Poll

Which level did you find harder?

Lemmings Plus Omega II, Sharp 18 "Insanity Plea"
3 (50%)
Lemmings Plus Alpha, Obliteration 14 "Wasted Talent"
3 (50%)

Total Members Voted: 6

Author Topic: Lemmings Plus Series  (Read 131338 times)

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
Re: [NeoLemmix] Lemmings Plus Series
« Reply #180 on: January 10, 2017, 03:08:36 AM »
There was a problem with the custom recoloring floater / glider sprites in LPIII, LPIV, LPV and LPOmega's newest updates. If you downloaded them and the floater / glider sprites are corrupt, please redownload them now.

LPI, LPII, the Flashbacks packs, Holiday and the LPO2 demo are not affected by this issue.
My Lemmings projects
2D Lemmings: NeoLemmix (engine) | Lemmings Plus Series (level packs) | Doomsday Lemmings (level pack)
3D Lemmings: Loap (engine) | L3DEdit (level / graphics editor) | L3DUtils (replay / etc utility) | Lemmings Plus 3D (level pack)

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #181 on: January 10, 2017, 01:04:11 PM »
As it turns out, the thing about "I won't update the intended solution replays for LPV yet" didn't matter anyway - because I hadn't released them yet.

I have now. :) http://neolemmix.com/old/mypacks/Replays_LPV.zip

As usual, if there's no replay for a talisman challenge, it's because the solution replay provided for that level already meets the talisman requirements.
My Lemmings projects
2D Lemmings: NeoLemmix (engine) | Lemmings Plus Series (level packs) | Doomsday Lemmings (level pack)
3D Lemmings: Loap (engine) | L3DEdit (level / graphics editor) | L3DUtils (replay / etc utility) | Lemmings Plus 3D (level pack)

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #182 on: January 21, 2017, 06:12:46 AM »
I've uploaded updates for Lemmings Plus IV and Lemmings Plus V.

There is no changes to any levels. These updates are because it came to my attention that some of the filenames used for music in these packs (particularly LPIV) conflicted with commonly-used filenames for tracks ripped from Lemmings Touch, so I changed the names to avoid these conflicts.
My Lemmings projects

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #183 on: April 10, 2017, 11:02:27 AM »
All Lemmings Plus packs have been updated for NeoLemmix V10.13.XX. Additionally, as promised, I've now uploaded up-to-date replays - now including replays for Lemmings Plus Omega II. (EDIT: Err, okay, I could have sworn I made a post saying "I'm aware some replays are outdated, I've updated them but I went straight to V10.13 when doing so, so I'll release them when that NL update comes." Seems I didn't actually make that post after all, but I thought I had done when I wrote this one. Anyway - point still stands, up-to-date replays (and LPO2 replays) are now available.)
My Lemmings projects

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #184 on: October 24, 2017, 03:40:30 AM »
I'm (at last) working on an update for these packs to the new formats version of NeoLemmix.

So far, LPI ~ III, Holiday LP and Doomsday Lemmings are done, aside from double-checking (and naming) the talismans. Only LPIII has needed any significant changes (ie: more than just subtle or technical fixes) so far; where four levels that relied on radiation had to be cut or modified, and an additional two that used it solely as a trap needed a replacement trap. A Digger Would Be Handy, which primarily served as a radiation tutorial, has been replaced with a (very) simplified version of Symmetrical Warfare, killing two lemmings with one bomber (this does reduce the total level count to 64). Lem Particle had a slight alteration to use a pickup skill and a traditional bomber. I'm Going To Try Science has an entirely new solution, but the layout remains almost the same (aside from the addition of one terrain piece to make a fall non-fatal and avoid unnessecary floaters). I feel the new solution does a good job of keeping the spirit of the old one, too.

I'll continue with LPIV, LPV and the Omega packs later tonight. I'll probably just put up a single all-in-one release until new formats goes stable. I don't plan to bother with the Flashbacks packs; I might create a new, single "best of" compilation pack that covers the whole series.
My Lemmings projects

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #185 on: October 28, 2017, 11:28:52 PM »
Finally got around to actually continuing.

Lemmings Plus IV changes:
- Splatwire and Zip-Zap Zone just had the antisplat-pad replacing updraft moved to slightly better (visually; it doesn't really impact the solution) locations.
- A Universal Production has an entirely new solution. Like with "I'm Going To Try Science!" in LPIII, I feel the new solution keeps much of the spirit of the old one.
- Ooh, Shiny! got replaced altogether. The replacement level is a remake of a cut level that was cut simply due to "the pack it's in is being withdrawn altogether, and since it's a special graphics level it won't fit properly into another pack" - I remade it in a regular LPIV graphic set.
- Cosmic Ray Zone also has a new solution, but trying to keep the feel of the original solution but without radiation would've resulted in a really boring level here, so it's just entirely new. It isn't overly fancy.

