Poll

Which level did you find harder?

Lemmings Plus Omega II, Sharp 18 "Insanity Plea"
3 (50%)
Lemmings Plus Alpha, Obliteration 14 "Wasted Talent"
3 (50%)

Total Members Voted: 6

Author Topic: Lemmings Plus Series  (Read 131268 times)

Offline Wafflem

• View Profile
Re: [Fangames] Lemmings Plus Series
« Reply #15 on: February 04, 2015, 01:45:56 AM »
How about the pre-V7 levels that were present in the NeoLemmix version?

Hm, perhaps one suggestion to that could be to make them secret levels?
YouTube: www.tinyurl.com/YTWafflem
Twitch: www.twitch.tv/Wafflem467

Have level designer's block right now? Have some of my incomplete levels for LOTS of ideas!

Online namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #16 on: February 04, 2015, 01:51:17 AM »
They'll still be included in the same way they are now.

Testing is up to Psycho 21 now. A few levels have had some changes; two relate to either being impossible or near-impossible under NeoLemmix mechanics (you have to keep in mind; the last time LPDOS was fully inspected under NeoLemmix mechanics was, IIRC, before LPIII was released, and there have been quite a few small mechanics changes since then), while others are some difficulty tweaks on levels that are excessively easy for their position. One is a backroute fix I couldn't resist applying.

The full list of changed levels so far is:
Danger 23 - The aforementioned backroute fix. Also affects Wimpy 25.
Danger 24 - Made this level MUCH harder.
Psycho 5 - Made this level slightly easier (it's still very hard).
Psycho 13 - This level (or at least its intended solution) was impossible under NeoLemmix mechanics in its current state. Also affects Medi 1.
Psycho 14 - Made this level slightly harder.
Psycho 17 - Made this level slightly harder.
Psycho 18 - Removed one skill that isn't nessecary to the solution and could potentially open backroutes (though I'm not currently aware of any).

EDIT: One other level had a change, albeit a purely cosmetic one - Psycho 30's screen start position had become messed up somewhere along the line; it's been set back to what it should be now.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2015, 04:30:38 AM by namida »
My Lemmings projects
2D Lemmings: NeoLemmix (engine) | Lemmings Plus Series (level packs) | Doomsday Lemmings (level pack)
3D Lemmings: Loap (engine) | L3DEdit (level / graphics editor) | L3DUtils (replay / etc utility) | Lemmings Plus 3D (level pack)

Online namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #17 on: February 04, 2015, 05:32:26 AM »
Lemmings Plus DOS Project I's conversion has been done. And yeah, since it has less and less similarity to the DOS versions each time (as well as that that was originally a codename), I felt it was time to drop the "DOS Project" from the name. So, it's now called "Lemmings Plus I". (Though I'm sure people will still know what you mean if you use the old name.)

The links have been added to the original post. The following levels have been changed relative to the last (unofficial) NeoLemmix version:

Wimpy 25 - Slight layout change due to Danger 23's modification.
Medi 1 - Slight layout change due to Psycho 13's modification.
Danger 23 - Backroute fix.
Danger 24 - Difficulty increased a lot.
Psycho 5 - Difficulty reduced slightly.
Psycho 13 - No longer impossible.*
Psycho 14 - Difficulty increased slightly.
Psycho 17 - Difficulty increased slightly.
Psycho 18 - Difficulty increased slightly.
Psycho 30 - Screen start position fixed.

* Just for peace of mind, this level was NEVER impossible in any official release; it was just impossible in some of the unofficial NeoLemmix releases. This is a prime example of why they're considered unofficial - they aren't fully tested in-depth to the same extent official releases are.

The last traditional Lemmix version is still available on DropBox (so is the new version if you'd rather download it from there); there's also replays for the new NeoLemmix version there.

