Author Topic: Lemmings 3d  (Read 2770 times)

Offline grams88

• Just one more thing.
    • View Profile
Lemmings 3d
« on: October 20, 2014, 11:26:11 AM »
Hi everyone

I've started playing lemmings 3d that's me onto the tricky levels, What are your guys opinion on lemmings 3d? In my opinion it's not as good as the original lemmings but nevertheless it seems not bad. At first getting used to the camera, all I can say is we must have patience when it comes to using the camera.

When I first tried playing Lemmings 3d I used the dos box and once it starts loading up you have to click control and F12 and that will speed the game up, I would recommend something (over 20000 dosbox cycles and it should run fine hopefully). There is an issue with the sound but I don't use the sound myself as I listen to online radio as I'm playing through the levels.

Here's the website for the dosbox commands, hope it can be of any help.

http://www.dosbox.com/wiki/Special_Keys

I'm onto a pyramid level on the tricky rating, I think the levels have a good design personally, In a way I want to encourage anyone who has not tried lemmings 3d, do give it a go. I admit the only thing that might put you off is the camera angles and moving the camera but once you get used to that I'm sure you will like this one.  :thumbsup:

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
Re: Lemmings 3d
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2014, 12:00:52 PM »
Despite being relatively easy, I loved Lemmings 3D. I did find the camera somewhat annoying though - to tell the truth, I almost always used Virtual Lemming mode.

The one criticism I would have is that the difficulty really seems all over the place - the last few levels of Mayhem are very well placed, but aside from that, it can be quite random at times - for example, the second-to-last level of Fun is quite easily harder than most of the levels in Tricky, and one level towards the end of Tricky, "Chocolate Drop", is harder than anything in Taxing except for maybe "T Minus 5 And Counting" and/or "Death Slide".

The rest of this post may contain mild spoilers; I've spoiler tagged the worst one, but you might want to avoid the rest of this post altogether if you don't want even the slightest hints.

Another thing worth noting is that it's extremely plagued by backroutes - including the final level having one of the most major backroutes in Lemmings history, although it's not immediately obvious just by looking - in fact you might think it wouldn't work if you don't try it. The Mayhem level "Tower of Lemlab" also has a very major - and in this case, quite obvious - backroute.

There are however some very great levels in there, especially towards the end of Mayhem - "Raiders of the Lost Lemming", "Hole in One, Two, Three!" and "Fun Fair" all come to mind here, and perhaps the best level of all, "Critical Path"*.

(I've used level names as I don't remember the positions exactly.)

* A spoilery note on that one:
It might strike some people as a level that's annoyingly strict on time. All I can say is - if you're running out of time, you're doing it wrong - the tight-for-time solution can work, but there's a better way to do it.

It does get annoying when some levels are overly based on guesswork, though (with teleporters or springs) - one VERY major example of this is the Taxing level "Motherboard", which once you know which teleporter to use, is ridiculously easy.
My Lemmings projects
2D Lemmings: NeoLemmix (engine) | Lemmings Plus Series (level packs) | Doomsday Lemmings (level pack)
3D Lemmings: Loap (engine) | L3DEdit (level / graphics editor) | L3DUtils (replay / etc utility) | Lemmings Plus 3D (level pack)

Offline Prob Lem

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2014, 02:44:56 PM »
Lemmings 3D is my joint-favourite game in the series, alongside the Amiga and Master System versions of the original game (and Lomax, but I suspect that most folks have a division between main games and spin-offs!).

It gets an unfairly bad name, so it's nice to see people trying it afresh and giving it a chance. :thumbsup:

I never actually found the cameras to be a problem, myself, for some reason. I tend to swing them around with no difficulty whilst executing solutions. That said, sometimes it is necessary to pause the game in order to get the camera safely into position.