- Lem Your Lem Could Smell Like, I need more time to think about this one. The original solution still works without any changes, but the removal of the radiation introduced a few backroutes that don't appear to have any simple fix. (EDIT: Found an approach that allows the original solution while blocking these backroutes. It does make the solution a bit more easy to spot, but I don't think there's any way around that.)

EDIT: Lemmings Plus V didn't have so much as a single level break. :D Since it's built to modern standards and doesn't use any of the culled object types, it was fairly expected it would be the most straightforward.

The Omega packs are going to be a bit of a pain, though...

For Lemmings Plus Omega, most levels have only needed small adjustments. In one case, I adopted what was previously a talsiman solution as now the main solution to the level.
However, the one really tricky case is "Something For A Lemming To Do". Since I can't come up with any good new solution, I'm simply replacing this level altogether. By this point, I'm more than just a little bit annoyed with the removal of radiation, especially given that it makes virtually no difference to the code's complexity (as the countdown-to-explosion code is still there, due to the nuke using it, and that's the only part that was a bit complicated) yet breaks a lot of levels, some of them in ways that wouldn't be picked up by the replay checker... On the other hand, this allowed me to bring back another good level that was lost solely due to there being no place for it when the pack it was in got discarded (actually, this one was a level that had two versions - the easier version was a gimmick level, while the repeat version was exclusive to a bonus pack but had no reason beyond "no place for it" that it couldn't fit into LPIII or LPO. The latter version, of course, is the one that was brought back).

Lemmings Plus Omega II didn't have any levels that were broken in terms of "every known intended / acceptable solution no longer works"; there was one where my intended solution broke but two alternate solutions that I had accepted remain working. However, there are a couple of levels where radiation was used as a form of trap - including one in the form of "radiation near the exit, so lemmings can pass by and exit, but can't pass by and then go off to do other stuff", and these will need closer investigation.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2017, 05:48:13 AM by namida »
My Lemmings projects

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #186 on: October 31, 2017, 05:54:10 AM »
So, three levels left that need attention.

I need to make (or find) a suitable replacement for It's Opposite Day (LPIV), and I need to make adjustments to account for the lack of radiation in Ground Zero and Drawing Dead (both LPIV). The latter will be fairly simple to sort out; the former may be a bit trickier but still shouldn't be too bad.

Then it's just a matter of fixing talismans, and I can release a new-formats version of the packs. I'll include a list of new (or substantially changed) levels.

EDIT: Forgot, I still need to check for (non-replay-affecting) issues with radiation objects in Omega I. Also, this issue with the Machine style probably needs some kind of solution (even if for now it's a temporary one; but ideally I'd like to sort out a permanent solution) before I can release anything.

Okay, all levels are done - levels that need replacements have been replaced, levels that need fixes have been fixed, all levels have been confirmed possible. (After making use of the "change radiation to fire" workaround for some Wasteland levels, there was one level where no existing replay worked, specifically "Ground Zero" from Lemmings Plus Omega II. However, I found a working solution without any further modifications (beyond removing one radiation fire object from the original layout, which I had already done), by slightly adjusting the timing in IchoTolot's replay.

Full list of levels that significantly differ from original (ie: not just "a splatpad is now an updraft" or "radiation that was intended solely as a trap is now fire / trap", or technical fixes):
- LPIII, Timid 12 "A Digger Would Be Handy" replaced with prior Fierce 16 "Symmetrical Warfare" (minus the radiation). In turn, the skillset has been adjusted to make the level much easier.
- LPIII, Rough 4 "I'm Going To Try Science!" has almost the same layout (radiation removed, one terrain piece added) but a completely new solution.
- LPIII, Rough 15 "Lem Particle" now has a pickup skill bomber to replace the radiation.
- LPIII, Fierce 16 "Symmetrical Warfare" as mentioned above. No level has replaced it; Fierce now just has 16 levels like the other ranks instead of 17.
- LPIV, Smooth 10 "It's Opposite Day!" has been replaced with an entirely new level.
- LPIV, Bumpy 2 "Cosmic Ray Zone" has a completely new solution.
- LPIV, Bumpy 17 "Lem Your Lem Could Smell Like", instead of replacing the radiation (as it was semi-trap but specifically relied on the lemming surviving a bit longer), has some terrain changes.
- LPIV, Twisted 14 "A Universal Production" has a new solution that's strongly inspired by the original one.
- LPIV, Insane 4 "Ooh, Shiny!" has been replaced with a semi-new level (it's actually a Wasteland graphic set remake of "Gotcha Again!", originally in Lemmings Plus III Bonus Pack).
- LPO, Puzzling 24 "I Swear Upon A Lemming" has a new solution that slightly resembles the original one.
- LPO, Perplexing 9 "Stone System" has adopted the old talisman solution (with slight changes) as the new main solution.
- LPO, Mental 14 "Something For A Lemming To Do" has been replaced with "The Strange Construct", originally from Lemmings Plus III Bonus Pack.

