Poll

Which level did you find harder?

Lemmings Plus Omega II, Sharp 18 "Insanity Plea"
3 (50%)
Lemmings Plus Alpha, Obliteration 14 "Wasted Talent"
3 (50%)

Total Members Voted: 6

Author Topic: Lemmings Plus Series  (Read 131283 times)

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
Re: [Fangames] Lemmings Plus Series
« Reply #45 on: May 11, 2015, 09:14:20 AM »
I'm thinking it might be worth swapping around the Medi 23 and Danger 9 talismans in terms of their ranking. The Medi 23 one isn't too hard for experienced players, while the Danger 9 one can be quite tricky to execute correctly (though it'd definitely still be the easiest of the golds, apart from the "solve the final level" one). I'm also probably going to try and find two more to add, so that we don't have empty space on the final page. :P

I thought Psycho 14 might be a good level for the "assign skills to only one lemming". However, every solution I can find needs one extra skill. The skill could be any of builder, basher, miner or digger, with builder and basher being tied for easiest - but as-is, it'd seem it can't be done. There are even some ways that save 98% (or in some cases, would save 98% if the time limit didn't interfere - and this is on a level with an 8 minute time limit!), one of which only fails to save the required 100% because of a lemming slipping past before the crowd can be contained, rather than the worker becoming unsavable.

EDIT: Okay well, I found a different level that one-skill-per-lemming works well on. As for the skills-for-one-lemming-only; I found another level that it would work well except the time limit prevents it from working (I managed to save 50%, with the rest only being not saved due to time (and only by about 5-10 seconds); but the level in question requires 100%). I'll see if I can improve this one to get the required 100%...

EDIT: Improved to 55%. Still very far from the goal.

EDIT: Got 95% now! Same basic strategy, just a few time-saving improvements. If I can get this to work at all, it's definitely a Gold...
EDIT: Improved to 97%. Sooo close...

EDIT: Got it! Whatever I did this time must've made a lot of difference, because instead of falling two lemmings short, I saved them all with 3 seconds to spare. :D
« Last Edit: May 11, 2015, 12:40:43 PM by namida »
My Lemmings projects
2D Lemmings: NeoLemmix (engine) | Lemmings Plus Series (level packs) | Doomsday Lemmings (level pack)
3D Lemmings: Loap (engine) | L3DEdit (level / graphics editor) | L3DUtils (replay / etc utility) | Lemmings Plus 3D (level pack)

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #46 on: May 11, 2015, 01:32:14 PM »
Okay, I'd like to present "Lemmings Plus I with Talismans, Version 2"! :) This one fixes some issues (like the holding arrow key = crash), and adds a talisman completion percentage to the talisman record screeen. (This is based on a slightly-weighted count of how many of the total talismans you have, with the weighting ratio being 3:4:5 (bronze:silver:gold).)

It also adds two new talismans, both of which use one of the newly-added challenge types. Also, the Medi 23 talisman has been downgraded to silver, while the Danger 9 talisman has been upgraded to gold.

While testing this, I ran into some issues where, once the new ones were added, it would report that I already had one of them, while reporting that I no longer had one of the old ones. I'm almost certian I've fixed this issue, but please let me know if you run into any issues of receiving talismans you didn't have before, or losing ones you did have.

Just for the record, I can definitely assure you all 25 talisman challenges are possible. I've got (though I haven't yet uploaded) replays for all of them. :) The hardest ones are obviously the gold ones (apart from "Beat the final level"), I'd say the hardest of all is either the Wimpy 10 "Labyrinth of Despair" one, or the newly-added Danger 11 "The Warp Room" one.

Here's the finalized talisman list for LPI:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

While I might wait for more feedback before releasing anything, I'm going to start working on talismans for the other games now. They'll generally be in the order of release, though Holiday Lemmings Plus might be a bit out of order. (And in case anyone's wondering, yes, I plan to add them to Doomsday Lemmings too.)

