Poll

Which level did you find harder?

Lemmings Plus Omega II, Sharp 18 "Insanity Plea"
3 (50%)
Lemmings Plus Alpha, Obliteration 14 "Wasted Talent"
3 (50%)

Total Members Voted: 6

Author Topic: Lemmings Plus Series  (Read 131278 times)

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
Re: Lemmings Plus Series
« Reply #270 on: July 20, 2021, 09:40:08 PM »
Regarding V12.12 - I do intend to release an update at some point to make use, where suitable, of the automatic screen start position. However, this would be purely a cosmetic update - no levels, and none of my replays, were broken by the 12.12 update.
My Lemmings projects
2D Lemmings: NeoLemmix (engine) | Lemmings Plus Series (level packs) | Doomsday Lemmings (level pack)
3D Lemmings: Loap (engine) | L3DEdit (level / graphics editor) | L3DUtils (replay / etc utility) | Lemmings Plus 3D (level pack)

Offline kaywhyn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #271 on: August 08, 2021, 08:04:02 AM »
Lemmings Plus 3 completed. I have attached my entire replay collection for the pack. I already told you on Discord, but I'll go ahead and link the LP of this pack here: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLbp2m4KlFpJujyg6sVKIzQQCg2Y-x7BeS Enjoy! :P

General Feedback

I really enjoyed this pack. It's definitely harder than either Lemmings Plus 1 and Lemmings Plus 2, although it's still not over the top super hard. That would go to Lemmings Plus V and Lemmings Plus Omega 2, both of which I have yet to play and won't for a while, as there's still the other entries in the series that I need to play first. Nevertheless, there were a lot of challenging levels that were quite satisfying to figure out. In some levels, I definitely made my life harder than I needed to, but a solve is a solve, so I take whatever solution works, even if I made a huge mess of it and resorted to very fiddly stuff :P

While this is the third pack in the series, this is actually the 4th of namida's packs that I've completely solved: LPI, LPII, and now LPIII, and also Lemmings Plus Alpha. As I'm planning to tackle the packs in chronological order, that means Lemmings Plus Holiday will be next, but won't be for a while, as I generally don't LP packs by the same author until at least 2-3 months after the last one from that particular author. I might not even do it until close to the Christmas holiday.

Timid Rank Feedback

Not much to say here other than it's pretty much just X-of-everythings. It is still quite a solid rank with plenty of variety in the puzzles. In particular, the biggest strength of the rank is how the Neolemmix features are introduced. This is the first pack in the series that, while still only using the classic 8 skills, starts using the Neolemmix objects, such as updrafts, buttons, preplaced lemmings, etc. I thought all the levels that introduce them are very well-done. They're fairly simple levels but at the same time aren't completely trivial to solve. To round off the rank is Timid 16 - Locked Out!, which I'm quite certain that I played before in the Recycle Bin pack, though I'm certain that it was much harder than this. Still, this one was a great level to finish the rank.

Dodgy Rank Feedback

Levels are a tad bit harder here, and I surprisingly struggled with a few levels in this rank, as evidenced by how there were some levels that needed more than one video to solve.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Rough Rank Feedback

Levels get even harder here, but I surprisingly didn't have too many problems with this rank.

Fierce Rank Feedback

The entire rank was very slow going for me, but I interestingly didn't struggle as much as I did with the Dodgy rank. The levels in this rank are still very hard, though.

Overall, nice job with this pack. Definitely a step up from your previous two packs, especially LPII. I'm looking forward to playing the rest of your packs in this series, as well as the Omega side entries. Lemmings Plus Holiday is next for me, as I'll be taking on the packs in chronological order. This won't be for a while, as I generally don't LP a pack from the same author until at least 2-3 months have passed since the last pack from that author. I might even wait until around Christmas to start it :P
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCPMqwuqZ206rBWJrUC6wkrA - My YouTube channel and you can also find my playlists of Lemmings level packs that I have LPed
kaywhyn's blog: https://www.lemmingsforums.net/index.php?topic=5363.0

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #272 on: August 12, 2021, 07:26:08 PM »
I'm still watching your LP, and in Dodgy at the moment, so won't read the feedback for the later ranks until I've got past them in the LP.

