Poll

Which level did you find harder?

Lemmings Plus Omega II, Sharp 18 "Insanity Plea"
3 (50%)
Lemmings Plus Alpha, Obliteration 14 "Wasted Talent"
3 (50%)

Total Members Voted: 6

Author Topic: Lemmings Plus Series  (Read 131298 times)

Offline Armani

• :D
    • View Profile
Re: Lemmings Plus Series
« Reply #240 on: July 28, 2020, 11:11:20 AM »
Fianlly played some LP levels. :D
Here're replays and some comments for LP Alpha.

Some notable backroutes :
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Levels I really like and enjoyed :

I'll be back with LP omega next time. ;)
My newest Neolemmix level pack : Lemmings Halloween 2023 :D 8-)

About Armani: Armani's Blog
My NL level packs(in chronological order):
  Lemmings Uncharted [Medium~Extreme]
  Xmas Lemmings 2021 [Easy~Very Hard]
  Lemmings Halloween 2023 [Easy-Very Hard]

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #241 on: July 28, 2020, 07:53:07 PM »
I'll look through your replays later, but regarding your comments,

First, I'll note that LPA is not being updated anymore (except for compatibility). So any backroutes at this point will most likely remain as is. (I say "most likely" because there have occasionally been cases where I've fixed a backroute in a long-dead pack, but it's not common. It usually has to be a level I really, really like, or else a level where a NL change has broken the intended solution so it needed changes anyway.)

With that being said - Mastery Of Malice is somewhat open (there are several known solutions, at least, some of which do save more than required, although the leftover basher sounds interesting). The other three were probably the three most problematic levels, backroute-wise, in the pack. And yes, it's very possible you might have had leftover skills on other levels - some have multiple solutions, and it is also somewhat common, if doing so doesn't lead to backroutes, for my levels to have some skills that are entirely decoys.

With regards to Obl 13 not being nominated for LOTY - in general, I didn't expect LPA to have much success there. LPA is a very hard pack, and so it doesn't appeal to everyone - and LOTY needs levels that appeal to, if not everyone, at least a very large portion of the player base. It's more a specialized pack aimed at the really high-level players (though of course, anyone is welcome to try it).
My Lemmings projects
2D Lemmings: NeoLemmix (engine) | Lemmings Plus Series (level packs) | Doomsday Lemmings (level pack)
3D Lemmings: Loap (engine) | L3DEdit (level / graphics editor) | L3DUtils (replay / etc utility) | Lemmings Plus 3D (level pack)

Offline Armani

• View Profile
« Reply #242 on: September 08, 2020, 07:37:21 AM »
And, just finished LP Omega2.
Yes, It was really nice and enjoyable pack.:thumbsup:
I actually finished the pack long ago except for talisman of 'Sharp19 Struck Out' (Complete in under 2:30)
My solution always took about 20~30 seconds more than the talisman requirement.
Today I came up with totally different approach on that level and finally achieve this one last talisman.
My solution have a digger left and took 30 seconds less than the talisman requirement so I think this is not 100% intended but at least I think I got the main trick.

(maybe)Backroute candidates :
Spiky2 The Space Bar : I have a blocker left. I can see what the intended solution looks like. I used the trick I learned in one of the LP alpha level(bending the rules), so I was able to separate a second pioneer lemming without a blocker.
Sharp10 Sweet Tooth : I solved it without any climber.
Sharp16 Lemmings Mangler : I didn't use upper route at all and saved 13 lemmings more than required.

My highlights of the pack :
Coarse5 Tactical drops : It is possible to make non trivial level without any skill??? :lem-shocked: It's definitely a genius level with brilliant idea. :thumbsup:
Sharp1 Odyssey : A single lemming explore the huge map. :thumbsup: I think when to assign a climber was the main puzzle + one last bomber to drop him directly to the exit.
Sharp18 Insanity Plea : Probably the most difficult level of the pack. Separating the first pioneer lemming was easy but I need to send two  more worker lemming after quite a while and this was the most difficult point. 

