Author Topic: Family Feud 2015  (Read 139943 times)

Offline Crane

• View Profile
Re: Family Feud 2015
« Reply #225 on: September 30, 2015, 09:52:52 PM »
I'm starting to miss the "inverse scoring" questions, or the "Pointless" answers as I call them, because it makes you think of something obscure while trying to avoid choosing something that everybody else would choose: e.g. a book from the Chronicles of Narnia series and nearly everyone says "Voyage of the Dawn Treader". Some of those questions were hard. By the way, what's Caecum?

Offline mobius

• relax.
    • View Profile
« Reply #226 on: October 01, 2015, 01:22:34 AM »
8. was hardest imo. I couldn't honestly think of anything and gave an answer which doesn't really fit at all. If anything Leggos work in the opposite way.
But everyone else thought of a good answer!

"magnet" seems like an obvious but sort of unfair answer to question 2...

funny that rocket and bomb came up a few times.

I'm starting to miss the "inverse scoring" questions, or the "Pointless" answers as I call them, because it makes you think of something obscure while trying to avoid choosing something that everybody else would choose: e.g. a book from the Chronicles of Narnia series and nearly everyone says "Voyage of the Dawn Treader". Some of those questions were hard. By the way, what's Caecum?

I miss them a little too. But not the very complicated ones. Just the simple yet, different questions what we started calling "mind game" questions.
everything by me: https://www.lemmingsforums.net/index.php?topic=5982.msg96035#msg96035

"Not knowing how near the truth is, we seek it far away."
-Hakuin Ekaku

"I have seen a heap of trouble in my life, and most of it has never come to pass" - Mark Twain

Offline Quizmaster

• We have asked 100 people...
    • View Profile
« Reply #227 on: October 01, 2015, 02:43:53 PM »
Recently I have been relaxing the subclass rule.  With only 10 players as a high participation rate, I find that splitting answers based on subclass would often lead to results like Q5 or Q6 for a lot more questions.  If anyone feels that I should be more strict on subclasses I will do so in future Feuds.

Interesting, the spellchecker likes 'subclass' but not 'subclasses'!

Offline Quizmaster

• View Profile
« Reply #228 on: October 06, 2015, 02:01:49 PM »
Another round of the Feud is here -  this time with a batch of inverse scoring questions!

Regular scoring questions: (scoring = your answer count/most common answer count)
1. Name a material used to make a plate.
2. Name an ink color found in ball point pens.
3. How many buttons are on your shirt?
4. Name one of the boolean operators.
5. Name something designed to be used backwards when compared to other items similar to it.

Inverse scoring questions: (scoring = least common answer count/your answer count)
6. Name a weapon developed during World War 2.
7. Name one of the four basic mathematical binary operations (addition, subtraction, multiplication, division).
8. Name a character from the Austin Powers movies who is related to the title character.
9. Name a food item that is cooked in a pop-up toaster.

The Metaquestion:
10. The question lists for the August 25th Feud and the recent September 21st Feud were all inspired by a video game.  Guess this game.  Regular scoring will apply with one change: the correct answer will receive a full point no matter how many or how few entries guess that answer.

Offline Quizmaster

• View Profile
« Reply #229 on: October 10, 2015, 02:09:41 PM »
I am sad :(  Only three people have entered so far.

You can make me happy again, all you need to do is submit an entry.  We have had as many as 10 people in a round recently and I know we can hit that mark again!

Offline Quizmaster

• View Profile
« Reply #230 on: October 13, 2015, 05:22:34 PM »
It is still not too late to submit an entry!  I am setting a deadline for Saturday October 17th.

I have had some questions regarding Questions 5 and 8. I'll try to give some clarification.

Q5 "Name something designed to be used backwards when compared to other items similar to it."  A possible good answer can be a tool that does an opposite job of some associated items.  Another potential good answer can be an object which is meant to be installed in an opposite direction or different orientation than other similar objects.

Q8 "Name a character from the Austin Powers movies who is related to the title character."  What I am looking for is a character who was portrayed in at least one of the movies and can be described by some specific family role (brother, sister, spouse, nephew, father, etc).

Offline grams88

• Just one more thing.
    • View Profile
« Reply #231 on: October 13, 2015, 11:59:48 PM »
That's a tricky one Quizmaster but interesting one.