EDIT: So far, LPII has been tested as far as the end of Cheeky Sneaky (excluding secret levels, both their access and the levels themself).
« Last Edit: February 04, 2015, 08:04:56 AM by namida »
My Lemmings projects
2D Lemmings: NeoLemmix (engine) | Lemmings Plus Series (level packs) | Doomsday Lemmings (level pack)
3D Lemmings: Loap (engine) | L3DEdit (level / graphics editor) | L3DUtils (replay / etc utility) | Lemmings Plus 3D (level pack)

Online namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #18 on: February 04, 2015, 10:35:39 AM »
Done LPII up to the end of Cunning.

About Cheeky 8, while it keeps its same position, it and Cunning 19 are swapped in terms of how difficult they are. Cheeky 8 has been made a lot easier (50 of everything instead of 25, and only 40% requirement), while Cunning 19 has been made a lot harder (3 minute time limit, 100% required, skillset is only 2 each of builders, bashers, miners and diggers (none of the other skills)). This is possible due to one key difference in how the No Gravity gimmick functions in NeoLemmix. The other three gimmick levels remain as-is.

EDIT: Done up to Genius 5 now. Genius 2's save requirement has been increased to 100%, all other levels remain unchanged. I gotta say... no matter how many times I've beaten it (and the fact that I made it), Genius 3 is one of those levels that I can never quite remember how to do...

EDIT: All of LPII is done now. Most of the bonus pack is done too; only Rush and the secret levels still remain.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2015, 03:56:39 PM by namida »
My Lemmings projects

Offline Wafflem

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 04, 2015, 03:34:05 PM »
Another concern is the pre-text screens in the gimmick levels of LPII and LPIII. When I first played LPII, I had no idea what the gimmicks were, and it took me a while to figure them out and how to use them and their concepts to solve the puzzle. Part of the fun of gimmick levels is figuring out what the gimmick's features are. If I were to introduce LPII to the average Lemmings player, I feel that explicitly stating what the gimmick does spoils the surprise for the player

One suggestion to that would be to explaining the gimmicks' features as post-text screens after beating the level.

However, the pre-text screens are fine as-is in the LPII and LPIII Bonus Packs.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2015, 03:40:23 PM by DynaLem »

Have level designer's block right now? Have some of my incomplete levels for LOTS of ideas!

Online namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #20 on: February 04, 2015, 04:00:51 PM »
IMO, most gimmicks are obvious almost right away (and indeed, that's how I intended them to be), with the obvious exceptions of the ones first used in Sneaky 4 and Playtime 10 (and, in a sense, Dodgy 18). The player still has to work out how to deal with the gimmick (or in many cases, actually make use of it rather than just working around it), as well as work out the exact details of how it functions - all they're given in most cases is a brief overview of the concept.

For LPII, the levels that were modified are:
Cheeky 2 - Tidied up the one-way arrows
Cheeky 3 - Tidied up the one-way arrows
Cheeky 8 - Majorly decreased the difficulty (save requirement reduced to 40%, skillset increased to 50 of each)
Sneaky 6 - Tidied up the one-way arrows
Cunning 9 - Replaced fake exit with the fire object
Cunning 18 - The entrance on the right side is now left-facing
Cunning 19 - Majorly increased the difficulty (save requirement increased to 100%, first four skills reduced to 0 each, last four to 2 each)
Genius 2 - Somewhat increased the difficulty (save requirement increased to 100%)
Genius 13 - Somewhat increased the difficulty (save requirement increased to 85%; yes, this is possible on the NeoLemmix version*)
Genius 20 - Slightly moved the exit position to keep it in line with certain terrain features
There's one other level too, but I'll leave that one as a surprise. It's very noticable.

* I actually can't think of any reason why this 85% solution wouldn't work on the traditional Lemmix version too (give or take 1%), though I didn't try it. If it does, then this is a MAJOR oversight by all of us - the current record stands at 79%! EDIT: I checked, and it won't work on the traditional version due to a difference in the skillset (which was nessecary because the traditional version's solution won't work on the NeoLemmix version due to differences in builder mechanics). However, I can confirm 86% is possible on the NeoLemmix version, though I don't plan to change the requirement to this, it's fine as it is.