I haven't decided which pack to play after Omega2.
I'm thinking of 3 or 5.. let's see

Offline ericderkovits

• View Profile
« Reply #243 on: September 18, 2020, 07:27:49 PM »
I just noticed in your lemmings Plus 5 pack, 1 level (outrageous 11-Relentless) wasn't playing any music. It was listed in the editor as machine2. But I noticed you keep them in folders for each pack
(ie Lemmings_Plus_V) so in the editor I resaved it as Lemmings_Plus_V/machine2 instead of just machine2). I did this for both the individual Lemming_V pack and the whole series upload for
the Lemmings V one.

Maybe this should be fixed so when one plays Lemmings Plus V whether in the single pack or the series, one will hear the music for that level(Outrageous 11-Relentless).

Thanks!!!

UPDATE: level 14 also no music (Outrageous 14). in this level you didn't even list which music is was supposed to play. the music field is blank in the editor.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2020, 07:49:19 PM by ericderkovits »

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #244 on: September 18, 2020, 10:48:48 PM »
Outrageous 11 is a mistake, yeah, I'll fix that next time I'm doing an update on the pack. Outrageous 14 is intended to have no music.
My Lemmings projects
2D Lemmings: NeoLemmix (engine) | Lemmings Plus Series (level packs) | Doomsday Lemmings (level pack)
3D Lemmings: Loap (engine) | L3DEdit (level / graphics editor) | L3DUtils (replay / etc utility) | Lemmings Plus 3D (level pack)

Online kaywhyn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #245 on: September 19, 2020, 09:09:21 AM »
After getting myself unstuck from Mutilation 2 a few days ago, I managed to solve every level of Lemmings Plus Alpha except for Obliteration 14. Well, I saved a successful replay of Obliteration 15, but I exited before the level finished just because normally I don't skip around to other levels until I beat the level I'm stuck on first. I did all this without reading your hints or consulting any video solution. I did both of those only after I have beaten the level myself first. There's just something about Obliteration 14 that I'm just not seeing. Either I'm an idiot and I'm missing something obvious, or it's supposed to be really hard. I'm so close to officially saying that Lemmings Plus Alpha is namida's very first pack I have beaten on NL. Obliteration 14 is preventing me from saying that. Also, technically Lemmings Plus 1 is the first pack of namida's I have completed, but I did that on Dos, not NL. There's two levels in there that I haven't managed to solve that I know the solutions to, but in the Dos engine they're extremely difficult and annoying to pull off. One of the levels was replaced with a different one in later versions.

I will send my replays and give more detailed feedback on the levels and the pack as soon as I can beat Oblieration 14 the next time I post. I'm almost tempted to peek at the hint, but I'm resisting the urge. If there's supposed to be a trick required to solve this level, I'm not aware of any that needs to be used given the skillset and also there doesn't seem to be any easy setup given the terrain. It's probably just a standard puzzle with a really clever solution that I have yet to spot.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCPMqwuqZ206rBWJrUC6wkrA - My YouTube channel and you can also find my playlists of Lemmings level packs that I have LPed
kaywhyn's blog: https://www.lemmingsforums.net/index.php?topic=5363.0

Online kaywhyn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #246 on: September 20, 2020, 07:26:23 AM »
And, Obliteration 14 finally solved, as well as Obliteration 15, and thus I have officially completed Lemmings Plus Alpha, the very first of namida's pack that I have beaten in NL, all without reading the hints or viewing any replays before I have beaten the levels myself first. My entire set of replays are attached. Turns out the solution that I had in mind for Obliteration 14 was almost correct but I was

Feedback on the levels:

Mutilation (click to show/hide)

Decimation (click to show/hide)

Obliteration (click to show/hide)

Some remarks on the pack:

As I mentioned previously, I solved all the levels in the pack without reading your hints or viewing any replays. I did all of United similarly. Just a personal preference of mine, as I prefer the satisfaction of figuring out the levels myself first before doing so. So, this means I will stay stuck for however long it takes until I finally figure out the solution.

Truthfully, this pack didn't stump me as much as I thought it would. Sure, there were some really hard levels in there, but I coasted through the pack much faster than I thought I would. In contrast, I'm struggling with Nepsterlems way more despite many of the levels also being small in size and using only the 8 classical skills.

