Author Topic: [NeoLemmix] GeoffLems  (Read 33540 times)

Offline Nepster

• View Profile
Re: GeoffLems - v0.02 (updated)
« Reply #30 on: August 26, 2014, 05:39:25 PM »
Taxing 2: Finally solved it without glitching. A brilliant level, though I would rate it at least end of Taxing.
Mayhem 24: After reading namida's comment, I realized what I did wrong and the new solution is much better (and even saves 97%). But I am still no fan of this level.
Mayhem 28: No miner turnaround trick needed here, cf. my solution to V1 (together with using the two skills I had left over to make the fall on the right survivable).

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #31 on: August 26, 2014, 05:53:00 PM »
I didn't need the miner turnaround either; I mentioned that the miner glitch on one-way-right walls prevented a solution from working. But eventually I found another one that isn't prevented by that.
My Lemmings projects
2D Lemmings: NeoLemmix (engine) | Lemmings Plus Series (level packs) | Doomsday Lemmings (level pack)
3D Lemmings: Loap (engine) | L3DEdit (level / graphics editor) | L3DUtils (replay / etc utility) | Lemmings Plus 3D (level pack)

Offline Proxima

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 05, 2014, 11:51:56 PM »
So, I've just played through the Fun rating  8)  Have to agree with the general consensus -- very nice designs, genuinely fun to play through, with more varied and interesting challenges than the Fun rating of original Lemmings. The only levels I wasn't so keen on were 10 "Over Fire Island" (neat puzzle, but this is the hardest level in the rating, so why is it so early?) and 29 "They Can't All Be Zingers", the tutorial level for building over traps. I understand the need for new players to have tutorial levels for what each skill does, but when it comes to concepts, I prefer them to be introduced in puzzle levels so the player can have the satisfaction of working them out for themselves, as with "Compression Method 1" in original Lemmings.

Looking forward to attempting your harder ratings  :thumbsup:

Offline Proxima

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 07, 2014, 11:50:41 PM »
Finished Tricky!  :thumbsup:

Overall, a really nice set, with a steady increase in difficulty and very few levels that felt too frustrating or tedious. I particularly liked Levels 10 "Break on Through" (the first one to stump me for a while); 20 "Sure Looks Like a Custom Level" (a fun little labyrinth); 28 "Proposed Keystone Pipeline" (excellent brainteaser, and no, it's not as hard as namida suggested) and 29 "The Buddy System" (very nice 1-of-each puzzle).

Less keen on 25 "Trick Wire" and 30 "Hangar A", for which my solutions were very fiddly, requiring lots of pausing and spam-assigning. Though I saved one more than required on Trick Wire, so perhaps I missed an easier way?

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #34 on: December 30, 2014, 02:24:19 PM »
It seems the links for this pack's downloads are broken. Does anyone still have this pack, preferably the second version of course?
My Lemmings projects
2D Lemmings: NeoLemmix (engine) | Lemmings Plus Series (level packs) | Doomsday Lemmings (level pack)
3D Lemmings: Loap (engine) | L3DEdit (level / graphics editor) | L3DUtils (replay / etc utility) | Lemmings Plus 3D (level pack)

Offline Wafflem

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 01, 2015, 08:48:36 PM »
Yep. I have it uploaded to my Dropbox. I'll update the Fangame list to reflect this.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/eliw68tum4cnvex/GeoffLems_v0.2.zip?dl=0
YouTube: www.tinyurl.com/YTWafflem
Twitch: www.twitch.tv/Wafflem467

Have level designer's block right now? Have some of my incomplete levels for LOTS of ideas!

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #36 on: January 01, 2015, 09:52:19 PM »
AWESOME! :D It's great that this was able to be restored, it's definitely among the best packs of all time.

I've edited the original post to add your link. :)
My Lemmings projects

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #37 on: March 26, 2015, 03:41:45 PM »
For those of you who didn't already know, I'm doing a series of Youtube videos of a playthrough of this pack. It's not a "blind" playthrough obviously, but especially on Mayhem there's a lot of levels I don't remember the solution to.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLVWvcY0oGEFydXW47eQEGKJjLJf4t_NIQ

Nearly finished now; the videos up to Mayhem 5 are all there, while I'm uploading Mayhem 6-10 and Mayhem 11-15 at the moment.