However, re: Timid:

To round off the rank is Timid 16 - Locked Out!, which I'm quite certain that I played before in the Recycle Bin pack, though I'm certain that it was much harder than this.

The recycle bin had a harder repeat of this level, which was originally from the Lemmings Plus III Bonus Pack. (Said bonus pack contained 7 easier versions of late LPIII levels, 7 harder versions of early LPIII levels, and a bunch of gimmick levels - a couple of which have been adopted back into LPIII, modified into a gimmick-free form, to replace levels that had to be culled.)

In LPIII itself, the only level that gets repeated at any point is Excavation Expedition.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2021, 08:49:26 PM by namida »
My Lemmings projects
2D Lemmings: NeoLemmix (engine) | Lemmings Plus Series (level packs) | Doomsday Lemmings (level pack)
3D Lemmings: Loap (engine) | L3DEdit (level / graphics editor) | L3DUtils (replay / etc utility) | Lemmings Plus 3D (level pack)

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #273 on: August 13, 2021, 10:58:54 PM »
Watched through Dodgy (and most, but not all yet, of Rough). Yeah, Flag Games is usually one of those levels that catches most players out - you're not even close to alone there.

Dodgy 7 - Experimental Materials Easy one. I like how there's a wall with arrows going in 3 different directions. Perhaps you should had added up OWAs as well :P
They didn't exist yet at this time (as there was really nothing that could destroy them other than bombers - none of the new skills existed yet at the time of LPIII, and the first one that destroyed terrain upwards - the Fencer - came years after the first batch).
My Lemmings projects

Offline kaywhyn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #274 on: August 14, 2021, 07:28:15 AM »
Thanks for the remarks. I'm glad to hear that you're continuing to enjoy my LP of LPIII very much :)

To round off the rank is Timid 16 - Locked Out!, which I'm quite certain that I played before in the Recycle Bin pack, though I'm certain that it was much harder than this.

The recycle bin had a harder repeat of this level, which was originally from the Lemmings Plus III Bonus Pack.

I remembered right, then. When I played Timid 16 in LPIII, I was thinking in my mind I remember the skillset being far more restrictive than that in the version I played from the Recycle Bin pack. It looks like I simply played the harder repeat of Timid 16 from there. One thing I'm not sure about is if all the LPIII levels in the Recycle Bin pack are all the ones that used to be in either the LPIII main pack or the LPIII Bonus pack and therefore I didn't miss anything in LPIII's current state at all by playing through the Recycle Bin pack.

Watched through Dodgy (and most, but not all yet, of Rough). Yeah, Flag Games is usually one of those levels that catches most players out - you're not even close to alone there.

I think I can see why for Dodgy 14. What about "The Duck Level"? I found that level hard as you have seen in the LP. Interestingly, I didn't have as many problems with the Rough rank, before struggling again greatly with the Fierce rank in general.

Dodgy 7 - Experimental Materials Easy one. I like how there's a wall with arrows going in 3 different directions. Perhaps you should had added up OWAs as well :P
They didn't exist yet at this time (as there was really nothing that could destroy them other than bombers - none of the new skills existed yet at the time of LPIII, and the first one that destroyed terrain upwards - the Fencer - came years after the first batch).

Yea, you're right. It's very easy for me to forget NL's very extensive history, particularly since I came long after very Old Formats NL, and I think I came at just about the time when NL was just about to transition into New Formats
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCPMqwuqZ206rBWJrUC6wkrA - My YouTube channel and you can also find my playlists of Lemmings level packs that I have LPed

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #275 on: August 15, 2021, 03:44:50 AM »
Finished watching the LP now. Well done! :) I was very surprised how quick you solved Fierce 9; that one took a long time after LPIII's release before anyone solved it.

Holiday Lemmings Plus should be a very, very short LP - maybe even a single video. ;)
My Lemmings projects

Offline kaywhyn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #276 on: August 15, 2021, 05:40:15 AM »
Finished watching the LP now. Well done! :)

Nice job and thanks for watching! :) I'm glad you enjoyed it a lot. Also, thanks for posting your remarks/feedback on the LP here. I always like reading the pack author's feedback on the LPer's thoughts/solutions, and putting it here is a great way to preserve it and to look back on at times ;)

I was very surprised how quick you solved Fierce 9; that one took a long time after LPIII's release before anyone solved it.

