Poll

Which level did you find harder?

Lemmings Plus Omega II, Sharp 18 "Insanity Plea"
3 (50%)
Lemmings Plus Alpha, Obliteration 14 "Wasted Talent"
3 (50%)

Total Members Voted: 6

Author Topic: Lemmings Plus Series  (Read 131282 times)

Offline joshescue18

• View Profile
Re: Lemmings Plus Series
« Reply #210 on: May 12, 2018, 07:05:48 PM »
I finished Holiday Lemmings Plus.

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #211 on: May 13, 2018, 09:41:30 PM »
Watched Omega.

Puzzling 5, I honestly don't know how this was never noticed before (or maybe it was, and I just forgot?).
Puzzling 14, this might be the first time I've seen someone actually use the teleporters. This was the originally intended solution, although it's early enough in the pack to be an "anything goes, if it works" level.
Puzzling 19, I found it amusing that you set up that containment with the builder, when there's a Stoner available. :P
Perplexing 4 seems to have glitched during conversion and I didn't catch it before. I'll have to fix that. The preplaced lemmings are meant to be blockers. Presumably, the preplaced lemmings aren't perfectly on the ground (they often weren't due to a misleading sprite in older graphic sets), and the code that automatically moves preplaced blockers to ground level (if they're close) must have been culled. (Interestingly, Perplexing 18 is not glitched.)
Mental 14 is a major backroute.
Mental 16 is a new approach, I think - if I remember correctly, most solutions don't pick up that stacker near the bottom-right.
My Lemmings projects
2D Lemmings: NeoLemmix (engine) | Lemmings Plus Series (level packs) | Doomsday Lemmings (level pack)
3D Lemmings: Loap (engine) | L3DEdit (level / graphics editor) | L3DUtils (replay / etc utility) | Lemmings Plus 3D (level pack)

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #212 on: May 16, 2018, 12:24:05 AM »
Watched OmegaII.

Fluffy 13, I think you're the first person to actually find the intended solution exactly here. :O
Spiky 1, you definitely overcomplicated that one a bit. There's no need for such precise timing; just a bit more creativity in containing the crowd. ;)
Spiky 3 is another case where you found the intended solution in a level often solved by alternate means, although this isn't the first time someone's found the intended way here.
Sharp 18, while your solution is not unique as such (you got the intended solution), you're only the second person to ever solve this level (after IchoTolot) as far as I know, so well done there! :)
Sharp 19, while nowhere near the first to solve the level, as far as I know you're the first person to get the talisman here, so well done! :)
Sharp 20, interestingly, your solution is much closer to the original version of this level (never released publicly, but most of the pre-release testers saw it) than the intended solution for the current version. I would still consider it acceptable though, as the biggest trick in the solution (the one with the first miner) is still involved in your solution.
My Lemmings projects
2D Lemmings: NeoLemmix (engine) | Lemmings Plus Series (level packs) | Doomsday Lemmings (level pack)
3D Lemmings: Loap (engine) | L3DEdit (level / graphics editor) | L3DUtils (replay / etc utility) | Lemmings Plus 3D (level pack)

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #213 on: June 07, 2018, 09:37:48 AM »
Uploaded V12.01 of Lemmings Plus Omega and Lemmings Plus V.

Lemmings Plus Omega
- Fixed preplaced lemmings that should be (but weren't) blockers in Breezy 3 "You Shall Walk Again!" and its repeat, Perplexing 4 "Borrow A Bit Of Freedom?".

Lemmings Plus V
- Fixed incorrect music on Blissful 10 "Stop Or Go?".

The download of all Lemmings Plus packs in one ZIP has also been updated accordingly. Lemmings Plus Compressed is unaffected as none of the relevant levels are in it.
My Lemmings projects

Offline joshescue18

• View Profile
« Reply #214 on: June 09, 2018, 02:21:02 PM »
Here are the replays.

