Author Topic: Level pack topic  (Read 182418 times)

Offline Proxima

• View Profile
Re: Level pack topic
« Reply #435 on: October 10, 2005, 09:20:55 AM »
Quote from: ccexplore (not logged in)  link=1089136533/405#417 date=1128917475
Ok, pass #5.  I know about the general trick for a good while now (and in some ways, everyone who have finished the original Lemmings game know something about it), though I have never thought of applying it to this particular situation until now.

Comments like this always make me curious, because I want to know as many tricks as I can lay hands on for my own levels -- since I still suck at making really difficult ones -- and it's aggravating that I can't look at the level you're referring to. Could you, just in this one instance, tell me what the trick you mention is?

Offline ccexplore

• View Profile
« Reply #436 on: October 10, 2005, 09:32:05 AM »
Ok, I pass level 10, though I'm not sure whether it's the intended solution at all (probably not), since I was lazy and decided to use the same glitch I used for my 1-builder 96% Mayhem 17 solution.  It still sadly ends up being a 90% solution, although it did have a few leftover skills (builders not amongst the leftovers though, as surprising as it might sound to the uninitiated), as well as over a minute of spare time.

Unfortunately for geoo89, I can't tell him how I solve it.  Fortunately for him, I highly doubt anyone else would solve it my way, and my way is probably far harder to execute than whatever geoo89 intended (it took me an hour to get it working).  I do promise to re-solve the level more properly at a later date. ;)

Offline ccexplore

• View Profile
« Reply #437 on: October 10, 2005, 09:34:39 AM »
Quote from: Ahribar  link=1089136533/435#435 date=1128936055
and it's aggravating that I can't look at the level you're referring to. Could you, just in this one instance, tell me what the trick you mention is?

Sure, I'll e-mail you.  As for the level, it's just a modified version of Havoc 5.  Details in e-mail.

Offline ccexplore

• View Profile
« Reply #438 on: October 10, 2005, 01:31:37 PM »
Ok, I solved level 1.  In fact, I got 24/25 on that one.  (Well, I guess it is a simple warm-up.)  I'm rather surprised that I got level 5 before I got level 1.

Offline ccexplore

• View Profile
« Reply #439 on: October 10, 2005, 02:26:23 PM »
Quote from: ccexplore (not logged in)  link=1089136533/405#414 date=1128911420
Ok geoo89, having look at level 1 and vaguely aware of guest's comment on it, I need to ask you something I've never asked anyone before for their levelset:

which levels require glitches (of any sort)?

I no longer need this info, since I'm close to finishing your set at this point anyway.  Earlier I was misled by guest's comment about having to do something weird in level 1 (by my standards it wasn't weird at all).  It looks to me at this point that my worries are misplaced, and my level ideas are safe for the moment.

Offline geoo

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #440 on: October 10, 2005, 05:50:22 PM »
Well, I'm quite surprised seeing 4 pages full of new postings looking up this thread. O_o

At first I want to thank you all for playing my levels and your compliments. It makes me know that I didn't made these levels without a reason. :)

Something I forgot to say: Yes, level 9 should be solved using Custlem2. Therefore the name "mission at maxfall 60". I know that it is actually 63, but that could have caused a little confusion since you'd wonder whether I'd added those three pixels or not. I could have made this level suitable for both Custlemm and Custlem2, but that way I'd have been forced to make this one much longer.
Anyway, I could make a version of the level only working for CustLemm, and if you really want, I do that, but it'd take me once again quite a lot of time since I'd need to re-check everything with the timing.
Also, I have to agree, the SuperLemming mode can make this one a little more annoying. Sorry for that.

Next thing, the name levelpak.dat.
Sorry, my fault. I actually had called it geooPk0.dat, but I put the wrong .dat file into the zip archive. X_X

About levels 1-3 I think I don't need to say too much to for now. Level one I think most of you know now how to do it, level 3 is glich-free, and level 2, I think Shvegait has already said something about it, some tricks, but at all it may get obvious and isn't hard to execute.
As for level 4, yeah, 3 minutes might be a little much, but when I changed this one from the original version I only wanted to make sure to close the old backdoors and changed the design a very little, and forgot about the time.
Level 5, well, Havoc 5 took me very long to solve, and I had tried it starting wrongly many times. I thought it might be possible that way, but it wasn't. I quite liked the way I tried it so I decided to remake it using my way.
Pulling off shouldn't be the problem since there are a few ways to make the important thing easier.
Level 6 is already known for Cheapo, so level 7:
I changed the terrain of this one slightly only short before the release to make it not too hard to pull off.
Though, it might be quite hard to execute still.
I recommend to use pause, and moving the cursor over the lemming while unpausing. This should assign the skill to the lemming.
But it doesn't work everytime unfortunately (at least for me, but I might do it not completely correctly).
As for the look of the exit: I was quite happy when I saw it wasn't too ugly. Anyway, a function to preserve colors for the objects would be nice.
Level 8: @guest, it would be nice if you could send your solution to me. In fact, the solution to this one is one of the few ones not requiring precision at all. For Custlemm, it should be even easier to execute than for Cheapo.
To level 9 I already said quite a lot above; it requires quite a bit of precision due to the SuperLemming mode.
And now to the final level 10: At first, it uses a glitch.
I could imagine Mayhem 17 96% to be solved with only one builder using that glitch, although I don't know whether the rest would be possible to do, at least it'd be very hard to execute I suppose. Anyway, the general idea would make it possible.
One thing against the fact that our solutions are the same is that you needed one hour to pull it off. I need at average about 10 tries to get it working.
I'll PM you to ask whether the glitch you use is the same I use. I'll just give away a general fact about it, so it won't give away too much. And ask you for a brief description of your solution for level 9.
Anyway, as hint for the others: the level name together with the terrain could give a hint. It probably won't help you, but anyway, I gave a hint. ;)