Lemmings Plus Alpha is a very difficult pack, but in my opinion is nowhere near as brutal as Lemmings United or Nepsterlems. Perhaps the main reason I breezed through your pack easily is due to how I just recently finished the former pack and now just need to go back and resolve some levels that got backroute patched in the most recent update. For me, the hardest levels in Mutilation were 13 - Mini Mayhem and Mutilation 15 - Snow Place Like Home. For Decimation, the hardest levels for me were Decimation 9 Return to Gemland, Decimation 11 - Caving Under Pressure, and Decimation 15 - The Longest Minute. Finally, for Obliteration, the hardest levels for me were Obliteration 5 - Blessed by a Curse, Obliteration 8 - Lemmings and Lemmings Accessories, and most certainly Obliteration 14 - Wasted Talent, the latter which took me the longest out of all the other levels in the rank and the entire pack.

Obliteration 14 and Obliteration 15 should definitely switch places, as the former is much harder than the latter, which I thought was really easy for the final level of the pack. Instead, the most difficult part of Obliteration 15 is the execution timing-wise. Additionally, the other two rank finishers are much harder than Obliteration 15.

Overall, nice job with creating your most difficult pack. Besides Lemmings Plus 1 for Dos and Lemmings Plus Alpha, I haven't played any of the other Plus or Omega packs of the series, but they're certainly on my to-play list. Since I managed to beat your most difficult pack, I doubt I'll get very stuck on any of your other packs, but of course that remains to be seen.   
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCPMqwuqZ206rBWJrUC6wkrA - My YouTube channel and you can also find my playlists of Lemmings level packs that I have LPed

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #247 on: September 21, 2020, 07:00:15 PM »
I'll look at your replays later. From your comments alone, a few do sound like backroutes. Mutilation 14, Decimation 10 and 13 and Obliteration 10 were particularly notorious for backroutes during testing. M14 and D10 in particular I gave up on trying to fix; in D10's case bumping it down from a later position to reflect the easier routes that existed. On the other hand, Decimation 8 does have multiple solutions.

I would note that I'm no longer fixing backroutes in any existing packs at any rate. This is just how I approach pack creation - after a while, I consider it "set in stone" and will only generally make changes for compatibility with newer NL versions.

Overall, nice job with creating your most difficult pack. Besides Lemmings Plus 1 for Dos and Lemmings Plus Alpha, I haven't played any of the other Plus or Omega packs of the series, but they're certainly on my to-play list. Since I managed to beat your most difficult pack, I doubt I'll get very stuck on any of your other packs, but of course that remains to be seen.

Lemmings Plus Omega 2 is a similar difficulty to Alpha towards the end; but the rest are a fair bit easier. In one case, Lemmings Plus VI, this was an intentional decision to make a slightly easier pack; in the rest it was more "I haven't got to my nastiest yet".

Also - re: your feedback about Obliteration 15's difficulty vs Obliteration 14's, this is normal for how I create my packs. The final level is almost never (intended to be) the hardest. The only exceptions to this were Lemmings Plus III and Holiday Lemmings Plus, where the final level was intended to be the hardest, though whether that actually happened or not is quite subjective. In all other cases, it's usually the 2nd- or 3rd- to-last level that's (meant to be) the hardest.
My Lemmings projects

Online kaywhyn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #248 on: September 22, 2020, 03:02:56 AM »
Lemmings Plus Omega 2 is a similar difficulty to Alpha towards the end; but the rest are a fair bit easier. In one case, Lemmings Plus VI, this was an intentional decision to make a slightly easier pack; in the rest it was more "I haven't got to my nastiest yet".

Thanks for the info. I'll probably end up doing Omega 2 after I do the other Plus packs and Omega 1 first.

Also - re: your feedback about Obliteration 15's difficulty vs Obliteration 14's, this is normal for how I create my packs. The final level is almost never (intended to be) the hardest. The only exceptions to this were Lemmings Plus III and Holiday Lemmings Plus, where the final level was intended to be the hardest, though whether that actually happened or not is quite subjective. In all other cases, it's usually the 2nd- or 3rd- to-last level that's (meant to be) the hardest.

True, it's akin to the original game, where the penultimate level is much harder than the final level. By extension, there's also no need to make either of the last two levels really hard either. The level pack author could had chosen any of the levels in the final stretch to take the place of a really hard level instead.

Thanks for responding to my feedback. You're more than welcome to post in my other topic in the Lemmings Main board as well regarding the feedback I've given, although I will note it's probably a bit too early to do so, considering that LPA is so far the only pack of yours that I have sent replays and given you feedback for. Let's wait until I have finished a much larger pack by you first. Then you can tell me if my feedback has been helpful even though you're at the point where you're mostly just ensuring compatibility with the newer NL versions.

