Author Topic: Welcome to the new Lemmings Forums... yet again.  (Read 27673 times)

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
Welcome to the new Lemmings Forums... yet again.
« on: December 15, 2014, 09:48:18 AM »
Well, between the lack of administrator existance and the recent Russian spam, it seemed like time to move again, so... here's the new forum! You may have to re-register, sorry; first, try logging in with your old username, and the password you had around January 2014 (not your new one if you changed it since then). If you see you do have an account here (eg. by checking the member list) but can't recall your password from that time, feel free to contact an admin (myself, geoo or ccexplore) for help recovering it; alternatively you can create a new account if you prefer.

At the moment this doesn't have a very lemming-y look, but I'll be fixing that over the next few days. :)

Geoo and Clam have retained their roles as staff members here (with geoo moving up to administrator), with me obviously also as an admin. Aside from that, we have ccexplore as a new administrator, and Akseli as a new moderator. Proxima also retains position as board-specific moderator for the Challenges board, while Simon and Tsyu have moderator access on the Lix and SuperLemmini boards respectively (due to being the creators of those projects).

Prob Lem was temporarily a moderator to help with one issue, but he has stated he doesn't want a full-time moderator position. Nonetheless, a huge thanks to him in helping dig out the last few missing attachments (as well as for the very nice Lemmings-related creations he always makes and posts, of course)!
« Last Edit: March 11, 2015, 12:26:08 PM by namida »
My Lemmings projects
2D Lemmings: NeoLemmix (engine) | Lemmings Plus Series (level packs) | Doomsday Lemmings (level pack)
3D Lemmings: Loap (engine) | L3DEdit (level / graphics editor) | L3DUtils (replay / etc utility) | Lemmings Plus 3D (level pack)

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
Re: Welcome to the new Lemmings Forums... yet again.
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2014, 12:01:29 PM »
Also, just for reference: Passing a security check is needed the first time you post, and when sending a PM if you have less than 5 posts 1 post. After that, it won't give you those anymore.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2015, 12:26:31 PM by namida »
My Lemmings projects
2D Lemmings: NeoLemmix (engine) | Lemmings Plus Series (level packs) | Doomsday Lemmings (level pack)
3D Lemmings: Loap (engine) | L3DEdit (level / graphics editor) | L3DUtils (replay / etc utility) | Lemmings Plus 3D (level pack)

Offline Prob Lem

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2014, 12:41:43 PM »
Heya namida! As stated on the other forum, I've come on over to get myself registered here.

How many times have these migrations taken place, over the years, then? I've heard of a few of them, but of course I've never seen one!

Offline Simon

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Lix
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2014, 02:01:00 PM »
Very good, a 2015 instance of LF to cultivate.

The migrations in the past were always due to board death, not to admin AWOLness. Let's see whether the users migrate. The 2009-2014 instance is usable still. No proper spoiler tag, wrong board order, ..., don't deter immediately most of the users. The domain lemmingsforums.com is strong on search engines, but good luck in contacting Adam and pointing it here.

Now I can get all my nitpicking about the 2009-2014 design in here later. :-)

-- Simon

Offline geoo

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2014, 02:49:02 PM »
I discourage from moving discussions from the old forum to here at this moment, I really think the database migration is something worth pursuing and having actual content in this forum will just make it a lot harder to do. There's no rush to migrate, it's just good to have this as a place to go to if the actual forum goes down.

Offline Prob Lem

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2014, 02:57:38 PM »
I discourage from moving discussions from the old forum to here at this moment, I really think the database migration is something worth pursuing and having actual content in this forum will just make it a lot harder to do.
Agreed. With any luck all of this can be resolved quickly and painlessly...

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2014, 10:00:48 PM »
I may very well be able to bring the existing posts without having to lose any new ones on here, but I'll look into that later today.
My Lemmings projects

Offline Prob Lem

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2014, 10:22:49 PM »
Does that mean you guys have the post database from the "old" forum now?

Offline Clam

• Smiley: :8():
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2014, 06:52:08 AM »
Well I guess this had to be done sooner or later. Can't have a forum without an admin :\

Here's hoping the transition and archiving go smoothly.

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #9 on: December 17, 2014, 10:09:16 AM »
It's looking like I might have to custom-make something to archive the old one; the HTML archiving software I was trying seems to be more made for static sites, and doesn't do well with the attachments at all. Firstly, logging into an account is very tricky and not stable, so I'd have to get an admin to turn on attachment downloads by guests. Even then, it doesn't seem to preserve their filenames correctly.

I'll have to look into what can be done for this at some point - of course, assuming we can't get server access. Geoo has mentioned that he's contacted Adam so we'll see what comes of that. But one way or another, I am completely determined to at least get *some* form of backup of the current forum, including attachments.
My Lemmings projects

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #10 on: December 18, 2014, 10:19:13 AM »
Alright, I'm going to be able to get the existing posts and attachments for sure. :D I already have them all on my PC; just have to write a program to parse them, then import them to this forum.

Also, you might've noticed the URL changed (and old URLs automatically redirected) to lemforums.neolemmix.com instead of lemforums.nfshost.com. I did this to test if it'd be very complicated to move to a new URL (in case we can get the lemmingsforums.com domain, or register a new one) and it's very simple with no issues whatsoever. :)
My Lemmings projects

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #11 on: December 21, 2014, 09:19:24 AM »
As you've almost certianly noticed, the old posts from both LemmingsWelt and IsaMedia have been added to this forum.
My Lemmings projects

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #12 on: December 23, 2014, 12:08:06 PM »
So, I finally got around to adding the current Lemmings emoticons. Enjoy! :)
My Lemmings projects

Offline Clam

• Smiley: :8():
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 31, 2014, 09:56:01 AM »
The posts-per-day is a bit funky for users who registered here before the move. I'm at 140 per day - maybe I need to put the "Spammer" back in my name :D

Offline ccexplore

• View Profile
can't set my avatar properly
« Reply #14 on: January 04, 2015, 03:33:46 PM »
As you can plainly see, my spinning hamster avatar doesn't seem to animate.  I keep trying to set it to the "specify by URL" option (http://asdfasdf.ethz.ch/~simon/etc/hamster-3.gif), but it seems like the forum keep insisting on turning it into an upload or something, and loses the animated GIF-ness in the process? :XD:

[update: thanks, works now]
« Last Edit: January 04, 2015, 04:25:57 PM by ccexplore »