As far as DOSBox goes, the only sound issue it has with Lemmings 3D should relate to the redbook (CD) audio. If you run the included setup program, and switch CD audio off and use the Soundblaster soundtrack instead, all should be well. This is well worth doing, as the game has a fantastic soundtrack.

Offline LemSteven

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2014, 06:19:09 AM »
I'm also a fan of Lemmings 3D, despite the block-based mechanics and the tricky camera work.  There are some great puzzles at the end, although as Namida said, many of them are plagued by backroutes.  In fact, I'm still finding new backroutes almost every time I play!

With that said, it does seem like many of the levels in L3D have a clear intended solution that uses up most (if not all) of the given skills.  It is very much unlike the original Lemmings, which has many levels with far more skills than necessary, providing a much larger variety of potential solutions.  So a few of the less obvious backroutes are welcome in the sense that they provide multiple ways to complete a level, which can be fruitful for challenges (and hence, replay value).

I've also never had too much trouble with the cameras.  I usually have each camera viewing the level at a different angle, and then I can pan and zoom to where the action is without having to rotate much.

I'm not sure what kind of problems you're having with sound, as I've got the game working almost perfectly in DOSBox, complete with full sound.

Offline grams88

• Just one more thing.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2014, 05:47:55 PM »
Thanks for getting back, LemSteven, Prob Lem, Namida

It's interesting how there has been a lot mentioned a lot about backroutes, In a way I do like levels that have multiple solutions but it's once it gets to that point where it defeats the level that's different I suppose. The level (Land Ahoy) interesting as the first couple of times I was doing the level I got killed by the sand trap at the end so I had to re-plan everything so I saved the builder for that last bit. I could be wrong but I think the solution did use all the lemming skills. You got to love those maze levels as I thought the slippy maze level from fun was interesting.
(Slippery maze) I think the level was called, even though this type of puzzle has been used in games for a long time. (I guess the level has that sort of Chips Challenge type puzzle feeling).

So far I'm liking this game.  :thumbsup:

I might gvie an unusal example I remember one level from Duke 3d had a very bad backroute and that level was (Movie Set) as in this level you could just go right to the the exit because of a certain glitch in the game.   

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2014, 05:50:39 PM »
Some of them really do break the level; for example the ones on "Tower of Lemlab" and "Final Maze". Others aren't so serious; for example the one on "Dot to Dot" could even be argued to improve the level as it's quite tedious and boring otherwise (at least it has an awesome music track though, at least when using CD music - that track is actually only used in that level and one other ("Rescue Team"), and personally it's my favorite track in the game).
My Lemmings projects
2D Lemmings: NeoLemmix (engine) | Lemmings Plus Series (level packs) | Doomsday Lemmings (level pack)
3D Lemmings: Loap (engine) | L3DEdit (level / graphics editor) | L3DUtils (replay / etc utility) | Lemmings Plus 3D (level pack)

manic23

« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2014, 05:47:30 PM »
I also love this game but I like the Play station version because I find using the controller easier to use to control the camera. I know you could probably set up the controller on the DOS version but I'm just lazy

Offline Prob Lem

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2014, 05:54:58 PM »
I also love this game but I like the Play station version because I find using the controller easier to use to control the camera.
I grew up with the MS-DOS version, and only got the PlayStation version fairly recently, but I agree with this. In many ways, it improves upon the initial MS-DOS release - it's only a shame that the PSX version is restricted to the lower-resolution lemming sprites.

Its controls certainly get a lot of unfair flack, though, and I've never understood why. Not only could they not possibly have been handled any better, the option to fully remap them is also included - that was a rarity then, and it's even more of one now!

I know you could probably set up the controller on the DOS version but I'm just lazy
I'm pretty sure that the MS-DOS version doesn't support them, as far as I know. So, it's not laziness, it's practicality! ;) (That said, in these days of DOSBox being the main way for most people to run MS-DOS games and software, I believe its built-in key-mapper may allow for the use of joypads in this instance, though I haven't tried it.)