Online kaywhyn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #249 on: September 22, 2020, 08:01:37 PM »
Also, I forgot to mention that the stats for a lot of the level images on the NL website are wrong. It's not just your packs, though. I've noticed that some of it is wrong with other packs too, like Mazulems. I'm not sure if it's just me, but for some reason diggers are not shown in the images for levels that do provide diggers. Other than this, some levels don't have the right stats. One instance is your swimmer tutorial level from your tutorial pack, where the image shows shimmiers instead of swimmers in the skillbar. I do understand that the images haven't been updated on the site in a really long time, as well as that it probably wasn't you, since the images just happened to show the wrong stuff for some reason when they were uploaded.

Offline ericderkovits

• View Profile
« Reply #250 on: September 28, 2020, 06:17:46 PM »
ok, I finished putting the replays together for the Compressed pack LP series.(they came from other LP packs)

These are the same replays posted from the individual LP packs. Just the board didn't have them posted for the Compressed Pack. The replays also have all the replays for each level including Talismans(if any) and alternate ones or ones by other people (Ie like in LP VI)

EDIT: I've added the official 5 LP Alpha level replays to the Compressed Pack that Namida added to the pack (12.10-A)
« Last Edit: November 15, 2020, 11:46:14 PM by ericderkovits »

Offline Armani

• View Profile
« Reply #251 on: November 02, 2020, 03:56:41 AM »
Here are my best record replays to the final level of LP5.

Shortest time : 10m13s (where the talisman condition is 12m30s)
Fewest skills : 23skills (where the talisman condition is 26skills)

I've only completed first 3 ranks so far. But I just wanted to play epic final level of the LP5 as soon as possible.. so. ;)
« Last Edit: November 02, 2020, 04:04:59 AM by Armani »

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #252 on: November 14, 2020, 03:56:30 AM »
Uploaded V12.10-A updates of all packs. These are just graphical updates to fit with V12.10's new menu design - except for Lemmings Plus Compressed, which now includes five levels from Lemmings Plus Alpha.

LPA Levels in Compressed (click to show/hide)
My Lemmings projects

Online kaywhyn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #253 on: December 01, 2020, 08:58:16 PM »
All rightie, first 7 ranks completely solved. Find my replays from LPI 1 through LPIII Others 29 attached. Also, I have attached the .nxp file for anyone who wants to play namdia's pack, as the download I had had two levels that crashed the game, the very first level and Step 9, level 6. This new .nxp that I rebuilt with FlexiTool fixes those problems, and I can confirm that the entire pack loads each level without crashing. Make sure you have v1.43 of the NL player to open it. This is the very first time I have ever used FlexiTool, but luckily it wasn't too bad, as everything was already sorted out and compiled, and all I did to fix the problems was replace the first level with a working copy from the Lemmings Level Database and added in the xghostsign.dat file before rebuilding the .nxp. No changes to any of the levels were made.

@namida Feel free to move this post if you feel it's more appropriate to. Though I agree with you that I should post my replays in the Lemmings Plus series topic, the only problem is due to how this is for very Old Formats, i.e, v1.43, while this topic is for New Formats.

Remarks on the Pack So Far

As there are various gimmicks present, this pack is compatible with v1.43 only. This pack is a collection of rejected levels from namida's various Lemmings Plus series, mostly from Lemmings Plus 1, 2, 3, and Omega series, as well as DDL2 and the NL Introduction pack for very Old Formats. There are 10 ranks total. In the case of 2 and 3, they are mostly repeats and levels from the Bonus packs for them.

In the 7 ranks I have played so far, I can confirm that all levels are solvable except for two from the LPIII Gimmicks rank, which is Step 6 in the game. The two broken levels are Step 6 21 - Turbulent Affairs and Step 6 28 - The Lazy Streak. I have attached a solution for both if direct drop worked. These don't work due to the mechanic they both relied on, direct drop, being removed from v1.43. In the latter case, this can work by providing more floaters, while it's not possible for the former due to the One Skill Per Lemming gimmick also enabled. The easiest fix, though, is to simply put terrain underneath the exits.

