet.

-- Simon
« Last Edit: January 28, 2015, 03:25:25 AM by Simon »

Offline Simon

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Lix
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2015, 03:18:51 AM »
Second bug: Multiplayer games don't end automatically for some players. I've played two games with Giga, both times I nuke first, then he nukes. I get the end-of-game dialog as normal, he doesn't.

EDIT: Fixed this bug, too. The new version is 2015-01-28-01, but it's not relesed yet, either. geoo is invited to pull & compile on Windows once he finds time.

-- Simon
« Last Edit: January 28, 2015, 04:57:47 AM by Simon »

Offline Simon

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Lix
2015-01-28-01 released
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2015, 06:17:58 AM »
Version 2015-01-28-01 is out, with the two bugfixes.

Download Lix. Alternatively, if you already have 2015-01-26 or newer, you can download only the updated lix.exe and overwrite your old one with that.

-- Simon

Offline RubiX

• Amiga <3 The memories
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2015, 11:03:37 AM »
Ok i've moved all my stuff into the newest version.

Noticing when I was looking over some of my old single player replays that few will fail (not that I really care) 
Im just wondering what physics change has caused some to be out of sync, when most will work?

Offline Simon

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Lix
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2015, 11:34:40 AM »
I don't think there have been severe physics changes: The floater has been rewritten, I don't know whether it behaves different. The time limit doesn't nuke anymore. The walker doesn't die anymore from turning at terrain with water behind it.

Maybe there's still a bug with very early replay data, because levels start quicker now.

You can send me the failing replay, I'll examine.

-- Simon

Offline RubiX

• Amiga <3 The memories
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2015, 05:17:14 PM »

After coming home I tried the same stuff from my own computer and they replay'd just as they should with the new version.
No idea why I was seeing multiple maps doing something different which caused the replay to fail being completed.

That is good.

Thanks anyway.

Offline Simon

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Lix
Re: 2015-01-30 released
« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2015, 05:22:14 PM »
Version 2015-01-30 has been released.

No physics updates, so you don't have to update.

This has some bugfixes, read the changelog. In particular, single-clicking the nuke doesn't abort a replay anymore. That has annoyed Proxima to no end, I'm delighted to have found a clean way to fix it.

The tutorial levels are now included. geoo and me have wanted to include them for a year, but my release script has mistakenly deleted them all the time. <_<;

-- Simon

Offline Simon

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Lix
Re: 2015-02-03 released
« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2015, 12:18:19 AM »
Version 2015-02-03 has been released. This is basically the same as 2015-01-30.

If you're a Windows user, I encourage you to download it and test it nonetheless: The executable has been cross-compiled for Windows from my Linux machine. I'd love to hear whether it behaves exactly as the builds before, or whether it has performance issues, hardware responding differently, etc.

The builds before this one have been supplied by geoo. Many thanks to him for being around and compiling the Windows binary whenever I was about to release. Since he's begun using Linux more than Windows, I hope he is good with not having to boot into Windows for me this often anymore. :-) As a valuable tester, graphics set designer, and level pack maintainer, geoo will remain a top dog capybara in the Lix universe.

-- Simon

[edit: unsolicited edit by ccexplore--sorry couldn't resist ;P]
« Last Edit: February 03, 2015, 01:19:11 AM by ccexplore »

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2015, 01:23:57 AM »
I just had a very quick test run of it (just played one single-player level, basically). The only issue I'm noticing is that, even at the highest setting, the mouse speed feels kind of slow. (Though I can't say for sure it wasn't this way before, I don't really remember.)
My Lemmings projects
2D Lemmings: NeoLemmix (engine) | Lemmings Plus Series (level packs) | Doomsday Lemmings (level pack)
3D Lemmings: Loap (engine) | L3DEdit (level / graphics editor) | L3DUtils (replay / etc utility) | Lemmings Plus 3D (level pack)

Offline ccexplore

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 03, 2015, 01:51:07 AM »
I just tried it.  Seems like I'm the only one who uses Lix mostly in windowed mode, but in doing so, I noticed that compare to the 1/28 version, this 1/30 version is displaying an extra console window for me in addition to the normal Lix window.

The mouse speed thing seems to be specifically for the full-screen case.  Unfortunately I can't compare this (ie. 1/30) with the older version since I no longer have the official 1/28 version of the EXE. :XD:

There are also slight differences in terms of which DLL files seem to be present/required by the EXE.  Both have libgcc_s_dw2-1.dll, but the 1/28 version also have allegro-4.4.2-md.dll, libpng3.dll and zlib1.dll, while the 1/30 version only has alleg44.dll.  But as long as the EXE works with their intended set of DLLs it doesn't matter--you get a fairly clear error message for example when you forget to copy over the alleg44.dll, and presence of the "extra" DLLs from the 1/28 version doesn't have any impact to the game.

Other than above, everything else seems to work fine from a quick try, at least in terms of singleplayer stuff.