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #215 on: August 31, 2018, 03:45:31 AM »
I really didn't like the fact that the Mac-style music rotation (as it was called back when it was an option), so I made an update that uses some (totally, extremely clever) music.nxmi tricks to get the old music ordering back for LPI and LPII. Other packs are unaffected, though Compressed has been updated to reflect the new old musics for the levels in it. Likewise, the "all Lemmings Plus packs" download has also been updated with the updates to LPI and LPII. (And yes, I made sure no LPVI stuff leaked into it, don't worry about that. :P)

Just to be clear, the only thing these updates change is the music rotation; it restores them to how those two packs originally were.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2018, 03:55:50 AM by namida »
My Lemmings projects

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #216 on: September 16, 2018, 11:29:03 PM »
The level lists on the NeoLemmix website have finally been updated to reflect the new-formats versions of the Lemmings Plus packs. Enjoy.
My Lemmings projects

Offline Akseli

• View Profile
« Reply #217 on: September 22, 2018, 10:25:52 PM »
Okay, after almost 5 years I'm re-tackling the classic debut pack of Lemmings Plus series. Here's how I initially reacted to LPI (then LP Dos Project). There's more comments of mine in the following pages in that thread. I didn't bother to hassle with my old replay solutions and played this pack now completely fresh in NeoLemmix saving replays (attached to this post), so I didn't have to care about physics updates, for example. I remembered well most of the levels, but V7 was the latest version I had played and there was also something new for me after the updates to date. So, I'm most probably trying to refresh my whole LP series repertoire in the near-ish future, playing the updated versions of every pack.

General comments:

- The three first ratings have lots of X-of-everything levels that have repeats later on, this is something I didn't like because the first parts of these level pairs feel redundant. They're meant to be fun action for less experienced players, though by today's standards they tend to be considered as filler levels. Unique levels in those ratings were the most interesting (and memorable) probably just because of that you didn't need to revisit them later. For example, I'd recall that Mild 30: You Just Lost the Game!!! was even voted for the best level in Mild rating in LP pack voteoffs. LPI is the most prominent level pack with this kind of level structure, having levels that are mostly created at first and after that those levels have got their Fun/Tame counterparts.

- That being said, there were level pairs that I liked much, because they really had different and interesting solutions, not just more restricted skill sets compared to the easier counterparts. Examples are Medi 28: Way Up High and Psycho 22: Twins; Danger 27: The Deadly Climb and Psycho 12: Not gonna work.; Danger 28: Coalburner and Psycho 9: Coalburner (Part II). Even tutorial levels Mild 10: Take Your Time... and Mild 22: Blow Down! made great level pairs with their repeats Danger 3: Backdraft and Wimpy 27: Ready, Aim, Fire!!!

- In general, NeoLemmix mechanics have cut a great amount of backroute solutions. Anymore I couldn't steel dig, neutralize trap trigger areas, or climb through terrain. I found lots of new solutions (for me) for the later levels in the pack.

- And, if the first half of the pack isn't that fun for experienced players, I can completely honestly say that there's lots of levels in the second half of the pack that are really good even by today's standards, there's quite a few timeless classics there! I could add Psycho 24: Gone In A Flash to the list I had in my first forum post for this pack.

My comments on some of the levels (contain spoilers):

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: October 29, 2018, 07:15:18 PM by Akseli »

Offline Akseli

• View Profile
« Reply #218 on: October 29, 2018, 07:08:49 PM »
I re-played Lemmings Plus II next. I had solved everything but Genius19: "Wrong Way, Mister Lemming" in two weeks, and after another two weeks beated that one, too. Solutions are attached.

My comments on the earlier playthrough in the initial topic for the pack.

Comments on some of the levels (contain spoilers):

« Last Edit: November 13, 2018, 10:15:00 PM by Akseli »

Offline Akseli

• View Profile
« Reply #219 on: November 13, 2018, 06:02:31 PM »
In a bit over two weeks I finally managed to beat the entire LPIII. This actually is a pack that I've really wanted to re-visit for a long time, because I beta tested it in 2014 but never actually played it after the release, probably because of me getting stuck in some high rating levels already when testing. I tried to find my comments and feedback of this pack for namida, but they're missing, so it seems I actually never posted about this pack in the topic, but discussed with namida through PMs. And I didn't remember that forum PMs from January 2014 - December 2014 are missing (because of the forum migration?) [EDIT: inbox messages are all safe, the PMs I have sent during that time are missing], so I didn't find even the PMs. So, I'm probably giving my thoughts of this pack now for the first time.