For the bonus pack - I haven't actually made the modifications yet, just identified where they're needed (and this doesn't include Rush or secret levels as I haven't looked at them yet):
Reverse 6 - One less builder (as it's not needed in the NeoLemmix version)
Flight 3 - Tidy up the one-way arrows
« Last Edit: February 05, 2015, 03:04:49 PM by namida »
My Lemmings projects

Online namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #21 on: February 04, 2015, 04:57:34 PM »
Alright, both of these are done and have been uploaded now. Even if you've played LPII to death, I would advise giving the later parts of Genius another go in the new version... ;)

Aside from the above mentioned levels in the bonus pack, two other levels had modifications - Challenge 7 to fix up a minor misplacement of a terrain piece (I have no idea how that mistake survived for so long xD), and Rush 4 to make it tidier and one part of the execution less-precise.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2015, 03:00:41 PM by namida »
My Lemmings projects

Online namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #22 on: February 07, 2015, 11:11:30 AM »
A couple of backroutes were pointed out to me that were specifically opened up by the NeoLemmix conversion in LPI. I've uploaded a patch to fix these. The affected levels are Medi 23 and Psycho 21. (Specifically, it related to the level borders now acting as walls and being much closer. This does happen on a lot of levels, but in all other cases, it either makes little difference (eg. Psycho 27, where if you reach the wall you're probably going to run out of time anyway), or doesn't work as well as it may seem at first glance (eg. Psycho 1, where there's no way to take advantage of it and still solve the level).

Hopefully there's no issues like this with LPII...
« Last Edit: February 07, 2015, 11:31:19 AM by namida »
My Lemmings projects

Offline Crane

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 07, 2015, 08:32:03 PM »
I hope I'm not out of line by asking this, but would I be allowed to submit my two "Precarious Construction" levels to the next Lemmings Plus pack?

Online namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #24 on: February 08, 2015, 12:30:23 AM »
I don't plan on making any further entries in the series; and the ones I have made are entirely my own content. However, I have at several times thought about trying to put together a "NeoLemmix community pack" - they'd be great for that if this plan ever goes ahead!
My Lemmings projects

Online namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #25 on: February 17, 2015, 02:14:41 PM »
Just wondering if anyone had a go at the new version of LPII yet; in particular the revised skillset of Cunning 19 and...
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
My Lemmings projects

Offline Wafflem

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 19, 2015, 04:06:53 PM »
In Lemmings Plus III Fierce 5 "In the Frenz-zone", I would adjust the size of the level a little bit. Specifically, make it so that I can scroll to the left of the level and not see the electric field on the right. The reason is that the electric field can really hurt my eyes, especially in a level that involves lots of building yet still requires a certain strategy and takes a while to solve and get it all right.

Another missed feature is the forced skillset/gimmick feature. A suggestion for that would be a cheat code to unlock those features, very much like what you did with the Background Color feature.

Also, how's the 16/32 graphic set switch going in LPII/LPIIBonus/Flashbacks? Will there still be links for the traditional versions of LPII and LPIIBonus?
« Last Edit: March 01, 2015, 04:26:30 PM by DynaLem »

Online namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #27 on: February 20, 2015, 03:08:10 AM »
I haven't worked on that feature yet - thanks for the reminder. :)

My Lemmings projects

Offline IchoTolot

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 28, 2015, 07:46:43 PM »
Alright: Completed and recorded Lemmings Plus I (inclusive PreV7)  8-)  Learned a lot of NeoLemmix behaviors (as they are not default or "standard" to me) esspecially at the end of Psycho. All in all a great pack!  :thumbsup:  But maybe a bit too many X of everything levels, but this is just my personal preferance as I am more one of the everything comes together perfectly type of player (example Pieuw's Windy 20 "Nick of Time !" is one of my alltime favorites  :)).

Online namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #29 on: March 01, 2015, 12:30:37 AM »
Well done! :) Glad you liked it. :D
My Lemmings projects