I looked through the LPIII topic for Old Formats, and like you I didn't think Fierce 9 (Fierce 8 in Old Formats) was that hard, so I'm surprised that even people like Nepster found it hard. I don't know if it's simply due to all the experience I have gained from the many level packs I have solved (I've solved so many packs in between the time I LPed LPII and LPIII), but here the only hard part is just simply getting the timing correct, as I think the solution itself is somewhat obvious. Even then, as you have seen there's some tricks that still manage to catch me off guard, such as in "Flag Games." The funny thing was that I played a Lemmings Destination level that required this, yet it still took me a very long time to see it here even though I played that level a few weeks before I started LPing LPIII. So, yes, experience from playing many level packs absolutely helps in learning these tricks, but it doesn't mean that applying these tricks will be "automatic" in other level packs.

Holiday Lemmings Plus should be a very, very short LP - maybe even a single video. ;)

Since Holiday Lemmings Plus is a very short pack, I'll likely do Omega right away after finishing it. 

Offline Proxima

• View Profile
« Reply #277 on: September 15, 2021, 10:33:14 PM »
I solved all the levels.

Offline kaywhyn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #278 on: December 06, 2021, 05:31:29 AM »
Holiday Lemmings Plus completed. Replays attached. Also, namida has told me he's already watched my LP of it, but just in case anyone else here wants to watch it, here's the link: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLbp2m4KlFpJuIYQH_Iw_JVK6HSeTgH8vw. Enjoy! And yes, when you click the link there is indeed only 1 video :P That's how quickly I solved the pack.

This is also the first pack to start using NL skills, but if you ignore this, then Lemmings Plus Omega is the first entry to start using NL skills.

General Feedback

This is the smallest pack in all of the Plus series, being only 12 levels long. Even then, it's not an easy pack throughout. The Glitter rank should essentially pose little to no problems for anyone, as they are easy X-of-everythings. Even the Arctic rank itself isn't much harder than the Glitter rank, except for 2, possibly 3, levels in it. I still enjoyed the pack very much despite its very short length, if only for the fact to ring in the holidays early, being 20 days away from Christmas. All the music is Christmas tunes.

Glitter Rank Feedback

All the levels in this rank are X-of-everythings. In addition, the save requirement is very lenient for all of them. Thus, these levels will likely present little to no problems for anyone. Therefore, there's nothing to really say here, other than I would say the hardest levels are probably the last 3, Glitter 4, Glitter 5, and Glitter 6. They're still not very hard thanks to the very wide skillsets, rather I mean relatively speaking to the other levels in the rank, hence they're appropriately placed as the final levels.

Arctic Rank Feedback

Only a slight step up in difficulty for the most part, so should still be quite manageable. However, the hardest levels in the rank are definitely Arctic 4 - Miracle Drop and Arctic 5 - Dream Parade. These two levels took me a while to figure out, although my solution to the latter is very different from namida's intended solution and is quite a hackish/backroutish one :P The former reminds me of Psycho 8 from Lemming Plus 1. The hardest part is figuring out how to get down safely from a very high place when you don't even have floaters, gliders, or swimmers.

Arctic 3 - 23:58 12/24 I really like the title here, and I believe it's a reference to the Holiday Lemmings level 2 minutes before midnight if I'm not mistaken or misremembering a level with some other title. Even more, it's also 2 minutes before Christmas Day. This also has the potential to be difficult, but in the end I severely backrouted the level :P I at one point went the intended route, but I couldn't find a way to get it to work.

Despite the short length, I still enjoyed this pack as mentioned before. Thank you namida for this pack. Great way to ring in the holidays early. Glad to hear you've enjoyed my LP of another pack of yours.

I'm currently in the process of LPing Lemmings Plus Omega. I'm currently 54 levels into it, so almost halfway already after two videos. I will likely post replays to LPO after finishing the Puzzling rank and then another time each for the final two ranks.     