EDIT: It's finished now.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2015, 11:17:23 PM by namida »
My Lemmings projects

Offline Geoffster

• View Profile
Re: GeoffLems - v1.0 (updated)
« Reply #38 on: July 16, 2015, 02:28:38 AM »
Hi,

I've been tuning this pack over the past couple months:

- Converted levels to NeoLemmix format
- Changed level order
- Fixed steel alignment (finally discovered it's possible to change the height/width of steel pieces :-[)
- Fixed backroutes on several Mayhem levels
- Added a few levels
- Redesigned a few levels
- Built a custom player .exe

Link: https://www.dropbox.com/s/hi5qf9w8r452cgn/GeoffLems_v1.0.zip?dl=0

Same deal... 120 levels, with original skills and mechanics.

I also uploaded a DOS pack which contains most of the new / redesigned levels: http://lemmings-db.camanis.net/levelpack/ag1zfmxlbW1pbmdzLWRichYLEglMZXZlbFBhY2sYgICAgP_CiAoM/

Cheers,

Offline GigaLem

• The Dog That Brought Lemmings to Avalice
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: July 16, 2015, 02:59:36 AM »
You know i can make you a new logo for the menu if you're using neolemmix if you want

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #40 on: July 16, 2015, 04:02:14 AM »
Oh, nice! :) This is one of my favorite packs, so I'll have to check it out again now that it's been updated.

- Converted levels to NeoLemmix format
- Fixed steel alignment (finally discovered it's possible to change the height/width of steel pieces :-[)

You don't need to worry too much about steel alignment in NeoLemmix; the "Autosteel" feature will cover 95% of cases, and the "Simple Autosteel" option used when needed should bring that up to 99%. Only some levels with complicated arrangements of steel and non-steel terrain overlapping each other with also having decorative non-steel terrain overlapping the steel (in cases where this decorative terrain should be treated as steel) might need manual steel areas to be used; one such example is Taxing 7 of Original Lemmings (indeed, the Dirt set seems to be the one that most often has these kind of issues). There's even an "ignore level steel" option, so that you can disable the steel areas (to test with autosteel) without actually having to delete them. :)
« Last Edit: July 17, 2015, 12:27:24 AM by namida »
My Lemmings projects

Offline Geoffster

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: July 17, 2015, 02:16:08 AM »
I did the steel fixes before converting to NeoLemmix.  Basically I took the Lemmix .lvl files, opened and saved with NeoLemmix so I could use FlexiTool ;).  False advertising, I know.

I might release a version of the pack with NeoLemmix rules (no timed bombings, auto-steel) since I did enjoy playing through other packs with these features.  Particulary CopycatLemmings... that pack would have been a nightmare with timed bombings.

Offline Geoffster

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: July 25, 2015, 03:40:15 AM »
Minor update. 

A couple levels which had issues in NeoLemmix... eg. Mayhem 29.  I ninja-fixed them and updated the .zip.  Same link as before.
The 2015-07-24 build should be final.

I put together a youtube playlist showing the intended solutions (Tricky and up):
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL1dOT707jhsiG6pmlWMHEXRmtMwqzcRCt

That is all.  :)

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
Re: GeoffLems - v1.0
« Reply #43 on: July 25, 2015, 07:28:32 AM »
Ah. In that regard, something to be aware of - DOS Lemmings (and by extension, Lemmix) require all steel area coordinates and sizes to be multiples of 4. Additionally, to minimize steel-digging glitches, steel areas generally should extend slightly beyond the edge of the steel pieces. In NeoLemmix on the other hand, steel area coordinates/sizes can be pixel-perfect, and this is generally expected, because of the difference in how steel is handled. Specifically, in DOS, a lemming can destroy a steel pixel, but will generally stop performing the destructive skill upon encountering it (and in the case of a bomber, it's all-or-nothing - if they're standing on steel, no damage is done, if they're not, everything within their radius, even steel, is destroyed). On the other hand, in NeoLemmix, steel pixels are actually indestructible.

Anyway, I'll have a go at this sometime and let you know my feedback. It might take a while, since I don't have as much spare time as I sometimes do at the moment (it sorta comes and goes as to when I do or don't), so the time I do have for Lemmings is generally being spent on completing my playthrough of Lemmings Reunion (great pack, I'd highly recommend playing it if you haven't already) and working on the NeoLemmix Introduction Pack.
My Lemmings projects

Offline mobius

• relax.
    • View Profile
Re: GeoffLems - v1.0
« Reply #44 on: October 10, 2015, 07:53:30 PM »
hey, Geoffster; I've played some of your pack and I felt like some of these levels were backrouted. I attached replays for these if you're interested. I'm pretty certain I have the latest version [1.0]

Anyways, a great levelpack overall :thumbsup:

everything by me: https://www.lemmingsforums.net/index.php?topic=5982.msg96035#msg96035

"Not knowing how near the truth is, we seek it far away."
-Hakuin Ekaku

"I have seen a heap of trouble in my life, and most of it has never come to pass" - Mark Twain