So this is the pack that introduced pick-up skills, locked exits & buttons, those anti-splat air objects, and force fields I guess. In the latest version there's no gimmick and secret levels anymore, like they were cut from the new format NeoLemmix version from LPII, too. Compared to earlier packs LPIII has fewer levels, but I actually liked a lot more the quality of these levels, and no level felt "filler" level like a bunch of levels felt in LPI and LPII. The playing time was quite similar to earlier releases because of higher diffifulty overall!

I actually forgot to save a replay for Timid 5 when I went through the solutions after finishing the pack, but then realized that it was saved in Auto-save folder, NeoLemmix is pretty neat! As usual, my solutions are attached to this post.

My comments on some of the levels (contain spoilers):

« Last Edit: November 13, 2018, 07:10:12 PM by Akseli »

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #220 on: November 13, 2018, 10:35:20 PM »
I've added solution replays for Lemmings Plus VI in the first post.

Lemmings Plus VI has also been added to the "all Lemmings Plus packs" download.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2018, 08:01:03 PM by namida »
My Lemmings projects

Offline Akseli

• View Profile
« Reply #221 on: December 30, 2018, 06:55:05 PM »
I played Lemmings Plus Omega through holidays in 9 days, my solutions for all 120 levels are attached to this post. In my initial run in December 2014 I solved 115/120, not beating Mental levels 12: Cave of the Cactus (I somehow think this really works differently now), 17: Recycled Lemming Syndrome, 19: Splittin' Like Crazy (new features helped here), 21: Adventure Time!!! and 29: Through Thick And Thin...

Omega originally introduced the 8 new NeoLemmix skills and stoner and bomber 10-second-countdown objects, but those objects have been removed from this new formats version. Also, Playtime rating consisting of 15 gimmick levels is removed from new formats version. I seemingly never commented much on this pack derivering from my personal messages and topic posts, probably because doing lots of beta testing like for LPIII earlier, too.

Omega was harder than I remembered, and now I skipped Perplexing levels 15: Bouncing Back and 25: That's Quite A Lemming!, and Mental levels 5: (insert clever title here), 18: ...wait, what? and 29: Through Thick And Thin... and came back to those when solving everything else in order. The same thing that LPI and LPII had was present in Omega, too, having level pairs where the first version feels a redundant X-of-everything filler, and the second version is fine. The music track composition was interesting, there were these custom tunes and also L1 and ONML tunes, I don't remember if this is intended. A nice detail in the final level post level screen (in the old Omega, not anymore in new formats version) was a mention of Omega being the last LP pack there will be, but we know that this didn't hold true. :)

Some comments on the levels:

Breezy 6: Mechanical Approach - Why the 5 minute time limit, you can't spend even one in that level? :D
Puzzling 5: No Rush... - Stoner object missing makes this level different than intended. :P
Puzzling 23: Eco-Friendly Lemmings - A great moderate difficulty puzzle level!
Puzzling 24: I Swear Upon A Lemming - Stoner object missing makes a different kind of a level.
Perplexing 9: Stone System - Even without the stoner object, this was a solid level.
Perplexing 12: That's Just How It Is - A very good level, where the solution is easily overlooked!
Perplexing 17: An Urgent Search For Shelter - A fantastic level, might be my favourite of the pack. :)
Perplexing 22: Pick-a-Plan - Somehow this level always felt like having more potential, but the solution is easyish.
Perplexing 23: What a Treevil Level! - A backroute probably. I watched my old solution and indeed, it was more reasonable.
Mental 14: The Strange Construct - Replaces the bomber object level "Something For A Lemming To Do". It's a good level, like namida's replacement levels usually are!
Mental 25: Night Of The Lemming Dead - Replaces "Terrible Sky", heh.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2018, 11:31:46 PM by Akseli »

Offline Akseli

• View Profile
« Reply #222 on: January 17, 2019, 06:51:46 PM »
In 11 days I played Lemmings Plus IV through, I have attached my solutions to this post. Before this, I hadn't solved Insane 17: "If They Only Could Jump..." and 19: "Overclocked Lemming". I wasn't a beta tester for this level pack back in 2015, and my initial comments for the levels are here.