Offline kaywhyn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #279 on: December 06, 2021, 11:58:18 AM »
Finished the first two ranks of LPO. Replays attached. Also, the link to my LP of the pack: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLbp2m4KlFpJvCbPPPTjHGIiPMl7vVy4Lm. Enjoy! :P

General Feedback

If Holiday Lemmings Plus is ignored, then LPO is the first pack of the series to use the NL skills. Due to this, they have really showed me that they really add variety to the puzzles for the game in combination with the classic 8 skills. Even then, I'm still a diehard fan of the classic mode of the game: classic 8 skills, time limits on every level, etc. However, I will admit that LPO has definitely opened my eyes to the limitless possibilities of puzzles with the addition of the NL exclusive skills. There's a huge amount of diversity in the puzzles here, and I think that's the reason I've been enjoying the pack a lot even in the very early stages of Breezy despite the X-of-everythings. In contrast, it got quite boring with LPI and LPII, with the former after about the 3rd rank or so, while for the latter after maybe close to the end of the first rank or beginning of the second rank.

The pack has the exact same structure as the OL, in that there are 4 ranks of 30 levels each. Hence, what I expect is that the difficulty should more or less follow the same flow, where the pack is quite easy for the most part, probably up until halfway through the second rank and then it will probably only get harder from there. It definitely felt great to be plowing through so many levels very quickly, the first in a while that this has happened for me. Yes, I love playing and solving hard levels, as those are the types I like the most, but I welcome levels of any difficulties. Easy levels are certainly no exception, and are certainly a very welcome sight for me after playing nothing but medium and higher difficulty levels for so long.

Breezy Rank Feedback

Not much to say about this rank other than the rank starts off with several tutorial levels on the NL skills, and then pretty much the rest of the rank are easy X-of-everythings, with the occasional level where you have the same amount of every skill except for one skill where you only have 1 or some quantity that doesn't match the others. Thus, I breezed through the rank very quickly. Here, my favorite of the rank would have to be Breezy 22 - Swap Magic

Puzzling Rank Feedback

The difficulty is only a bit higher than in the previous rank, and there's still a lot of X-of-everythings, although it's not an entire rank full of it. Still a lot of really good diversity and variety in the puzzles here! We already get the very first repeat with Puzzling 7 - More Than Just A Dream, though the once per rank level already appears at Puzzling 6 - Traptastic!.

My favorites of the rank: Puzzling 5 - Listen To Your Lemming, Puzzling 13 - The Martian Lake Beast (especially the design here, wow!), Puzzling 15 - Pass The Lemming, Please and Puzzling 23 - Eco-Friendly Lemmings.

Hardest levels of the rank IMO: Puzzling 10 - A Little Bit Of A Lemming (it's not a hard level, but I can see how the inverted teleporter can throw newbies off), Puzzling 17 - Can Your Lemming Do This?, Puzzling 19 - A Split Task, Puzzling 21 - The Lower Branch, Puzzling 24 - I Swear Upon A Lemming, and Puzzling 26 - The Castle Towers. Puzzling 24 was especially a very hard one, so I would say that's the hardest one of the entire rank. All the other levels listed aren't as hard, but they're still challenging.

Finally, Puzzling 30 - Drop Them Lems is the biggest offender of the rank for giving the appearance of a very daunting level due to the sheer tallness of the level. However, the save requirement of 1 might be very surprising. It's actually quite easy to save everyone. The hardest part is just getting to all the buttons scattered all over the level.

I'm enjoying this pack a lot! :thumbsup: I've already managed to finish a little over half the Perplexing rank, so it seems that this LP will be done pretty soon as well, barring any level(s) that really stumps me here. I will post more replays/feedback after I finish the rank, and then one final time after I finish the final rank.

Offline kaywhyn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #280 on: December 07, 2021, 10:07:19 AM »
Perplexing rank completely solved. More replays attached and also more feedback.

Perplexing Rank Feedback

Due to the pack having a similar structure to the OL with 4 ranks of 30 levels each, I expected this rank to be about Taxing difficulty. However, many of the levels here are a big step up in difficulty, so some of these could even be early Mayhem difficulty. Sure, the Taxing rank was where things started getting dicey in the OL, but a lot of them were still quite manageable for the most part. Here, for the Perplexing rank, solving times slowed considerably. However, I was able to get through each level of the rank in just one video. Even then, it still took longer than the previous two ranks.