Talisman fixes are all that's left now.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2017, 02:04:34 AM by namida »
My Lemmings projects

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #187 on: November 11, 2017, 08:24:45 PM »
I have decided to put further work on updating these packs (and releasing them) on hold, pending:

1. Waiting to see what other physics changes occur that might affect it
And
2. Whether new formats actually gets adopted by the community, as I'm starting to notice a lot of frustration with the culls. If it isn't going to be widely used I don't see any point in updating my packs.
My Lemmings projects

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #188 on: November 12, 2017, 04:48:18 AM »
But I also figure I may as well at least release these. Here's the versions of levels where the solution signficantly differs from before, or where the level itself is entirely new (or possibly just not very well known among newer players).

"Having A Lem Of A Time" was the replacement for "It's Opposite Day", while "Toxic Tales" was the replacement for "Ooh, Shiny!". The former is a completely new level.
My Lemmings projects

Offline joshescue18

• View Profile
« Reply #189 on: December 21, 2017, 03:02:05 AM »
I solved them all.

Offline Akseli

• View Profile
« Reply #190 on: January 08, 2018, 09:33:42 PM »
I guess this is the topic to post replays and discuss any of Lemmings Plus levels nowadays, so they're all collected in the same topic (?).

When nominating 'Level of the Year' levels and looking at level packs released in 2017, I realized that I somehow never played LPOII after I pre-release tested the two highest ranks, so last Christmas holidays I finally tried the levels that weren't in my pre-release testing ranks.

I have attached my solutions in this post, so if you namida have time and interest to watch these at some point, I'd like to hear if they're acceptable solutions or so. The replay package also contains those solutions of the higher ranks I recorded back in the pre-relase test that work still in the newest version, though some of them I needed to re-adjust a bit (for example, check out Sharp20: The Lem Goldberg Contraption, I again did the ending part a bit differently now).

I'm especially interested in my solutions for the following levels:

Fluffy6: Yes We Can! - Found a pixel precise solution rather than a clean one.
Coarse3: A Mind Of Their Own - A certain skill saved, and this was a tricky solution in this part of the pack.
Coarse12: Lemming All-Sorts - Wow, amazing level but really tough (for its place), if my solution is the intended one, see that certain trick there with my third last skill assignment.
Coarse15: The Troublesome Trio Strikes Back - Seems to be a shortcut, seems that there's many possibilities for this kind of stuff.
Spiky2: The Space Bar - Tight in many places, I'd believe this is not the intended solution?
Spiky13: Zombie Fence - Didn't use all the skills, still could be intended, great level!

Offline joshescue18

• View Profile
Re: [NeoLemmix 10.13.xx] Lemmings Plus Series
« Reply #191 on: February 24, 2018, 10:03:44 PM »
I solved them all.

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
Re: [NeoLemmix mixed-vers] Lemmings Plus Series
« Reply #192 on: March 17, 2018, 02:44:20 AM »
Lemmings Plus I has now received an upgrade to new-formats, see first post for download link. The solution replays have also been updated accordingly.

No levels were removed / added but a few had minor tweaks to them. Three talismans were removed due to using no-longer-supported requirements; Wimpy 22, Danger 11 and Danger 30.
My Lemmings projects

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #193 on: March 17, 2018, 03:24:57 AM »
Lemmings Plus II update is here as well.
My Lemmings projects

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #194 on: March 17, 2018, 03:54:10 AM »
Holiday Lemmings Plus is updated now.

Since the remaining packs depend more heavily on specified music tracks, I might wait until the bug where paths get stripped from music filenames when saving is fixed in the associated tools before doing anything with the remaining packs, depending how long that ends up taking.

EDIT: Now that I think about it, LPIII and Omega won't be too much hassle, so I'll do those now as well. But I might wait a bit for LPIV, LPV and LPO2.

EDIT: LPIII done.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2018, 05:25:36 AM by namida »
My Lemmings projects