As long as we don't get stuck with that bullying algebra, well actually I quite like the bullying algebra. :) That's what we used to call it. lol

Offline Quizmaster

• View Profile
« Reply #232 on: October 22, 2015, 03:14:26 PM »
This rounds results are finally here!

Regular scoring questions:

1. Name a material used to make a plate.
1 pt - Porcelain - Simon, grams88, geoo, Nepster
1/4 pt - China - Minim
1/4 pt - Plastic - namida

2. Name an ink color found in ball point pens.
1 pt - Blue - namida, Simon, grams88, geoo, Nepster
1/5 pt - Black - Minim

3. How many buttons are on your shirt?
1 pt - 0 buttons - namida, Simon, grams88, geoo, Nepster
1/5 pt - 8 buttons - Minim

4. Name one of the boolean operators.
1 pt - AND - namida, Simon, geoo, Nepster
1/2 pt - OR - Minim, geoo

5. Name something designed to be used backwards when compared to other items similar to it.
1 pt - Staple Remover - namida, Minim
1 pt - Claw Hammer - Simon, geoo
1/2 pt - Wii - grams88
1/2 pt - Palindrome - Nepster

Inverse scoring questions:

6. Name a weapon developed during World War 2.
1 pt - Kaiten Torpedo - Simon
1 pt - Rifle - Minim
1 pt - PIAT Anti-Tank Weapon - geoo
1 pt - Renault R40 Tank - Nepster
1/2 pt - Nuclear Bomb - namida, grams88

7. Name one of the four basic mathematical binary operations (addition, subtraction, multiplication, division).
1 pt - Division - namida
1 pt - Subtraction - Minim
1/4 pt - Addition - Simon, grams88, geoo, Nepster

8. Name a character from the Austin Powers movies who is related to the title character.
1 pt - Austin's Mom - namida
1 pt - Dougie (Dr. Evil), brother - geoo
1/2 pt - Vanessa Kensington, wife - Minim, grams88
1/2 pt - Austin himself - Simon, Nepster

9. Name a food item that is cooked in a pop-up toaster.
1 pt - Crumpets - namida
1 pt - Waffles - Simon
1 pt - Pita Bread - Minim
1 pt - Popup Pizza - geoo
1/2 pt - Toast (burnt or not) - grams88, Nepster

The Metaquestion:

10. The question lists for the August 25th Feud and the recent September 21st Feud were all inspired by a video game.  Guess this game.  Regular scoring will apply with one change: the correct answer will recieve a full point no matter how many or how few entries guess that answer.
1 pt - Lemmings - geoo, Nepster
1/2 pt - Halo - namida
1/2 pt - Fallout - Simon
1/2 pt - Elder Scrolls - Minim
1/2 pt - Duke3D - grams88
Nobody guessed the correct answer: Descent

Final Scores:
namida - 8.25
Simon - 8.25
Minim - 6.15
grams88 - 6.25
geoo - 9.25
Nepster - 7.75
Congratulations to geoo for the win!

Offline Quizmaster

• View Profile
« Reply #233 on: October 23, 2015, 05:07:04 AM »
And without further ado, let's get the next round ready! :) This one's theme is going to be countries.

Regular scoring questions
1. Name a country that uses the Euro as its currency.
2. Name a country that uses any kind of "dollar" as its currency.
3. Name a country that does not have a president.
4. Name a country that produces a lot of electronic goods.
5. Name a country in the southern hemisphere.
6. Name a country that does not have any land borders with other countries.

Inverse scoring questions
7. Name a country that has the Union Jack in their flag.
8. Name a country that shares a land border with Russia. (Russia itself is not a valid answer.)
9. Name a country that has a larger land area than the United States.
10. Name one of the countries in the United Kingdom.

Special scoring questions
Note that these two questions are scored together, not individually.

11. You are planning a holiday in which, over a period of one week, you will visit each of the 7 continents: North America, South America, Europe, Asia, Africa, Oceania, and Antarctica. You will visit one continent per day (let's assume you instantly teleport to the next one at midnight). Decide which order you will visit them in. On each day, you will score 1 point if you are the only person in your chosen continent, 2 points if there is exactly one other person there, half a point if there are exactly two other people there, and no points if there are three or more other people there.
(To avoid doubt, you must visit each continent exactly once; you cannot skip some and double-up on others.)

