Author Topic: Post-level messages, awards and game completion  (Read 17078 times)

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
Re: Post-level messages, awards and game completion
« Reply #15 on: October 04, 2014, 10:20:52 AM »
Where exactly does the new line fall in the messages? Specifically the H94 ones; so that I can put the correct texts in the Lemmix players.
My Lemmings projects
2D Lemmings: NeoLemmix (engine) | Lemmings Plus Series (level packs) | Doomsday Lemmings (level pack)
3D Lemmings: Loap (engine) | L3DEdit (level / graphics editor) | L3DUtils (replay / etc utility) | Lemmings Plus 3D (level pack)

Offline Clam

• Smiley: :8():
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 05, 2014, 02:28:53 AM »
It did occur to me most of the way through that the newlines might be important :XD:. I'll find those when I get a moment.

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #17 on: October 05, 2014, 02:57:29 AM »
Another thing: Am I correct in thinking CustLemm, Covox and Prima use the OhNo messages?
My Lemmings projects
2D Lemmings: NeoLemmix (engine) | Lemmings Plus Series (level packs) | Doomsday Lemmings (level pack)
3D Lemmings: Loap (engine) | L3DEdit (level / graphics editor) | L3DUtils (replay / etc utility) | Lemmings Plus 3D (level pack)

Offline Clam

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 05, 2014, 05:22:33 AM »
CustLemm uses the ONML text. Covox and Prima use the original Lemmings text.

There's another complication - the alignment isn't consistent, which means they are using spaces to manually align the text.

Offline Clam

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 05, 2014, 09:31:37 AM »
... and (I saw this headache coming) the forum doesn't like leading spaces. So I've attached a spreadsheet here with the L1 messages with the proper spacing. I might end up going this route for all the games, rather than try to fight the forum software :P

I can't tell whether there are trailing spaces, nor whether there's an actual linebreak or just spaces to pad out the rest of the line. If you do need to add trailing spaces, then I can tell you that each line is 40 characters.

Offline ccexplore

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 05, 2014, 10:45:58 AM »
... and (I saw this headache coming) the forum doesn't like leading spaces.

Haven't tried this in tables, but try using the [ tt ] bbcode tag, that seems to preserve leading spaces (and also uses a monospace font which works best for representing the exact spacing and alignment of these texts).

(test with 3 leading spaces)

Offline DoubleU

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 13, 2017, 04:44:55 AM »
There oughta be a set of levels, one per game, to check for all messages. E.g. All the 6's from L1. If necessary, two or more to check if you can't do one in, say, ONML.

Offline DoubleU

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 06, 2017, 06:09:42 AM »
<strong>Post-level messages</strong>
Where more than one of the cases below applies, the order of precedence is: 0 > Bronze > Silver > 1.
Clarify this, please? It's less than clear to me.

Offline Simon

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Lix
« Reply #23 on: December 06, 2017, 06:50:52 AM »
<strong>Post-level messages</strong>
Where more than one of the cases below applies, the order of precedence is: 0 > Bronze > Silver > 1.
Clarify this, please? It's less than clear to me.

When more than one criterion from the list is satisfied, the game needs a tiebreaker to determine what message to print.

Example: 6 lemmings at start, you may lose 0, you save 2. This qualifies for both G-4 (Silver) and S-1 (Bronze). Since, in the precendence list "0 > Bronze > Silver > 1", Bronze comes before Silver, the game prints the flavor text for S-1 (Bronze).

-- Simon
« Last Edit: December 06, 2017, 10:58:26 AM by Simon »

Offline Simon

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Lix
« Reply #24 on: December 06, 2017, 10:58:45 AM »
The precedence list is incomplete, and should read:
0 > Gold > Bronze > Silver > 1.

-- Simon

Offline LemSteven

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 10, 2017, 08:39:12 PM »
Here are the messages for 3D Lemmings:

Personal Record Messages: The game keeps track of your best score and time on each level (except the practice levels).  If you complete a level, and subsequently complete it again with a better score or time, you will receive one of these messages.  These messages supersede the standard messages.
Improved Score: Wow! You beat your record.
Improved Time: Impressive! You were quicker than before.

If you improve both the score and the time, you will receive the Improved Score message.

Standard Level Completion Messages:
If you save every lemming: You can’t get much better than that.
If you save more than the requirement, but not all lemmings: You’ve played this level Before.
If you meet the requirement exactly: That’s exactly what we thought.
If you fall between 1 and 3 lemmings short of the requirement: So Near. But Yet So Far.
If you save at least 2 lemmings, but fall more than 3 short of the requirement: Oh well. Maybe next time.
If you save exactly one lemming: The lone Lemming
If you save no lemmings: Nuke them Lemm’s.

Practice Level Completion Message: When you complete all of the Practice levels, you will receive this message:
Well Done! You Are Now A Fully Qualified Lemming Handler

Rating Completion Messages: After completing the final level of any rating, you will get the standard completion screen, followed by a screen that says:

Congratulations! You Have Completed The [Rating] Levels

where [Rating] is either "Fun", "Tricky", "Taxing", or "Mayhem".  This screen also displays the number of attempts, lemmings killed, lemmings saved, and time used while competing the rating.  After this screen, a cutscene will play.

Game Completion Message: After completing the final Mayhem level and viewing the Rating Completion Message and cutscene, you will receive a message that says:
THE END
Thank You For Playing 3D Lemmings

This screen also displays how many of each skill you used in the game.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2017, 08:44:26 PM by LemSteven »

Offline DoubleU

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 07, 2021, 06:45:18 AM »
Holiday '94 levels reward message:

Congratulations!  You have completed
   all of the new 1994 Holiday Levels.
    Now, enjoy the bonus levels from
  the 1993 edition of Holiday Lemmings!
 Or, for even more bouncing Lemming fun,
contact Psygnosis for information on the