The first rank is LPI, where the levels are ones that got replaced around v7 of the pack for Dos/NL. Nothing special about this rank, so not much to say here other than I have played all these levels before, when I played the pack on Dos many years ago. I was able to complete all of the pack except for 2 levels. I know the solutions to them, it's just very difficult and nearly impossible to pull off successfully on the Dos engine. One of the levels I couldn't solve is in this rank, LPI 7 - Phase Rotation Syndrome. I finally was able to solve the level on NL thanks to framestepping and the ability to assign skills while paused, both of which are absent in Dos.

The second rank is LPII Repeats. In regards to the other Lemmings Plus packs, I haven't played any of the others except for LPI. The levels here are all from the Bonus pack for LPII and are a huge step up in difficulty. It goes to show that despite being in the Bonus pack, it's no cakewalk at all. I totally didn't expect this harsh increase in difficulty going from LPI to LPII, especially in a recycle bin pack. In this case, all of the timers are super tight. I personally don't mind time limits, but I guess I do mind if there's too many tight ones in a row. LPII Repeats 1 - Can't Stop the Lemmings is an unusually very difficult level for an otherwise very straightforward puzzle only due to the very strict 1 minute time limit. It took several tries for me to get the timing correctly. I'm not sure if it's possible to get everyone home and meet or exceed the save requirement before time runs out. Other than this level, the rest weren't as difficult, except for the last two, LPII Repats 8 - The Comeback and LPII Repeats 9 - The Olempic Games, both in the Purple tileset. The former was a great puzzle that took me some time, while I say the latter is worse due to having a precise builder placement in order to reach the ceiling successfully.

The third rank is LPII Gimmicks, featuring LPII levels or those in the Bonus pack that aren't repeats of earlier levels in the pack with some of the culled gimmicks. This is the first time in the longest time I have played levels with gimmicks, although I recently played some in Gigalem's zombie pack, while it's been months since I last played Strato's Lemmicks. Since there are several ranks here with gimmicks, it seems that namida was as much of a fan of them as Strato is. Here, the gimmicks active aren't explicitly stated in a pre-text, but the level titles usually hint as to which one is. The most prominent gimmicks in this rank are no gravity and karoshi. The rank starts off with a karoshi level, where the goal is to kill lemmings instead of save them. LPII Gimmicks 2 - The Haunted House features the unalterable terrain gimmick, and LPII Gimmicks 3 - Overflow Zone features the overflow skill gimmick. I say the former's title wasn't obvious at all that it has the unalterable terrain. The remainder of the rank featured either no gravity or karoshi. I personally am not a fan of no gravity, but I really loved the karoshi levels. Compared to the previous rank, the levels here are easier IMO. In particular, the karoshi levels were much easier compared to some of the no gravity levels. The level that took me the longest to figure out was LPII Gimmicks 15 - Rescue Operation XIII. Definitely not a hard level, but it took me a long time to see how the miners are used to get the lemmings from the right entrance down to the exit. I initially kept thinking that I needed to use a builder wall to get them down. Turns out it's not possible due to not enough builders provided. Pretty great puzzle, though! :thumbsup:

The 4th rank is LPII Others, featuring levels that were rejected from the LPII pack or from the Bonus pack. The most prominent gimmick in this rank is frenzy, where you cannot pause the level. There are several floater frenzy levels here, which are nothing but assign floaters to lemmings without the ability to pause. I tried to go for a 100% solution whenever I could, but after a few levels I gave up on trying for it. The saving grace is that you're allowed many losses, making the levels easy. The only exception is LPII Others 11 - Floater Frenzy: Perfect Edition. As the title suggests, you have to save everyone, meaning you cannot miss a floater assignment. I had to rewind a few times, but it took me about 2 minutes to get it solved.