While this may be subject to change, I'm aiming for a similar ratio that LPI had, or maybe slighlty higher - approximately 1 talisman for every 6 levels the game has. Like I have here, I'll probably round it either up or down so that every page is filled.

I'm currently working on picking some for LPII. So far, I've gone through up to the end of Sneaky and come up with 13 of them, including two Gold (which happen to be on two consecutive levels) and three silver.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2015, 10:23:16 AM by namida »
My Lemmings projects
2D Lemmings: NeoLemmix (engine) | Lemmings Plus Series (level packs) | Doomsday Lemmings (level pack)
3D Lemmings: Loap (engine) | L3DEdit (level / graphics editor) | L3DUtils (replay / etc utility) | Lemmings Plus 3D (level pack)

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #47 on: May 12, 2015, 07:53:41 AM »
Alright, the talisman list for Lemmings Plus II is complete. I do need to go through and make replays of all of them myself before I release the update, though. (It's just my policy to not release anything I don't have a solution replay for, basically.)

EDIT: Lemmings Plus II with talismans has been uploaded. :) There's 9 Bronze, 8 Silver and 3 Gold.

« Last Edit: May 16, 2015, 10:16:00 AM by namida »
My Lemmings projects

Offline IchoTolot

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: May 12, 2015, 10:57:15 PM »
Ok after a week of break from recording I finished the recording of Lemmings Plus II. Good stuff there  :thumbsup:, but one question:

Why 1% on Dungeons of Death? ???

I saw your comment video on your channel today, but getting to the exit is not that big of a deal.
In my opinion saving a good amount is the real challenge!
I myself got 55% on the third try and I could go up another ~10% with a bit of tuning (Like on the first barricade I upped the release rate to 99 instead of the way I got through the other ones).

No holding back required namida! It's the Genius rating and I expect you to "Hurt me plenty" (little reference ;P)  The 1% version would be better in Sneaky in my opinion.

Now back to preparing the next patch for my own stuff :)

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #49 on: May 16, 2015, 06:35:24 AM »
If you want "no holding back", perhaps the Fierce rating of LPIII will be more your cup of tea... muahahahahahahaha! (There's one level in there that, to the best of my knowledge, only ONE person other than myself (Akseli) has solved!)

As far as talismans go for remaining entries; Lemmings Plus II Bonus Pack's ones are just around the corner. I still need to save replays for the two Bronze ones. (Since it's a small pack, it also has a very small number of talismans - 2 bronze, 2 silver and 1 gold; and there's no "Complete the final level" one; the gold one is an actual challenge, and a pretty damn hard one too. :P)
« Last Edit: May 16, 2015, 09:25:15 AM by namida »
My Lemmings projects

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #50 on: May 16, 2015, 10:09:01 AM »
Lemmings Plus II Bonus Pack update has been uploaded. :)

Talisman List:

I've also put these talisman lists into the second post of the topic. You can of course see them in-game, but that might be useful for a quick reference.

Talismans have also been done for Doomsday Lemmings (check its topic for more info); I'll probably do Holiday Lemmings Plus later today but the other three may have to wait a while, we'll see. (EDIT: Holiday Lemmings Plus is done. Like the other small packs, it only has a very small number of them.)

EDIT: So, working on LPIII's now. So far I've come up with 12 (two of which are just for beating a specific level with no extra restrictions - aside from the final level; the other is for Dodgy 18, and that one isn't a gold), ideally I'll get 3 more before releasing the update. Bonus pack will most likely have 5; Omega will be either 20 or 25.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2015, 04:38:27 PM by namida »
My Lemmings projects

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #51 on: May 21, 2015, 10:13:35 PM »
Lemmings Plus III update is finally here; sorry about the delay!