@ccexplore: Now that you know that I use at maximum only one glitch you wanted to use and since it will take me quite a bit of time to make another set (I don't even know whether I'll continue that Cheapo one or make another LemEdit one), you can take your time making your LemEdit levels. However I'd really like to see them asap. As I do for Supaplex, I also like to see new glitches for Lemmings. :)

Offline ccexplore

• View Profile
« Reply #441 on: October 10, 2005, 07:22:35 PM »
Quote from: geoo89  link=1089136533/435#440 date=1128966622
However I'd really like to see them asap. As I do for Supaplex, I also like to see new glitches for Lemmings. :)

I'm glad you're so eager, but I'd probably disappoint you. ;) Your levels are very challenging and it'd be hard for anyone to match. :thumbsup: And for my first set, I haven't really intended to introduce any glitches if at all (and somehow I think you'd probably know about them already anyway.)  I don't think my first set will be as challenging as yours (though that's probably a good thing for the general public), and two of the levels you have already seen a Cheapo remake of.

In any case, I have something more useful to the general public than a mere levelset in the works, so for the next 2-3 weeks or so I'm not going to think about levelmaking too much.  plus, I really need to be finishing Ahribar's MIDIs at some point.

Offline ccexplore

• View Profile
« Reply #442 on: October 10, 2005, 07:30:37 PM »
Anyway, I could make a version of the level only working for CustLemm, and if you really want, I do that, but it'd take me once again quite a lot of time since I'd need to re-check everything with the timing.

I can help you calculate the necessary changes, although it would be a bit of work for me and you'd still want to playtest it at least once.  I'm hoping people would just settle on using CustLem2 instead (or Nocdlem2, for the original music) for that level.

Also, I have to agree, the SuperLemming mode can make this one a little more annoying. Sorry for that.

I guess it's acceptable given that it's the 9th level in the set. ;)

Offline ccexplore

• View Profile
« Reply #443 on: October 10, 2005, 07:38:33 PM »
During a PM with Shvegait, I just realized that the % to save for level 2 is 97% not 98%, so you can actually use 2 bombers in that level, which makes me think a backroute is possible.

I probably won't be able to reveal the backroute to geoo89, but the fix should be relatively easy and I should be able to talk about that.  I do need to test the backroute first though to make sure that it's really possible, and I'll be at work for the next 6 hours so not until then.

Offline Proxima

• View Profile
« Reply #444 on: October 10, 2005, 07:52:35 PM »
Quote from: ccexplore (not logged in)  link=1089136533/435#441 date=1128972155
In any case, I have something more useful to the general public than a mere levelset in the works, so for the next 2-3 weeks or so I'm not going to think about levelmaking too much. &#A0;plus, I really need to be finishing Ahribar's MIDIs at some point.

Whoa........ does that mean you are intending to have them finished within three weeks? That would be wonderful........

Offline ccexplore

• View Profile
« Reply #445 on: October 10, 2005, 08:01:32 PM »
Level 5, well, Havoc 5 took me very long to solve, and I had tried it starting wrongly many times. I thought it might be possible that way, but it wasn't.

Hmm...in the interest of not revealing anything (to others, not you) about the solution, I'll PM you.

One thing against the fact that our solutions are the same is that you needed one hour to pull it off. I need at average about 10 tries to get it working.

It just took practice for me to get the timing right.  Plus there were other places where I screwed up.  I think after the hour session last night, I can now probably reproduce it a little more consistently.

Offline ccexplore

• View Profile
« Reply #446 on: October 10, 2005, 08:07:02 PM »
Quote from: Ahribar  link=1089136533/435#444 date=1128973955
Whoa........ does that mean you are intending to have them finished within three weeks? That would be wonderful........

Sorry, I was actually referring to that other project I e-mailed you about when I talked about the 2-3 weeks (yes, I know I said in e-mail I would finish your MIDIs first, but I'm just a bit giddy now about the other project and wants to split my time between your MIDIs and my project).

Tell you what, I will get at least 2 MIDIs finished in the next 3 weeks.  That should be well within reach.

JM

« Reply #447 on: October 10, 2005, 08:16:31 PM »
ccexplore I'd love to play your Lemedit levels :P

Leviathan

« Reply #448 on: October 10, 2005, 11:26:25 PM »
I've designed a level which requires 2 miner tricks with the same miner :)
One is a trick and one is te miner glitch :)

Names of my new levels:

-Gas distribution facility (named that way because of the many pipes and fire mouth)
-Hang and no life (named after FANL,my favorite level ever,uses the rope-trap and needs to save 100%)
-Trough the breach (you need to breach 2 complete bricks of genuin steel without bombers)
-The golden lem bridge (part 2)
-Hurry up! Go down!! (part 2)

Today my lessons were very boring so I designed nothing less than 6 new level ideas on paper :)

Conway

« Reply #449 on: October 11, 2005, 12:42:26 AM »
Well, I've passed levels 1 and 2 of Geoo's new pack. 2 is awesome, and it combines tricks I like to use in my levels. Level 3 is difficult. I have a theory similar to the trick used in level 1, but it's proving damn near impossible to execute. But I remain hopeful! Perhaps this levelpack isn't so impenetrable after all!

edit: On second thoughts, maybe this trick doesn't work after all, at least not for this level. I was thinking of on the left side, bash a few pixels from the wall and block before he finishes the stroke, so he makes a dent in the wall for others to step in and bash once the blocker is freed. The trouble is that even this isn't high enough when he gets to the ramp. He bashes the base of the ramp and falls through.

Oh well, that's one possibility out the way. I might think more about it tomorrow . . .