There are other frenzy levels with other skills here as well, although they're just one-off levels. LPII Others 4 - 404: Exit Not Found is nothing special other than it's a hidden exit level, as the title suggests. LPII Others 5 - OH **** is an extremely easy level if you pause, so thank goodness frenzy is not enabled here. Finally, LPII Others 6 - Secrets of the Lemmings is the 3rd non-gimmick level in the rank and is quite easy. Other notable levels include LPII Others 9 - Flashback Frenzy, which is a WAFD level type but without the ability to pause like the word "frenzy" in the title suggests but very easy if you use less diggers rather than assign 1 digger to every lemming, LPII Others 10 - Buildo Frenzy, which as the title suggests is assigning builders without the ability to pause, again very easy level, LPII Others 12 - Athlete Frenzy, being unique in that you have to assign every lemming both a climber and floater, hence the "athlete" part of the level title (I had a good rhythmn going switching between the skills and assigning the skills to the lemmings for a good 10-15 seconds before I got thrown off track and then I had to start rewinding several times), and finally LPII Others 13 - Bomber Frenzy, a karoshi level where you bomb lemmings and kill as many lemmings as you can before you end up saving too many, without the ability to pause, of course.

The 5th rank is LPIII Repeats, which are levels from the LPIII Bonus pack that are repeats of levels found in LPIII. About half of the rank is X-of-everything levels. The first 7 levels are this type of level, hence they are all super easy, with the hardest one being LPIII Repeats 7 - Lemming on Demand, where the X-of-everything levels end with a 5-of-everything. Still not too hard, though. The rest of the rank are non-X-of-everything-levels. The hardest ones for me were LPIII Repeats 9 - Lemming & Paeroa and LPIII Repeats 11 - Raging Racers. The former needs good timing, while the latter has a lot of super precise assignments. In particular, the hardest part was getting the crowd up the left side of the level to use the teleporter. My favorite level of the rank was LPIII Repeats 13 - Door to Tomorrow. Very nice puzzle, especially in regards to turning the two lemmings around to get the right-most button. I learned that releasing the blocker with a miner trick from watching Icho's Youtube solutions, so thank you for that! ;)

The 6th rank is LPIII Gimmicks, the largest rank in the pack and definitely the hardest one I have ever played. These are LPIII levels that were removed due to gimmicks they relied on culled in newer NL versions, as well as non-repeat levels from the Bonus pack. The most prominent gimmicks in this rank are backwards lemmings and one skill per lemming. The rank starts off with a lazy lemming gimmick level with LPIII Gimmicks 1 - Just a Garden-Variety Lemming. Still easy since it's a 15-of-everything level. The next two levels, LPIII Gimmicks 2 - Blow Your Mind!!! and LPIII Gimmicks 3 - The North Korean Method feature non-fatal bombers. The latter is quite clever with this gimmick, given that the only way to escape the starting area

The remainder of the rank mostly rotated between the backwards lemmings and one skill per lemming gimmicks. Truthfully, I somewhat hated the former gimmick, while this rank got me to really hate the latter gimmick. It's a wonder why I didn't mind these two gimmicks from when I played Lemmicks earlier this year. Probably because Strato's levels weren't as hard, while namida's are considerably harder, especially with the latter. As I have said before, it takes a lot to get me to rage at lemmings levels, but it has never been this bad before with these two gimmicks. For the backwards lemming gimmick, they were easier, but can still be somewhat annoying. My two favorite levels were LPIII Gimmicks 10 - Cable Lock and LPIII 14 - Now That's a Lemming!. The former is very similar to a Lemmings Plus Alpha level, so I wondered if namida looked to that for inspiration, while the latter features an extremely clever way to use the Dolly Dimple trick.

For the one skill per lemming gimmick, the hardest levels for me were LPIII Gimmicks 17 - Could You Spare a Lemming?, LPIII Gimmicks 18 - Detour Time, and LPIII Gimmicks 19 - Strange Connections. 17 is hard only due to the area at the very end. I ended up doing some very fiddly stuff to get up to the exit compared to Icho's solution. 18 took me a while to spot the solution, but is quite a nice level. I would say the hardest part is seeing how to get up to the level of the exit with the 3 builders provided. 19 was the hardest and took me an extremely long time to spot the solution. It's very easy if it was a lose 2 level, but since it's a lose 1 level, that made the level that much harder, especially when combined with the one skill per lemming gimmick. Even then, without the gimmick, it would be a much easier lose 1 level. Finally, LPIII Gimmicks 25 - Teamwalk combines both the backward lemmings and one skill per lemming gimmicks together. Not a very hard level per se, but don't be fooled by the seemingly very lenient save requirement. You'll be surprised at how quickly the losses add up due to the blockers to turn the builders around. I say the hardest part is getting up from the initial starting area since you have to get lemmings to face the correct direction in order to do so.