LPIV introduces single-use traps, like mines in Wasteland, and splat-pads and anti-splat pads. The latter objects are quite rarely used in level design scene, I'm not sure how potential they are for good puzzles.

However, LPIV is in my opinion one of the strongest LP games. Namida knows how to make enjoyable easy and moderate difficulty levels, too, and X-of-everything levels are pretty much missing. "Over the Edge" level pair (Smooth 20 and Bumpy 18) is fantastic.

Just realized, the sound effects for single-use traps and teleporters are missing? I'm not sure if it's just for this pack or some others, too.

Comments:

Smooth 10: Having A Lem Of A Time - This level replaces "It's Opposite Day!", so it was a new one for me!
Smooth 14: Cogs of War - "Not Quite Missing the Point..." talisman is funny.
Smooth 20: Over The Edge - The epic Pokémon song isn't there anymore, and the same goes to other rating finales. :( At least the very last level, Insane 20, has the special tune!

Bumpy 2: Cosmic Ray Zone - Has a new good solution, because the radiation object doesn't exist anymore.
Bumpy 6: Chocoholics Anonymous - Brutal difficulty just as I remembered. :D Somehow always roadblocking before Insane rating, even though after knowing the solution it doesn't seem that bad.
Bumpy 9: Mechanical Split - A nice level, the climber is a red herring?
Bumpy 10: Zip-Zap Zone - Just like in my old comments, the tiny builder-platformer-puzzle is a delight !
Bumpy 18: Lem Your Lem Could Smell Like - The absence of the radiation object makes this easier, initially this was quite a challenging roadblock level.

Twisted 3: Crank It! - This level replaces "Minesweeper", so it was a new one for me!
Twisted 8: Oh No! More Ricks! - In 2015 I didn't know to appreciate Rick Sanchez, now I appreciated it, a lot. :P
Twisted 14: A Universal Production - This level is obviously easier without the radiation object.
Twisted 17: Climber's Edge - I love these levels that have simple layouts but there's lot going on in that terrain!

Insane 4: Toxic Tales - This level replaces radiation object level "Ooh, Shiny!", so it was a new one for me!
Insane 7: Dopefish Lives! - The special tune is absent. :/
Insane 17: If They Only Could Jump... - This one I hadn't solved before! Unfortunately I didn't go the long road yet with my first solving. :P
Insane 19: Overclocked Lemming - I hadn't solved this before, and looking from my old solution I was just plain dumb there. :P An excellent level!
Insane 20: Goodbye Galaxy - It's phenomenal. In my old solution I took advantage of solid level edges, new formats solution is a bit harder. Probably my favourite final level of LP packs, not just for the Pokémon tune and Commander Keen reference. :)

This was the last main LP pack that I had saved replays in old LRB-format, my solutions for LPV and LP Omega II are saved in NXRP-format.

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #223 on: January 19, 2019, 09:27:56 PM »
Thanks for the comments! :)

I'll have to look into the music / sound issues at some point.

Insane 4: Toxic Tales - This level replaces radiation object level "Ooh, Shiny!", so it was a new one for me!

This level isn't actually outright new as such. If you remember the Lemmings Plus III Bonus Pack, there was a level in it called "Gotcha Again", a special graphics Rick Astley-themed level like Timid 5 and Twisted 8. "Toxic Tales" is a non-special-graphics remake of that level.

However, LPIV is in my opinion one of the strongest LP games.

This is interesting to me, because I always felt LPIV was the weakest main series pack (and second only to Holiday when side packs are included).
My Lemmings projects

Offline Akseli

• View Profile
« Reply #224 on: February 01, 2019, 07:45:29 AM »
In eight days I managed to gather replay solutions for all 75 Lemmings Plus V levels, most of them I had saved in NXRP-format in my initial run. My solutions are attached to this post. I found this post of mine, but apparently I haven't beta tested LPV and haven't PM:d about it.

LPV was really satisfying to beat, I had left many many levels unsolved 2 years ago. Comments for some of the levels (contain spoilers):

Now I have posted each month starting from September my solutions from re-playing for LPI-LPV and LP Omega (LPVI was also in September as a new release). Among the large namida NeoLemmix packs I have only LP Omega II left then! Not sure if I have time to delve into it so I'd have solutions already in March. :P