Talisman List:
My Lemmings projects

Offline Wafflem

• View Profile
« Reply #52 on: June 05, 2015, 03:05:48 PM »
Since you're now working on V1.35 (and the NeoLemmix Graphic Tool is more or less in a working state), have you gotten around to the 16/32 graphic set switch for LPII/Bonus/LPF? I honestly miss the 16-bit DOS graphics, and would really like to play LPII/Bonus/LPF in those graphics again. It would make sense too since LPI uses 16-bit graphics as well.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2015, 02:12:38 PM by DynaLem »
YouTube: www.tinyurl.com/YTWafflem
Twitch: www.twitch.tv/Wafflem467

Have level designer's block right now? Have some of my incomplete levels for LOTS of ideas!

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #53 on: June 10, 2015, 08:54:46 AM »
Updated all of these (except LPIII Bonus and Omega which didn't have a V1.34n-B update, and LPIV which was already on V1.34n-C) to V1.34n-C, due to the major oddtable issue in V1.34n-B. This should only matter for LPI (and would also for Omega, except that didn't receive a V1.34n-B update yet anyway), but I updated all of them just in case.

The update does have a minor issue with oddtabled levels still, but it's very minor - simply that they use the music from the level they copy, rather than their own. As far as I can tell, everything else works as it should, so I won't worry about putting out yet another update just to fix this; I'll just fix it in the next general update.

I also realised - again - that I've kept putting off adding talismans to the last two games that need them (LPIIIBonus and LPOmega). I'll try and get at least LPIII Bonus done tomorrow; Omega may take a bit longer due to it being a much larger pack.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2015, 03:59:15 PM by namida »
My Lemmings projects

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #54 on: June 11, 2015, 04:27:14 AM »
As promised, LPIII Bonus Pack update is here. :)

Talisman list:

I'll try and get Omega done over the next few days too, though as I said before, this may take a bit longer since it's a larger pack and also has a lot of X-of-everything levels which are generally the ideal type for talisman challenges. I'm going to aim for at least 20, maybe even 25 talismans for this one.

EDIT: Might get Omega done today too, after all. I've found a lot of pretty neat challenges in Breezy already, still need to look at the other ranks (although as I suggested earlier, there's one for Mental 30, but it's "Save 100%" rather than just beating the level. I did find a somewhat tidier way to do this than the previous 100% solution I'd seen, though.)

EDIT: Got 14 so far. 7 Bronze, 5 Silver and 2 Gold. All but two so far actually require saving a specific percent, though often this is in combination with other factors. (Edit: 16 now; one new Bronze and one new Silver. One of these new ones is unique among LP talismans so far, in that it doesn't require actually passing the level.)
« Last Edit: June 11, 2015, 06:34:05 AM by namida »
My Lemmings projects

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #55 on: June 11, 2015, 09:25:18 AM »
Omega update is here. :)

Talisman list:
My Lemmings projects

Offline 607

• View Profile
« Reply #56 on: June 14, 2015, 08:08:06 AM »
I've recently started Lemmings Plus I, and I like it a lot! I love how the Mild rated levels are easy, but not too straight-forward. They're not in any way like the bland Tame levels of ONML. This starting rating Mild is both easy to get into for newer players and interesting to play through for more experienced players! :thumbsup:

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #57 on: June 14, 2015, 11:05:17 AM »
Glad to hear you're liking it! :D Wimpy isn't much harder for the most part, but the levels do tend to be a bit longer. Once you get to Medi, that's where the difficulty starts to pick up a bit. :)
My Lemmings projects

Offline 607

• View Profile
« Reply #58 on: June 15, 2015, 05:01:05 PM »
I just finished Mild, and really liked it. Most of the levels were quite straight-forward, but again: not as bland as ONML's. Some of them had a good puzzle, too (obviously nothing new to me, but teaching tactics new-comers should know).
The sound bug still happens to me, though :( It's not really a problem, but it's a shame I don't know what's causing it. S doesn't fix it either.

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #59 on: June 16, 2015, 02:01:50 AM »
Out of interest...
1. Is music also affected?
2. What version of Windows are you on? (Or are you using it on Linux under WINE?)
My Lemmings projects