Author Topic: Level pack topic  (Read 182402 times)

Re: Level pack topic
« Reply #330 on: September 21, 2005, 05:51:55 AM »
Isupck02 is great. Here are some things that might be interesting to you:

level 10: 100% - Just a backroute. I thought it was pretty easy for a tenth level.

level 2: 100% - Major glitch, allowing a lemming to bash straight through the block.

JM

« Reply #331 on: September 21, 2005, 10:21:46 AM »
Level 4 was easy for me. The scenery was good too. I hope you like JM17.dat

Isupck02 rocks and your comments guest have been interesting to me   :P

Offline Proxima

• View Profile
-
« Reply #332 on: September 21, 2005, 10:40:27 AM »
Quote from: Leviathan  link=1089136533/315#327 date=1127251551
Now my question is,is there a particular level from Genesis that someone wants to see remade for CustLem?
If not I pick a random level of the harder ones,or design a completely new level myself.

"Electric circuit" springs to mind -- partly because it's the one Genesis level that will always be impossible to recreate in Cheapo.

JM

« Reply #333 on: September 21, 2005, 11:04:12 AM »
Why will it be impossible to recreate in Cheapo?

Offline ccexplore

• View Profile
Re: -
« Reply #334 on: September 21, 2005, 01:58:59 PM »
Quote from: Ahribar  link=1089136533/330#332 date=1127299227
"Electric circuit" springs to mind -- partly because it's the one Genesis level that will always be impossible to recreate in Cheapo.

Actually, you may be able to recreate the effect by modifying the terrain slightly to take advantage of the Lemmings-Cheapo difference.  In place of something like this in Lemmings:

X
  XX
XXX

You can get a similar effect in Cheapo with:

X X
  XX
XX

I never looked at the level so this might not be an option there, and the change isn't exactly aesthetic, but it gives you the idea.

Offline Isu

• View Profile
« Reply #335 on: September 21, 2005, 05:31:47 PM »
Quote from: guest  link=1089136533/330#330 date=1127281915
Isupck02 is great. Here are some things that might be interesting to you:

level 10: 100% - Just a backroute. I thought it was pretty easy for a tenth level.

Yar, it's a backroute. The intended solution should use all skills barr the blocker, so therefore 100% shouldn't be possible. This also makes me wonder if the cheapo version is backroute-free too.

Quote from: guest  link=1089136533/330#330 date=1127281915
level 2: 100% - Major glitch, allowing a lemming to bash straight through the block.

What the..? I never knew about this...

Erm... would you mind telling me these backroutes, so that I can... er... fix them?  :P

JM, Level 4 *should* be easy, It's just a boring builder level. Dont ask about the 20%, I was having a bad day. X_X

Offline Proxima

• View Profile
« Reply #336 on: September 21, 2005, 06:08:44 PM »
Quote from: JM  link=1089136533/330#333 date=1127300652
Why will it be impossible to recreate in Cheapo?

Well, ccexplore has pretty much already answered this, but it's because of a game mechanics difference. On Lemmings, if you have a pixel diagonally up and across from the pixel the lemming is on, but a gap right under that pixel, he can't walk up to it; he'll fall into the gap. But on Cheapo he just walks up. (This effect is most noticeable if you've made any levels with the "chain" terrain piece in the Bricks style.) Anyway, the point about "Electric circuit" is that the level has several places where one-pixel-thick diagonal wires cross, so this difference would completely change the gameplay of the level.

JM

« Reply #337 on: September 21, 2005, 06:42:15 PM »
I understand now thanks guys.

I understand why Level 4 is easy now. I like the scenery of the 9th Level. The Crystal graphics rock.

Offline ccexplore

• View Profile
« Reply #338 on: September 21, 2005, 08:32:01 PM »
I'm wondering whether this would work for a Cheapo remake of "Electric Circuits" (I still haven't actually played the level yet, and what you see here is only MS Paint):

(if you don't want to use a magnifying glass, the change is basically from something like this:

X
X
 X
  X
   X
to

XX

XX

X
)

Offline Proxima

• View Profile
« Reply #339 on: September 21, 2005, 08:52:24 PM »
I'm afraid not; for instance, if you look at where the wires cross in the top-left corner just after the trapdoor, imagine the lemmings are coming from the lower left. On your version they'll fall through immediately and reach the lower platform (the one just right of the plus and above another plus); on the actual level they would only fall through at the intersection of the wires, and reach the middle platform.

I expect this could be remedied somehow, but it would probably be impossible to also keep the simple and elegant appearance of the level.

Offline ccexplore

• View Profile
« Reply #340 on: September 21, 2005, 09:34:02 PM »
Quote from: Ahribar  link=1089136533/330#339 date=1127335944
I'm afraid not; for instance, if you look at where the wires cross in the top-left corner just after the trapdoor, imagine the lemmings are coming from the lower left. On your version they'll fall through immediately and reach the lower platform (the one just right of the plus and above another plus); on the actual level they would only fall through at the intersection of the wires, and reach the middle platform.

Are you sure?  Based on the screenshot at http://www.neolemmix.com/levelimg/extra/0217.png, this isn't what the behavior would be in the DOS version (and possibly other versions) of the game, if the level were to exist on other versions.

Coming from the lower left (marked with the '!'), the terrain in question is something like this:

X
  X  X
   XX
   XX
  X  X
! X
XX
The lemming would fall immediately and never reaches the intersection, if this is the DOS version.

In contrast, in Cheapo with the exact swame terrain, the lemming would be able to reach the intersection, but it will also proceed to continue up instead of falling down after going past the intersection.

Offline ccexplore

• View Profile
« Reply #341 on: September 21, 2005, 09:42:06 PM »
Ah, after examining the image more closely in MS Paint, I discovered that some of the pixels only look black, but are actually a very dark shade of blue.

This makes more sense now, so it's actually not true that the original terrrain acts like this:

X
X
X
even though that's what it looks like in the screenshot.

I'll now figure out exactly which pixels are truly black (ie. empty space) and rework the level from there.

Offline ccexplore

• View Profile
« Reply #342 on: September 21, 2005, 09:44:54 PM »
Ooops, nevermind, disregard the post above.

The screenshot's at fault.  Every black pixel shows up as dark blue in MS Paint in the screenshot at deveria.com.

Leviathan

« Reply #343 on: September 21, 2005, 11:27:40 PM »
I tried making the level but it's a pain in the ass to count pixels in Genesis...

I'll try to design it for a later pack,for now I finished my second pack (I have to put the seperate levels in a pack and I'm done)

Level names,in order,are:

-Umbrellas sold out (crystal)
-Splatter bonus (brick)
-Bridge over the Mississippi (roman)
-Tension sheet,good idea (roman)
-Yeah right,you wish! (crystal)
-The Golden Lem Bridge (brick)
-Need more help from above? (brick)
-Water cascade (roman)
-No world without you (pink)
-Ventral maintenance (crystal)

« Reply #344 on: September 22, 2005, 12:11:53 AM »
Quote from: Isu  link=1089136533/330#335 date=1127323907

(level 10: 100%)
Yar, it's a backroute. The intended solution should use all skills barr the blocker, so therefore 100% shouldn't be possible. This also makes me wonder if the cheapo version is backroute-free too.

(level 2: 100%)
What the..? I never knew about this...

Erm... would you mind telling me these backroutes, so that I can... er... fix them?  :P

The level 2 one is just:
1) Make #1 bash when he is next to the block.
2) Watch the amazing result.

I'll email you the level 10 one.