Enjoying this pack very much after 3 ranks. I'm currently halfway through the Mental rank already, so this pack might be finished in a few more videos. We'll see! Perhaps there'll be some real stumpers near the very end of the rank. 

Offline MASTER-88

• Professional lemmings player and videogame master
    • View Profile
« Reply #281 on: December 12, 2021, 12:14:09 AM »
26 Oblivion 18/20

Psycho 26 Oblivion. I got 19/20 saved. Its might new record or this page is not updated for while

Replay video with my camera. Bad quality but idea were simple.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=efTfIocBW6w
Video games player.
See my youtube: Several games videos includes lemmings
http://www.youtube.com/user/metroidmaster88?feature=mhum

My Huge Lemmings Projects

Lemmings Custom + Triology 394 Levels
Custom +1 (120 Levels)
https://www.lemmingsforums.net/index.php?topic=5840.0
Custom +2 (124 Levels)
https://www.lemmingsforums.net/index.php?topic=5993.0
Custom +3 (150 Levels)
https://www.lemmingsforums.net/index.php?topic=6014.0
Amiga Classic Special (30 Levels)
https://www.lemmingsforums.net/index.php?topic=6345.0

My SNES Lemmings MAX Points Project
https://www.lemmingsforums.net/index.php?topic=4539.0

Offline kaywhyn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #282 on: December 14, 2021, 11:34:30 AM »
Mental rank solved and hence I have solved all of LPO. My entire replay collection is attached.

Mental Rank Feedback

As this is the final rank of the pack, the difficulty would essentially be the equivalent of the Mayhem rank and then some. I didn't think it was that bad, especially since a lot of the levels in the rank are repeats. Really the only hard level that I struggled with greatly was Mental 16, which was the first and only level in the entire pack that needed some off-camera time to get solved, as I wasn't able to get it solved after two videos. I was so close to getting the entire pack solved without a level needed multiple videos to get solved! :sick:

Overall, I really enjoyed this pack very much despite it being on the easier side. This pack really opened up my eyes to limitless possibilities in the diversity and variety of the puzzles when you are allowed NL skills instead of just limiting oneself to the classic 8 skills. Even then, I'm still a diehard fan of classic lemmings, i.e, classic 8 skills, time limits on every level, etc. However, I've now used NL for a little over two years now, and I got to say I'm definitely quite used to the controls and the QoL features by now: framestepping, skill shadows, time skips, etc.

I look forward to tackling the remainder of the Lemmings Plus entries, especially LPOII, although that one has me a bit worried. Even then, I'm willing to rise up to the challenge for when I eventually get to it, and will do my best in my LP of it and see how far I can get. I did, after all, get through my entire LP of Uncharted, even though I thought I would eventually crumble under the difficulty. It's still going to be a while, as I still need to get through LPIV and LPV first, since I'm tackling the packs in chronological order rather than by order from easy to hard difficulty.

Thanks again for LPO, namida! :thumbsup:

Offline Swerdis

• View Profile
« Reply #283 on: March 27, 2022, 11:56:13 AM »
Hello Namida,

I am currently playing through Lemmings Plus Omega and I'm stuck at a level called "Stormy Ascent" which is in Mental-rank, Number 9. Now I realized that I unintentionally play an outdated version of this pack and this level has been substituted by a different one.

My two questions:
1. I found out that Puzzling 5 ("No Rush") has also been replaced. Are there any other levels that either don't exist anymore in the latest version or have been reworked or have different skillsets now?

2. What's the reason for discarding "Stormy Ascent"?

Thank you, Swerdis.

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #284 on: March 28, 2022, 07:20:39 AM »
1. I found out that Puzzling 5 ("No Rush") has also been replaced. Are there any other levels that either don't exist anymore in the latest version or have been reworked or have different skillsets now?
From memory, the one other level that's been replaced is later in Mental; there was a level titled "Splittin' Like Crazy", which was replaced with (originally a contest entry) "The Embiggening Of The Cromulent".

2. What's the reason for discarding "Stormy Ascent"?
Physics changes broke the official (and probably most others, too) replay, and the level was annoying as hell anyway, so I figured I'd rather just get rid of it. Especially since I got a pretty good idea for a level to replace it. ;) (Unlike Embiggening, which was repurposed; Codependency was a completely original made-to-replace level.)
My Lemmings projects