Other gimmicks used in this rank are karoshi, lazy lemmings, and hardworking lemmings. LPIII Gimmicks 23 - What a SNEAKY level! is quite aptly titled. It gives the appearance of an impossible due to seemingly having only two obvious gimmicks active, non-fatal bombers and lazy workers. However, there is a third gimmick that's also active, and that is

I would also say that LPIII Gimmicks 24 - Wearing Out is a level that is ironically named, as here I thought the title would suggest exhaustion/lazy workers gimmick(s) to be active. Instead, the gimmick used is hard workers. LPIII Gimmicks 26 - Broken Lines uses both the lazy workers and backwards lemmings gimmicks. Seemed impossible at first, but that's becauese I struggled with getting the lemmings out the starting area. The first builder assignment is very precise. LPIII Gimmicks 29 - Trivia Time! is a pretty interesting level where if you have read the Lemmings Plus topics or have played through some of the packs and noticed these things, it's very easy to do without wasting your time in bombing to the incorrect teleporters. Only the second and last areas I incorrectly guessed all 3 times. I'm not sure if there's any indicator to point out which is the correct exit in the final area. Too bad you can just simply try out each teleporter and rewind as necessary if it's not right.

LPIII Gimmicks 27 - Gimmick Armageddon is unique in that it combines 4 gimmicks all in one level: karoshi, backwards lemmings, hardworker lemming, and exhaustion. It's definitely the hardest karoshi level I have ever played, but I still liked this level. For a long time, I kept ignoring the bomber pickup because I thought it was impossible to get while still being able to solve the level since you have to kill every lemming. Also I kept trying to see if I could solve the level without it. There were a couple of areas that looked like the lemmings would splat after using two bombers, but I was taken by surprise upon seeing them survive the fall. Looks like namida went to great lengths to prevent the level from being solved wtih just the two initial bombers provided and therefore it is mandatory to get the pickup. My solution ended up being very different from Icho's, although I like his solution much better than mine. It's much easier. I still can't believe I didn't see that part with the builder, though. The trick he used for the climber at the very end was extremely clever.

Finally, as mentioned before both 21 and 28 are broken due to relying on a mechanic that got removed, direct drop.

The 7th rank is LPIII Others, featuring either levels that got removed from LPIII or non-repeat levels from the Bonus pack. This is the shortest rank in the pack, with only 4 levels. LPIII Others 1 - Frantic Frenzy is the most extreme version of the floater frenzy levels, where there's 500 lemmings but luckily you only need to save 200. LPIII Others 2 - In the Frenz-zone is a builder frenzy level where you're given some leeway in the save requirement. I say it's the harder of the frenzy levels, especially the part on the right near the top. Both levels feature an infinite amount of only floaters or builders, respectively. After this,, the final two levels are just standard levels with no gimmicks enabled. LPIII Others 3 - Gotcha Again! :P is the harder of the two, although it's not a very hard level. It's mostly due to how I did the starting area, and my solution ended up being very different from Icho's and much more fiddly. The final level of the rank, LPIII Others 4 - The Lemmings Forums level is an extremely easy 20-of-everything level, made even easier by how you only need to save half, but it's very easy to save everyone in this level. I really love the design here, with the Lemmings Forums site logo, as well as the various emojis and lemming sprites in the level. Very nice looking level. Well done here, namida! :thumbsup:

3 ranks left, 47 levels remaining. Will post my remaining replays as soon as I solve everything else.         

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #254 on: December 01, 2020, 09:48:45 PM »
Gotcha Again! :P is the harder of the two, although it's not a very hard level. It's mostly due to how I did the starting area, and my solution ended up being very different from Icho's and much more fiddly.

This level was actually, more recently, remade in a regular style to replace a broken-beyond-repair-by-NL-updates level in Lemmings Plus IV. The LPIV version of this level is Insane 4 "Toxic Tales".

The former [Cable Lock] is very similar to a Lemmings Plus Alpha level, so I wondered if namida looked to that for inspiration, while the latter features an extremely clever way to use the Dolly Dimple trick.

You are absolutely correct. There is also a Lemmings Plus VI level based off "Plentiful Plans", although the main solution is a bit more lenient and a Plentiful Plans-like solution is required only for the talisman. The level in question is Manic 16 "The Bottom Line".
My Lemmings projects