Author Topic: [Android] Dopey Clones - inspired by Lemmings  (Read 5842 times)

David DC

[Android] Dopey Clones - inspired by Lemmings
« on: November 13, 2014, 05:12:36 PM »
Hello everyone!

I have created a Lemmings like game for Android and Windows Phone 8.
Instead of the lemmings, you can control a mob of stickmen who behave pretty much like the green haired guys.

Maybe you will recognize some of the old Lemmings levels, but others are completely new.

Here is a Gameplay Video of a jungle level.

You can download the game from Google Play for Android, and from the Windows Phone Store for Windows Phone 8.
The first 10 levels are completely free, without ads. The full game, with 100 levels costs 99 cents.

If you have feedback or advice please feel free to share your ideas!

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
Re: [Android] Dopey Clones - inspired by Lemmings
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2014, 05:42:13 PM »
I played the 10 free levels (not the extra 5 I could get by rating it), and I must say it seems pretty good. The controls do seem a bit unresponsive at times, and the skills seem to be performed very slow compared to walking speed, which in turn is also quite slow, even on fast forward. However, at least for early levels, the level design seems pretty solid.

One minor glitch I noticed: When zoomed in, it's possible to scroll further than the level boundaries (though it snaps back once you let go of the screen). I attached a screenshot of this.
My Lemmings projects
2D Lemmings: NeoLemmix (engine) | Lemmings Plus Series (level packs) | Doomsday Lemmings (level pack)
3D Lemmings: Loap (engine) | L3DEdit (level / graphics editor) | L3DUtils (replay / etc utility) | Lemmings Plus 3D (level pack)

David DC

« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2014, 06:02:03 PM »
Thanks for the feedback!

I guess I will try to make the game a little bit faster overall and maybe some of the skills in particular.

The 'glitch' is actually intended, like in a browser on a mobile phone where you can also scroll out of the borders. But you are right, it looks a little bit odd if the level just ends there.

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2014, 06:08:55 PM »
One other thing I forgot to mention - it's probably just because I'm used to Lemmings, and NeoLemmix in particular, but I do find it a bit awkward being unable to assign skills, or at least to select them on the skillbar, while the game is paused.

I'll probably grab the full version and have a look at it more sometime in the near future. :)
My Lemmings projects
2D Lemmings: NeoLemmix (engine) | Lemmings Plus Series (level packs) | Doomsday Lemmings (level pack)
3D Lemmings: Loap (engine) | L3DEdit (level / graphics editor) | L3DUtils (replay / etc utility) | Lemmings Plus 3D (level pack)

David DC

« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2014, 01:05:45 AM »
I have released an update

- The overall speed of the game is slightly increased (~20%)
 - Digging horizontally, diagonally and building stairs and bridges is faster now
 - You can now select skills and clones while the game is paused (but not assign skills - at least for now)

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2014, 02:02:33 AM »
I had a go on the new update and it's definitely quite improved.

Some suggestions:
- The "basher" (not sure what you call it in your version) should probably stop if the terrain in front of him isn't very high. A great example, try bashing along the top of either side on level 12.
- I notice when I use the "nuke", it actually uses up the "bomber" skills. EG: If I have 5 clones on screen, and hit the nuke, the number of bombers I have is reduced by 5. Normally this isn't much of an issue, but if there's more clones than bombers... check the screenshot attached to see what I mean.
- Just a suggestion, for touchscreen displays, I feel it might be more comfortable to have the fast-forward button as "fast forward while held" instead of toggle on/off (ie: while I hold it, it fast forwards, as soon as I let go, it returns to normal speed). Of course, no doubt there's people who prefer it the way it is too, so perhaps it should be an option?
- It'd be nice if it could be seen on-screen while playing how many clones are active and how many have been saved (especially the latter).
- Level 12 REALLY resembles Tricky 3 / Taxing 29 visually, and the exact same solution works too. If it's a paid game, you probably don't want to be copying levels from the original Lemmings games... (I noticed one earlier that resembles Fun 7 / Tricky 19, too.)
- On that note, try using a climber on the right-side wall on that level. The animation seems quite strange... :/
- Generally, if a clone is already performing a skill, it's more likely you'll want to select *that* clone for the next assignment than another one near him (based on experience from Lemmings). However, it's often quite hard to do this. Virtually all versions of lemmings give a lemming that's performing a skill priority over one who's just a walker; perhaps you should implement something similar?

Don't get me wrong, I'm really enjoying it. I just thought I should point these things out. :)
My Lemmings projects

David DC

« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2014, 09:19:31 PM »
I finally found some time to release a small update considering your suggestions.  :)

- A clone performing a skill is now prioritized when clicking on a crowd, instead of selecting the clone closest to the click
- Added a simple percentage counter in the top-left corner under time left, which also shows how many stars you will get for the level
- Added the option for "hold down fast-forward"
- Fixed the bombers being used for nuke
- Increased the total number of pixels a "basher" has to dig to keep digging (200 pixels now)

Thanks again for the suggestions!

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2014, 01:48:37 AM »
I gave the new version a go; seems very good now! :)

That being said, you realise that...
You can solve the "eiffel tower" level, getting 100%, with just two diggers?

I haven't gotten too far yet, but the levels do seem very easy so far in general...
My Lemmings projects