Offline Proxima

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 03, 2015, 01:56:37 AM »
Seems like I'm the only one who uses Lix mostly in windowed mode
Not at all....

Offline ccexplore

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 03, 2015, 02:13:13 AM »
The mouse speed thing seems to be specifically for the full-screen case.  Unfortunately I can't compare this (ie. 1/30) with the older version since I no longer have the official 1/28 version of the EXE. :XD:

For what it's worth, I just tested my own privately built version as comparison.  It was already sync'ed to changes (from master branch of Simon's repo) up to 1/30 though, so not sure if the comparison would mean much.  In any case, I didn't find any noticeable different in mouse speed between my version and Simon's.  Yes, in both when in fullscreen the mouse feels slower, but both seem about equally slow I think, at least purely in terms of subjective feeling.  (And to be fair, it's still tolerable speed for me, not that I used fullscreen much to begin with.)

The extra console window is definitely unique to Simon's build though.

Offline RubiX

• Amiga <3 The memories
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 03, 2015, 03:57:00 AM »
Nice tutorial maps.  Just played through those.

Offline Simon

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Lix
Re: 2015-01-30 released
« Reply #15 on: February 03, 2015, 05:49:53 AM »
Hi, thanks everyone. :-)

The slow mouse was reported independently by 3 people now, namida and ccx here, plus Ramond in IRC yesterday. All 3 don't use fullscreen regularly, and can't tell for sure whether it's been like that before. You can try these things:
  • Run geoo's build of 2015-01-30 for comparison, extract this into where the normal .exe sits.
  • Make sure you run 2015-02-* with the same global options and user options as the versions before. If you have unzipped the new version over the old one, it's guaranteed to use your old settings. If you have unzipped to a fresh directory, erase the data dir and replace it with the one from your old installation.
  • Go to your user file in data/user/ and set $MOUSE_ACCELERATION 1 instead of 0. I don't like this acceleration at all, but maybe you guys have been used to it. This hidden switch exists since 2014-07-06 with default value 0.
  • Run this testing version 2015-02-03-02. This reverts some of Sekti's mouse code from 2014-07-06. The hidden switch MOUSE_ACCELERATION is still present, try both settings for it.
  • Run this testing version 2015-02-03-03. This still uses Sekti's code, which doesn't seem to be the problem. You can now raise the mouse speed to a maximum of 80, not 40. Also, the ccexplore-described console doesn't open anymore.
  • Set your mouse speed to something higher in the game's options.
I haven't experienced a slow mouse durign fullscreen in Wine.

Quote from: ccexplore
The extra console window is definitely unique to Simon's build though.

There are some linker settings to get rid of that. Otherwise, this extra console is normal on Windows. I will add the settings to the makefile. The test version 2015-02-03-03 above doesn't have the extra console anymore, the relevant linker switches are --subsystem,windows -mwindows.

-- Simon
« Last Edit: February 03, 2015, 08:43:53 AM by Simon »

Offline ccexplore

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 12, 2015, 02:44:46 AM »
I broke down and downloaded the Allegro source code and did some research.  It appears that due to how Allegro handles mouse input in Windows, fundamentally you are all but guaranteed to experience a difference in mouse behavior between windowed and fullscreen mode, especially by default. :XD:

Specifically, on Windows in windowed mode, Allegro gets mouse input through Windows.  This means Window's normal user settings related to mouse speed and acceleration gets applied automatically for you.  On the other hand, in fullscreen mode, Allegro uses the DirectInput APIs to get mouse input basically directly from the mouse driver.  Microsoft's documentations on those APIs clearly states that since it is straight from the driver, the normal user settings (speed and acceleration) are bypassed.  So you are at the mercy of Lix's mouse-handling code to provide the speed factor (whose default apparently seems to be too low for most people on Windows) and acceleration factor (off by default, hidden even), resulting in mouse behavior that feels noticeably slower than "normal" (ie. windowed mode behavior).  Your only recourse is to tweak the Lix settings until it (hopefully) becomes close enough to normal Windows behavior.

While I have no means to test at the moment, I suspect in the "WINE under Linux" setup, WINE likely just takes the underlying mouse data from Linux and bubbles it up directly to applications; in effect there is probably no speed/acceleration factors ever applied by WINE because it expects Linux to have already "normalized" the mouse data accordingly.  If this theory is correct then it is understandable why there would be no difference between fullscreen vs windowed mode under WINE, and perhaps also why when Lix does apply its own speed/acceleration factor it feels "too much" for Simon.  Basically those behaviors that are needed in real Windows to compensate stuff become unnecessary (and hence overcompensation) in Linux+WINE.

Anyway, one thing we might consider is to tweak the default settings for (real-)Windows so it is more likely to be closer to "normal", and then update the code to apply such Windows-specific default settings (extra bonus if there's a way to detect WINE and don't do this since WINE behavior may be totally different).  For now you'll want to tweak the settings yourself as Simon detailed above.  Or just stick with windowed mode (in most people's setup Lix probably doesn't actually occupy the whole screen anyway in "full"screen mode ;P).