For example:
A, B and C are all in Africa on day 1, so they gain 0.5 points each.
A and B are in Asia on day 2, while C is in North America. So, A and B gain 2 points each, and C gains 1 point.
A, B, C and D are all in Oceania on day 3. So, they don't gain any points.

12. You have learnt that one of the other users is wanted by the international police during their holiday! The problem is, you don't know exactly who. All you can do is pick a day and a continent, and point the international police in that direction. The international police will investigate three reports per person. All users who are in the reported continent on the reported day will be "spotted" by the international police. Whichever user is spotted the most loses 3 points (if there is a tie, the loss is split evenly), whichever user is spotted the least gains 3 points (again, split if tied). Note that if two users report the same combination, it is only investigated once.

For example:
Day 2 Africa, Day 3 North America and Day 4 Asia are all reported. Perhaps Day 4 Asia is reported twice; but this doesn't matter, as each day/location combination is only checked once.
User A is present in all of these, so has been spotted 3 times.
User B is present in two of these, so has been spotted twice.
User C is not present in any of these, so has not been spotted at all.
Therefore, User A loses 3 points, and User C gains 3 points. User B neither gains nor loses any points.

The score from these two questions, finally, will be adjusted so that the highest gain or loss to the total feud score is 3 points.

I'm not sure if I explained these last two clearly enough, so feel free to ask for clarification.

Edited by namida: Tidied up some mismatched formatting tags.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2015, 10:47:00 AM by namida »

Offline Crane

• View Profile
« Reply #234 on: October 24, 2015, 06:57:52 AM »
I have to protest a bit about the October 6th answers (posted on October 22nd).

- China is porcelain.
- The rifle was not invented during World War II, but the American War of Independence.  A rifle specifically has helical grooves down the barrel (rifling, hence the name) in order to shape the bullet and make it spin in flight, which differentiates it from the musket.  Now, an automatic rifle (i.e. a portable machine gun), on the other hand... yes, that was invented during World War II.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2015, 07:09:18 AM by Crane »

Offline Quizmaster

• View Profile
« Reply #235 on: October 24, 2015, 07:03:09 AM »
New QuizMaster here, so we'll have to wait until the previous host decides to answer that. If they want to keep it anonymous, they can PM me on my normal account.

Offline geoo

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #236 on: October 24, 2015, 10:37:42 AM »
- China is porcelain.
Chinese porcelain is a specific kind of porcelain, so by the subclass rule they should be considered different.

Whichever user is spotted the most loses 3 points (if there is a tie, the loss is split evenly), whichever user is spotted the least gains 3 points (again, split if tied).
3 points it way too much here; whoever wins this round almost certainly wins the whole feud. Unlike question 11, there's no distribution between 0 and 3 points, but a 3 point advantage over everyone else. This question should score at most 1 point, probably even less.

Offline Quizmaster

• View Profile
« Reply #237 on: October 24, 2015, 10:46:06 AM »
That's a good point. I've changed it so the 3 points is gained/lost from the Question 11 score (prior to adjustment so that no more than 3 points can be gained), rather than the feud score directly.

So - now, it might impact who gets a really good or bad score in the special scoring section; but won't have such a strong effect on the feud as a whole.

Offline grams88

• Just one more thing.
    • View Profile
« Reply #238 on: October 25, 2015, 11:55:04 PM »
Looks like someone is going to get caught by the international police.

Offline Quizmaster

• View Profile
« Reply #239 on: October 26, 2015, 02:38:02 AM »
From the previous Quizmaster:

To address Crane's concerns about the October 6 Feud results:

I ultimately decided to split China from Porcelain on two factors. First, a simple internet search of "china vs porcelain" returns a lot of hits describing the differences. Second, I have never heard of a toilet being made from china, just porcelain ones!

I gave "rifle" a pass partly because I used "developed" in the question (developed does not necessarily mean invented) and partly because no one else had submitted "assault rifle" or any other small caliber gun.  If someone had submitted "assault rifle" I probably would have went back and asked for clarity on "rifle".