Author Topic: What was your first computer?  (Read 7732 times)

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
Re: What was your first computer?
« Reply #15 on: September 26, 2014, 10:43:50 PM »
I remember my (family's) first computer being a window's 98 and memories I had with would be the cool 3D maze screen saver

That screensaver was one of the awesomest things EVER. :D Even more so when you realised you could draw some crappy picture in MS Paint then set that as the walls. xD
My Lemmings projects
2D Lemmings: NeoLemmix (engine) | Lemmings Plus Series (level packs) | Doomsday Lemmings (level pack)
3D Lemmings: Loap (engine) | L3DEdit (level / graphics editor) | L3DUtils (replay / etc utility) | Lemmings Plus 3D (level pack)

Offline NaOH

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 26, 2014, 10:47:46 PM »
I think that screensaver is seriously what got me into game design. The starfield one is good too; I just haven't been able to find a decent replacement for it.

Offline Prob Lem

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 27, 2014, 12:26:27 AM »
I must admit, I don't even use screensavers nowadays, myself!

I do make up for it by having multiple separate workspaces with different desktop backgrounds, though. :thumbsup:

Offline grams88

• Just one more thing.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 27, 2014, 10:13:12 PM »
You sound a lot like my dad Prob Lem by having multiple desktop workspaces.  8)

Offline Prob Lem

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 28, 2014, 02:14:45 PM »
You sound a lot like my dad Prob Lem by having multiple desktop workspaces.  8)
Heh, neat! :thumbsup:

He's a Linux or Mac user, I assume? Or has this feature finally been introduced to Microsoft Windows, now?

I used to use six workspaces, but nowadays I find four to be just right.

Offline grams88

• Just one more thing.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 09, 2014, 12:50:34 PM »
Hi Prob Lem

He's a Linux or Mac user, I assume? Or has this feature finally been introduced to Microsoft Windows, now?

This is his windows 7, I'm not quite sure how he got it. I remember one day he started showing me the feature.

He does the one where there are three different work spaces,

One other thing my dad tends to do when he is working, he usually has his computer screen up with the business stuff then he has the TV up but he's controlling both screens from the computer, basically he using the TV as another computer screen. I think it's the dual screen feature but then again I get confused with technology these days, I know it's shocking.  :-[

The other thing he tends to do is he has the different workspaces up sort of like he would use the one screen, sort of like this example.

http://www.abctrick.net/2012/03/create-upto-20-different-workspaces.html (Is that not crazy 20 workspaces lol)  :thumbsup:

It does help big time because in the past you are always having to open and minimize documents all the time.

Offline Lemika

• The Lurker in the Level
    • View Profile
    • Corner the Maze - a webcomic
« Reply #21 on: November 03, 2014, 05:23:27 AM »
Wow, those are some long-lived machines! It was the case that x86-based hardware wasn't relevant in the UK home computing market until around 1996 (I mentioned way back in my original post that my C64 was my only computer until early 1996 - that was when our first x86 box came along), so I always find tales from places where they were more commonplace to be interesting - especially since DOSBox now allows me to catch up on games* that I missed out on at the time!

Both of my parents have also been working with computers since the early days of computing, so not only did we always tend to have more computers and more computer hardware around than most people I know, but it's a rare computer problem short of actual component failure that one or another of them wasn't able to fix (and I got fairly good at taking care of my own computers, as well). I spent a reasonable percentage of my childhood, often one day a week, hanging out in the server room at my mom's work (she was a sys admin for the nearby college for the first ten years of my life). That was actually where I played both Quake and Doom first -- the server techs played those a lot on their breaks, and I joined in every now and then.

For similar reasons it's always interesting to me to hear about people who grew up mostly with consoles, as I never even saw one in person until I was fourteen years old, and I still don't own one. The only way I've ever played things like the Sonic the Hedgehog games is via emulator. Just as well, since the few times I have played on a console at someone else's house I've come to the conclusion that the controllers are never sized right for my hands, and are often seem a bit awkward for left-handed use (though that could just be my lack of familiarity).

*I must say, this isn't the first time that I've heard Hocus Pocus mentioned, but to date haven't tried it. What's it like?

It's a good deal like most side-scrolling platformers, with the theme of wizardry applied, so you're firing spells instead of guns. There are also often some puzzles in the levels, at least in order to gain the most treasure you can, and I always thought that the graphics were fairly neat. I don't like it as much as I do Commander Keen, for instance, but it's a fun game. I'm also clearly not very great at describing it!

I enjoyed the naming tangent, by the way, and I'm now going to continue it. ;) My computers (and tablet and phone) all use names derived from skills, difficulty ratings, and Tribes from the Lemmings games. Current devices are Turner, Polar, Runner, and Circus. Previous machines have been Space, Planter, and Thrower. Thrower was the computer that exploded recently - it lived up to its name in that I had to throw the wreckage out. ;P

Cool! I'm not sure exactly why the fictional-city naming scheming started in my house, but I've just stuck with it, since there are a good deal of names to choose from there and it's something of a tradition now. I don't know what scheme I would've picked to name my computers based on if that hadn't been the case.

I've never seen a computer explode, although I've heard tales. The closest I've come to that with my own computers is the one whose CPU melted down the first time it turned off after it had been running for years straight, but I once witnessed my brother's monitor fry itself in a moderately impressive fashion -- it emitted a horribly loud popping sound and then acrid white smoke billowed out of it all along the top of it.